1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Packers sign free agent

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by ivo610, Mar 21, 2013.

1. slaughter25

slaughter25 Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +211 / 7 / -2
    We really care about our back ups back ups that play special teams here in GB. Good thing we dumped 12 mil over 3 years for a guy that will only see playing time if something bad happens >.<
  2. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +1,229 / 60 / -6
    Packer Fan Since:
    We'd have to conclude Jones is expected start and there are serious concerns about Bishop and Smith. I know I'd be concerned with those kinds of injuries. This deal is too rich for just a Plan B insurance policy.

On second thought, it could be both Plan B and Plan C...Jones can play inside and outside. Still, a lot of dough for a non-playmaking LB, especially in this buyers market.

Very conservative from a roster standpoint; aggressive from a $ standpoint.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Einstein McFly

Einstein McFly Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +139 / 8 / -1
    Packer Fan Since:
    He's their best linebacker in coverage, can play inside and outside and is a very good special teams player. A lot of teams would have been way worse off losing their #1 and #2 ILBs last year than we ended up being, and he's only 27. After one year as an ILB he seems to have more upside than Hawk does, so I don't mind him making more.

Honestly, the think I'm most excited about is seeing how Manning looks this year. He was supposed to be a diamond in the rough guy who came out too soon and if he's healthy, maybe he makes some of these guys obsolete.
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. texaspackerbacker

texaspackerbacker Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +57 / 12 / -7
    Just when I was beginning to come around to thinking positive about Thompson. What have you TT-ophiles got to say about this shameful waste of money?
  5. NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +568 / 31 / -20
    I agree. 3 years/$11.75M is a lot of money for a reserve. Jones is going to be on the field somewhere. He might start in place of Bishop/Smith or move outside as insurance for Perry.
  6. NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +568 / 31 / -20
    This also might be the start of the Packers cleaning house over the next one or two seasons. With Rodgers' contract predicted to eat up 15% - 20% of the salary cap, the Packers might be on their way to getting rid of players like AJ Hawk, Desmond Bishop and Tramon Williams and replacing them with Jones, a draft pick and Heyward or House.
  7. Einstein McFly

Einstein McFly Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +139 / 8 / -1
    Packer Fan Since:
    By the way people, this isn't the NBA. If they decided that Manning or Smith or Jones is better than Hawk, Hawk will be gone. 4mil a year for an ILB is starter money, so they may just be waiting to see how Smith/Manning /future draft picks develop and need someone to fill in while they do it. Also, Bishop hasn't exactly been sturdy and they just lost a core special teamer in Crabtree. Look at the big picture folks. This isn't that bizarre.
  8. slaughter25

slaughter25 Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +211 / 7 / -2
    Im not confused about the dollar amount and how that applies to a starting ILB. Im confused as to the thought that Brad Jones is a starting quality LB.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan USMC4EVER

Ratings Received:
    +1,139 / 72 / -13
    Packer Fan Since:
    You sir, are not alone on this one. I don't see giving him that much cash as a starter given his performance, they just don't match up. Maybe TT signed gave that deal after downing a 12 pack? Who knows, but this sh!t is confusing to me.
  10. J Mills

J Mills Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +12 / 1 / -1
    Packer Fan Since:
    d

WOW! I know he is versitile can play both ILB and OLB, but he is a backup and special teamer. How do you justify doing this deal and pass on Jenkins or Canty for 3 years and $8 million. This makes no sense to me.
  11. Gopackgo520

Gopackgo520 Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +7 / 3 / -0
    Packer Fan Since:
    I'm sensing a bit of sarcasm here... Brad Jones is average at best. Look at the tape on him..
  12. J Mills

J Mills Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +12 / 1 / -1
    Packer Fan Since:
    More genuine shock than sarcasm
  13. adambr2

adambr2 Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +727 / 15 / -3
    Packer Fan Since:
    Yeah, I'm normally a defender of TT, but this is baffling to me.

We are now paying 3 ILB's starter money. We already have a number of quality backups. Of all the ways in which we are frugal, I can't believe he did this.

Canty signed for 3/$8M, so did Jenkins. Now we sign Jones for 3/$12. I just don't understand it.
  14. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +3,428 / 81 / -25
    Well 9 teams were interested in him, with 4 entering contract talks with him. Obviously numerous front offices felt he is starter material
  15. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +1,377 / 86 / -17
    Packer Fan Since:
    Saying he's the best linebacker in coverage doesn't pass the eye test. Compared to who? Well maybe Hawk. :rolleyes: He absolutely isn't good in coverage. He gave up 6 1/2 plays of 20 yards or more.
  16. slaughter25

slaughter25 Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +211 / 7 / -2
    9 teams were interested enough that Jones walked right on back to GB for the big fat paycheck none of these 9 others teams were willing to offer.

If we can also agree that the contract numbers Jones signed for are alike those of a starting ILB. Can we not then also say that they were not thinking he was of starting caliber?
  17. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +3,428 / 81 / -25
    TT let him set the market and made him a fair market offer for a desirable player.

Sorry he isn't a guy at the tail end of his career with a famous name.

A much better signing than walden
  18. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +1,377 / 86 / -17
    Packer Fan Since:
    Up until the 2012 injury Bishop has been a durable player for the Packers.
  19. slaughter25

slaughter25 Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +211 / 7 / -2
    My point exactly, a fair market value for a back up LB in FA is toooo damn high. Usually why the packers dont play a big part in FA. I just dont see the rush to sign him today at that price. If you do, that's fine. To each their own.

Clearly you have had a long off season to throw me into "that" crowd just because I don't think Brad Jones is worth 4 mil a year. If I have ever made a post that suggested anything to really make me one of those guys I sincerely apologize because those guys are annoying as hell.

Lastly, I agree its a better signing than Walden the only Packers LB worse than Brad Jones. Brad Jones brings some versatility and I would imagine that paired with his special teams contributions (ala Jarret Bush) snagged him this contract. Hopefully he makes his money on special teams and not on D that's all I'm saying.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +1,229 / 60 / -6
    Packer Fan Since:
    Hawk will not be released this season. To ask a guy to take a pay cut, then turn around and cut him in training camp or preseason, would be bad faith. Such a move would have denied him his best opportunity to catch on somewhere else. One could criticize TT for a lot of things, but shabby dealings is not one of them.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  21. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +3,428 / 81 / -25
    You really think hawk is better than jones?
  22. slaughter25

slaughter25 Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +211 / 7 / -2
    Yes.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  23. rodell330

rodell330 Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +796 / 168 / -43
    Packer Fan Since:

You gotta be kidding me!!!:poop: some of you guy's killed me for saying bring in Freeney for 3 yr's at 12 mil lol. This is exactly why i think the way i do about TT. Terrible sigining. Jones is worth about 1 mil a yr at best. I'd rather him not sign anybody of he's going to just blow money on backup ability. TT is an idiot for this signing im sorry.
  24. slaughter25

slaughter25 Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +211 / 7 / -2

This is one of THOSE guys
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. adambr2

adambr2 Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +727 / 15 / -3
    Packer Fan Since:
    Rodell, give it up on the Freeney thing, man. It has nothing to do with this. Freeney is not coming here nor would that be a good deal in substitute as mentioned a million times before. I don't even know why you ever even brought him up.
    • Winner Winner x 1