Rodgers says the Giants cheated

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Saw a part in Ask Vic this week about someone mentioning the horseshoe pattern that the Giants like to run with their offensive line. As much as Giants fans like saying the Refs pick on them, I think the Refs let them slide on the small stuff but make the wrong call on bigger stuff just to even it out. I'll always think of super bowl 46 as the Cheaters bowl.

titwio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't see a thread for this, so sorry if it was already mentioned:

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...d-patriots-green-bay-packers-nbc-bob-costas/1

I love how Rodgers implies that the Giants "cheated" yet the Packers had 14 points put up on the board by the refs themselves.

It was flat out awful that he even had the audacity to bring something like that up when the millions of viewers and analysts SAW the fact that Jennings DID fumble and Rodgers himself never received a blow to head by Osi. Not to mention the horrible spot on the first down by Ware or the holds on JPP that never got called.

But hey Aaron...If it makes ya feel better. :tup:

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
I love how Rodgers implies that the Giants "cheated" yet the Packers had 14 points put up on the board by the refs themselves.

lol @ creating an account just to post this.

Nobody except the Yellow Journalist that wrote this implied "cheating" and bad calls by the refs don't classify as cheating either.

titwio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol @ creating an account just to post this.

Nobody except the Yellow Journalist that wrote this implied "cheating" and bad calls by the refs don't classify as cheating either.

Oh but him bringing it up had no ill will behind it? He was implying it and it was obvious. It was classes, plain and simple.

But me bringing up the refs were only to show how many breaks went in their favor. He should have just been humble he received his MVP award and played the role an even keel analysts and provided good insight. IMO he just came off as bitter and resentful when he could have earned a lot more respect by just keeping a lid on it.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh but him bringing it up had no ill will behind it? He was implying it and it was obvious. It was classes, plain and simple.

But me bringing up the refs were only to show how many breaks went in their favor. He should have just been humble he received his MVP award and played the role an even keel analysts and provided good insight. IMO he just came off as bitter and resentful when he could have earned a lot more respect by just keeping a lid on it.

Classless? Hardly. Rodgers never said the Giants cheated; he said that they used a cheap tactic to disrupt the no huddle offense, and what he said is in fact true. As for the refs, we all know that they made some bad calls, but now it's everything and the kitchen sink called against the Giants, like holding on JPP all game? yeah right.

Actually it's the Giants that have come off as the cockiest bunch of blow-hards lately. Hey, congrats on the great season. Giants were this year's Packers, but Rodgers praised the Giants on that same show as much as anyone.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Just to be clear. Several posters have pointed out that the term "gamesmanship" was used. There is a difference between gamesmanship and sportsmanship. They were definitely employing gamesmanship, not sportsmanship. But so does every QB who falls hard after barely being touched, wide receiver who tries to make it look like he's interfered with, and d lineman who throws out his arms to make it look like he's being held. They all do it. It doesn't make it right or sportsmanlike, but it is part of the game. In Basketball and Soccer there is a lot more of it going on.

titwio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Classless? Hardly. Rodgers never said the Giants cheated; he said that they used a cheap tactic to disrupt the no huddle offense, and what he said is in fact true.

It's just the way it came across. It didn't have to be mentioned in that manner. It was insinuating.

Actually it's the Giants that have come off as the cockiest bunch of blow-hards lately. Hey, congrats on the great season. Giants were this year's Packers, but Rodgers praised the Giants on that same show as much as anyone.

Some of the Giants talk has irked me too but a lot of it was media painting the Giants in that light. Jacobs yes is a loud mouth and some of his comments do make me cringe as a fan but most of the other talk was the Giants being confident in themselves that it bordered cocky. All the guarantees were just pushed on them all week to the point they said, "yeah.. we feel we will the game". Which translates into...The Giants make another guarantee.

titwio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's just the way it came across. It didn't have to be mentioned in that manner. It was insinuating.

Some of the Giants talk has irked me too but a lot of it was media painting the Giants in that light. Jacobs yes is a loud mouth and some of his comments do make me cringe as a fan but most of the other talk was the Giants being confident in themselves that it bordered on cocky. All the guarantees were just pushed on them all week to the point they said, "yeah.. we feel we will the game". Which translates into...The Giants make another guarantee.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score

So everyone who has anything bad to say or an opinion based on something that happened that goes against the Giants should just keep their traps shut?
OK gotchya.
I will never ever, ever again even just THINK one bad thought about the Giants because clearly this is your forum now.

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
Some of the Giants talk has irked me too but a lot of it was media painting the Giants in that light. Jacobs yes is a loud mouth and some of his comments do make me cringe as a fan but most of the other talk was the Giants being confident in themselves that it bordered cocky. All the guarantees were just pushed on them all week to the point they said, "yeah.. we feel we will the game". Which translates into...The Giants make another guarantee.

So then you do clearly recognize that the media makes a lot more out of things than perhaps it should? Like maybe Rodger's statement.

titwio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So everyone who has anything bad to say or an opinion based on something that happened that goes against the Giants should just keep their traps shut?
OK gotchya.
I will never ever, ever again even just THINK one bad thought about the Giants because clearly this is your forum now.

A little dramatic are we?

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score

It pains me to say it, but they are cocky. They are Super Bowl Champions. They have won the right to be cocky for the next 7 months. What's the old Dizzy Dean quote; "It ain't braggin if you can do it."

titwio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So then you do clearly recognize that the media makes a lot more out of things than perhaps it should? Like maybe Rodger's statement.

No...Rodgers comment was on live t.v. It wasn't construed by the media before the viewers saw it.

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
No...Rodgers comment was on live t.v. It wasn't construed by the media before the viewers saw it.

No, it was blown out of proportion later when McCarthy (I believe it was he who was the author) called it "cheating" which did not, in fact, happen on live TV. Stop whining.

titwio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It pains me to say it, but they are cocky. They are Super Bowl Champions. They have won the right to be cocky for the next 7 months. What's the old Dizzy Dean quote; "It ain't braggin if you can do it."

They did back it up so I can't really argue with them for getting it done but, I wasn't a fan of the talk for the record. The Giants motto has always been "talk is cheap"..."play the game". The media did have a frenzy in NY though because the talk seemed to work so well with the Jets that they tried to sell it on the giants too.

Let's just say I wasn't a fan of it.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A little dramatic are we?
You don't expect any of us to be on your side when you come into a Packers forum with things like "Aaron Rodgers is wrong for saying so-and-so about my team," do you?
If you do, then your delusional.

I wouldn't expect any Giants fans to agree if I went into a Giants board and started posting how wrong Eli was for doing this or saying that.
Fans will always stick up for the players and the team right or wrong.

Like I don't give a s**t if any of the refs calls went against the Giants.
Anything that helps the Packers is always a good thing.
Honestly, I don't know why you Giants fans keep on beating that dead eggplant.

titwio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, it was blown out of proportion later when McCarthy (I believe it was him who was the author) called it "cheating" which did not, in fact, happen on live TV. Stop whining.

I saw it on live t.v. He didn't say cheating but his comment like I said previously was insinuating of cheating. I'm not whining either. I'm expressing my thoughts and views on the matter and if you can't handle that then you have no business being on a board.

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
Apparently you are the one who can't handle it. I'm doing fine. Maybe you should take your own advice and leave if you can't handle an honest, accurate, and pointed response.

The article about "cheating" came the next day. Also, as has been pointed out above, the Giants did fake injury. Look at the embedded video and then deny it. It was clearly "gamesmanship." So again, stop whining.

titwio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You don't expect any of us to be on your side when you come into a Packers forum with things like "Aaron Rodgers is wrong for saying so-and-so about my team," do you?
If you do, then your delusional.

Everything Aaron Rodgers says and does must be the bible... I must be delusional for even questioning him...Right??

I'm not looking for people to side with me. I'm just expressing my displeasure to his comments which I felt were kind of a low blow to the Giants.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everything Aaron Rodgers says and does must be the bible... I must be delusional for even questioning him...Right??

I'm not looking for people to side with me. I'm just expressing my displeasure to his comments which I felt were kind of a low blow to the Giants.
Fair enough.

titwio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Apparently you are the one who can't handle it. I'm doing fine. Maybe you should take your own advice and leave if you can't handle an honest, accurate, and pointed response.

The article about "cheating" came the next day. Also, as has been pointed out above, the Giants did fake injury. Look at the embedded video and then deny it. It was clearly "gamesmanship." So again, stop whining.

Do you mean the embedded video against the Rams? If so then yes!... They were faking injuries. Everyone knows it but, don't act like the Giants are the only team that ever did that. If so then you haven't been watching football long. The Giants were just dumb in that instant to get caught doing it. I actually laughed at the stupidity of it cause it's so blatant but teams have been doing it for years.

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
I've been watching football longer than you have probably been alive. I attended my first live game in 1966.

I never said the Giants were the only team doing it; clearly they are not. You act like Rodgers is the only one who ever pointed it out; clearly he is not.

I refer you to Croak's post above highlighting the difference between "gamesmanship" and "sportsmanship." I believe the difference applies to the difference between "gamesmanship" and "cheating." You (and McCarthy) apparently equate the two, I do not, any more than I equate the refs making bad calls (even intentionally) with cheating. Cheating is something you do; not the referees.

The Giants have done it and still do it. Other NFL teams have done it and still do it. It is "gamesmanship," and that is precisely what Rodgers said. It is you who has taken offense to it. I am pointing out that Rodgers did not say "cheating" any more than any of the Giants "guaranteed" a win. It is the press that is responsible for that and good or bad we all have to live with that. That is why it sounds like you are whining.

titwio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Ok I'll just put it this way since you only see it from your side. Eli loses to Packers and then plays analyst for the Packers/Patriots SB and makes a similar comment about the Packers as Rodgers said about the Giants. I guess no one here would have any problem it... especially yourself I gather. Everyone here would just politely say, "oh, well fellas, he was just referring to gamesmanship". "No ill will there at all". "He was just speaking honestly and critically".

C'mon man... I'm not here to rant. I actually like the Packers and if the Giants lost I would have been rooting for them to go all the way and mow down the Pats. But what I heard from Rodgers was a low blow that really wasn't even in the topic of the discussion. He just felt he needed to add it for some reason.

Anyway I'll leave now. Good luck next season. Looking forward to seeing how Davon House turns out for you guys. One of my favorite players in last years draft.

Members online

Latest posts