S. Jax

texaspackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
More about our running game from ESPN:
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/stor...free-agency-offseason-plans-green-bay-packers

Team philosophies
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Key free-agent move
Steven Jackson, RB, UFA
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

The Packers offense may never rely on a bell cow running back with Rodgers under center, because they don't need to. This passing attack is among the most prolific in football, and McCarthy manufactures yards at or near the line of scrimmage by using Cobb and inside shovel passes to tight ends, among other wrinkles.
Jackson has a lot of tread on his tires at age 29, but he's one of the more physical running backs in the NFL and has missed just two games over the past four seasons. He's an adept pass-catcher out of the backfield, and would form a nice one-two punch with late-season revelation DuJuan Harris, who the team appears to like quite a bit.
Jackson recently voided the final year on his contract and sounds intent on signing with a winning team that gives him a shot to reach the playoffs for the first time since his rookie season.
Green Bay remains the cream of the crop in the NFC North, but adding a physical presence in its backfield to help balance the offense would make this team an even stronger bet to challenge in the NFC next season.

This is the first I read that "Jackson recently voided the final year on his contract and sounds intent on signing with a winning team that gives him a shot to reach the playoffs for the first time since his rookie season." It's always nice if a guy is motivated to come to the Packers. This could go a long way toward counteracting the idea that other teams will throw more money at him.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
March 6th, 2013
GREEN BAY - Free agent-to-be St. Louis Rams RB Steven Jackson caused Packers fans on Twitter to spill coffee on themselves by announcing on his account (@sj39) that he was coming to Green Bay today.

He was headed to Green Bay for a Rawlings Co.-sponsored event.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
March 6th, 2013
GREEN BAY - Free agent-to-be St. Louis Rams RB Steven Jackson caused Packers fans on Twitter to spill coffee on themselves by announcing on his account (@sj39) that he was coming to Green Bay today.
Turns out it was no hoax. He was headed to Green Bay for a Rawlings Co.-sponsored event.
Jackson was to help train the Green Bay Blackjacks of the Northern Lights Football League for a day after team member Kyler Hartl won a contest through Football America, according to a Rawlings spokesperson
What Jackson wasn't there to do was talk to the Packers about joining them in free agency. He's not eligible to do that until free agency begins on March 12. It's pretty likely that if he stopped in at Lambeau Field to speak to anyone connected with the Packers, half the city would have known about it.
Jackson has been a favorite choice of many Packers fans to boost the team's running game.
It turns out that Jackson's trip never got off the ground because his flight from St. Louis to Green Bay was canceled due to the heavy snow in the region. He had a connecting flight through Chicago, which is getting hit pretty heavily and where hundreds of flights are canceled.
According to the spokesperson, Jackson's appearance is canceled, but he will try to reschedule it for April.
Perhaps then he can make stop in and visit with the Packers. For now, Packers fans can refill their coffee cups.

Yeah that got hype for no reason yesterday. NO chance the packers let him walk into the building before march 12th. That's just beyond stupid for tampering.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Maybe he had an alternative plan? Could have also been there to get a feel for the city. The only reason I don't really want him is the amount of cash he will want and the cap space he will chew up.....Not to mention, our running backs seem to get hurt easily and often.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
March 6th, 2013
Turns out it was no hoax. He was headed to Green Bay for a Rawlings Co.-sponsored event.
Jackson was to help train the Green Bay Blackjacks of the Northern Lights Football League for a day after team member Kyler Hartl won a contest through Football America, according to a Rawlings spokesperson
What Jackson wasn't there to do was talk to the Packers about joining them in free agency. He's not eligible to do that until free agency begins on March 12. It's pretty likely that if he stopped in at Lambeau Field to speak to anyone connected with the Packers, half the city would have known about it.
Jackson has been a favorite choice of many Packers fans to boost the team's running game.
It turns out that Jackson's trip never got off the ground because his flight from St. Louis to Green Bay was canceled due to the heavy snow in the region. He had a connecting flight through Chicago, which is getting hit pretty heavily and where hundreds of flights are canceled.
According to the spokesperson, Jackson's appearance is canceled, but he will try to reschedule it for April.
Perhaps then he can make stop in and visit with the Packers. For now, Packers fans can refill their coffee cups.

Can you provide links to this?

Thanks

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont think we would be a good fit for him. I dont think we can pay him more than the spurs, plus I dont know what position he would play being 6'8 but not heavy enough for the O line. Plus he kinda burned a bridge in Milwaukee.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It means we like him and he likes us, making us the favorites. I've been a fan of his for a while, and think he's still got a bit left in the tank, at least enough for our needs. Too bad his beast years were squandered in the NFC Worst..

H

HardRightEdge

Good pass blocker, had around 90 catches a few years back, who knows.

It was 7 years ago. I doubt we'd be looking at Jackson as a third down back. For some reason everybody thinks of Jackson as a north/south runner, but to my eye his strength was quickness and change of direction through the hole. He's not quite that guy anymore.

I'll pass, in favor of fresh legs in the draft.

The Drew

The Drew Cave
Reaction score
I dont think we would be a good fit for him. I dont think we can pay him more than the spurs, plus I dont know what position he would play being 6'8 but not heavy enough for the O line. Plus he kinda burned a bridge in Milwaukee.

hahahaha.... One good thing is that he loves to fight in Detroit!

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rotoworld and Packer report now both saying S-Jax to Green Bay is "likely".

texaspackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm conflicted on this one. As of now, I hope it doesn't happen. On the other hand, if he does sign with us, it means somebody thinks he still has something in the tank, and it wouldn't be too hard to start thinking positive. I really don't think he would be a mere third down back, though. Either every down or split time with Harris would be my guess.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was a still a 1,000 yard back averaging over 4 YPC last year. True he could hit a wall anytime, but he's been the model of consistency his entire career. He's a good power back that we're looking for who catches well out of the backfield also.

It would depend for me on what they give him. I don't want to overpay -- probably wouldn't want to go over 2 years -- 3 I suppose if we could easily get out from it after 2.

If they sign him though, it will be to be the starter, just like Benson was last year. Probably 15-18 carries a game, mixing in Harris for 8-10.

H

HardRightEdge

Or is it another fickle man crush? I'm not even keen on that signing, but I almost wish it would happen so TT could break through his mental constipation.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll pass, in favor of fresh legs in the draft.
Like an Alex Green?
He was fresh coming out of Hawaii.... tore the ACL rookie season.
Then there was Cedric Benson. who had proven to be durable in the NFL.
With us? Not so. Season-ending foot injury in week 5.
Fresh legs don't mean schit once they put on Packer uniforms.

Look at old Cullen Jenkins.

Nicked up and missed time left & right as a Packer.
Got old, let go, went to Philly, missed 0 games in 2 full seasons.

I love Steven Jackson. Like him or not, he'd be a guy that defenses respected. Paid attention to.
Imagine if the OL blocked then too......

H

HardRightEdge

Like an Alex Green?

Of course not!

I didn't like the Green pick from the get go...his college highlight reels showed nothing but delays and draws with lots of yards before contact. His strength is quickness and elusiveness in space. It seems like everybody but the Packers thought he was a 3rd. down back.

After B-Jax and Green, I'm counting on "practice makes perfect". ;) At least Starks shows they can find a runner if they don't get too hung up on the blocking.

I thought letting Jenkins go was a mistake.

If S-Jax doesn't work out, then I'll be 3 for 3 out of your list.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Members online

Latest posts