Packers Sign Billy Turner, OL

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Biggest reason I said bye bye Bulaga is because I’m not sure where all of this money is coming from. Doesn’t someone need to be cut to accommodate for all of this? Besides Perry of course.

Tramon will be cut for sure....and Crosby is probably nervous honestly.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Almost everyone expected to sign an edge and a safety today.

And people told you that yesterday. You just wanted to ***** like a child

So everyone expected to pay an edge guy that's never even been to the Pro Bowl 16 per?

Gotcha. ;)

H

HardRightEdge

I hit agree since on its face that much seems to be very likely. After all the dust settles and all the contract details become known... I will be very interested in your take. With my limited cap knowledge I am suspecting that the Packers just went into win now mode... and that They may be in cap hell in about 3 years.
You can be sure I'll run those numbers when they are confirmed by which I mean they show up at the usual sites and after the roster bonus period clears. That could be a week or so. We'll see what 2020 looks like in the bargain.

I don't see this as necessarily "win now" mode. Gutekunst did what I've been table-pounding for months: Go young or go home. We'll just have to wait and see how these guys perform, but from a blueprint standpoint I give these signings an A grade.

Z. Smith: 26 years old, 4 years experience
P. Smith: 26 years old, 4 years experience
Amos: 25 years old, 4 years experience
Turner: 27 years old, 5 years experience

With exception of Turner, these guys have missed few or no games. In Turner's case, I don't know how many of those missed games might have been a coach's inactive decision. In any case, he had a season ending broken hand in 2017, but played all 16 last year.

If these players do in fact pan out and you still don't win, there are prime years left in the window of opportunity. Being able to stack good drafts is still a necessity to keep that window open.

H

HardRightEdge

I hope both our guards are new on week 1. There are some good options at 30 and 44 in the draft to get a good starter. And who knows about McCrey and/or Patrick.
I would not rule out Spriggs moving to OG as suggested some time back. He looked like he put on a lot of weight last season and kept it on. He was talking about it in preseason, saying he was up to 320 lbs. He certainly had the frame to add good weight. His draft profile said "athletic" which fits with an outside zone blocking scheme.

His liabilities as an OT in pass blocking are mitigated at OG. Whether you want to call it balance issues, slow feet, or slow mental processing, he has difficulties adjusting to the various paths to the QB that better edge rushers can take. In the close quarters at OG, the amount of lateral territority that needs to be defended is sharply dimished. We'll see.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup, Hock at 12 and Campbell at 30.;)
While it would be great...the greater need in imho is OT. And there probably won't be any of the really good ones at 30. No way can we depend on Bulaga (though we should keep him). And Spriggs is a lost cause. Then there is still a good possibility that a very good tight end is at 30. I am willing to roll with our receivers. Though a bonafide slot would be helpful.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While it would be great...the greater need in imho is OT. And there probably won't be any of the really good ones at 30. No way can we depend on Bulaga (though we should keep him). And Spriggs is a lost cause. Then there is still a good possibility that a very good tight end is at 30. I am willing to roll with our receivers. Though a bonafide slot would be helpful.

I know, I was just taking a shot at Brandon knowing how much he loves Campbell and hates Hock at #12.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
You have a unique ability to read things that don't exist.

I am not mad about the signings at all. There are a couple guys I like better but they wanted to go younger so well see. It could be great it could be a disaster but with that said they ball'd up and got rid of Perry and trying to do something better.

Can't fault them for that.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Some specifics on Billy Turner's four-year, $28 million deal with the Packers ... Signing bonus: $9 million 2019: $1.35M base salary, $300K in per-game roster bonuses, $350K workout bonus. 2020: $1.75M base, $3M roster bonus due third day of league year, $300K in per-game roster bonuses, $350K workout bonus. 2021: $4.15M base, $1M roster bonus due third day of league year, $300K in per-game roster bonuses, $350K workout bonus. 2022: $5.2M base, $300K in per-game roster bonuses, $350K workout bonus. So it's basically a two-year, $16.35 million deal with a big escalator in Years 3 and 4.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've never seen the guy play but what I've heard from Bronco fans it seems like they are laughing at this.

Reaction score
The most valuable position by far is QB. The next most valuable position is the QB On his feet rather than his back. I’d like to see us continue this effort, hitting one first or second day OL, then another day 3 draft.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bakh - Taylor - Linsley - Turner - Bulaga

That's a good OL. Need a replacement for Bulaga in the draft, and competition for Taylor. Bell and McCray were quite bad last year, so this helps a lot

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
surely he's the right guard.
Yes, he is... and don't call me Shirley. ;) My guess is he starts at RG next to Bulaga and if/when Bulaga goes down Turner slides out to RT. He's a "dancing bear" with light feet... will take over on the edge eventually.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Biggest reason I said bye bye Bulaga is because I’m not sure where all of this money is coming from. Doesn’t someone need to be cut to accommodate for all of this? Besides Perry of course.
My guess is AFTER Gute nabs a young, fast TE early in the draft (Hock, Fant, or Smith?) that Graham gets cut. IF we miss-out on these top guys Graham stays while we develop Warring with Tramon Williams gone.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
My guess is AFTER Gute nabs a young, fast TE early in the draft (Hock, Fant, or Smith?) that Graham gets cut. IF we miss-out on these top guys Graham stays while we develop Warring with Tramon Williams gone.

Nah, mine as well finsih the D out at 12 with D. White now.

Then we got tons of picks to load up the O.

Packer96

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After today, take offense with our early picks, HOCK, and defense on day 2 picks.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Nah, mine as well finsih the D out at 12 with D. White now.

Then we got tons of picks to load up the O.

The clown who has spent a month going nuts on anyone who suggested the Packers take an off-ball linebacker (INSANE) is now saying that the Packers should draft him.

Are you trying to be a joke at this point?

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'm conflicted on the Turner signing.

He's versatile and was OK last season. Hear tell, he's a fit with the scheme, and certainly the staff will want guys who can smooth the transition to this offense.

Interior OL was and is a need. All that said, it seems odd that they paid up for him.

In terms of avg. annual salary, he's tied for 20th among guards. Now obviously you have to factor that his deal is brand new (under a higher cap than virtually all other existing contracts), that many starting guards are still on rookie deals, and that he offers some tackle versatility.

However, even with all of that said, it seems like a lot to pay a guy who has basically been a backup.

The thing I like the least about it is how backloaded it is. The Packers really can't get out of it until 2022, and even then it would accrue over 2M in dead cap space.

So if they got him wrong, they're stuck with him for a while.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
The clown who has spent a month going nuts on anyone who suggested the Packers take an off-ball linebacker (INSANE) is now saying that the Packers should draft him.

Are you trying to be a joke at this point?

No, we can't stop now. We gotta keep the PIPE DREAM CHAMPIONSHIP DEFENSE going.

Add White. He should be the final piece after they GOT THERE GUY's and spent the mother load. After obtaining White there should be absolutely ZERO EXCUSE this defense isnt top 5 with how good you and some others making all these guys.

Lets Do IT!. I wanna see it. Make me a believer.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
No, we can't stop now. We gotta keep the PIPE DREAM CHAMPIONSHIP DEFENSE going.

Add White. He should be the final piece after they GOT THERE GUY's and spent the mother load. After obtaining White there should be absolutely ZERO EXCUSE this defense isnt top 5 with how good you and some others making all these guys.

Lets Do IT!. I wanna see it. Make me a believer.

So then the answer is yes. Got it.