Pathetic Special Teams

ghostsoflambeau

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Horrible. Unbelievable. Embarrassing.

I will be absolutely shocked if Slocum keeps his job next year.
What a bunch of hacks....

I'm absolutely shocked that this bum is still coaching on this team. The special teams have shown to be boneheaded, but now soft. A bunch of football players trying to avoid hitting a guard. Stick your arm out, run along side him and try to force him out-of-bounds, but don't tackle him because he might hurt us. Same thing from the offense on the interception. Bunch of pansies that are a reflection of our pansy head coach and special teams coach. PA-FRICKING-THETIC

joshsup17

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I wanna know why we are always kicking to the 30, get a real kicker that can send it through the end zone, this year nebraska graduates a kicker that almost always sails it through the endzone in Adi Kunalic, also we graduate possibly the best field goal kicker in college football history in alex henery, who can double as a coffin corner punter.... GET these guys, and then we wont have to worry about a 300 pounder fielding a kick

gmann001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its the players that suck ***. The only thing a new coach could do is put in new players. You know McCarthy has most of the say in that

Been wanting Slocum fired for a long time now, but I do have to wonder how much all of these injuries throughout the season played into how poorly special teams is playing. Are guys getting too winded or something like that since they now have to play alot more? If so, then is it a conditioning thing and the strength-conditioning coaches need to be looking for employment soon?

erik_m_vos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
**** this guy, I will hate him for his entire tenure in GB. If he's not fired, no matter how good our ST is in future years if he's kept around, I WANT HIM FIRED.

This guy loses games, period. WE CAN'T TACKLE A FAT GUY???

Say what you want about players making mistakes, it's our coach's job to tell a player to TACKLE the guy, not strip the ball.

Ugh, I'm disgusted. Here ya go, Pats, here's 7 points ya ****s.

To be fair, our tackling sucked period the whole game! Hernandez shrugged off Shield's tackle attempt for a TD, Woodhead numerous time ran through 2-4 guys.

narmer2000

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does anyone know why they squib kick so much? I cant believe that our special teams is that inept that they have to resort in short kicks to stop them. I get po'ed everytime they do it. Last night was a classic example of why it doesnt work. Outcoached again it seems.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
I think I have to side with gmann, I think its the injuries are playing more of an impact on special teams. Sure our special teams coach may have something to do with it, but think of how many players are injured and how many may be on special teams. The light tackling was what I was more upset about in the game, not only that run, but at the pick 6, why didn't anyone knock him down was all I was thinking.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are 8-6, and 4 of those 6 losses can be attributed to one special teams failure.

#1- The loss to the Bears where they allowed Hester's first PR for a TD in a few years. True, the zebra's did let them get away with one blatant illegal block in the back against Hawk on the play, and another ticky-tacky one against Quarless. True, there were 3 other bad calls by refs, one on a TD to Jermichael they called back and 2 on game-winning Ints by us. But still, the special teams cost us 7 points in that 3 point loss.

#2- Miami, which is a bad team that we should never lose to, at home especially. Again, the refs banged us on this one when they called Francois for being less than a yard away from their long snapper, even though he was the same spot on other punts and even though he didn't immediately bull rush him as the rule states. A bad call, but nonetheless, that call was as big as a turnover, and the Dolphins got their game-winning points after that. Another 3 point, OT loss.

#3- Atlanta... after Rodgers comes up Joe Montana-Super Bowl clutch, the kick return unit allows a huge return to get into FG range almost which costs us the game on another FG loss at the end.

#4- Last night, we allow an NFL ALL TIME record to a slow white offensive lineman, where 2 of our guys take each other out, and then Peprah allows the guy to get an extra 30 yards.

In all of those 4 games, our special teams lost points in a close game.
None of those games, or any close wins, did our special teams MAKE A PLAY that provided positive points and helped us win.

Our draft in April and any FA signings, and COACHING moves, 100% of the focus needs to be on injecting value to special teams. Start with a new ST coach.

We lose close games all the time, and that 3rd phase always costs us!

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
To be fair, our tackling sucked period the whole game! Hernandez shrugged off Shield's tackle attempt for a TD, Woodhead numerous time ran through 2-4 guys.

that was a bad defensive play call, Capers know's better than to have a rookie corner back lined up on a 6'5'' tight end, that was stupid.

The Special Team's is the laughing stock of our team, We are by far the worst Special teams, organization in the NFL, It's embarrassing. If I was MM and shawn slocum was my best friend I would still fire his ***, right now today. Some one needs to get this ship straightened out. squibb kicks, missed tackling, 71 yard returns by lineman, constantly giving up 40-50 yard returns, THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE AND EASILY FIXED. People here are acting like, oh its so hard to play special teams, and well we have a bunch of injuries and it hurts special teams. BULL ****, there are atleast 5000 former NCAA athletes out there who we could sign and they would all do a hell of a job playing special teams. If we don't have 11 guys that can go out there and tackle the guy with the ball, then what the hell is TT doing. Special teams is so much simpler than defense or offense, For the last 4 years our ST has been real bad, for the past 2 years it has been the worst in the league. There is NO REASON FOR IT TO BE THIS BAD, I'm sick of hearing excuses for why its so bad. There is no excuse for squibb kicking, there is no excuse for letting the other team start at the 40 yard line all day instead of the 20. Shawn slocum is incompetant, there is no way around it, he must be fired.

If we had just an average ST group, we might be undefeated right now. Imagine if the other team had to start at the 20 yard line every-time they got the ball, you know like our offense has too..And when the Lights are on, and the game is on the line, our special teams goes from terrible, to laughable. Imagine if we stopped giving up free field goals at the end of games...

and @ packersRs no retard or retrded is not PC, mentally handicapped mentally challenged is PC, but "retarded" is technically the correct term, so it's kind of up in the air, and depends on how you use it.

TampaPacMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After the poor performance by the special teams during the 2009 season, McCarthy stated that during training camp for the 2010 season he was going to place emphasis on improving special teams play. Despite, his promises, the special teams play has been just as bad this year! Slocum needs to be fired at the end of this season!

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We know we've had a ton of injuries, an abnormal high amount.
Well a lot of those are special teams guys, like Chillar, Poppinga, Brad Jones, Derrick Martin, Anthony Smith, Frank Zombo.

We even missed Nick Collins on kick coverage last night when he was out with the bruised ribs.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Injuries are part of it, but ST has been a weakness for us since MM took over. It should be noted that we ranked 31st in special teams last year, but the Saints ranked 29th (Dallas Morning News), so I don't think it's necessarily the reason we can't win close games.

I think the failure to be able to control the ball and the clock with a dominating run game is by far the most important deficiency of the McCarthy era.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
That play is highlight material all over the NFL. It's a total embarrassment. I try to stay positive about most things Packer-related. But I just can't get my mind around how we can be so bad. I know alot of players are hurt, I get that, but the offense most times moves the ball, the defense is superior and both of those units have the same injuries.
It just doesn't add up, the only other intangible is coaching. I rarely call for a coaches job, but this guy just flat out sucks. And BTW, you can't just go grab some extra ST players as someone suggested, you'd have to have them on the roster which thins other areas.
I think the answer is simple, get a new ST coach!

Latest posts