Philly fan board perspective on game

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Always like to read the opponent's comparable fan boards prior to regular season(real) game.

This one is from Scout.com-Eagles vs. Packers thread. A guy named Kent as the author.
---Eagles vs. Packers Discussion Thread

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Eagles kick off the 2007 season with a visit to storied Lambeau Field and a meeting with Brett Favre and the Green Bay Packers. This marks the fourth straight season in which the Eagles play the Packers, and the Eagles are rolling with four straight wins, including a playoff victory in the 2003 season.

Head coach Andy Reid returns to Lambeau Field for just the third time since joining the Eagles back in 1999. Reid was an assistant coach for the Packers for seven years prior to his hire as the Eagles head coach in 1999. Lambeau has enjoyed remarkable homefield advantage over the years (167-101-4 (.621) including the postseason), but it is not the impossible place to play that it once was. In fact, Green Bay was just 3-5 at home in 2006.

An up-and-coming team, the Packers managed a four-game win streak to end the 2006 season and finished with an overall mark of 8-8. Still, Green Bay wasn't mathematically eliminated from the playoff picture until Week 17.

Last Time They Met:
Oct. 2, 2006: Eagles 31, Packers 9
The Eagles overcame a sluggish first half of football to knock out the Green Bay Packers, 31-9, on Monday Night Football at Lincoln Financial Field. Donovan McNabb accounted for all four Eagles touchdowns - two through the air and a career-high two on the ground. Meanwhile, Jim Johnson's defense pressured Brett Favre into throwing two interceptions and plenty of other errant passes all night long.

When The Eagles Have The Ball
With McNabb back under center, the Eagles have all the components to dictate to the Packers defense. On the ground, the team can ride the strengths of Brian Westbrook, who racked up 1,916 yards from scrimmage last season. Through the air, the offense has the capability to strike quick as it did for the first half of 2006. Of course, it all starts up front, and a healthy Shawn Andrews will be key both in the pass game and the run game. Green Bay's defensive front counters with Pro Bowl end Aaron Kampman (89 tackles, 15.5 sacks - second in the NFL). The Eagles held Kampman to half a sack in the win last year, but the Packers still recorded four sacks of McNabb. On the inside, the Packers used the No. 16 overall pick on Tennessee tackle Justin Harrell, who is expected to bolster the run-stopping unit. That group figures to be tested by the trio of Westbrook, Correll Buckhalter and rookie Tony Hunt. L.J. Smith and Westbrook must also contend with middle linebacker Nick Barnett and outside linebacker A.J. Hawk, both of whom are insanely quick and can deliver a hit. In the secondary, the trio of Reggie Brown, Kevin Curtis and Jason Avant will challenge a veteran secondary led by veteran corners Charles Woodson and former Eagle Al Harris. Both are very aggressive defensive backs that like to jump routes in an attempt to make an interception or break ******* the ball in order to deliver a knockout hit. One of the best counters for this style of play is the double move.

When The Packers Have The Ball
Thanks to a steady pass rush and sound coverage in the secondary, Brett Favre and Co. have been limited to 17 points or less in the last six meetings with the Eagles. Statistics aside, Favre still possesses a rocket arm and the leadership mentality to strap a team to his back and find a way to win. The difference this year is the lack of weapons that surround him. Running back Ahman Green is now in Houston and oft-injured receiver Robert Ferguson was released. That leaves Favre leading an offense that is young, but has some potential. The ground game is in the hands of a pair of slashing backs: Vernand Morency, who rushed for 421 yards on 91 carries last season, and second-round pick Brandon Jackson, a 5-10, 212-pound back from Nebraska. The Eagles will look to second-year man Brodrick Bunkley to be a force in the middle to help stop the run. At receiver, Donald Driver returns alongside Greg Jennings, who had an impressive rookie season in '06, including a five-catch, 86-yard performance against the Eagles. In his third year, first as a starter, tight end Donald Lee works the middle of the field and will be a formidable test for new strongside linebacker Chris Gocong.

Key Matchups
Eagles defensive Line vs. Packers defensive line
The real key here is pressuring Favre, who tends to force some ill-advised throws. So look for defensive coordinator Jim Johnson to rotate his linemen and throw fastballs at Favre. Offensive tackles Mark Tauscher and Chad Clifton have been the anchors of the Packers line for some time now but the depth and speed at the end positions should be enough to generate a consistent pass rush on Favre.

Eagles RB Brian Westbrook vs. Packers defense
Westbrook likes to play Green Bay. Just look at the numbers: he rushed for 120 yards vs. Pack in 2005; in 2004 he had a career game with 11 catches for 156 yards and 3 touchdowns. The key with Westbrook is creating mismatches and the coaches will look to move him around the formation as a wide receiver, a slot man or man in motion.

Packers Players to Watch
QB Brett Favre
Though his quarterback rating has dipped into the 70s the last two years, Favre's career rating of 85.1 is hard to beat. His durability, too, is unmatched as he's started 237 straight games. As a starter, Favre is a lifetime 4-7 against Philadelphia, including a completion percentage of 53.8 and a quarterback rating of 62.7. He has thrown 12 touchdowns and 19 interceptions and has been sacked 24 times. In 2006 against the Birds, Favre was 22-of-40 for 205 yards and no touchdowns.

LB A.J. Hawk
The 6-foot-1, 247-pound weakside linebacker is a rising star who did not disappoint in his rookie season. He racked up a team-high 155 tackles, the second-most ever recorded by a Packers' rookie. His 112 solo tackles ranked third in the league. The play-making Hawk quickly became an indispensable defensive asset, registering 3 1/2 sacks, two interceptions, nine pass breakups, a forced fumble and a pair of fumble recoveries.

-- Bob Kent

Hammer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eagle fans have a certain reputation that needs no further discussion, but I have visited their forum from time to time, and the have very little angst and quite a bit of respect for the Packers in general. It's their rivals like NYG, Dallas, TB, and the Foreskins that they reserve their venom for.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good job Net. He is very articulate. He seems to under value the Packer players and over value the Eagles. But since he is an Eagles fan I can accept his assesment.
I remember the Eagles fans that flocked to the old Packer message board and making real @sses of themselves with all their grunts and insults.
Those fans had nothing really constructive to say about the upcoming game. They just wanted to talk trash.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are year in and year out one of the best QB protection units in the NFL.

I thought it was rather flippant to put a statement that "depth and speed of the defensive ends should be enough to generate a CONSISTANT pass rush" when NOBODY has done that even with all the youth last year.

How about:

Key Matchups - Eagles Offensive line vs. Packers Defensive line

Oh ****!

Now that's reasonable.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
How about:

Oh ****!

Now that's reasonable.

The article or assessment of the game is very well done..And like War, I wanted his take on the Pack D-L vs the Philly O-L..

He says that the Philly O will dictate the Packers D..

But he mentions nothing of Pickett, Cole, Jenkins, KGB or the rest..

Is it game day yet??

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
warhawk said:
How about:

Oh ****!

Now that's reasonable.

The article or assessment of the game is very well done..And like War, I wanted his take on the Pack D-L vs the Philly O-L..

He says that the Philly O will dictate the Packers D..

But he mentions nothing of Pickett, Cole, Jenkins, KGB or the rest..

Is it game day yet??

I will be more than surprised if the Philly offense "dicates" our "D".

It will be after this game that all the experts will wake up and say "holy cow they have a real defense up there."

If this guy is right it will be the first time in a very long time our #1 defense was "dictated" to. He should look at the roster. Carroll's not out there anymore. I double dare the double move.

Reaction score
What's interesting is that just this morning I was reading an article from a Philly newspaper that raised questions about the Eagles ability to stop the run.

The Philadelphia Inquirer pointed out that the D-Line and LB crops are in flux after last years poor D. There are still questions about whether or not the Eagles have what it takes to stop the run, and more importantly given the fact that there is change at LB this year, Dawkins might have to play more up in the box to combat some of the growing pains that might appear in the Eagles D due to change.

I thought it was an interesting piece on info. It seems like the quality of the Eagles D isn't as good as years past, which can only be a good thing for us.

Reaction score
Also, the same article mentioned that Dawkins has been nursing an achillies injury this pre-season. You never wish an injury on any player on any team, but that is some damn good news to hear. :D

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really, I think that this game'll come down to the ZBS.

If it's effective and turns on after a dead preseason, we'll own that Philly D.

If not, we'll pass a lot, Favre will take some licks and throw some picks. I think that their passrush/blitzing packages are one of the most formidable in the league.

The eagles O is no joke, and it's been extremely effective for years now, so I think our D makes some plays but also gives quite a bit.

Can't wait for week 1 baby!!!!

Aytumious

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
What's interesting is that just this morning I was reading an article from a Philly newspaper that raised questions about the Eagles ability to stop the run.

The Philadelphia Inquirer pointed out that the D-Line and LB crops are in flux after last years poor D. There are still questions about whether or not the Eagles have what it takes to stop the run, and more importantly given the fact that there is change at LB this year, Dawkins might have to play more up in the box to combat some of the growing pains that might appear in the Eagles D due to change.

I thought it was an interesting piece on info. It seems like the quality of the Eagles D isn't as good as years past, which can only be a good thing for us.

They made a lot of changes from last year.

Darwin Walker was replaced by Broderick Bunckley at DT, a high 1st rounder who did close to nothing last year (9 tackles in garbage time).

They added Takeo Spikes at OLB who is coming off one of the worst seasons of his career after coming off of a season when he missed all but 3 games with a serious injury; he may not be the same player he once was.

Trotter was released and replaced by Omar Gaiter, a 2nd year player who started 7 games at OLB last year.

Starting OLB Chris Gocong has zero tackles on his resume after not playing at all as a rookie.

Kearse has hurt all of last year and hasn't been nearly as productive as he once was the last few seasons. Think KGB against the run.

Their big FA pickup from last season, Darren Howard, was beaten out by Trent Cole on the other side. Their DE's are very weak against the run.

The Eagles were so worried about their front 4 run D they went out and signed 36 year old Kimo Von Oelhoffen after he was cut last week by the Jets.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Their defensive ends not being stout against the run could be huge.

To be successful our tackle needs to handle the DE in this system. Without being able to move the end and the other DL moving with the play it's harder to find a crease.

The one game I saw Philly it looked like our TE's could have a field day. I think our defense is hands down better than theirs.

McMVP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is from goeagles99....excellent poster on our boards. He's going to write a weekly article on the official Eagle's website this year as well....he puts a lot of work into football and is very knowledgeable.

He also runs this site: www.Scoutsnotebook.com

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all of the packer forum regs probably ask themselves "where is that kid who hates the eagles so much"...well anyway im back...

i've been re-itterating to all of my friends who are homer eagles fans that the packers CAN win this game. I'm sick of repeating it to the extent that I cant re-type...but while we have all of the eagles fants gathered in one location, this is very similar to years ago (2000?)...a young eagles team ready to turn the corner playing a veteran cowboys team..."the pickle juice game" most eagle fans will remember this one...i compare that to this...a win here could set up a breakout for this season...

I have Irish fans to bash til Penn State takes care of them tomorrow, be back saturday

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Haha... this is HatestheEagles big weekend!

and you guys can talk about the changes on D for philly all you want to... but the main guy is still there and thats Johnson their D-Coordinator. The guy is as good as the come at DC, but that will be put to the test this weekend.

i know we are the underdog and my bookie thinks im an idiot right now... but, i honestly think we got this game.

its at home, i know thats not been such a good thing lately... but watching the D in preseason and hearing the things they have to say. I got to think that if we ever want home feild advantage back... we got to do it with Defense... and i think we finally have the players to do so.

The Eagles can only stay good for so long... and just by sheer odds you gotta think were due a win by now against those bastards. weve taken it up the tail pipe to these guys quite a bit lately ... 4th and 26 needs to be revenged.

and lastly its the NFL baby... dont ever count your chickens....

Members online

Latest posts