Packers Sign Billy Turner, OL

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Hmmmm. I know we need OL help, but I'm not sure Billy Turner is the answer. Spriggs has a higher PFF grad, 64 to 62. Dont really know what to think about this move.

Brandon Thorn, who I really like on OL analysis, said that Turner excels in blocking the OZ. Which probably explains the move. I'm guessing Petals wants players who can help him install his system.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed, at that price the plan has to be he is starting somewhere and honestly in a year or two this could be one of the most pivotal signings of this day really.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brandon Thorn, who I really like on OL analysis, said that Turner excels in blocking the OZ. Which probably explains the move. I'm guessing Petals wants players who can help him install his system.
I was thinking he is a guard. Seems like the Packers must have something in mind.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I was thinking he is a guard. Seems like the Packers must have something in mind.

He's being paid like an interior OL and has done his best work there. I would say he's either the new RG to sew up that issue, or Taylor is on his way out.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know Taylor wasn't that good last year, apparently played injured, but If they replace him they save a little, but now we need 2 guards to start. I think he's likely the new right guard

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I called up Gute and told him we need a break. I'm looking to put my feet up and process for a little while.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I know Taylor wasn't that good last year, apparently played injured, but If they replace him they save a little, but now we need 2 guards to start. I think he's likely the new right guard

Agreed.....Packers needed depth on the OL, this accomplishes that by starting Turner at RG and moving everyone back one slot. Packers may go after Bulaga's replacement high in the draft now, but I doubt they cut Bulaga until they are 100% sure they have found that new RT.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I called up Gute and told him we need a break. I'm looking to put my feet up and process for a little while.

Packers have just totally dominated the Free Agent news this morning, ESPN should have camped out at 1265 Lombardi Ave. last night. They could have used Brandon's tent after he declared the season lost and abandoned it.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Likely means see-ya-later for Byron Bell, and perhaps the end of the storied Cole Madison era in Green Bay.....

H

HardRightEdge

4/28 is the first reported figures for Turner. You'd think he's slotted as a starter at that price.
Of course he is. As a side note, I see where the reported numbers for Turner match what the Bears paid Bobbie Massie, a guy I thought the Packers might be interested in but who signed weeks ago as the guy the Bears prioritized over Amos and Callahan.
I wonder if Lane Taylor will be a surprise cut? He was OK last year, but it's possible that he will be considered a non fit in the OZ.
I doubt it but we'll know pretty soon if that decision has already been made with a $750,000 roster bonus coming up in a couple of days. A Taylor cut leaves a guard hole, the ever-present Bulaga injury risk and an unimpressive collection of depth players.

One thing's for sure. If the numbers being reported for these 4 signees are close to right, and we make the necessary cap subtractions for the draft class, etc., I would expect more pre-roster bonus cuts than just Perry.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course he is. As a side note, I see where the reported numbers for Turner match what the Bears paid Bobbie Massie, a guy I thought the Packers might be interested in but who signed weeks ago as the guy the Bears prioritized over Amos and Callahan.

I doubt it but we'll know pretty soon if that decision has already been made with a $750,000 roster bonus coming up in a couple of days. A Taylor cut leaves a guard hole, the ever-present Bulaga injury risk and an unimpressive collection of depth players.

One thing's for sure. If the numbers being reported for these 4 signees are close to right, and we make the necessary cap subtractions for the draft class, etc., I would expect more pre-roster bonus cuts than just Perry.
I hit agree since on its face that much seems to be very likely. After all the dust settles and all the contract details become known... I will be very interested in your take. With my limited cap knowledge I am suspecting that the Packers just went into win now mode... and that They may be in cap hell in about 3 years.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's being paid like an interior OL and has done his best work there. I would say he's either the new RG to sew up that issue, or Taylor is on his way out.
I hope both our guards are new on week 1. There are some good options at 30 and 44 in the draft to get a good starter. And who knows about McCrey and/or Patrick.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Biggest reason I said bye bye Bulaga is because I’m not sure where all of this money is coming from. Doesn’t someone need to be cut to accommodate for all of this? Besides Perry of course.