Saints have 2 good left tackles as free agents

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Saints have 3 left tackles as free agents next year, Jermon Bushrod, Jammal Brown, and Zach Strief.

The Saints also have over 25 players in free agency, they have a lot of work to do in signing players. So it is my opinion that the Packers could snag one of these left tackles, even without a new CBA, a trade could also land the Pack one of these tackles.

We watched starting left tackle Jermon Bushrod play yesterday in the Super Bowl. He did struggle a little bit, but that Colts defensive line is fast. He is only in his 3rd year, weighs 315 and is 6-5". He has not reached his potential yet.

Jammal Brown is a 2 time Pro Bowl player in his 5th year at 6-6", 313 pounds who was put on the IR this year due to a sports hernia.

The Saints also have Zach Strief, who has played and started in the NFL for the Bears and Denver, a very good back up.

I don't think the Saints can keep all 3, nor can they keep 2 tackles of the caliber of Bushrod or Brown.

So which one do you think the Pack should go after? I think this is a real possibility if TT is willing to go after it and would fill a big need for our team before the draft. The Saints can lose one tackle and still have a viable backup on the roster.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bushrod is OK... A GREAT backup. But wouldn't want him as our future starter...

Brown is a great LT.

They also need to keep Jahri Evans, IMHO a top 5 guard in the league.

As far as Tackles, I'd rather have the Bucs ones...

OP
OP
D

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bushrod is OK... A GREAT backup. But wouldn't want him as our future starter...

Brown is a great LT.

They also need to keep Jahri Evans, IMHO a top 5 guard in the league.

As far as Tackles, I'd rather have the Bucs ones...

Ya I can see the Bucs tackles, but if that does not pan out I think Bushrod would fill the need in the short term as we continue to look for that tackle.

I would not be opposed going after Jahri Evans. Thats my point, due to all their other free agents I think we can get Bushrod for a reasonable TT's price and would be a better option than Clifton (seeing on how I think Clifton's skills are on the decline and can't stay healthy).

Bushrod did play ok against J. Allen in the vikings game and this year got a lot of experience in only his 3rd year. This could be a big risk reward thing.

Also Bushrod beat out a veteran left tackle to replace Brown, Zach Strief started 16 games with the Bears.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ya I can see the Bucs tackles, but if that does not pan out I think Bushrod would fill the need in the short term as we continue to look for that tackle.

I would not be opposed going after Jahri Evans. Thats my point, due to all their other free agents I think we can get Bushrod for a reasonable TT's price and would be a better option than Clifton (seeing on how I think Clifton's skills are on the decline and can't stay healthy).

Bushrod did play ok against J. Allen in the vikings game and this year got a lot of experience in only his 3rd year. This could be a big risk reward thing.

That's the problem with all three of the of the Saints' OT's. It's the same problem we have with our tackles. Face it, are you willing to replace an injury prone clifton with another injury prone tackle?

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's the problem with all three of the of the Saints' OT's. It's the same problem we have with our tackles. Face it, are you willing to replace an injury prone clifton with another injury prone tackle?
Considering the injury prone guy is better than him and younger than him... YES.

Clifton the last two years has been an average tackle at best.

2008 he surrended 7.5 sacks and 7 penalties. 2009 he surrended 3.75 in 12 games, not a bad average, but commited 9 penalties. Taking into account hes 34...

Tauscher, on the other hand: 2008 2 sacks 1 penalty. 2009 2 sacks 3 penalties.

Here's where my info came from: Player Search - cbs2chicago.com

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well if we're going through this route then I have to agree with PackersRS' idea. We should first try to get one of the Buccs' tackles and then go after the Saints'.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Though after further review, and even though he played well at both the NFCC and the SB, Bushrod allowed 7.5 sacks in 12 games in the regular season...

But still, shows more promise than Clifton.

OP
OP
D

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bushrod performed well against the Atlanta Falcons' John Abraham and Carolina Panthers' Julius Peppers and struggled against the Dallas Cowboys' DeMarcus Ware. In the NFC championship game, Bushrod helped neutralize Minnesota Vikings Pro Bowl player Jared Allen, who had just two tackles and no sacks.

Coming into the NFL he was prepared to play guard or tackle. For the first time being thrust into the starting line-up, he went 3-4 against the leagues best DE. If he turns out not to be the long term answer at tackle we could move him to the left guard position, IMO Colledge is not the long term answer and Spitz has not proven himself (Back injuries concern me).

IMO this is a no brainier if we can get him for a reasonable price and the other options in the league do not pan out.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
D

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Though after further review, and even though he played well at both the NFCC and the SB, Bushrod allowed 7.5 sacks in 12 games in the regular season...

But still, shows more promise than Clifton.

Remember this was his first year starting and playing, not like he went through training camp as the starter, he got thrown into the mix mid season and IMO had to play some of the elite competition in Allen, Peppers ,and Ware.

He is worth the gamble and is better in the short term to anything we have or can draft, a rookie is a rookie, at least Bushrod has the experience playing against the best and knows exactly what to do this off season to get better compared to a rookie who is wet behind the ears. Just look at Raji, a rookie takes time to develop.

AlDay31

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bushrod performed well against the Atlanta Falcons' John Abraham and Carolina Panthers' Julius Peppers and struggled against the Dallas Cowboys' DeMarcus Ware. In the NFC championship game, Bushrod helped neutralize Minnesota Vikings Pro Bowl player Jared Allen, who had just two tackles and no sacks.

May I remind you that Jared Allen had an average season at best. Of his 14.5 Sacks 10 came against NFC-North-teams, and their really really bad OLines.

And Bushrod got used in the SB by a Dwight Freeney, who was at 70 per cent at best.
Rather scarying facts for declaring him as a no-brainer. Get D. Penn, and draft an OT in the second.

OP
OP
D

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
May I remind you that Jared Allen had an average season at best. Of his 14.5 Sacks 10 came against NFC-North-teams, and their really really bad OLines.

And Bushrod got used in the SB by a Dwight Freeney, who was at 70 per cent at best.
Rather scarying facts for declaring him as a no-brainier. Get D. Penn, and draft an OT in the second.

No brainier for the short term and at the price in our current situation. We could not stop Mr. Allen with our current talent so would you agree Bushrod would at least be an upgrade for next season?

I am by no means saying Bushrod is the long term answer, but has potential and is better than what we currently have. This will enable Lang to go to his natural position at right Tackle for the next year. If we got Bushrod I still would like to see the Pack draft another left tackle prospect, but I don't see a rookie starting day one next year, but Bushrod can.

Worst case scenario Bushrod is not the answer at tackle, but I believe he would make a fine left guard. Our left guard position still bothers me, not much faith in Colledge or Spitz. IMO Bushrod is better than both of them at this point in their careers.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No brainier for the short term and at the price in our current situation. We could not stop Mr. Allen with our current talent so would you agree Bushrod would at least be an upgrade for next season?

I am by no means saying Bushrod is the long term answer, but has potential and is better than what we currently have. This will enable Lang to go to his natural position at right Tackle for the next year. If we got Bushrod I still would like to see the Pack draft another left tackle prospect, but I don't see a rookie starting day one next year, but Bushrod can.

Worst case scenario Bushrod is not the answer at tackle, but I believe he would make a fine left guard. Our left guard position still bothers me, not much faith in Colledge or Spitz. IMO Bushrod is better than both of them at this point in their careers.

It would depend on which tender the Saints place on Bushrod. If they place a high tender on him, we might have to give up a draft pick that we would've used to get a future LT prospect. So in this case you might have to give up the long term prospect in order to get the short term answer. There is no way of getting both accomplished this offseason.

Pack88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree, I believe that the Bucs LT is my first choice but Jammal Brown is miles better than Bushrod! He might be an LG but no way is he a quality LT
Pack88

OP
OP
D

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would depend on which tender the Saints place on Bushrod. If they place a high tender on him, we might have to give up a draft pick that we would've used to get a future LT prospect. So in this case you might have to give up the long term prospect in order to get the short term answer. There is no way of getting both accomplished this offseason.

Ya I just did a little research and that the high tender is a 1st and 3rd pick, and the contract cost to the Saints is about 3 million. I thought the price on the high tender would be more than that. So the Saints could keep both their tackles for about 6 million next year, or get pretty good draft picks in compensation. Thats 2 million less than what we paid Clifton last year. The Saints problems in contract the more time I have to think about this comes next year.

This is not looking so promising, I don't think Bushrod is worth a 1st round pick

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ya I just did a little research and that the high tender is a 1st and 3rd pick, and the contract cost to the Saints is about 3 million. I thought the price on the high tender would be more than that. So the Saints could keep both their tackles for about 6 million next year, or get pretty good draft picks in compensation. Thats 2 million less than what we paid Clifton last year. The Saints problems in contract the more time I have to think about this comes next year.

This is not looking so promising, I don't think Bushrod is worth a 1st round pick
Bushrod isn't worth a 5rd IMHO. I'd take him in UFA, but giving a pick for a guy that, though showing promise, just allowed 7.5 sacks in 12 games, after starting less than 5 games his 2 previous years... No thank you.

morningwood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see where you discuss Bushrod as being a RFA, but the other two will be as well (at least if the year is uncapped). That's my understanding at least. I have not really started studied the offseason too much yet.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see where you discuss Bushrod as being a RFA, but the other two will be as well (at least if the year is uncapped). That's my understanding at least. I have not really started studied the offseason too much yet.
What's your concept of him? I mean, take off the champions Black and Gold glasses (must be really good to hear that) and analyse Bushrod for us, please!

morningwood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What's your concept of him? I mean, take off the champions Black and Gold glasses (must be really good to hear that) and analyse Bushrod for us, please!

First, I have to give him props for filling in all season for Brown. Most of the time you have to think your chances of going deep in the playoffs are shot when your Pro Bowl LT goes on IR before the first game.

Of course, you are not asking about getting a quality back up, you are wanting to know if he is a legitimate starter.

In short, I would not feel like a team was "set" at LT with him at his current level of play. IMO, when you have QB's like Brees or AR it is worth investing in a Pro Bowl tackle if you can find one.

He does well against pure speed rushers. Where he struggles is protecting against elite pass rushers with a good bull rush. I honestly don't know whether that is something that can be "fixed" in the offseason.

He does have good qualities -- his fellow lineman have said he is the most atheletic of the bunch.

Nonethless, I can tell you he was the biggest concern on the O line going into games with good pass rushes. You can game plan around some of his shortcomings, but you take away some of your weapons when you do that. You really don't want to have to do that in your big games.

If you don't have better options he is certainly not terrible, but your need to upgrade will still exist (again, based on current play).

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score
First, I have to give him props for filling in all season for Brown. Most of the time you have to think your chances of going deep in the playoffs are shot when your Pro Bowl LT goes on IR before the first game.

Of course, you are not asking about getting a quality back up, you are wanting to know if he is a legitimate starter.

In short, I would not feel like a team was "set" at LT with him at his current level of play. IMO, when you have QB's like Brees or AR it is worth investing in a Pro Bowl tackle if you can find one.

He does well against pure speed rushers. Where he struggles is protecting against elite pass rushers with a good bull rush. I honestly don't know whether that is something that can be "fixed" in the offseason.

He does have good qualities -- his fellow lineman have said he is the most atheletic of the bunch.

Nonethless, I can tell you he was the biggest concern on the O line going into games with good pass rushes. You can game plan around some of his shortcomings, but you take away some of your weapons when you do that. You really don't want to have to do that in your big games.

If you don't have better options he is certainly not terrible, but your need to upgrade will still exist (again, based on current play).
First off, I don't think I'd ever be able to get past the name without chuckling like Beavis and Butthead... Bush rod... heh huh huh heh heh heh

Second, I don't know if this was a huge aberration or what but he was schooled in the SB by a one-legged Freeney... Freeney is great and all, but he was barely able to play and he annihilated Bushrod in that game.

morningwood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, I think I should probably tell you that some guy on another forum mocked Bushrod because of his name and Bushrod hunted him down like like an animal.

No doubt Freeney was owning him in the first half. However, I disagree that Freeney was playing hobbled at that point in the game. The guy was flat out moving. The ankle injury really caught up with him in the second half after that long break and possession by the Saints' O.

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score
Well, I think I should probably tell you that some guy on another forum mocked Bushrod because of his name and Bushrod hunted him down like like an animal.

No doubt Freeney was owning him in the first half. However, I disagree that Freeney was playing hobbled at that point in the game. The guy was flat out moving. The ankle injury really caught up with him in the second half after that long break and possession by the Saints' O.

You very well could be right. Generally, ankle injuries just kill big guys. When Raji sprained his ankle in preseason he wasn't right until the second half of the regular season. He played, he just wasn't nearly as effective as he should have been because a 300 pound guy getting blasted by other 300 pound guys really isn't conducive to a guy on a bum ankle. However, maybe Freeney's injury was a little overblown as far as severity and I bet that (a) the excitement of the moment along with maybe (b) some sort of pain injection, had him a lot more spry to start the game than many of us expected. For the reasons he was probably ready to play in the 1st half he was also not likely to be as ready in the second half.

But the name Bushrod still cracks me up... Not as good as morningwood, but close!!! :)

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score

Yeah man.....Freeney looked great in the first half. I couldn't tell he was injured at that point in the game.

Zimbabwe12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO Freeny was close to 100% there is no way you have ligament damage and pull off nasty spin moves and shred double teams like that.. For Bushrod a 3rd year it was the best the kid could do....

I would take anyone of them... But not for a pick... I would go after Jamal Brown because hes vulnerable now coming off of injury the saints will try to get him for cheap... If we swoop in with a little little sweeter deal then we have him....

I think Tampa will try to get Penn HARD!!!!!!!! The fans love him and he is a FRANCHISE T...they are not going to let him walk epecially with a new young QB..

OP
OP
D

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I question how hurt Freeney was in that first half, enough drugs/adrenaline will go a long ways.

Bushrod is a work in progress, yet he did a good job against Jared Allen. Honestly I would hate to see the Packer O-line against the Colts

Latest posts