Should the Packers consider Matt Flynn as their backup.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he's the smartest man in football. Play great once in awhile, get a big contract, then sluff off, ride the pine, collect your paycheck, and don't get injured. He's got it figured out!

edit: guess he's got an elbow thing going on, but still....

Last edited:

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Id sign him up in a heart beat, pay him 1-2 million/year to hold a clipboard behind Rodgers. A sweet deal for everyone involved.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Funny you should say that.... I knew something was wrong with him when he was following all the Kardashian sisters on his twitter account, and he was not good-natured about the ribbing he took from me and other about it.

Still don't care about that, he performed better than any backup QB has in GB Packer history.
Bring him back.

Do you have the text of this exchange, I think it would uh... add to the forum.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Please someone explain this BS blind loyalty for MM's QB room he has currently. Yeah, MM what about it? It sucks!! Flynn isn't as serviceable as Wallace?! So sick of blind loyalty overriding what is BEST for the team. Flynn is the best option.

Hjalmar Davidson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, if we lose A-rod we are in trouble anyway. I think MM knows his QB's and I trust his judgment. Personally, I always thought that Flynn got maybe to much QB status for a couple good games. I like Wallace better, he's more mobile and he's played in more games.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Please someone explain this BS blind loyalty for MM's QB room he has currently. Yeah, MM what about it? It sucks!! Flynn isn't as serviceable as Wallace?! So sick of blind loyalty overriding what is BEST for the team. Flynn is the best option.

MM's comments were the stock, non-committal don't-say-anything-and-look-like-you-support-your-current-players response. To me, his comments mean next to nothing and give little to no indication of what is being discussed over the phone and inside the organization.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Please someone explain this BS blind loyalty for MM's QB room he has currently.
I don’t know what you are talking about and IMO the timing of this comment couldn’t be worse. McCarthy is so blindly loyal to his QB room that in spite of crappy preseason performances, Graham Harrell is still the backup QB and BJ Coleman is still #3 (Coleman is no doubt still in Green Bay because he’s Thompson’s guy) WHY IS HE SO STUBBORN AND LOYAL??!! Oh wait … that’s right, McCarthy is so loyal both of them were jettisoned along with Vince Young and two QBs McCarthy has no previous history with in Green Bay are on the roster and practice squad.
Flynn is the best option.
I think this qualifies as an outdated opinion and I refer you to the second post in this thread by HRE. Many Packers fans had exaggerated opinions of Flynn’s worth before he signed with Seattle. I too was hoping Thompson could work out a ‘tag and trade’ that would have been worth more than what the comp pick they received for losing him. But look what’s happened since that time. And add the fact that Philbin, who knew Flynn extremely well and just had become the HC of a team in need of a QB, passed on him, too. There was evidence to support the notion that Flynn was the best option at backup QB in the spring of 2012, but the evidence didn’t stop there.

Thompson and McCarthy both make mistakes but I don’t have any reason to believe they aren’t continuously doing what they consider to be in the best interest of the Packers.

12theTruth

I don't see how anyone could argue that Seneca Wallace is MORE deserving of a backup role to Aaron Rodgers over Matt Flynn. Performance in system - check Built-IN rapport with receiving options- check Has demonstrated success on the field in game time conditions- Check.

Yep. Its a no-brainer. How anyone could argue to the contrary is shall I say it quite peculiar.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see how anyone could argue that Seneca Wallace is MORE deserving of a backup role to Aaron Rodgers over Matt Flynn. Performance in system - check Built-IN rapport with receiving options- check Has demonstrated success on the field in game time conditions- Check.

Yep. Its a no-brainer. How anyone could argue to the contrary is shall I say it quite peculiar.
Makes absolutely no sense. Maybe they are giving Flynn a few days to see if there is a real shot for him to play somewhere else such as cleveland or Jax.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Seneca wallace didnt even play ball in 2012, had only 3 games under his belt in 2011, and 4 games in 2010. So, in the past 3 seasons (not including this current one) he has a total of 7 games started and a full year off (2012). We didn't pick him up at he start of training camp for him to learn our system, get any type of relationship and timing with the WR's or O line. I don't see how Flynn isnt the best option, price pending. If he is affordable, he IS the best option. Kick Wallace to the curb and get us our backup where he belongs, at least flynn is proven here in GB.

Members online