Peter King's take on all of this

ElleBlue

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been reading several times that he has his family "do his bidding". Do we know this for a fact? If there are some people with big mouths in circle, he can't control that. They are yapping and he is telling the papers it's all rumor. He had nothing to hide. He retired and if he's having second thoughts, well that's just what they are... second thoughts. Not some evil scheme to bring down the Packers organization and to sweat TT.

I think IF he is thinking of coming out of retirement, it is because he can't imagine life after football (or maybe a case of mid life crisis). Nothing more.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
johnny_blood said:
first of all... who the hell is Randy Nelson.

That was a malapropism, sorry. I combined Jordy Nelson's name with our old receiver, Randy Jordan.

secondly. ah screw it.... if you can't get our first pick of the draft right... its not worth my time.

That is a really dramatic response to a typo.

I agree.

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
de_real_deal said:
This is a win now league. Favre gives us the best option to win now. How does this hurt the team? how does giving rodgers another year to prepare hurt his progress? we are going to lose 3+ games in rodgers first year due to his inexperience alone. lets put that off as long as we can. we're not talking about kurt warner or vinny testaverde here. were talking about a hall of famer who had one of his best seasons last year who got us to within one pass of the superbowl and who was an mvp candidate. Not to mention, he is a hero to many.

Yes, he changes his mind too often. Like me, he's a libra, what do you expect. They are the most indecisive people out there. The most dissapointing thing about him retiring in March was that there was no farewell tour like most of the other greats had. He needs a farewell tour and then it is finished and A-Rod can take over.

Its really ridiculous to see some people on here act like Favre is doing unspeakable damage to the franchise by coming back. It does not effect our salary cap at all. We're way under the cap and do not need the money this year any way, probably not next either. Also, what better way to spend our cap money than on a HOF QB who knows our offense?

Everyone is so concerned about A-Rod's feelings. Who cares. What has he earned? What does he deserve? Other than telling his "fans" to "shut up and get on board"(which favre has never done), what had A-Rod done? He hasnt played a full game without getting injured or winning a game. Yes, he played well vs a Cowboys team that was killing the packers and had set themselves on cruise control, had not gameplanned for A-Rod or expected to see him. This performance is a huge reason people are so willing to put Favre out to pasture and move one with A-Rod. You people are dreaming. 90% chance A-rod will lead us to a 6-10 or 7-9 season at best and will struggle mightily as all first year qb's do.

i love the "get on board now, or keep your mouth shut" quote.

its like radar for Favre-Firsters.

whoever came up with the term "favrefirsters" really needs to get a life. Not cute, cool or funny. Pretty dorky & gay if you ask me.

Reaction score
johnny_blood said:
Wolf drafted two QBs several times. At most you'd lose Flynn.

Brohm was a pure TT value pick. Flynn was a late rounder who could've been drafted for the practice squad anyway.

Ease up on j_blood, trom and packnic.

I think he has a good point, it's unfair to say that Brett messed up our draft. With reports that Ted was trying to trade up to get Brohm, you'd have to think that indicates that Brohm was a great value pick when we picked him. Ted is all about value in the draft.

As for Flynn, numerous reports said that TT thought Flynn was a 5th round prospect. Considering Flynn was there in the seventh, and there weren't many glaring holes we needed to fill with a seventh rounder, I think it's likely that Flynn would've been Ted's choice even if Brett was on the roster.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
johnny_blood said:

Brohm was a pure TT value pick. Flynn was a late rounder who could've been drafted for the practice squad anyway.

I think he has a good point, it's unfair to say that Brett messed up our draft. With reports that Ted was trying to trade up to get Brohm, you'd have to think that indicates that Brohm was a great value pick when we picked him. Ted is all about value in the draft.

As for Flynn, numerous reports said that TT thought Flynn was a 5th round prospect. Considering Flynn was there in the seventh, and there weren't many glaring holes we needed to fill with a seventh rounder, I think it's likely that Flynn would've been Ted's choice even if Brett was on the roster.

Brohm was getting drafted no matter what. Flynn i question ... but Ted has done crazier things.

however... last years draft is the last thing i think about when i say the organization has moved on. Flynn is just one of the things that could have been different i think... but not a major one.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We drafted Brohm because he was there.

He had no business being there that late in the draft. It has nothing to do with Favre. Now, I don't know TT personally, but that's my guess. I'm pretty confident though that that's why we drafted him.

Knowing TT, he picks BPA. Brohm was the BPA, clearly.

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i'm sorry but all this talk of a "few rogue packer fans" not liking this whole situation is a tad ridiculous. i immediately called my mom who knows VERY little about football in general, told her about favre possibly wanting to come back, & her FIRST response was how that would change the way she feels about him, not only as a player but as a man. i had to agree with her completely! keep in mind that brett wrote a wonderful letter to my dying dad, sent me several private messages on his website while my dad was dying, & even sent me a message expressing his sympathy AFTER my dad died. so...to call ME or my mom "rogue packer fans" is pushing the notion WAY too far, in my opinion.

johnny_blood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i'm sorry but all this talk of a "few rogue packer fans" not liking this whole situation is a tad ridiculous. i immediately called my mom who knows VERY little about football in general, told her about favre possibly wanting to come back, & her FIRST response was how that would change the way she feels about him, not only as a player but as a man. i had to agree with her completely! keep in mind that brett wrote a wonderful letter to my dying dad, sent me several private messages on his website while my dad was dying, & even sent me a message expressing his sympathy AFTER my dad died. so...to call ME or my mom "rogue packer fans" is pushing the notion WAY too far, in my opinion.

This is exactly why I changed how I feel about Reggie White. He did this. Twice!

(Yes, I realize the Reggie situation was different in important ways. I also remember plenty of Packers fans ready to "move on" after the first retirement.)

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey 4pack...what's shaking? Have not heard from you in quite a while.

Another year, and more drama....seems to never end up in lil' ol' GB.

Now matter how this shakes out, it will do some damage to this team. I mean, if Favre comes back, do you think Rodgers is gonna sign after his first contract expires next year. I would be inclined to tell my employer, whomever it may be, to F off if they ****ed me around like that.

And if he does not come back and plays for someone else, the organization looks bad.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Thanks, 4Pack. Goes to show he's not selfish at all. I'm tired of this media crap that likes to ruin our heroes.

I'm a HUGE Favre fan, but I'm a Packer fan first. I just want us to win SBs, and Favre probably is still better than Rodgers. Bring him back, let them compete for the starting position. My $10 would be on Favre winning it over Rodgers.

johnny_blood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I mean, if Favre comes back, do you think Rodgers is gonna sign after his first contract expires next year. I would be inclined to tell my employer, whomever it may be, to F off if they ****ed me around like that.

Rodgers has made millions of dollars while not being exposed to any of the wear and tear. This is going to extend his career. On top of that he still has as much, if not more, cachet than he had when he was drafted. Compare that to Alex Smith of the same year. He has been completely shielded from the fate of people like Akili Smith, David Carr, Ryan Leaf, etc. He will be getting a big contract extension from someone, hopefully us. Alex Smith could get less than Rodgers in his second contract. Grossman made it to the Super Bowl and got a tiny one year extension. Of course Aaron wants to play but the way his career has turned out has completely insulated him from downside financial risk and kept him in a perpetual state of "top QB prospect."

Most highly touted QBs do not pan out in the NFL. The way things have gone for Rodgers have shielded him from being exposed or injured. I personally believe he will be a good QB but we do not KNOW that. Rodgers has lost nothing. He has two years on his contract plus a franchise option in the third year.

The character and maturity and teamwork he has shown the last three years gives me faith that he can get through a possible Favre return. If not, I'm not sure he's our QB of the future.

Not to mention that nearly every NFL franchise but us "****ed him around" in the draft. If he's going to hold grudges that's going to rule out a lot of teams. I don't think Rodgers has proven anything in the NFL and he isn't going to refuse to resign just because he feels entitled to start this year.

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hey digsy - busy busy busy! let's see - in a nutshell, got divorced, dated & partied like a rock star for several months, remembered that i AM, in fact, a 39 year old mom of twin boys, pulled myself together, met a great guy, got engaged, moved to his hometown, & hopefully will live happily ever after...IS there such a thing???? ;)

and yes, zombie, i truly believe that brett has unselfish qualities & was awesome to my entire family but i ALSO believe that you need to stand by your word. it's a hard call but for me, i will have a VERY hard time feeling the same way about him if he, in fact, is pushing this whole "un-retire" deal.

RedSoxExcel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1) Who came up with "Favre-Firster". It is SO childish. Because people don't agree with you that Rodgers is better for this team than Favre, they are automatically Favre-Firsters. Doesn't that mean you are a "Rodgers-Firster". I'm not a Favre fan, I'm not a Rodgers fan, I'm a Packers fan AND I'm a fan of winning and I think Favre gives us a better chance at that. I don't fully believe in Rodgers based on half a game against Dallas. He hasn't even been healthy. I'd rather take the guy that threw for 4,000 yards and 28 TD's and was a Pro Bowl starter than a unproven rookie, oh no, I'm a "Favre-firster".

2) The draft issue, how does anyone on this board know what TT was thinking when he picked his players. How do you know he didn't just take the best player available or he was in love with Flynn months ago and was going to take him regardless if he was available. I don't understand where people have this inside information that TT drafted 2 QB's based solely on Favre retiring. And arn't you kind of grasping at straws, do you really think the difference between Flynn and someone else at that spot will make a unbelievable difference down the line? IMO, the Flynn pick/Favre drama is highly overrated and people grasping at straws to try to make Favre look like an a-hole.

3) Can someone people explain what the drama is here? If the Packers decide they don't want Favre (which IMO is pretty apprent, with the whole "Packers have no comment" reaction), why is everyone so worked up. He'll come back out of retirement, we will trade or release him. What's the issue then? Seriously, I don't get it but maybe I'm missing something.

And please please, don't use the "distraction" point. Tiki Barber created a million distrations, Strahan came in and out of retirement and the Giants won the Super Bowl. The Pats had spygate all over them all season and they made it to the Super Bowl with a 18-0 record. I think if your a good team, you overcome that. If Rodgers is who everyone says he is, he can overcome the distraction of Favre playing for another team.

4) Why are people commenting on his "legacy", its his legacy, he can do whatever he wants with it, why does it affect you as a Packers fan whether he comes out of retirement and plays for another team. I really don't htink he cares what you think or what some columnist thinks, he's a HOF QB with a Super Bowl and every conceivable team and individual QB record. I really doubt he sits there and worries about what Joe in GB is going to say if he comes back or not, he's broken a lot of bones in his body for 16 years for this organization and played hurt and gave it his all. If you get worked up over his legacy, I really doubt he gives a rat's you know what.

Micheal Jordan came back and played for the Wizards. I lived in Chicago at the time. People were worked up for a bit, two years later, no one cares. He's still a legend there and everyone loves him. Montana played for the Chiefs, is anyone even remember that? In the grand scheme of things, I really don't think his "legacy" (whatever that means) is hurt.

RedSoxExcel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
johnny_blood said:
I mean, if Favre comes back, do you think Rodgers is gonna sign after his first contract expires next year. I would be inclined to tell my employer, whomever it may be, to F off if they ****ed me around like that.

Rodgers has made millions of dollars while not being exposed to any of the wear and tear. This is going to extend his career. On top of that he still has as much, if not more, cachet than he had when he was drafted. Compare that to Alex Smith of the same year. He has been completely shielded from the fate of people like Akili Smith, David Carr, Ryan Leaf, etc. He will be getting a big contract extension from someone, hopefully us. Alex Smith could get less than Rodgers in his second contract. Grossman made it to the Super Bowl and got a tiny one year extension. Of course Aaron wants to play but the way his career has turned out has completely insulated him from downside financial risk and kept him in a perpetual state of "top QB prospect."

Most highly touted QBs do not pan out in the NFL. The way things have gone for Rodgers have shielded him from being exposed or injured. I personally believe he will be a good QB but we do not KNOW that. Rodgers has lost nothing. He has two years on his contract plus a franchise option in the third year.

The character and maturity and teamwork he has shown the last three years gives me faith that he can get through a possible Favre return. If not, I'm not sure he's our QB of the future.

Sweet post! I agree 100%.

Watch out though, because you have somewhat even remotely balanced opinion on Rodgers, now you are a "Favre Firster".

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Micheal Jordan came back and played for the Wizards. I lived in Chicago at the time. People were worked up for a bit, two years later, no one cares. He's still a legend there and everyone loves him.

I was just going to post something about this. I was a huge Bulls fan, thought as long as they had Jordan, the Bulls wouldn't lose (they didn't really). But like you said, I don't even remember him with the Wizards, the plays he made with Bulls were all that mattered.

The difference with that situation and the Favre situation, is that if he comes back with a contender, he has a real shot at winning. Jordan's Wizards never did squat.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good article and you learn a lot of things like Thompson wanting Favre too play in 2006 for one. It's pretty clear though that it sounds like the Packers are moving on. It'll be interesting what comes about. I'm sure the front office is going to have meetings and think strong and hard about what to do.

King might be right. They may just put their foot in their mouths and bring Favre back and if Rodgers leaves then Brohm is the future.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
de_real_deal said:
This is a win now league. Favre gives us the best option to win now. How does this hurt the team? how does giving rodgers another year to prepare hurt his progress? we are going to lose 3+ games in rodgers first year due to his inexperience alone. lets put that off as long as we can. we're not talking about kurt warner or vinny testaverde here. were talking about a hall of famer who had one of his best seasons last year who got us to within one pass of the superbowl and who was an mvp candidate. Not to mention, he is a hero to many.

Yes, he changes his mind too often. Like me, he's a libra, what do you expect. They are the most indecisive people out there. The most dissapointing thing about him retiring in March was that there was no farewell tour like most of the other greats had. He needs a farewell tour and then it is finished and A-Rod can take over.

Its really ridiculous to see some people on here act like Favre is doing unspeakable damage to the franchise by coming back. It does not effect our salary cap at all. We're way under the cap and do not need the money this year any way, probably not next either. Also, what better way to spend our cap money than on a HOF QB who knows our offense?

Everyone is so concerned about A-Rod's feelings. Who cares. What has he earned? What does he deserve? Other than telling his "fans" to "shut up and get on board"(which favre has never done), what had A-Rod done? He hasnt played a full game without getting injured or winning a game. Yes, he played well vs a Cowboys team that was killing the packers and had set themselves on cruise control, had not gameplanned for A-Rod or expected to see him. This performance is a huge reason people are so willing to put Favre out to pasture and move one with A-Rod. You people are dreaming. 90% chance A-rod will lead us to a 6-10 or 7-9 season at best and will struggle mightily as all first year qb's do.

I would have believed this to be true if Favre would have just come back and said "hell yeah let's go for it" and everyone could have gotten on that track from the beginning.

Now it's a different story.

This will be a disjointed team on uncertain ground with switching gears. Retired. Unretired. Much of all the work done thus far to waste with a thirty eight year QB not coming into camp nearly as prepared as the past.

Best chance for victory now?

I think not. In fact I think this whole scenario wreaks of a disaster of huge proportions.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
johnny_blood said:

I would argue that the Brohm pick is even more important if Favre comes back. Right now Brohm looks like a developmental player to backup Rodgers and maybe be a starter on another team when GB trades him.

As I've said if Favre is the QB next year then Rodgers is done and has little too no future in Green Bay. That makes Brohm your future starter and obviously a much more important pick.

johnny_blood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I've said if Favre is the QB next year then Rodgers is done and has little too no future in Green Bay. That makes Brohm your future starter and obviously a much more important pick.

Did you say why you believe that? I may have missed your argument. Some people treat this point as self-evident. I sure think it isn't.

If on draft day in 2005 you'd have known that a QB with zero career starts would force his way off the team if Brett was the MVP runner-up and then decided to unretire, would you have drafted Rodgers?

I wouldn't have. But I don't believe that's true.

Matt Hasselbeck was brought in by Holmgren to be the man in Seattle. After actually starting in the NFL he was benched for a non-Hall of Famer, yet bounced back. Rodgers can't even bounce back from spending a few off-season months planning to be the starter? I think he can.

An NFL QB has to be able to shrug off worse than this.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
johnny_blood said:

Did you say why you believe that? I may have missed your argument. Some people treat this point as self-evident. I sure think it isn't.

If on draft day in 2005 you'd have known that a QB with zero career starts would force his way off the team if Brett was the MVP runner-up and then decided to unretire, would you have drafted Rodgers?

I wouldn't have. But I don't believe that's true.

Matt Hasselbeck was brought in by Holmgren to be the man in Seattle. After actually starting in the NFL he was benched for a non-Hall of Famer, yet bounced back. Rodgers can't even bounce back from spending a few off-season months planning to be the starter? I think he can.

An NFL QB has to be able to shrug off worse than this.

Well obviously I can't say for sure what is going to happen because I can't see into the future. :lol:

However this situation is very different from anything we've seen in a while. Hasselbeck was benched because he played poorly. Rodgers hasn't been given a chance too play yet. Just when Rodgers is about too prove himself, he's going to be benched again in favor of Favre.

I said before that people telling Rodgers to shut up and sit down and earn it probably have never been very competitive person in their life. Rodgers is competitive and he wants too play football. If Favre was in this same situation I'd expect the same thing. This is also why I don't buy into let them compete and the better man wins the job. If Favre loses to Rodgers he's not sticking around to be his backup. He'll retire or demand a trade. Why? Favre is competitive and he wants too play. Heck that's why he wants too come out of retirement. He's an athlete ready to compete. Nothing beats that adrenaline rush on Sunday's I would assume.

Peter King brings it up in this article. If he's Aaron Rodgers he tells McCarthy that after 2009 he's not resigning with the Packers. Obviously all of this is speculation but take your green and gold glasses off for a sec. Forget about Brett Favre for a sec. Put yourself in Aaron Rodgers shoes and look at it from his perspective.

The guy ahead of you finally retires. You finally get that promotion to your dream job. Then that guy decides to come back and management demotes you too your old job giving the other guy his job back. How do you feel? Do you stay with the company or find yourself a new company too work at?

Another thing that just came too me is I think Rodgers has said in interviews that the team has moved on. He's said he doesn't know if Favre will go play for another team but the Packers have moved on with the players they have. I thought that was pretty telling as well. I think the interview was with Jim Rome.

johnny_blood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obviously all of this is speculation but take your green and gold glasses off for a sec. Forget about Brett Favre for a sec. Put yourself in Aaron Rodgers shoes and look at it from his perspective.

The guy ahead of you finally retires. You finally get that promotion to your dream job. Then that guy decides to come back and management demotes you too your old job giving the other guy his job back. How do you feel? Do you stay with the company or find yourself a new company too work at?

If that person was a HoFer who just finished as MVP runner-up, and I was even considered in the same breath, I suppose I'd feel like a million dollars, which is less than what I'm paid. ;)

Of course Rodgers would be more annoyed than me, since he is cocky and ready to play and believes he can win the Super Bowl. Great! But get over it, young man. Don't go running to one of those teams that made you sit on draft day.

Would I stay at the company? It depends on the quality of the team, coaches, wide receivers, pass protection, our record, and the money they were offering me. All those things are in Green Bay's favor.

I don't see how it was no problem for the team to say Favre was welcome to play out his contract, but it is a problem for Rodgers to deal with Favre's unretirement. It's possible that this will be the crucial thing for Rodgers, but players on every other team routinely shrug off worse slights.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
de_real_deal said:

Ben Rothlisberger went 10-1 early in his first year...and that was with a lesser team..

The diff here is that McCarthy and Thompson see what they have in their successor Rodgers. T.T wants Aaron as his centerpiece for his stamp on the packers.. He wants HIS team. Rightfully so. He's the GM.

Brett is from the old regime and just continues to win.

So that's the rough part.

You think Aaron waiting ANOTHER year won't hurt his development?

And who's to say Brett beats out Aaron this year in training camp?
By ALL reports..Aaron's the commander of the team now. He's really
stepped up and everyone's raving about it.

His passes are crisp/accurate and his command of the offense is there.

I say BRING BRETT ON board...

and SEE him NOT win his job back. You guys are thinking he's going to
get it back solely on last year.

Each year is a new year guys. And as you all said it's a "WIN NOW" league.

Aaron Rodgers this year is not Aaron Rodgers of the Dallas game or before.

This is the Aaron Rodgers that I see, that Ted. Thompson sees and that Mike McCarthy has seen. This is also the Rodgers that Brett has NOT seen yet.

It's not good ole "I'll wait behind you forever and I'm your fan" Aaron anymore.

The young lion is staking his claim..and I welcome the old "champion" come try and come back and take it.

Make it an OPEN competition...

Let's see where the chips fall...

Members online

Latest posts