Packers vs Panthers Studs n Duds

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe that MLF has done a very good job with the offense this year, working with a first year starting QB, as well as rookies and 2nd year Receivers and TE's. The offense has shown improvement since week 1. Why do I think he needs to give up play calling and hire a new OC to do it? I prefer the HC managing the game from the sidelines, which I believe MLF would excel more at, if not tethered to the offensive play calling. I do not think Adam Stenavich has proven himself to be a top OC in his 2 year stint as one. Solid line coach, but not happy with him as an OC. Whether it is MLF or Stenavich calling plays, I would prefer someone that is a bit less predictable and is sitting up in the press box with his staff, making changes on the fly.

As far as MLF and the Defense. You bet he is in charge of the defensive coaches and if he has had one major F-Up since becoming HC, it was hiring/not firing Barry. This is the season he needs to right that wrong, otherwise, I think if things don't improve in 2024, MLF should be canned.
MLF was brought in as an offense minded young coach. Since, IMO he has not improved on the other things a HC needs to do, if he isn't calling plays I am not sure there is any reason to keep him as the Head Coach. Playing Devil's advocate here. His time management has been questioned, you brought up the 2 most important coaching hires, DC & OC as guys you are not happy with and some have speculated he could be losing the locker room. If not for the nice job he has done with this young offense what does he bring to the table. I am not advocating for his firing, I realize his win/loss record is through the roof, just wondering what others think.

Reaction score
MLF was brought in as an offense minded young coach. Since, IMO he has not improved on the other things a HC needs to do, if he isn't calling plays I am not sure there is any reason to keep him as the Head Coach. Playing Devil's advocate here. His time management has been questioned, you brought up the 2 most important coaching hires, DC & OC as guys you are not happy with and some have speculated he could be losing the locker room. If not for the nice job he has done with this young offense what does he bring to the table. I am not advocating for his firing, I realize his win/loss record is through the roof, just wondering what others think.
For me I’m not sure where all these discipline problems are coming from. It has me wondering about GB cleaning house if it doesn’t get resolved. Lots of animosity between players n staff and I’m not suggesting it’s the players.

I’m not privy who said what. Between Campbell and Alexander it’s like an attitude cancer, but it’s not unprovoked. If I’m an owner I’m being very frank. I’d get the ship righted quick or major changes will be made top to bottom. None are exempt.
There. Now no person can say I was picking on them and all players and coaches have been warned.
Get it fixed

Last edited:

chemist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For me I’m not sure where all these discipline problems are coming from. It has me wondering about GB cleaning house if it doesn’t get resolved. Lots of animosity between players n staff and I’m not suggesting it’s the players.

I’m not privy who said what. Between Campbell and Alexander it’s like an attitude cancer, but it’s not unprovoked. If I’m an owner I’m being very frank. I’d get the ship righted quick or major changes will be made top to bottom. None are exempt.
There. Now no person can say I was picking on them and all players and coaches have been warned.
Get it fixed
After reading about the alexander coin toss incident last Sunday it got me to thinking. How many other "incidents" has MLF had to deal with this year. How many problems has he faced, maybe many of them behind the scenes that none of us know about.
A 53 man roster made up of mostly high school and college super stars who were probably the top dog where they came from, but once you get to the NFL you are now a small fish in a big pond. Quite an adjustment to the ego for those guys, and MLF has the responsibility of trying to help each of them make that adjustment. That can't be easy. He probably has headaches to deal with all the time. No different than the rest of us trying to deal with all the curve balls life can throw at us.
I know I've been one of many harping on MLF for this and that and I get it. We are passionate about our team, just like every other NFL fan, but I've decided to give the guy a break for now. I'm sure he's doing his best and it's Christmas , the time for miracles to happen.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Get it fixed
MM is asleep at the switch. Gute and MLF know that there's no accountability with coaches and front office. The double standard is breeding the attitude cancer and results from the lack of accountability. If the Packers had even a little accountability, Joe Barry would not be their DC.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
After reading about the alexander coin toss incident last Sunday it got me to thinking. How many other "incidents" has MLF had to deal with this year. How many problems has he faced, maybe many of them behind the scenes that none of us know about.
A 53 man roster made up of mostly high school and college super stars who were probably the top dog where they came from, but once you get to the NFL you are now a small fish in a big pond. Quite an adjustment to the ego for those guys, and MLF has the responsibility of trying to help each of them make that adjustment. That can't be easy. He probably has headaches to deal with all the time. No different than the rest of us trying to deal with all the curve balls life can throw at us.
I know I've been one of many harping on MLF for this and that and I get it. We are passionate about our team, just like every other NFL fan, but I've decided to give the guy a break for now. I'm sure he's doing his best and it's Christmas , the time for miracles to happen.
Personally, I want to see MLF coaching in GB next year, but he really needs to clear out the Defensive coaching offices. Too much talent, too many mental mistakes and miscommunications.

chemist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally, I want to see MLF coaching in GB next year, but he really needs to clear out the Defensive coaching offices. Too much talent, too many mental mistakes and miscommunications.
I have to say I feel a bit sorry for MLF. After doing some research, reading several articles from different news sources, different sports sources, interviews etc
I think he has a lot more on his plate than any of us realize.
No doubt MLF will have some tough decisions to make going forward but I feel there's more to it than DCs, Barry, etc.
I had the sense there are internal locker room situations taking place that are not conducive to a team being tight.
Maybe that partly explains their sudden awful performances after knocking off two DIV leaders.
Whatever is going on those issues will need to be addressed before this team can move forward.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I have to say I feel a bit sorry for MLF. After doing some research, reading several articles from different news sources, different sports sources, interviews etc
No doubt MLF will have some tough decisions to make going forward but I feel there's more to it than DCs, Barry, etc.
I had the sense there are internal locker room situations taking place that are not conducive to a team being tight.
Maybe that partly explains their sudden awful performances after knocking off two DIV leaders.
Whatever is going on those issues will need to be addressed before this team can move forward.
Totally agree. Some people definitely need to be sent packing.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But if Matt doesn't make any changes on that side of the ball this offseason I will calling for his head.

chemist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But if Matt doesn't make any changes on that side of the ball this offseason I will calling for his head.
LOL ....no doubt changes in DEF. are absolutely necessary but I would also like to see changes to things that are not as obvious, things that only people in the locker room are privy to.
Guys that are bad actors, guys that are causing a rift in the fabric of this team, guys that are disrespecting others, destroying team morale.
There is something going on internally that MLF has kept mostly to himself.
Until we get rid of the trouble makers and are left with guys who are willing to work togehter, support each other etc it's always going to be a continuous struggle.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Has an outsider, I can't be sure of what's going on either. I just sense that there's enough smoke that there's a fire somewhere.

Reaction score
I’m leaning like this also. Better to just scrap the D imo. I think we can keep 85% of our personnel and add some key pieces through draft/FA to accommodate that new Defense.

Imagine having
S Kamren Kinchens
DL Leonard Taylor
LB Payton Wilson
Being added… plus a substantial FA defender (call it under 10-$12Mil annual) that fits the new scheme.

I seriously think this Defense could be right back where we peaked (#9) or better very quickly.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I’m leaning like this also. Better to just scrap the D imo. I think we can keep 85% of our personnel and add some key pieces through draft/FA to accommodate that new Defense.
Keeping 85% isn't really scrapping the D, since that would mean getting rid of 1-2 starters, which happens through free agency almost every year. I don't know if we have the right personnel to switch to a 4-3 defense, but if we do, I would like to see it happen.

This defense has some quality players, most of whom will still be under contract in 2024. So if sticking to a 3-4 is what the majority of those players are better suited to, then you do that, but for gods sake, bring in a new DC and positional coaches. The Packers should have some cap space to possibly sign a starting quality FA Safety. It will be interesting to see what they do Campbell this offseason. His contract runs through the 2026 season and while he isn't overly pricey, his play seems to have dropped off in the last 2 years.