Packers to Play in Brazil

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just heard that the Packers first game of the season will be played against the Eagles in Brazil. If we have to play overseas I would rather it be the first game of the season than sometime in the middle.

Thoughts?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup, this is honestly about the best situation for the Packers. They'll be used to the heat from training camp in the sun and they can adjust their schedule to Brazil whenever is best. That business about no direct flights to Brazil makes no sense. They had to essentially do the same thing to get to London. I don't remember any direct Green Bay to London flights.

The only thing that bugs me is what was covered in the other thread, that this won't be nationally televised. I won't give them the satisfaction of getting my dollars, so I'll likely go to a sportsbar with a set of noise-cancelling headphones.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually the weather should be nice down there in early September. It's usually in the high 70s or so. Every time I've been there, the weather was perfect. It cools down fairly quickly when the sun sets, because of the Atlantic Ocean being cooler.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sao Paulo is 2 hours ahead of CDT. Direct flight is 11 hours, so hoping they head south on Wednesday to acclimate & get right for Friday afternoon/evening game. Think facing Philly early is better than mid-season. Hope this keeps GB off of the overseas schedule for'25.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sao Paulo is 2 hours ahead of CDT. Direct flight is 11 hours, so hoping they head south on Wednesday to acclimate & get right for Friday afternoon/evening game. Think facing Philly early is better than mid-season. Hope this keeps GB off of the overseas schedule for'25.
I would expect so. ****** me off that we have to go abroad again oniy 2 years after playing in London, but maybe the league is trying to even things out for all the many years we didn't have to go. We're lucky; many teams have had to play 4, 5, or even (for Miami), 6 times. Those fans really get screwed.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
London or Germany is one thing. Sao Paulo is another. Do not be surprised if both teams treat this like a preseason game. I do not agree with this at all due to the loss of income for the local businesses affected just so the NFL can line their pockets. Gambling is already eroding this league.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
London or Germany is one thing. Sao Paulo is another. Do not be surprised if both teams treat this like a preseason game. I do not agree with this at all due to the loss of income for the local businesses affected just so the NFL can line their pockets. Gambling is already eroding this league.
Totally agree. I get that it's very important to maximize revenue, always look for opportunities to crate new income streams, so that the league and the individual teams have the resources to put forth the best possible product for the fans and see to it that the players themselves are properly compensated and cared for. That's reasonable; that's the way to grow the game and make the experience better for the fan base. I appreciate that and respect them for it.

But Goodell and the owners have gone way beyond that; aside from the Packers, every team is owned by billionaires who see the game only as status symbols and a way to make themselves more wealthy. They don't give a **** about the fans; we're nothing but revenue sources. They don't give a **** about the players; they're just tools to use to make money. They don't give a **** about the history of the game, because it doesn't mean anything to today's bottom line, and they don't give a **** about the future of the game except to the extent that they want it to continue to generate revenue.

And I guess we have to be OK with that, because it's the only NFL there is - if we want to watch NFL football, we have no choice but to watch the NFL that they decide it's going to be, and they know it. If I weren't a Packer fan, I wouldn't be a fan of any one team. I'd still watch the games, because man, football rocks, but the only way I can be a fan of a single team is knowing that I'm not just being played by a billionaire to make himself wealthier.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Personally, I am more pissed that this is being broadcast on The Peacock Network. Will be radio for me. I do not intend on ever paying to watch Football games, unless they are carried commercial free.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GBkrzygrl

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup, this is honestly about the best situation for the Packers. They'll be used to the heat from training camp in the sun and they can adjust their schedule to Brazil whenever is best. That business about no direct flights to Brazil makes no sense. They had to essentially do the same thing to get to London. I don't remember any direct Green Bay to London flights.

The only thing that bugs me is what was covered in the other thread, that this won't be nationally televised. I won't give them the satisfaction of getting my dollars, so I'll likely go to a sportsbar with a set of noise-cancelling headphones.
I will not pay for online watching of the games either. Just p!$$e$ me off. However I was able watch the Packers games either from being in Wisconsin or living near Milwaukee.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually the weather should be nice down there in early September. It's usually in the high 70s or so. Every time I've been there, the weather was perfect. It cools down fairly quickly when the sun sets, because of the Atlantic Ocean being cooler.
Plus, it's a night game. Evening temperatures in Sao Paolo on September 6th each of the last 3 years was within a couple of degrees of 60 either way, and dewpoints in the mid-50s. It's almost certainly going to be warmer and more muggy in Green Bay that night than in Sao Paolo.

Heat will absolutely not be an issue.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well it's not affecting Green Bay businesses, because this is technically an Eagles home game.

However, expanding the fan base to other countries does help out the Packers and Green Bay. The last time that I took the Lambeau tour (5-ish years ago) there were two different guys from across the globe (one was from South America) that were there "to finally visit Lambeau Field." They both had their own stories for becoming fans, but you can expect more foreign fans to come and visit, stay in hotels, eat at local restaurants, and inject money into the local economy.

I suppose that we could get upset about flying further and creating a greater carbon footprint, or the dilution of talent if the league expands. I'm not going there yet.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Let's face the facts. The NFL, as well as The Green Bay Packers are businesses that are HIGHLY profitable. Their decisions center around 1 thing, MONEY. This isn't the NFL, The Eagles or The Packers saying "Hey, lets spread the love and good cheer to Brazil, those people really deserve it." These are businesses constantly figuring out ways to better their products, expand their reach and in the process make more money.

Nothing wrong with the principle of making money. I just get a kick out of how the NFL spins things into "we are doing it for the fan". :rolleyes:

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Personally, I am more pissed that this is being broadcast on The Peacock Network. Will be radio for me. I do not intend on ever paying to watch Football games, unless they are carried commercial free.
Take a ride up to Green Bay. It's going to be broadcast in the local market as always.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Take a ride up to Green Bay. It's going to be broadcast in the local market as always.
I can hit a local sports bar, but it wasn't really my point. I'm not paying to watch a football game broadcast, that also includes commercials. Personally, I think the NFL is test marketing pay per view with a few random games. Seeing how they do when folks have to buy a subscription to Amazon or Peacock to watch a game. If the NFL goes to PPV, I am out.

If it wasn't for the fact that I use Amazon a lot for my business and I am an Amazon Vine member, I would drop their Video service, now that they have gone to adding commercials to it.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just thought the game would be played in Rio. I'm afraid it's in São Paulo. Never been there. I'd imagine it's quite similar to Rio.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I just thought the game would be played in Rio. I'm afraid it's in São Paulo. Never been there. I'd imagine it's quite similar to Rio.
Rio is much more laid back, more of a tourist destination.

São Paulo is a more of a dense city, with a lot of businesses.

OP
OP
GBkrzygrl

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can hit a local sports bar, but it wasn't really my point. I'm not paying to watch a football game broadcast, that also includes commercials. Personally, I think the NFL is test marketing pay per view with a few random games. Seeing how they do when folks have to buy a subscription to Amazon or Peacock to watch a game. If the NFL goes to PPV, I am out.

If it wasn't for the fact that I use Amazon a lot for my business and I am an Amazon Vine member, I would drop their Video service, now that they have gone to adding commercials to it.
That is my fear. That the games will all end up on Pay for View. I'm with you. I'm not paying to watch a game on my tv. So if that's the way the go I'm gone as well. I don't think we will be the only ones.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
That is my fear. That the games will all end up on Pay for View. I'm with you. I'm not paying to watch a game on my tv. So if that's the way the go I'm gone as well. I don't think we will be the only ones.
Maybe I'm getting old, but even going to games isn't as fun as it once was. Most arenas and stadiums pump loud music in and it's almost impossible to even have a conversation with the people you go to the game with. Then there is the whole "Let's stand and watch the whole fricking game and make everyone behind us stand if they want to watch too." The last Bucks game I went to I got in the car, my ears were ringing and my voice was hoarse, not from yelling, but from trying to talk to the people I was with.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They have to be careful, or they'll lose their federal anititrust exemption. That'd be the death of the league; the gravy train would go straight off the tracks. The greedy bastards would finally be cutting their own throats.

We still keep Prime, but dumped the Firestick and switched to Roku. We were sick of Amazon's interface constantly trying to shoo us toward something that would make 35 or 40 cents for Amazon, and now that we're using Roku we don't feel like we're being hustled by grifters every time we spark up the TV. Even Prime is a lot more tolerable in Roku's interface.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just heard that the Packers first game of the season will be played against the Eagles in Brazil. If we have to play overseas I would rather it be the first game of the season than sometime in the middle.

Thoughts?
I agree. It is also helpful that it is in the same hemisphere with respect to time zones.

And that Green Bay is considered the road team.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Odd to hear that the color Green is banned from being worn in Corinthians Arena, the location of the Game between The Eagles and The Packers. Great move by the NFL, picking 2 out of the only 3 teams that wear Green NFL Jerseys, the other team being the Jets, to play in the game. Will the Pack be in all yellow? Maybe their dark blue throwback uniforms?

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Odd to hear that the color Green is banned from being worn in Corinthians Arena, the location of the Game between The Eagles and The Packers. Great move by the NFL, picking 2 out of the only 3 teams that wear Green NFL Jerseys, the other team being the Jets, to play in the game. Will the Pack be in all yellow? Maybe their dark blue throwback uniforms?

I just hope this is the most absolutely batshit crazy complication we run into with this game, because if it's possible for anything crazier to come up, I'd hate like hell to see what it is.

Even if the Eagles wear their black alternate jerseys (which is a pretty cool jersey), what about their helmets? Maybe they play without them?

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hope the dumba$$ NFL scheduler who decided on teams & location for this game is already searching for a new job. What an unnecessary sh!tshow. GB probably in gaudy gold/blue throwback jersey with Eagles in white?

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts