Retiring #4 Jersey

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As much as I hate Favre right now, he did put the Packers back on the map. We can't deny how good his numbers were

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
not sure to be honest. i think its up to the organization

Well it sure doesn't sound like he wants it anyways.
I guess we'll see when it all comes down to it.

I did like the Crosby idea,.. not sure GBP will though! lol

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As much as I hate Favre right now, he did put the Packers back on the map. We can't deny how good his numbers were

Yep. I said it before and I'll say it again: The Packers would not have won the Super Bowl in 1996 without him.

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Pro HOF? Packers have no control over that. Packer HOF yes after a lot of years, lets use James Lofton's wait after he left the Packer's....13 years. Retire his jersey? Let's sign Kicker John Kasey.....uniform #4.

This was not a sad parting of ways like with say Al Harris, it was a frigging divorce!

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they retire his # with full ceremony I wonder how many people would just boo it. A lot of people may of forgiven him or just gotten over it, but there are still a lot of people who are bitter. I don't think retiring his # us the right thing to do here, especially if we still might not be getting rid of him. He's like a freakin ghost, he just keeps coming back.

Sandmire33

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All of Favre's numbers are inflated because of all the years he held us hostage. The only record that i thought was good was the ironman streak but it shoulda been broke when he played for the jets. If you played that long and you've thrown the most passes, i hope you have the most yards, and etc on the other records. Brett will go in the hall of fame for longevity more then anything else. The guy was on only one super bowl winning team. As far as retiring his number, it shouldn't be done. The guy is classless and doesn't deserve it. " Hey Brett maybe Minny will"

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Close? He has been a lock for the HoF for years. And one lousy season on a TERRIBLE Vikings team isn't changing that.

terrible vikings team? you mean for the most part the same team he said was the best team he ever played on?

PackCrazed4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chicago Native on loan to Tallahassee, FL
Allow me to quote Hooty and the Blowfish...

"TiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiMEE... why you punish me??" Well, that last bit has nothing to do with this really, but I think Time is definitely the key here. The longer everyone takes to distance themselves from the situation and let old wounds heal, the better things will be, for everyone. Brett, TT, the entire organization, and especially the fans. We all need to time to bereave and get over the crap side of Brett's resume to the point where everyone is at least amicable. I think the 5 years-til-HOF-induction time frame is perfect, then it'll be like one sweeping tour of Brett cementing himself into history and finally putting everything behind us (not to mention less instances of primadona limelight, it can all be taken care of in 6 months times).

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Regardless of what he has done we have got to retire the number. I don't think there is much doubt that we will eventually. Give it a few years, and by the time Favre goes into the Hall of Fame Packers fans will, for the most part, have forgiven him. When it's all said and done he did many, many great things for the Packers and for the NFL. We tend to have short memories and only remember the recent events, which in this case would be his retirements and his tenure with the Vikings. But no one will ever remember him as a Viking, they will remember him as a Packer, as they should.

Remember, without him there is no Super Bowl title in '96.

without him we might have won 3 or 4 more SBs.

And we dont have to retire ****. Packers hall of fame? If Pete Rose isnt in cooperstown Favre damn sure shouldnt be in the packers hall of fame. Sorry No ****** Bags allowed.

Every favre sympathizer wants to compare it to Reggie White or Lombardi (doing sign of the cross when I speak thy names) going to a different team. What they really should be comparing it to is the Colts ******** Baltimore and leaving in the middle of the night. Baltimore has never gotten over that and GB will never forgive favre.

Give out the #4 and lets put an end to this crap about retiring his number.

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yep. I said it before and I'll say it again: The Packers would not have won the Super Bowl in 1996 without him.

I said it before and I'll say it again, the Packers would not have won that SB without Favre And Reggie White and the players they both attracted to come to Green Bay..Keith Jackson, Don Beebe, Andre Rison, Sean Jones and Santana Dotson. Most who came because they respected Reggie.

gbpack12_2_89

Bleeding Green and Gold
Reaction score
without him we might have won 3 or 4 more SBs.

And we dont have to retire ****. Packers hall of fame? If Pete Rose isnt in cooperstown Favre damn sure shouldnt be in the packers hall of fame. Sorry No ****** Bags allowed.

Every favre sympathizer wants to compare it to Reggie White or Lombardi (doing sign of the cross when I speak thy names) going to a different team. What they really should be comparing it to is the Colts ******** Baltimore and leaving in the middle of the night. Baltimore has never gotten over that and GB will never forgive favre.

Give out the #4 and lets put an end to this crap about retiring
his number.

Bravo!!!!! Spoken like a true packer fan. Screw Favre like I said before only ceremony he should get should be the burning of his jersey!!!

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2002- sexter throws 6 picks in playoff loss to rams
2003- sexter turns the ball over 3 times in the packers first ever home playoff loss. To a 9 win team!
2004- sexter throws a game killing pick in OT to Dawkins
2005- sexter gets a gimme in the playoffs, 8-8 vikings at home. sexter throws 4 picks, blows season.
2008- sexter, in the fourth quarter and overtime, completed 4 of 10 passes for 32 yards with 2 INTs. Another fail but the king of sexting and fails.

And thats only in the 2000s.

OP
OP
Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
Indeed! They were never off the map to begin with. If you want to talk in terms of putting the Packers back on the map, look no further than this current roster.

what i think he is trying to say is he made us relevant again. we hadnt been consistently good in decades.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
2003- sexter turns the ball over 3 times in the packers first ever home playoff loss. To a 9 win team!
2005- sexter gets a gimme in the playoffs, 8-8 vikings at home. sexter throws 4 picks, blows season.
2008- sexter, in the fourth quarter and overtime, completed 4 of 10 passes for 32 yards with 2 INTs. Another fail but the king of sexting and fails.

Here's some 90's epic fail.

1995 NFC Championship Game vs Cowboys
The Packers get themselves into an early 14-3 hole thanks to a costly screen pass interception that Favre throws to Leon Lett. To his credit, Favre battles back and plays a great game – until the 4th quarter, that is. The Cowboys hold a 31-27 lead but the Packers have the ball with the chance to take the lead and go to the Super Bowl. As usual, Favre gets reckless. Scrambling away from pressure, he tries to hurl a deep pass to WR Mark Ingram. The ball is picked off by CB Larry Brown (who will also make a key interception two weeks later at Super Bowl *** as we all remember). Dallas then ices the game for good.

1999 Regular Season vs Vikings
Both teams enter a key late-season Monday night game with identical 7-6 records. The winner will be in the drivers seat for an NFC wild card spot while the loser will likely be eliminated from playoff contention. Minnesota takes a 24-20 lead with about nine minutes left in regulation, plenty of time for Favre to mount a comeback. But he proceeds to throw two interceptions in the final minutes of the game, the last coming in the endzone as the final second ticks off the clock. Green Bay misses the playoffs.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Here's some 90's epic fail.

1995 NFC Championship Game vs Cowboys
The Packers get themselves into an early 14-3 hole thanks to a costly screen pass interception that Favre throws to Leon Lett. To his credit, Favre battles back and plays a great game – until the 4th quarter, that is. The Cowboys hold a 31-27 lead but the Packers have the ball with the chance to take the lead and go to the Super Bowl. As usual, Favre gets reckless. Scrambling away from pressure, he tries to hurl a deep pass to WR Mark Ingram. The ball is picked off by CB Larry Brown (who will also make a key interception two weeks later at Super Bowl *** as we all remember). Dallas then ices the game for good.

1999 Regular Season vs Vikings
Both teams enter a key late-season Monday night game with identical 7-6 records. The winner will be in the drivers seat for an NFC wild card spot while the loser will likely be eliminated from playoff contention. Minnesota takes a 24-20 lead with about nine minutes left in regulation, plenty of time for Favre to mount a comeback. But he proceeds to throw two interceptions in the final minutes of the game, the last coming in the endzone as the final second ticks off the clock. Green Bay misses the playoffs.

Even tho all that is true, the Brett nobbers will ALWAYS...ALWAYS find another reason why it isnt his fault.

The line couldnt block, no running game, Al Harris, wr ran wrong route..

I am ashamed I ever posted on his board and defended him back when he was a Packer...

I was so brain washed, it was pathetic.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Me too LTF, although I had more of a "Win by the Farve, die by the Farve" kind of mentality. Looking at it now, Brett Farve is probably one of the most overrated QBs in history because his numbers are great, but when you look at all the choke jobs...you gotta figure that into the equation and it drops him far far down the list imo.

Packrat12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How does stuff like this grow such legs? This is one of those things that will never be agreed on. Favre haters will never let go, and Favre lovers will turn their head blindly to any wrong doing. The argument is a mute point. I would say I am on no side in this argument but I would like to share some thoughts.

Original Question: Will 4 be retired? Who knows for sure, I could care less, but who in their right mind would be arrogant enough to wear it. I believe it will be like 5, not retired just never worn.

As for mistakes: In 2002, we won the division, his dad died and for three weeks he threw up prayers. I loved him, you all loved him. We remember, every one landed in a receivers hand. Then one landed in an Eagles corners hand and we were pissed season over. 4th and 26 anybody? That was him, risky, never satisfied, gunslinger.

Years passed he got older. Leads us to the brink. Makes some mistakes, a tear rolled down my cheek. Ted tells him he's out, the new guy gets the ball. He cries, and retires, but wait he's not done. He forces the hand, Brett's the Jet. Blows their year gets a coach fired. Retires again, Chilly calls, blows him, he comes back. Breaks my heart. Twice. Then he throws a pick the Vikings lose, comes back and we embarrass him. Last press conference he thanks the fan of the Packers, and the organization, sitting in front of a purple backdrop.

Point: Ted and Mike made a great choice, its business, we all know we are better off now. Why hold a grudge, who cares, we beat him. He loves all of you, more than you will ever know. He is a man, and what else can he do. Let go of the anger, its over, you don't have to like him but don't down play how great he was for the Packers or the NFL. I personally will never be able to hold him to the esteem as before he wore purple, but in some ways I understand.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Very well said Pack

But if we are suppose to let it go, shouldnt he?

Recall go beat the Packers to Peppers?

Still holding a grudge

His # should be retired, but it will take a while

Packrat12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very well said Pack

But if we are suppose to let it go, shouldnt he?

Recall go beat the Packers to Peppers?

Still holding a grudge

His # should be retired, but it will take a while

When did he say that to Peppers? Guess I didn't know that. If that is true well I will get kicked off the board if I say what I would like. I just am tired of hearing about it. I want to erase all of it from my memory.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Screw Favre I say have a ceremony invite Favre there burn his jersey in front of him and give his number to a punter....
Don't retire the #4 jersey. Give it to the punter every year. I don't want Favre to be in the Packers hall of fame. The Packers hall of fame goes to players who actually respect the Packers, not players who spit in their old team's face.
Why just give it to a punter?
Why pick on the punters? What do you guys have against them?
They contribute and are just as much as part of the team as everyone else.

Give it to a starter.
I think that would be more of a slap in the face than to give it to a punter or kicker.

Wasn't that press conference kinda his retirement? Or am I mistaken?

I don't know or understand anything about him anymore. Even if he wants to come back what team would be willing to take a chance with him? It's not like he has an upside anymore. I mean, maybe if he came back he could do better than last year. But still, he's just too old now. Too prone to getting injured, and seriously ******** the rest of his life up.
He won't be back.
This time I think he means it even though he lies about everything else.

not sure to be honest. i think its up to the organization
That's right.
It's not up to us.
I dislike Fail just as much as a lot of you. But there is nothing we can do.
Go ahead. Retire his number. All we have to do is just ignore it or let it go.
As long as we care about it or hold a grudge, it's hurting no one but the one who has the grudge.

Or the bad ones such as interceptions and fumbles.

Before Fargone, the Pack never once lost a playoff home game or a SB.
He is an overrated loser.
He must have been on drugs or stoned when he played. How else can you explain it?

Sure, he's got great numbers. But he has more fails then accomplishments in terms of playoff games and a lot of reg. season games.
He makes an awesome last second pass. They win. Then they lose 3 in a row. That's forgotten about. Why? Because he's Brett Fawkin Favre, that's why. The media darling poster boy of ES(We forgive him easily while we kiss his ***)PN
Brent Fraud had one of his worst seasons ever in 2010. He threw more INTs than TDs. But that is never mentioned and it should be.
Only one, just one, SB win in his 20 yr career. Pathetic.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score