S. Jax

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mixed emotions on this idea of bringing Steven Jackson over. I'm going to have to repeat this again, he is not the player he used to be. He is still pretty good but each year he will likely decline to where I'm not sure he'll see the third year of this "mystical contract." I had him on my PFFFL league last year and remember coming on strong at the end of the year, but also him almost losing his starting the spot at around the half way point to Daryl Richardson. I was a huge fan of Jackson's five years ago but I sense a decline in him. His yards have gone down every year for three years.

He lost time to Richardson because the Rams knew he wasn't coming back in 2013. The Rams were transitioning the offense be younger.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He lost time to Richardson because the Rams knew he wasn't coming back in 2013. The Rams were transitioning the offense be younger.
It wasn't because at times last year Richardson looked better? As I remember it Richardson averaged over 6 yards per carry over the middle six games of the season and there was clamoring in St.Louis over who was better.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It wasn't because at times last year Richardson looked better? As I remember it Richardson averaged over 6 yards per carry over the middle six games of the season and there was clamoring in St.Louis over who was better.

No. They drafted Richardson/Pead to be the running back of the future and replace Jackson. Mediocre teams need to transition and become younger some time.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just to go one step further, the Rams draft Isaiah Pead in the 2nd Round (#50 overall) and Daryl Richardson in the 7th Round. The transition away from Steven Jackson started on draft day last year.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just to go one step further, the Rams draft Isaiah Pead in the 2nd Round (#50 overall) and Daryl Richardson in the 7th Round. The transition away from Steven Jackson started on draft day last year.
Exactly.... the Rams have a lot of building to do to get into contention..... even though they somehow went 1-0-1 vs the 49ers last year.
Still, with SF & Sea there, the Rams are light years away from winning that division.... time for some youth movement and cheaper $$ RBs.

H

HardRightEdge

My post was in pure sarcasm.... Also if we got both for around 11M which is looking probable at this point with weaker signing for $6M.

By "both" can we assume you mean Jennings and Jackson?

If so, you and TT should go out for drinks while waiting for the calls on those deals...that never come.

I don't like signing either of them and still think your aggregate numbers for those 2 guys are too low.

The_Virus

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could probably enter NFL Free Agency and say I want 13M a season like Jennings and get no interest like he has. I do hope he comes back though, just not too expensive. Kinda shows you how far fetched these players are sometimes.

H

HardRightEdge

Patience can pay off for the player as easily as for the general manager.

If you look at (1) teams who are still in need of a WR, (2) who's left in FA (nobody after Jennings might be a fair description) and (3) the thin draft in WRs, thinking he'll sign a low ball deal at this juncture is a mistake.

Will he pull down long term $10 mil. per year money, like Bowe and Wallace? No. Will he get more than the $6 mil people on this board are willing to offer? Yes.

The_Virus

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree he will get more than 6M a season, but will Steven Jackson dictate what the Packers will offer Jennings? Will it impact what they will do with Finley?

H

HardRightEdge

I agree he will get more than 6M a season, but will Steven Jackson dictate what the Packers will offer Jennings? Will it impact what they will do with Finley?

I wouldn't bring back Jennings or sign Jackson, but I'll offer an opinion on the what ifs:

When this Jackson stuff started, I thought 2 years / $8 mil seemed about right. As time moved along, I trimmed that back to 2 years / $7 million. The press has been kicking around 3 years / $12 million this week. The difference between the low and high among those numbers is just not big enough to influence a major FA signing, which Jennings is at this point. The more important question here is whether TT proposed but tried to slip a cubit zirconia on Jackson's finger.

Signing Jennings could have an immediate impact on keeping Finley. If Jennings came in at something like $7.5 mil per year, that would be it for FA, except maybe some minimum salary guys. We should be trying to get a solid defensive starter in FA in any of a few positions (S is my preference at this point); TT's pursuit of Canty is evidence of what is generally acknowledged by the fan base on this forum except for the hard line "draft only" guys.

If that's not enough, lets look again at the Rodgers / Matthews situation. A Jennings / Finley combo or a Finley / FA defender means any new deal for either Rodgers or Matthews will be "cap friendly". In fact, I'm pretty much resigned to that fact regardless. Which means we conserve cap space now, but pay for it later.

I think you have to be both extremely good and extremely lucky over a long period of time to avoid falling into the issues we see in Pittsburgh and Baltimore this year...deferred cap hits + age at some point get you to a retooling period where you hope the franchise QB can keep the team competitive and keep butts in the seats.

Our last 2 drafts have not met the good/lucky test.

OP
OP
BorderRivals.com

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our last 2 drafts have not met the good/lucky test.

I would disagree with this sentiment. Cobb and Hayward are burgeoning stars. And the verdict is still out on Perry, but he wasn't overmatched out there. He showed flashes and will certainly be an upgrade over Walden. Plus, it's awfully quick to make judgment calls on the rest of the players. But, to already be able to establish two on-the-verge-stars out of the drafts, with another promising player, I'd say those are pretty good drafts - so far.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm still not convinced he ever had GB in his mind as more than a leverage point. Played in a dome his whole career, and I think Atlanta has just a good a shot of competing for a title as we do. Be curious to see what the contract numbers are and how the effects the way the packers move forward with FA

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would disagree with this sentiment. Cobb and Hayward are burgeoning stars. And the verdict is still out on Perry, but he wasn't overmatched out there. He showed flashes and will certainly be an upgrade over Walden. Plus, it's awfully quick to make judgment calls on the rest of the players. But, to already be able to establish two on-the-verge-stars out of the drafts, with another promising player, I'd say those are pretty good drafts - so far.

So you are comfortable getting one to two players per draft? Ron Wolf always said you had to get three starters. I agree that's the yardstick

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We will find out. Hey we're good at the position we've got that Harris guy.
Hahaha, true story. Plus there is still the draft. And Daryl Richardson ran S. Jackson out of St Lewis so don't go expecting too much from him this year. Turner was garbage last year as well, and I think the two equate pretty well.

OP
OP
BorderRivals.com

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you are comfortable getting one to two players per draft? Ron Wolf always said you had to get three starters. I agree that's the yardstick

That's not what I said. I said we have two burgeoning two stars in Cobb and Hayward, which is impressive considering how soon it's happened. I generally believe it's too early to judge drafts two years out, but in looking at the fact we've already identified two potential stars in Cobb and Hayward already, that's a success so far.

Members online

Latest posts