Panthers release LB Morgan and LG Wahle

RainX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mike Wahle - 6'6 304lbs

Jason Spitz - 6'4 313lbs
Daryn Colledge - 6'2' 299lbs
Junius Coston - 6'3 317lbs

Wahle, weight wise at least, is right in line with our other guys who split time at guard for us in '07. He is a couple inches taller than them though. As to what effect that might have on the ZBS, I couldn't exactly say if it makes that big of a difference. Clifton and Tauscher are both 6'4 and 6'5, so it's not like he's that much taller than any of our other O linemen.

If we could re-sign him, I'd welcome him back if the price was right. Even at 31 years old, he's got a few years left in the tank and was a big part of the very good O-Line Sherman threw together during his tenure. (one of the few things Sherm did right when he was here)

BryanAschenbrenner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just checked out a Panther forum. They are all really glad to see Wahle gone and are talking about how badly he played.

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wahle actually didn't like to play in Green Bay because of the weather, so I'm not really sure he would like to come back.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would rather date one of the girls in the "two girls, one cup" video than sign either of those two guys.

They are getting cut by the Panthers. The Panthers. I live in Carolina and due to proximity am forced to semi follow them.

You can sit there and say that Wahle was cut for salary cap reasons but youd be wrong. No matter the salary cap, you dont cut valuable players. If his contract is bad.. and he is producing, then the team would trim the fat around him. Instead they cut Wahle, he wasnt producing and hes not worth that contract. He is done as a starting guard in this league.

Dan Morgan has killed the Panthers for the past 10 years. Terrible contract and hes never on the field. Id be highly upset if we tried to acquire these two. Its going in the wrong direction that TT has set us in. its going for older unproductive players.

They got cut by the freakin Panthers for god sakes. 7-9 last year. why would we ever ever ever wanna pick up their scraps. stay away from cut Panther players. Stay young, stay productive... stay in the playoffs.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd pass on Wahle and Morgan, stay young in the draft, and this team will go far.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wahle yes
Morgan no way

DH - Does Wahle still have it?
he was awesome on the Packers, but that was 3 years ago. I haven't followed him on the Panthers so I don't know.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dhpackr said:
Wahle yes
Morgan no way

he was awesome on the Packers, but that was 3 years ago. I haven't followed him on the Panthers so I don't know.

1. he re-did his contract last year to stay on the Panthers, and he played T not G. When the packers played against carolina in 2007, Wahle was starting at T. I think he can still play, and definetly challenge colledge for starting LG or even RG. Plus he would add depth to the team. the guy has started at T & G in his career, and that is some valuable experience.

one poster wrote how he is from carolina , but does not really follow the team, but then said how mike is washed up. i think the poster kind of contradicted himself there. Carolina drafted a young talented G, and wanted him on the field, mike was moved to T and started there. Carolina was 7-9, but steve smith was hurt as well as there starting qb, the panthers really had no answer at qb. i am from WI and i know this!

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
Zombieslayer said:
dhpackr said:
Wahle yes
Morgan no way

1. he re-did his contract last year to stay on the Panthers, and he played T not G. When the packers played against carolina in 2007, Wahle was starting at T. I think he can still play, and definetly challenge colledge for starting LG or even RG. Plus he would add depth to the team. the guy has started at T & G in his career, and that is some valuable experience.

one poster wrote how he is from carolina , but does not really follow the team, but then said how mike is washed up. i think the poster kind of contradicted himself there. Carolina drafted a young talented G, and wanted him on the field, mike was moved to T and started there. Carolina was 7-9, but steve smith was hurt as well as there starting qb, the panthers really had no answer at qb. i am from WI and i know this!

I agree with some of what you said. Regardless of how Wahle played, they had no answer at quarterback and several other injuries. I, too, live in Carolina (went to two games) and there were MANY other problems then just the offensive line, who honestly didn't play THAT bad, all things considered.

I'm not going to say that Wahle played great, but I do believe Carolina has just decided to go in a younger direction, and has to have the cap space to do so. Kinda what happened in GB a few years back.

I say take a look at him, if he wants to compete for a spot for a cheap price, bring him in, if not, move on.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks DH and Dodd.

I think if the price is right. If our OL has a weakness, I think we all agree it's in the G position. I'd say bring him in and see what he has. If he's better than what we have now...

OP
OP
D

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Carolina is on their way to a re-building season.

Things are so bad that they're willing to deal Steve Smith. Come on guys, he's arguably the hardest-working WR in the NFL.

Believe it or not, Delhomme is getting up there in age.

They haven't found the right answer at tailback.

Mike Rucker wants to retire, but doesn't know.

Kris Jenkins is a very injury-prone DT, and he was once known as the best in the league.

John Fox is a lame duck coach.

It makes sense to go a different direction.

I look at it this way--look at when we signed Charles Woodson. Everyone thought he was over the hill. WRONG. I thought no matter how bad he was, he'd never be as bad as Carroll.

As much as a gamble as Pickett was, he'd never be as bad as Hunt.

We'll just have to se.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Carolina is on their way to a re-building season.

Things are so bad that they're willing to deal Steve Smith. Come on guys, he's arguably the hardest-working WR in the NFL.

Believe it or not, Delhomme is getting up there in age.

They haven't found the right answer at tailback.

Mike Rucker wants to retire, but doesn't know.

Kris Jenkins is a very injury-prone DT, and he was once known as the best in the league.

John Fox is a lame duck coach.

It makes sense to go a different direction.

I look at it this way--look at when we signed Charles Woodson. Everyone thought he was over the hill. WRONG. I thought no matter how bad he was, he'd never be as bad as Carroll.

As much as a gamble as Pickett was, he'd never be as bad as Hunt.

We'll just have to se.

That would be crazy. You can build an offensive gameplan around Steve Smith.

But back to Wahle, our OG position is what's holding us back from being the #1 O. We were #4 last year. With the emergence of Ryan Grant + arguably the 2nd best WR core in the NFL, plus an emerging TE in Lee and a top tier QB, we can be the top O in the NFL if we got that hole filled.

Is Wahle the guy? Does he still have what it takes?

I think I'm in agreement with you. Bring him in for a test drive. If he pans out, give him a one or two year offer. if it doesn't, shake hands and part ways.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
tromadz said:
porky88 said:
I think if Wahle was still as good as he once was he'd still be a Carolina Panther.

Dan Morgan might have to retire soon due to concussions.

I think the Wahle cut was due more to contract than game play. Carolina had 107 mil in signed players and some significant needs.

Since I never seen Wahle play this year or last year really, I wanted Carolina fans opinions on his play....So I searched out other forums and blogs..

There were people that wanted Wahle to stay, but the MAJORITY liked seeing him gone

they cut whale because he was old and not worth the money he was making, he was on the decline, obviosly this combined witht he cap figure made it hapen, but the cap figure alone didnot cause this

It appears the Panthers are finally taking a serious look at their veterans and are ready to make much needed moves this offseason.

The oft injured Dan Morgan, and oft beaten Mike Wahle were both released today, making room for more reliable players.

Things are looking up Panthers fans. Let the anticipation begin!

I like Wahle but he's definitely lost a step, is very expensive, and I'm not surprised

Wahle was beaten badly last year over and over. Time to get some new blood in there.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whale going to be a Seahawk soon.

irony.

after the countless debates on what a huge mistake letting Wahle go was, im surprised there isn't a website dedicated to his re-signing.

i would pass on Morgan simply for the Rosenhaus factor. (pretty sure he's still with him.)

with Wahle...contract considered, the dude has proven himself capable and it wasn't that long ago. looking/talking is free.

Reaction score

Staff online

Latest posts