2023 Free Agents around the league, news and signings.

Reaction score
1. I do not think CB is a position of need. IMO.
2. IMO. Currently the Pack is closer to receiving 2 comp picks than they are to 4.
Where’s the offset for the other 2 players?
(RED Challenge flag) :ninja:m

(The fans are packing up and leaving because the Booth review is Painfully slow… can we get a review if this flag thrown on me or are we at the snack bar or what?) :whistling:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Yeah. Part of what I like is it pushes any need down at CB, which allows us to really key at other positions.
We have both Quay and Devondre locked up together for at least 4 seasons, which is amazing. Our need at LB is lower. So CB LB is low priority.
A Casey signing also makes sense because it doesn’t pull from future compensatory selections.
Lazard ($11M)
Jarren Reed ($4.5M)
Dean Lowry (4.25Mil) and
Tonyan (2.65M)
That’s very likely 4 future comp picks coming our way. There’s a 50/50 chance we’d get a 2024 draft pick for Rodgers. It starts bringing next draft into focus
(purely hypothetical at 7-10)

#9 1st
#41 2nd
#72 3rd
#88 (Rodgers trade est.)
#113 4th
#144 5th
#169 (Lazard comp)
#186 6th
#211 (Reed comp)
#212 (Lowry comp)
#252 (Tonyan Comp)
Good thinking, you read my mind. ;) Although I doubt we end up getting a comp pick for Tonyan.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Comp picks are really hard to figure out at this point, because none of those players we lost are playing just yet. The formula is pretty complicated, but does involve looking at snaps each one takes in 2023. I will have to find it, but the last time I read what was being "predicted" for 2024 comp picks, Tonyan was pretty far outside of the 32 players that will qualify their team for a comp pick. Lowery is still "in the right range", but that could change. As Schultz pointed out, I think 2 are a sure thing (if we don't offset them between now and the draft), but 3 are possible. Amos is a wildcard, since he still is unsigned.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
1. I do not think CB is a position of need. IMO.
Starting position of need? No...depth? Yes. I wouldn't sign Heyward for much, but I do believe he would provide quality snaps, as well as be a quality veteran in the locker room. If the Packers would sign him, I don't see the need to draft any CB's, unless they see a guy with real potential still there in the 5th or later.

Reaction score
Sure. I didn’t imply CB need as in priority. All positions are in some degree of constant flux. If we don’t need one this year, possibly next etc. So often we are looking for next years replacement now.

Last edited:

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where’s the offset for the other 2 players?
(RED Challenge flag) :ninja:m

(The fans are packing up and leaving because the Booth review is Painfully slow… can we get a review if this flag thrown on me or are we at the snack bar or what?) :whistling:
Sorry life sometimes takes priority over this board. I believe Tonyan has little chance of gaining a comp pick. Therefore if the over/under was set at 3 based on your post you would bet the over. Even though I think 3 is correct I would bet the under as IMO it is more likely Reed or Lowry fall out of the top 32 than it is Tonyan gets into the top 32.

D

Deleted member 6794

Well, except in the most recent QB trade endeavor.

True, but I highly doubt teams would be hesitant to give up two first rounders for a 26-year old quarterback if they deemed him to be an elite one.

IMO. Currently the Pack is closer to receiving 2 comp picks than they are to 4.

According to Over The Cap (which has been pretty accurate on predicting compensatory picks) the Packers are currently slated to receive four picks for the 2024 draft. They have listed the team to get a fifth rounder for Lazard, two sixth rounders for Reed and Lowry and another seventh rounder for Tonyan.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Packers want to kick the tires on a familiar name and they could get him back in GB for a reasonable price, Casey is on the FA market.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Released by the Falcons...That's not a good sign.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Released by the Falcons...That's not a good sign.
I think mainly for cap reasons and that he didn't pass his physical. Like I said, I wouldn't break the bank on him, but at the right price and if he is on the mend, I'd think about signing him.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True, but I highly doubt teams would be hesitant to give up two first rounders for a 26-year old quarterback if they deemed him to be an elite one.

According to Over The Cap (which has been pretty accurate on predicting compensatory picks) the Packers are currently slated to receive four picks for the 2024 draft. They have listed the team to get a fifth rounder for Lazard, two sixth rounders for Reed and Lowry and another seventh rounder for Tonyan.
I hold to my opinion. I am pretty sure they received 1 less comp pick this draft than the experts predicted. Time will tell.

Reaction score
I hold to my opinion. I am pretty sure they received 1 less comp pick this draft than the experts predicted. Time will tell.
Last season (2022) the lowest salary in the compensatory equation was Sully at $1.75M. Chandon garnered a 7th round Compensatory selection. Yet you and others are trying to assure us that Tonyan ($2.65Mil) won’t get a look at a comp pick? That means you’re telling us that ~$3M area compensation is the latest 7th rounder. Could it happen? Sure. Could I trip and knock myself out today? Sure.

On top of that we haven’t even discussed Amos. If he doesn’t get resigned he’ll be well above Tonyan $$ somewhere and he’ll very likely start. If he knocked Tonyan out from the bottom we still very likely get 4 minimum and a good shot at 5 compensatory selections if there are no comparable offsets taken by us in FA (I can already see this used to backslide)

Last edited:

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last season (2022) the lowest salary in the compensatory equation was Sully at $1.75M. Chandon garnered a 7th round Compensatory selection. Yet you and others are trying to assure us that Tonyan ($2.65Mil) won’t get a look at a comp pick? That means you’re telling us that ~$3M area compensation is the latest 7th rounder. Could it happen? Sure. Could I trip and knock myself out today? Sure.

On top of that we haven’t even discussed Amos. If he doesn’t get resigned he’ll be well above Tonyan $$ somewhere and he’ll very likely start. If he knocked Tonyan out from the bottom we still very likely get 4 minimum and a good shot at 5 compensatory selections if there are no comparable offsets taken by us in FA (I can already see this used to backslide)
Did they change the 4 maximum per team rule?

Reaction score
No I think 4 max is correct my bad.
It won’t matter unless Amos gets traded either way (not happened yet) although it would likely increase the Round# benefit with him by replacing Tonyan (likely Lowest comp qualifier) on the faithfully departed list and knocking him off the cancellation chart, but for a higher graded comp

Last edited:

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I would stay away from stairs today. We don't want you to trip from too high up.

D

Deleted member 6794

Actually I made a mistake taking a look at Over The Cap's prediction for the 2024 draft. At this point it seems they expect the Packers to receive only three next year anyway.

As I have mentioned before, it's close to impossible to accurately predict compensatory picks being awarded, especially with coaches and front office personnel factoring into those decisions now. But OTC has been the most accurate site I have been able to find so far.

According to OTC there are currently 32 players who received more money than Tonyan factoring into the formula for compensatory picks. Therefore there's a decent chance that the Packers losing Tonyan won't result in them receiving one as well.

Actually, players that are signed after May 1 this year won't have an impact on compensatory picks anymore. I don't expect Amos to find a new team before that deadline.

There's a maximum of four compensatory picks a team might be awarded based on losing players.

It's possible for teams to receive more than four compensatory picks if they lost coaches or front office personnel. That's why the Niners received seven in this year's draft.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is 2023 but we must look in retrospect to how we felt going into the 2008 season. Favre was traded. We just came off a 14-3 season that ended in heartbreak. Believing Aaron Rodgers would be another HOFer was not in our thought process then. How good or bad would our team be? What lay ahead we did not know. As it turned out there was one SB championship and many, many winning seasons which sadly fell short. Regardless of the future of Jordan Love or any other Packer QB we can only hope for those of us that our still around that more than one more SB win is in the deck for the next 15 sessons. Savor each game.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m firmly thinking DJ Chark is the free agent to talk to of the WRs

Also like the low risk of a Irv Smith TE signing.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Sounds like the Jets are going to be keeping Corey Davis, at least for now. I can hardly blame them, they just signed Rodgers and Davis has had nothing but crap QB's in the NFL, might be worth seeing how AR and him connect and go from there.

If Davis and Wilson can blossom with Rodgers, that just made the Jets offense that much better.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds like the Jets are going to be keeping Corey Davis, at least for now. I can hardly blame them, they just signed Rodgers and Davis has had nothing but crap QB's in the NFL, might be worth seeing how AR and him connect and go from there.

If Davis and Wilson can blossom with Rodgers, that just made the Jets offense that much better.

I mean seriously folks that WR room with Wilson / Davis / Lazard / Hardman just four deep is SOLID.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I mean seriously folks that WR room with Wilson / Davis / Lazard / Hardman just four deep is SOLID.
Agreed.

Rodgers hasn't seen that type of depth at WR in quite awhile. Now it will be interesting to watch how long it takes them all to build chemistry. Lazard could be the odd man out of the starting rotation, if Davis lives up to his potential and Hardman plays well in the slot. Obviously, Lazard's relationship with Rodgers and his ability to block, should get him plenty of opportunities.

Latest posts