Packers remain only team not to play in London

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
So no London game. These are the opponents for next year for those that aren't aware or who haven't looked it up:

Home:
Bears
Lions
Vikings
Panthers
Broncos
Raiders
Eagles
Redskins

Away:
Bears
Lions
Vikings
Cowboys
Chiefs
Chargers
Giants
49ers

Playing a 3rd place schedule (49ers, Panthers), along with the NFC East and the AFC West.

It's obviously too early to draw conclusions about the strength of opponent for 2019, but on the surface, it appears to be a fairly easy schedule at home, while having some tough road tests in two of the best teams of the AFC this year (Chiefs, Chargers), along with a 49ers team that should have Garoppolo back.

The part I love about the schedule is playing the Cowboys at JerryWorld. I just love watching the Packers kick their ***** in their own building :sneaky:

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So no London game. These are the opponents for next year for those that aren't aware or who haven't looked it up:

Away:
Bears
Lions
Vikings
Cowboys
Chiefs
Chargers
Giants
49ers

The part I love about the schedule is playing the Cowboys at JerryWorld. I just love watching the Packers kick their ***** in their own building :sneaky:
Prob the hardest game we will have there. I am not counting the one with Flynn under center.

Tbf, about 6 games on the away schedule look very much 'losable' at this point

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Then how about a benefit for the fans. Pack up the whole thing kit and caboodle and move it all overseas and stay there. We'll do fine with college, high school, and Pop Warner until somebody comes up with another league.

What it sounds like to me Cap, is just another way to screw the fans because there's another nickel rolling around loose in the corner.

Actually, while I'm living in Europe I'm not in favor of the NFL playing games in London or even thinking about moving a team there.

But, as the league has decided to play games in the UK I don't understand the Packers feeling that special refusing to participate in one of them. Especially Murphy denying that to be the case makes me mad.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I find it more annoying that some of the fans on here think us fans in Europe are lesser fans than you because we live in Europe. There are fans out there who have never set foot in Lambeau. I have, and I'm sure there are many other European fans who have.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I find it more annoying that some of the fans on here think us fans in Europe are lesser fans than you because we live in Europe. There are fans out there who have never set foot in Lambeau. I have, and I'm sure there are many other European fans who have.

I've been to Lambeau on several occasions as well although in my case that might not make a decent case for European fans as the Packers have lost every single game I've attended so far :sneaky:

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bill, my beef isn't at all with Europeans or Europe. It's with the NFL and their eagerness to stick it to the very people who made them rich every chance they get.
Also, I don't at all think oi fans from Europe as lesser fans. I personally know a few and they really taken to the game.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been to Lambeau on several occasions as well although in my case that might not make a decent case for European fans as the Packers have lost every single game I've attended so far :sneaky:
you will sit in a bar across the street from now on while the game is on

I

Bill, my beef isn't at all with Europeans or Europe. It's with the NFL and their eagerness to stick it to the very people who made them rich every chance they get.
Also, I don't at all think oi fans from Europe as lesser fans. I personally know a few and they really taken to the game.

My point is DNA, and I don't include everybody in this, I have invested enough hard earned cash of my own on the team. My house is filled with memorabila, clothing, and even spent a fair bit of cash on a Packer tattoo on my forearm. I invest in the NFL game pass uk every year, and in the U.K. we get unfairly treated because if the game is on SKY it gets blacked out. I've been amused over the years by members on here who have never even seen the skies over Lambeau, never mind see a Packer game live, and yet they will object to the very thought of the Packers playing in London. I get the money situation and impact on Green Bay, but they are no more fans of the Packers than we are. THAT is my point.

Last edited by a moderator:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The NFL announced the London games for the 2019 season and the Packers won't play in the UK once again. With the Panthers and Texans coming to Europe next season Green Bay remains the only team in the league not having played overseas.

While I fully understand that most American fans aren't in favor of it and I would never advocate for the Packers to give up a home game at Lambeau there's reason for European fans like myself to be disappointed about it.

Especially as when connecting the dots it seems Murphy blocked the team from playing in London in '19 although publicly expressing that he would be fine with it.

Let me explain why I get that impression. The Chargers were one of four teams announced to host a game in London in December with them being the only team hosting the Packers next season.

Yet the Chargers aren't going to play in Britain next year but will play a home game against their divisional rival Chiefs in Mexico City.

I'm sorry but I have a hard time believing the Chargers preferred to give up a home game against their rivals who nearly made it to the Super Bowl instead of playing the Packers at London.

That's a pretty tenuous connection of the dots WIMM.

dot #1 Chargers host a game outside the US in 2019
dot #2 Chargers host the Packers in 2019
dot #3 Packers haven't played in London
dot #4 Chargers don't host a game in London
dot #5 Chargers host a game in Mexico City

dots connected Mark Murphy blocked the Packers from playing in London.

I've connected the dots too and this is what I came up with

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why would you think our attitude has anything to do with you? I live an hour from Green Bay and have been a Packer fan my entire life. I simply do not want the Packers to do anything that is not in the best interest of the Green Bay Packers. I have personally flown to Europe several times... it takes a lot out of you physically and I have to believe it is not what is best for the players from a competitive standpoint. While I think it’s great that the Packers have fans all around the world... For me at least, the fans are not my concern. Many seem to think that the Packers have to justify a reason not to go... I look at it from the opposite standpoint... why should they want to? Just because most of the other teams have done it doesn’t seem like much of a reason to me... and the few reasons I have heard don’t seem to outweigh the possible negatives.

I

Why would you think our attitude has anything to do with you? I live an hour from Green Bay and have been a Packer fan my entire life. I simply do not want the Packers to do anything that is not in the best interest of the Green Bay Packers. I have personally flown to Europe several times... it takes a lot out of you physically and I have to believe it is not what is best for the players from a competitive standpoint. While I think it’s great that the Packers have fans all around the world... For me at least, the fans are not my concern. Many seem to think that the Packers have to justify a reason not to go... I look at it from the opposite standpoint... why should they want to? Just because most of the other teams have done it doesn’t seem like much of a reason to me... and the few reasons I have heard don’t seem to outweigh the possible negatives.

If you read my comment, I SAID there are some who have never seen the skies over Lambeau, never even seen a game who object to the team travelling over to Europe. I understand all of your objections although I disagree with you over the jet lag argument entirely. As regards the justification argument, what makes the Packers any different to any other organisation in the NFL ? and please don't give me the "owned by the fans" argument please.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

That's a pretty tenuous connection of the dots WIMM.

dot #1 Chargers host a game outside the US in 2019
dot #2 Chargers host the Packers in 2019
dot #3 Packers haven't played in London
dot #4 Chargers don't host a game in London
dot #5 Chargers host a game in Mexico City

dots connected Mark Murphy blocked the Packers from playing in London.

You ignored that in December the NFL announced the Chargers will play a home game in London next season. In addition the league indicated that it was interested in having the six teams that hadn't been to the UK to have a game played there before announcing the 2018 games. Five of those clubs either have participated in a London game or are scheduled to in '19.

With the Chargers obviously not having an issue giving up a home game it's pretty obvious to me the Packers were the one not interested in it.

Just because most of the other teams have done it doesn’t seem like much of a reason to me...

The Packers will be the only team after next season that hasn't played in London.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You ignored that in December the NFL announced the Chargers will play a home game in London next season. In addition the league indicated that it was interested in having the six teams that hadn't been to the UK to have a game played there before announcing the 2018 games. Five of those clubs either have participated in a London game or are scheduled to in '19.

With the Chargers obviously not having an issue giving up a home game it's pretty obvious to me the Packers were the one not interested in it.

The Packers will be the only team after next season that hasn't played in London.

So in 2 seasons they got 5 of 6 teams scheduled to play in London. That's not too bad. They also changed their mind and decided that the Chargers would play in Mexico City instead of London. Somehow I doubt Mark Murphy suggested that one.

Not interested is not the same as preventing it from happening. I'm guessing lots of teams are not really interested in it. If the league wanted the Packers there in 2019 they would be there. I just don't see Mark Murphy having that kind of pull.

They will probably be there in 2020.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can find no links showing the Chargers announced as playing in London in 2019, only links saying they were one of the home teams for the international series, 4 games in London and one in Mexico City.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Playing in London reminds me of that scene in Paper Lion where George Plimpton tries to convince Vince Lombardi to let him play quarterback for a few plays for the Packers. Lombardi ushers him out the door and asks "Have you tried the AFL?". We don't need these sorts of gimmicks, it's a distraction.

That's the way I feel about it. Although I am empathetic toward Packers fans in Europe who would like to see a game.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you read my comment, I SAID there are some who have never seen the skies over Lambeau, never even seen a game who object to the team travelling over to Europe. I understand all of your objections although I disagree with you over the jet lag argument entirely. As regards the justification argument, what makes the Packers any different to any other organisation in the NFL ? and please don't give me the "owned by the fans" argument please.
ok... how about the other teams felt the need and the Packers didn’t lol.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

They will probably be there in 2020.

I highly doubt that will happen.

I can find no links showing the Chargers announced as playing in London in 2019, only links saying they were one of the home teams for the international series, 4 games in London and one in Mexico City.

Actually you're correct about it, my bad. I was absolutely convinced the league announced the Chargers would host a game in London.

Reaction score
I'm from the US, but would 100% be in favor of the Packers playing in London only if it was for an away game and that away game being the Vikings. Because we cannot win in Minnesota anyway. Going to London would give us an advantage imo as opposed to playing in Minnesota

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm from the US, but would 100% be in favor of the Packers playing in London only if it was for an away game and that away game being the Vikings. Because we cannot win in Minnesota anyway. Going to London would give us an advantage imo as opposed to playing in Minnesota
Packers lost the last 3 after winning the previous 3. Packers have won just 1 of the last 7 vs Vikings after winning 10 of the previous 12. Those stats may have something to do with it also.

Reaction score
Packers lost the last 3 after winning the previous 3. Packers have won just 1 of the last 7 vs Vikings after winning 10 of the previous 12. Those stats may have something to do with it also.

Right its a "What have you done for me lately?" thing with the Pack vs Minnesota. And lately we just dont match up well with them. Cousins throws 3 ints one week and is a bum. Then they play us and he throws 4 tds and 400 yrds. Drives me insane

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I highly doubt that will happen.

I do doubt the Packers will be a home team in London and I don't think they will move a divisional game so that means either the Texans, Colts, Buccaneers, Saints, or the NFC east or west team) would have to host. I could see it happening if they have another 4 games there in 2020.

Members online