Parris Campbell

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shame you didn't join in, I would have loved to see your horrible draft class. I was actually hoping you would, I was all for you taking the Packers.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Here are the FACTS Dante.

The Packers have tried to get away with shopping in the later rounds for receivers for some time now and it's FAILED! I know we have people holding onto this hope that some of these young guys will shine but the chances based on past statistics says it isn't that likely to work out. DISCLAIMER- This does not mean I am rooting against our younger guys but just being realistic

The chances are much greater that a graded 1st round prospect such as Campbell will have a higher probability of being successful then our current re-treads. With the offense being where it is at and needing a serious boost it is time to OVERDRAFT SPEED AND ATHLETICISM and I don't think getting Campbell in the 20's to even be over drafting there.

We are running out of time and something needs to be done NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not next draft. Not next free agency. Not some pipe dream trade that will never happen. We need to target one NOW!

Dial it back.

I have not argued against the validity of taking a WR early. We have consistently been in agreement this offseason that the Packers could target a player to man the slot and serve as a YAC threat.

We are talking about your comment that you can't overdraft speed and athleticism at the receiver position. I wanted to point out the reality that doing that has been a highly risky strategy.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Dial it back.

I have not argued against the validity of taking a WR early. We have consistently been in agreement this offseason that the Packers could target a player to man the slot and serve as a YAC threat.

We are talking about your comment that you can't overdraft speed and athleticism at the receiver position. I wanted to point out the reality that doing that has been a highly risky strategy.

Yes, drafting track athletes to play WR or any position for that matter is very very risky but when you have a guy like Campbell who is as fast in pads you go get him. These guys don't come around too often.

I think my comment about over drafting got misunderstood or I just didnt word it correctly.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Yes, drafting track athletes to play WR or any position for that matter is very very risky but when you have a guy like Campbell who is as fast in pads you go get him. These guys don't come around too often.

I think my comment about over drafting got misunderstood or I just didnt word it correctly.

Fair enough.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Can we NOW PLEASE STOP REFERENCING JERIMIAH as some GURU?

This is just so ridiculous and proves he doesn't have a clue what he is talking about. I always knew he was a few cans short of a six pack but this takes the cake.

CREDIBILITY = 0.00000

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...h-2019-nfl-mock-draft-30-drew-lock-to-packers

Jeremiah is one of a number of analysts whose assessments I respect because I believe he knows what he's looking at.

He has always said his prospect rankings are his opinions and his mocks are just his attempt to connect dots based on what he's hearing.

Drew Lock at #30 would be stupid and it won't happen. He was drawing a connection from Lock's top 30 visit to Green Bay and probably trying to drive attention.

That isn't going to stop me from liking his takes on prospects.

D

Deleted member 6794

Anotonio Brown is a HOF receiver so it's all relative. Tolerance levels apply accordingly.

Also, Nobody works harder at his craft then AB.

I agree that nobody works harder than Brown to make himself look like a fool ;)

I am certainly not going to dismiss a prospect because he was not asked to do something and play into this whole narrative that he can't. The least of my fears is Campbell not being able to run downfield past people.

The problem being that teams have to project if a prospect is able to do what they're looking for if he hasn't been asked to do that in college. They're on the safer side by selecting a player they have tape on.

With the offense being where it is at and needing a serious boost it is time to OVERDRAFT SPEED AND ATHLETICISM and I don't think getting Campbell in the 20's to even be over drafting there.

Overdrafting isn't a good idea no matter the situation.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The problem being that teams have to project if a prospect is able to do what they're looking for if he hasn't been asked to do that in college. They're on the safer side by selecting a player they have tape on.

Overdrafting isn't a good idea no matter the situation.

Not overdrafting, it's hitting the jackpot

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

He put 90 catches and 12 TD's ON TAPE and that's just his senior year alone while showing up in all the BIG GAMES in the BIG 10. He BLEW BY all these guys on Michigan that everyone wants. He also put on a SMOKE SHOW at the COMBINE to match. Then you throw in TEAM CAPTAIN with ZERO RED FLAGS and he is going in the 1st round.

He didn't run a "GO ROUTE" that much. WOOPIE DEW DAH. I have zero concern about Campbell running a GO ROUTE. He showed at the combine natural WR movements running those routes.

If the Packers can't figure this one out in a LaFleur Scheme then they have no business running a football operations crew.

This is the NO BRAINER OF NO BRAINER'S

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
It's not so much that he didn't run a lot of one route in particular, but that he ran almost no routes.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
It's not so much that he didn't run a lot of one route in particular, but that he ran almost no routes.

HE ISN'T GONNA HAVE A PROBLEM RUNNING ROUTES IN A LAFLUER OFFENSE from the SLOT! Can he get better? Yes, but any rookie receiver has to go through that. He can be schemed his rookie year to do several things though.

The one thing that I believe he will have to get better at and will take time for him to reach full potential is working off PRESS COVERAGE. I believe he will ultimately be able to be successful at that but will take some time.

This is why I have Deebo Samuel on the radar because he is much better at working off press coverage immediately but doesn't have the same ceiling Campbell has.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
HE ISN'T GONNA HAVE A PROBLEM RUNNING ROUTES IN A LAFLUER OFFENSE from the SLOT! Can he get better? Yes, but any rookie receiver has to go through that. He can be schemed his rookie year to do several things though.

The one thing that I believe he will have to get better at and will take time for him to reach full potential is working off PRESS COVERAGE. I believe he will ultimately be able to be successful at that but will take some time.

But you can't just announce that. It's ok for people to have questions about him doing something at the next level when he virtually never did it in college.

It's no different than taking Dillard's college offense into consideration, or the fact the Byron Murphy was never really asked to press.

Projection is part of the draft 100% of the time, but this is an extreme case. So they had better be careful... that would be my main point.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
But you can't just announce that. It's ok for people to have questions about him doing something at the next level when he virtually never did it in college.

It's no different than taking Dillard's college offense into consideration, or the fact the Byron Murphy was never really asked to press.

Projection is part of the draft 100% of the time, but this is an extreme case. So they had better be careful... that would be my main point.

This is why I have Deebo Samuel on the radar because he is much better at working off press coverage immediately but doesn't have the same high ceiling Campbell has.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
But you can't just announce that..

Why not? I have heard people talk about what a lock Hockenson is as a blocker in pros when there are reasons for concern considering strength and arm length transitioning to the blocking game in the NFL.

To me Campbell being able to turn on the jets on a GO ROUTE is easier to vision then Hockenson's red flags with some athletic limitations. This isn't to say Hockenson won't be a good blocker in the NFL but there are some red flags.

My main point is that there is risk with any pick but IMO Campbell is worth the risk all things considered and NEEDS of our offense.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
This is why I have Deebo Samuel on the radar because he is much better at working off press coverage immediately but doesn't have the same high ceiling Campbell has.

That's a fair assessment. I think Deebo Samuel and A.J. Brown are extremely similar players. But Samuel has been injury prone in college. He missed 20 college games before finally being healthy for all of 2018.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Why not? I have heard people talk about what a lock Hockenson is as a blocker in pros when there are reasons for concern considering strength and arm length transitioning to the blocking game in the NFL.

To me Campbell being able to turn on the jets on a GO ROUTE is easier to vision then Hockenson's red flags with some athletic limitations. This isn't to say Hockenson won't be a good blocker in the NFL but there are some red flags.

My main point is that there is risk with any pick but IMO Campbell is worth the risk all things considered and NEEDS of our offense.

Let me clarify-- you can announce that, but you can't expect anyone to be convinced merely by your announcement without further support.

In Hockenson's case, I can pull up an abundance of tape that supports my case that the arm length and bench press metric are non-issues. Because he's on tape doing the exact things he will be asked to do in the pros.

But to your last point-- that's great. You're on board with the risks and think the reward outweighs them. I'm pretty ambivalent toward Campbell. He's not one of my preferred targets and he isn't someone I'm particularly down on.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
That's a fair assessment. I think Deebo Samuel and A.J. Brown are extremely similar players. But Samuel has been injury prone in college. He missed 20 college games before finally being healthy for all of 2018.

Yes, you have to figure in injury history too which is another feather in the cap for Campbell.

I think AJ Brown will be better outside running intermediate routes. Not sure that's what we need right now with having Adams.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Yes, you have to figure in injury history too which is another feather in the cap for Campbell.

I think AJ Brown will be better outside running intermediate routes. Not sure that's what we need right now with having Adams.

If that's his best fit, you'd be right. However, I think A.J. Brown is far better in the slot than he is outside.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Let me clarify-- you can announce that, but you can't expect anyone to be convinced merely by your announcement without further support.

In Hockenson's case, I can pull up an abundance of tape that supports my case that the arm length and bench press metric are non-issues. Because he's on tape doing the exact things he will be asked to do in the pros.

But to your last point-- that's great. You're on board with the risks and think the reward outweighs them. I'm pretty ambivalent toward Campbell. He's not one of my preferred targets and he isn't someone I'm particularly down on.

If Campbell had college tape of running ALL THE ROUTES he would be a top 10 pick. However, If the Packer coaching staff gets a green light from the OSU coaching staff regarding his ability to run MORE ROUTES and have the ability to do what he doesn't have on tape he then should be the no.1 receiver on the Packers Board.

This is information I am not privy too obviously.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If Campbell had college tape of running ALL THE ROUTES he would be a top 10 pick. However, If the Packer coaching staff gets a green light from the OSU coaching staff regarding his ability to run MORE ROUTES and have the ability to do what he doesn't have on tape he then should be the no.1 receiver on the Packers Board.

This is information I am not privy too obviously.

And this is basically why I'm in the murky middle on Campbell. The FO will have access to resources, like the OSU staff and pro day visits, that will help them make a better projection of what Campbell is capable of at the next level. I don't have any of that information, so I'm just kind of ambivalent and generally am saying that teams need to exercise caution when making this big of a projection.