Peter King's take on all of this

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
maybe Favre sees the potential that MM and TT have seen and doesn't want to be forgotten.

he would never ever be forgotten... but maybe he feels that this team is good and Aaron is capable of being Super.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
johnny_blood said:
Obviously all of this is speculation but take your green and gold glasses off for a sec. Forget about Brett Favre for a sec. Put yourself in Aaron Rodgers shoes and look at it from his perspective.

The guy ahead of you finally retires. You finally get that promotion to your dream job. Then that guy decides to come back and management demotes you too your old job giving the other guy his job back. How do you feel? Do you stay with the company or find yourself a new company too work at?

If that person was a HoFer who just finished as MVP runner-up, and I was even considered in the same breath, I suppose I'd feel like a million dollars, which is less than what I'm paid. ;)

Of course Rodgers would be more annoyed than me, since he is cocky and ready to play and believes he can win the Super Bowl. Great! But get over it, young man. Don't go running to one of those teams that made you sit on draft day.

Would I stay at the company? It depends on the quality of the team, coaches, wide receivers, pass protection, our record, and the money they were offering me. All those things are in Green Bay's favor.

I don't see how it was no problem for the team to say Favre was welcome to play out his contract, but it is a problem for Rodgers to deal with Favre's unretirement. It's possible that this will be the crucial thing for Rodgers, but players on every other team routinely shrug off worse slights.

Well your first sentence pretty much indicated you didn't take your green and gold glasses off and you didn't forget about Favre.

I agree for the team having Favre back is great for this year but obviously not for Aaron Rodgers. Once again all he wants to do is play and if the Pack bring Favre back, he won't get that chance so obviously he'll go where he'll get that chance. It's common sense for an athlete wanting too play to go some place he wants too play.

ElleBlue

Cheesehead
Reaction score
de_real_deal said:
whoever came up with the term "favrefirsters" really needs to get a life. Not cute, cool or funny. Pretty dorky & gay if you ask me.

We should start calling them "Rodsters".

johnny_blood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
johnny_blood said:
Obviously all of this is speculation but take your green and gold glasses off for a sec. Forget about Brett Favre for a sec. Put yourself in Aaron Rodgers shoes and look at it from his perspective.

The guy ahead of you finally retires. You finally get that promotion to your dream job. Then that guy decides to come back and management demotes you too your old job giving the other guy his job back. How do you feel? Do you stay with the company or find yourself a new company too work at?

If that person was a HoFer who just finished as MVP runner-up, and I was even considered in the same breath, I suppose I'd feel like a million dollars, which is less than what I'm paid. ;)

Of course Rodgers would be more annoyed than me, since he is cocky and ready to play and believes he can win the Super Bowl. Great! But get over it, young man. Don't go running to one of those teams that made you sit on draft day.

Would I stay at the company? It depends on the quality of the team, coaches, wide receivers, pass protection, our record, and the money they were offering me. All those things are in Green Bay's favor.

I don't see how it was no problem for the team to say Favre was welcome to play out his contract, but it is a problem for Rodgers to deal with Favre's unretirement. It's possible that this will be the crucial thing for Rodgers, but players on every other team routinely shrug off worse slights.

Well your first sentence pretty much indicated you didn't take your green and gold glasses off and you didn't forget about Favre.

No, it doesn't mean I didn't take my green and gold glasses off. Give a reason for saying that. I did not give subjective evaluations, I gave simple facts. If I have 0 starts and am considered good enough that there is even the possibility of not retaining a HoFer and last season's MVP runner up, that is how I would feel. Your scenario talks all about "the guy in front of me", that's Favre. How am I supposed to forget about Favre when you're asking me about how I feel about the guy in front of me starting, as though it would be the same thing if Gus Frerotte or Kyle Orton were starting during your 4th season. If Orton starts over you in your 4th season then the franchise thinks you are not their future QB. That's an overwhelming reason to switch teams. If Favre at near-MVP level starts over you, it doesn't mean that at all.

I agree for the team having Favre back is great for this year but obviously not for Aaron Rodgers. Once again all he wants to do is play and if the Pack bring Favre back, he won't get that chance so obviously he'll go where he'll get that chance. It's common sense for an athlete wanting too play to go some place he wants too play.

He is ours for up to three years and if he's going to hold a grudge, it's going to be a long slog for him. Unless he threatens to retire or is a fragile person who is going to hold a grudge forever, it should blow over. Whether he wants to go somewhere else at the start of this season isn't the issue, the issue is whether he will actually go someplace else. He wanted to be drafted higher and he wanted to play three years ago. Life's not fair, at least he has millions of dollars. Spending the next 2-3 years with our solid OL and sick receiving corps can heal a lot.

Bottom line for me: I only see why Rodgers will be temporarily pissed and disappointed. Getting from there to him refusing to resign is a big step. If he had handled the last three years poorly then I'd be more likely to agree with you.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ben Rothlisberger went 10-1 early in his first year...and that was with a lesser team..

The diff here is that McCarthy and Thompson see what they have in their successor Rodgers. T.T wants Aaron as his centerpiece for his stamp on the packers.. He wants HIS team. Rightfully so. He's the GM.

Brett is from the old regime and just continues to win.

So that's the rough part.

You think Aaron waiting ANOTHER year won't hurt his development?

And who's to say Brett beats out Aaron this year in training camp?
By ALL reports..Aaron's the commander of the team now. He's really
stepped up and everyone's raving about it.

His passes are crisp/accurate and his command of the offense is there.

I say BRING BRETT ON board...

and SEE him NOT win his job back. You guys are thinking he's going to
get it back solely on last year.

Each year is a new year guys. And as you all said it's a "WIN NOW" league.

Aaron Rodgers this year is not Aaron Rodgers of the Dallas game or before.

This is the Aaron Rodgers that I see, that Ted. Thompson sees and that Mike McCarthy has seen. This is also the Rodgers that Brett has NOT seen yet.

It's not good ole "I'll wait behind you forever and I'm your fan" Aaron anymore.

The young lion is staking his claim..and I welcome the old "champion" come try and come back and take it.

Make it an OPEN competition...

Let's see where the chips fall...

Heh. This is funny you and I completely agreeing on this one point - let them compete for the starting job. My $10 would be with Favre winning it though, but if Aaron wins it, I will be behind Aaron 100%.

Agreed Favre in '08 may not be Favre in '07. We all saw that the '07 version was much, much better than the '06 version, but every year is a new year.

johnny_blood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm a third generation Green Bay native who has been cheering since ****ey.

Anyway, your blog post seems inaccurate, I don't think the term was invented last week. It's been used here for months. (Years?)

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
johnny_blood said:
No, it doesn't mean I didn't take my green and gold glasses off. Give a reason for saying that. I did not give subjective evaluations, I gave simple facts. If I have 0 starts and am considered good enough that there is even the possibility of not retaining a HoFer and last season's MVP runner up, that is how I would feel. Your scenario talks all about "the guy in front of me", that's Favre. How am I supposed to forget about Favre when you're asking me about how I feel about the guy in front of me starting, as though it would be the same thing if Gus Frerotte was starting?

He is ours for up to three years and if he's going to hold a grudge, it's going to be a long slog for him. Unless he threatens to retire or is a fragile person who is going to hold a grudge forever, it should blow over. Whether he wants to go somewhere else at the start of this season isn't the issue, the issue is whether he will actually go someplace else. He wanted to be drafted higher and he wanted to play three years ago. Life's not fair, at least he has millions of dollars. Spending the next 2-3 years with our solid OL and sick receiving corps can heal a lot.

Bottom line for me: I only see why Rodgers will be temporarily pissed and disappointed. Getting from there to him refusing to resign is a big step. If he had handled the last three years poorly then I'd be more likely to agree with you.

I'm not calling you a homer or anything when I say green and gold glasses but your looking at this through a fans eyes. You can't do that. That's what I mean. You have to forget about Brett Favre's accomplishments and about being a Packer fan. If we were talking about who the better player is then hell yeah bring up the fact that Favre is a Hall of Fame but you wanted to know why I think Aaron Rodgers will probably want out if GB brings Favre back.

First and for most I'm sure Aaron Rodgers respects Brett Favre but if Rodgers had the choice of who would play he would say Aaron Rodgers. It's that simple. I'm not saying Aaron Rodgers thinks he's better than Favre. I don't know but you know what he probably just wants too play football. Is he enemey #1 because of that? I don't think so. He's just human and if can't play in Green Bay then he's certainly not going to want to stick around Green Bay for longer.

I would love to ask Steve Young what he would do because he's been in the same position Rodgers was in except the team chose him over Montana. Had the team taken Montana do you think Young would've hung around? I sure don't.

I hope your right and Favre comes back and Rodgers is cool with it and when it's his time he plays well and signs long term in Green Bay. That's if everything goes the Packers way but I don't know if that will happen and I'm certainly not expecting it.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
johnny_blood said:
I'm a third generation Green Bay native who has been cheering since ****ey.

Anyway, your blog post seems inaccurate, I don't think the term was invented last week. It's been used here for months. (Years?)

I have also lived in Wisconsin my whole life, and this was the first time I had heard it used.

I changed it giving credit to Green Bay, why not.

johnny_blood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually by "here" I meant this forum! I don't live in Green Bay currently. :)

I only know the term has been used here for quite awhile. I don't know where it originated.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Favre wants back HE SCREWED UP making an announcement before he was freaking ready. Why does somebody have to be faulted or made a scapegoat over it?

Maybe his 'inner circle" is so brainwashed they can't come to grips with the fact Brett Favre made a...........heaven forbid........ don't say it's so........premature and stupid decision! Not Brett!

You think his mom is going to say "Oh yeah, Brett's always been a screw up like that".........from her mansion in Mississippi? MMMMHHHHMM.

Tell me why every time something like this hits it's TT and the "I'll do it my way" theory when he's EXTENDING contracts of all the players that could play ball and chew gum at the same time that were here before him?

TT wants his OWN TEAM while extending Kampy, Harris, Driver, and Barnett, get's every mile he can out of Green, Hondo, Bubba and Davis, BUT he definately wants Favre OUT!! GEEZ my head hurts.

I've never gotten the impression TT or MM were very good at hand holding. I guess that means **** Chaney ought to invite them out for his next quail hunt.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
de_real_deal said:
whoever came up with the term "favrefirsters" really needs to get a life. Not cute, cool or funny. Pretty dorky & gay if you ask me.

I TOTALLY disagree with this. Thanks for the inspiration.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/35601-green-bay-packers-invaded-by-favre-firsters

i dig that link... but the term Favre-Firsters has been around here since I've been here at least and that dates back to the first time Favre was gonna retire. and please don't give credit to a Red Sox fan.

RedSoxExcel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
maybe Favre sees the potential that MM and TT have seen and doesn't want to be forgotten.

he would never ever be forgotten... but maybe he feels that this team is good and Aaron is capable of being Super.

LOL, this has to be one of the funniest comments I've ever seen. I'm officially proclaiming you as a "Rodgers-firster".

You think someone that is a HOF, is hte career leader in TD's, Yards, Wins, etc. is worried about being forgotten because of a guy that hasn't started a single game in the NFL.

I REALLY don't think that this is in Favre's decision making. Aaron is WAY below his level right now. I think Favre's decision making has to do with whether he wants to play again or not. Let's see him start a game before we say that Favre is worried about being forgotten.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:

LOL, this has to be one of the funniest comments I've ever seen. I'm officially proclaiming you as a "Rodgers-firster".

You think someone that is a HOF, is hte career leader in TD's, Yards, Wins, etc. is worried about being forgotten because of a guy that hasn't started a single game in the NFL.

I REALLY don't think that this is in Favre's decision making. Aaron is WAY below his level right now. I think Favre's decision making has to do with whether he wants to play again or not. Let's see him start a game before we say that Favre is worried about being forgotten.

Aaron is not WAY below Favre's level right now...

You seen Aaron play in minicamps?
BRING FAVRE to training camp...
and let him COMPETE evenly w/Aaron this year..

And we'll see who's on who's level...

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I'm all for the whole moving on with Rodgers thing, but seriously, when you have to say things like 'see him in minicamp' trying to compare him to Brett who's played over 250 some odd games.

Seems silly to me.

HEY WATCH HIM PRACTICE!! lol :)

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you are right Zero. I think Aaron can take the team to the same spot as Favre, but just in identifying defenses alone, it really isnt a contest.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm all for the whole moving on with Rodgers thing, but seriously, when you have to say things like 'see him in minicamp' trying to compare him to Brett who's played over 250 some odd games.

Seems silly to me.

HEY WATCH HIM PRACTICE!! lol :)

Silly yes, but the 250odd game guy has been sitting on his butt
doing farm chores and not prepping for the season.

While his 24 year old successor has been here all off season
making is stamp on the team...

So with that in mind, the chances that Brett rolls out of bed
and outplays Aaron are very unrealistic.

johnny_blood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with Zero also. I mean, crisp passes and his teammates are saying nice things in the offseason? That means NFL success, right? Because if he wasn't going to be great he wouldn't be throwing spirals, and his teammates would be dissing him publicly before he ever starts a game.

I have great faith in Aaron but you have to do it on the field for a full season. We know Favre can, we hope Aaron can.

johnny_blood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett "rolled out of bed" last year and outplayed everyone except Brady.

I don't care if Rodgers and McCarthy are sharing a bunk bed at Lambeau, this argument about offseason prowess isn't going to convince anyone but Aaron's dad.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dude I am in no way insuating that Arod is gonna be better than Favre.

I'm just saying that the same GM and Head Coach that built a 14-4 NFC North Division champion team out of nothing seem to think the kid has it.... who the hell am i to argue.

but im sure some front runner on a forum knows more than they do.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No one saying Favre should come. No one is saying Aaron can't take them just as far as Brett.

The more I think of it maybe I will consider this a good problem. If we had Tarvaris Jackson we wouldn't be having this discussion.

RedSoxExcel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dude I am in no way insuating that Arod is gonna be better than Favre.

I'm just saying that the same GM and Head Coach that built a 14-4 NFC North Division champion team out of nothing seem to think the kid has it.... who the hell am i to argue.

but im sure some front runner on a forum knows more than they do.

Um. I don't even know what to say to this. So in your eyes, anyone that builds a 14-4 team can't be questioned? What is the point of having a forum then if you can't question a team. So if Favre says I want back and TT says "ok, come", then you won't question that move as a clear Rodgers supporter because he build a "14-4 team"?

Do you realize the amount of the times a "14-4" GM has been wrong about someone. It doesn't always work out.

But you are talking about someone who is one of the greatest QB's of all time. A HOF'er, THE career leader in TD's, Yards and Wins. Has a Super Bowl. And saying that he might be worried about being forgotten due to a kid that hasn't even started a NFL game yet. That is what I'm referring to as going too far.

Minicamps? Seriously? I actually feel bad for Aaron Rodgers and I have posted that before. The expectations on this kid are out of control.` You honestly believe a player who hasn't started a single NFL game is going to outplay a HOF QB coming off a season of 4000 yards and 28 TD's because he looks good in minicamps? The chances of Rodgers having a better career than Favre are VERY VERY low. Go to ESPN.com and look at the article on QB's taking over for HOF QB's. Yeah Rodgers looks good, but to even put him in the same sentence as Favre right now is going too far IMO. As I've said, I feel bad for him.

RedSoxExcel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No one saying Favre should come. No one is saying Aaron can't take them just as far as Brett.

The more I think of it maybe I will consider this a good problem. If we had Tarvaris Jackson we wouldn't be having this discussion.

We can't even say that because Rodgers hasn't started an NFL game yet. Jackson has. We don't know what Rodgers has like Minnesota fans knows with Jackson. Thats my whole point.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
johnny_blood said:

I don't care if Rodgers and McCarthy are sharing a bunk bed at Lambeau, this argument about offseason prowess isn't going to convince anyone but Aaron's dad.

He didn't roll out of bed last year.
Brett was DRAGGED out of bed wondering if he's gonna play or not...
Wondering if he's gonna have the 'motivation' etc..
and had to be ego stroked and coaxed into it...

AND he had to prepare like crazy w/core training etc...

So he had to bust his *** to keep his SPOT.

He outplayed everyone but Brady???

He outplayed both Mannings? umm...okay..

BRETT hasn't done squat like last year to keep himself in tip top shape.
So while Aaron's been RUNNING THE TEAM...Brett's been loafing around.

All I'm saying is that Brett's gonna have to TAKE the job from Aaron this time around. He's no longer keeping the seat warm.

And just because Brett played well last year doesn't mean he his head and shoulders better this year.

ALSO this "Aaron hasn't played a down yet" is not true. He played
in a regular season game. Phillip Rivers didn't play a DOWN for 2 years
and they still believed he should start.

It's not infallible for the Packers brass to have seen ENOUGH in Aaron to want him be the GUY from now on.

It's Natural. The old lion is not going to give up his spot easily and the young lion is not going to let him have it w/out a fight now.

Also Aaron's Dad's name is ED RODGERS...

not Cal2GreenBay..(my name's Mike)...
and last name's not Rodgers...

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
johnny_blood said:

He didn't roll out of bed last year.
Brett was DRAGGED out of bed wondering if he's gonna play or not...
Wondering if he's gonna have the 'motivation' etc..
and had to be ego stroked and coaxed into it...

AND he had to prepare like crazy w/core training etc...

So he had to bust his *** to keep his SPOT.

He outplayed everyone but Brady???

He outplayed both Mannings? umm...okay..

BRETT hasn't done squat like last year to keep himself in tip top shape.
So while Aaron's been RUNNING THE TEAM...Brett's been loafing around.

All I'm saying is that Brett's gonna have to TAKE the job from Aaron this time around. He's no longer keeping the seat warm.

And just because Brett played well last year doesn't mean he his head and shoulders better this year.

ALSO this "Aaron hasn't played a down yet" is not true. He played
in a regular season game. Phillip Rivers didn't play a DOWN for 2 years
and they still believed he should start.

It's not infallible for the Packers brass to have seen ENOUGH in Aaron to want him be the GUY from now on.

It's Natural. The old lion is not going to give up his spot easily and the young lion is not going to let him have it w/out a fight now.

Also Aaron's Dad's name is ED RODGERS...

not Cal2GreenBay..(my name's Mike)...
and last name's not Rodgers...
Cal...

You have inside info on him NOT working out?

Prove to me Brett has not had a personal trainer, has not been working out at a local high school ( he has done both from what i recall past 2 years)

Latest posts