Packers Plan To Be Big Spenders

Status
Not open for further replies.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ooooh my god... TT haters wouldn't know what to do with themselves!

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nelson Cobb shield getting contracts would be big spending

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As long as they save room for Cobb and Jordy next season, I'm all for it.

Within reason, of course. No pulling a Redskins and throwing way too much money at every player they get a little excited about.

Just|Me

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wont believe it until it really happens...but if so it would surprise me if TT starts to overspending on FAs which is fine with me.

Reaction score
Only on veteran stop gap type of players to patch the obvious holes?
Like Charlie Peprah/Howard Green types?
Cause I'm cool if it's just Paul Soliai and Chris Clemons... no need for a Byrd or Orakpo type.

Give us some leverage in the draft to just draft the best defensive player available instead of having to lock onto any specific position.

D

Deleted member 6794

It is really amazing that you just can´t let go of the only topic you post about 90% of the time. How about posting something informative just once instead of bashing other forum members all the time and in this case after somebody just posted a link to a story!!!

D

Deleted member 6794

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...rs-raji-could-be-history?campaign=Twitter_atl

Pretty surprising knowing how TT is in FA.. Any ideas who we would target?

I would be surprised if TT really signs five outside free agents. As I´ve saido repeatedly I would be fine with getting Chris D. Clemons and either Akeem Jordan and Arthur Moats. Seems like the Packers want to get more athletic at the DL, so I don´t think there´s any need to bring someone in via free agency there, though they have to get a NT during the draft in that case (assuming Raji won´t be re-signed).

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
5 !!!! No way.... 1 big name and 2 no-namers sounds about right. The big namer will get paid to much and under perform and the other 2 will fade away during camp and be cut loose. Bank on that !!!!

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would just be curious how Rappaport is getting this information, I'm personally not a fan at all of him. This has been a very odd offseason already so it wouldn't surprise me if this is actually true. Information is leaking out of 1265 since the season ended. It started with McCarren reportedly saying he's heard around the facility that TT is hell bent on getting the best safety in the draft, and will do whatever it takes to get him even if that means moving up, I'm paraphrasing obviously. And now this. The Packers are one of the most secretive teams in the NFL when it comes to this kind of stuff but where there's smoke there's usually fire so they say. I, for one, am excited about this. These rumors also tell me that offense will be an afterthought this offseason. EDS, James Jones, Kuhn, Starks all better have movers waiting because I don't think they're long for Green Bay.

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers need defense. I would understand if we let one of nelson or cobb go. It would suck but Rodgers can make so so wrs look good.

bubba

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Read this on NFL. com this morning. We already signed our free agent for the year. Some fullback I never heard of. I don't believe this story one bit. Really hope I am wrong we could use a couple descent veterans on defense. We will probably resign most of our underachieving players and call it good. If it aint broke don't fix it. Oh wait it is broke!

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Read this on NFL. com this morning. We already signed our free agent for the year. Some fullback I never heard of. I don't believe this story one bit. Really hope I am wrong we could use a couple descent veterans on defense. We will probably resign most of our underachieving players and call it good. If it aint broke don't fix it. Oh wait it is broke!

Way to bring the room down... No, I see what you're saying based on Teds track record but like I said earlier, this is very unusual to be coming out of GB. I don't think Byrd or any top level FA's are coming because we just simply cant afford guys like that longterm but I think he finally sees the writing on the wall... at least I hope

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I don’t believe Thompson will sign 5 veterans new to the Packers, unless you’re talking about an offseason like 2012 when he signed Anthony Hargrove, Phillip Merling, Daniel Muir, and Jeff Saturday. One season later and none of them were still on the team. And we certainly don’t have to worry about Thompson throwing money at UFAs like the Redskins

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

What about all the "free agency is BAD" crowd that defend TT's lack of spending? What leg do they stand on if TT starts spending money in free agency?

As for the premise of the article, it's a little odd. It's only NOW that the front office has decided to furnish players that fit their defensive coordinator's scheme? What exactly have we been doing the past couple years? Aside, I'm not criticizing the front office, I'm criticizing the article. Why would the Packers suddenly decide THIS year that they want to get players that fit their defense. What, the past couple of years were they just chucking darts at the player board?

D

Deleted member 6794

As for the premise of the article, it's a little odd. It's only NOW that the front office has decided to furnish players that fit their defensive coordinator's scheme? What exactly have we been doing the past couple years? Aside, I'm not criticizing the front office, I'm criticizing the article. Why would the Packers suddenly decide THIS year that they want to get players that fit their defense. What, the past couple of years were they just chucking darts at the player board?

Well, there have been speculations that Capers wasn´t really excited about the defensive players that were drafted over the last few seasons. Now I don´t know if that´s his fault not adjusting to the players he has to work with or if the front office should have drafted different guys, but it´s pretty obvious it didn´t work out that well over the last three years.

H

HardRightEdge

Well, we've been building smaller on the D-Line for a while. It started with Neal. We followed with Worthy and Daniels. Then Jones. We might as well throw Boyd in there since he'd be smallish for a NT if that's where he ends up.

Good, if that's the way you want to go. Now go find an ILB and a SS who can knock some heads, and find a way get Perry to play fast an physical in line with his measurables. Sync it up.

D

Deleted member 6794

Well, we've been building smaller on the D-Line for a while. It started with Neal. We followed with Worthy and Daniels. Then Jones. We might as well throw Boyd in there since he'd be smallish for a NT if that's where he ends up.

Those guys mostly played in subpackages though, as Raji, Pickett and Jolly made up the DL in the base.

tstej

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Those guys mostly played in subpackages though, as Raji, Pickett and Jolly made up the DL in the base.
We don't use our base formation all that often. Really only use it in special situations and against run base team.

H

HardRightEdge

All I'm saying is if they're going that way, then fit the puzzle pieces into a coherent picture. As previously discussed vis a vis PIT and SF with their smaller lines, it can work if you have fast, physical and skilled linebackers. We don't have those guys, so they should go get a couple. Or reload the big body supply and follow the previous path.

Neither approach is easy. They're opting for the latter it would appear. The flavor of the decade in college football is SS converted to LB...light, fast guys who are not afraid to hit, with a safety's understanding of defenses (fast, physical, skilled). It may just be a matter of fitting the scheme to the available talent; the Packers always bemoan how hard it is to find athletic big bodies.

However, the idea of going small on the D-Line with the incumbent back 7 largely intact is a recipe for disaster. Teams that run the ball well will keep us in short yardage and base-D all day.

H

HardRightEdge

We don't use our base formation all that often. Really only use it in special situations and against run base team.
We used it 35% of the time last season. That is a lot. Defense begins with stopping the run and getting to 2nd. and long and 3rd. and long nickel where errors can be forced.

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This showed up on my timeline on Twitter. Doesn't sound like it's based off too many facts, but it's certainly interesting:

http://digitaljournal.com/sports/nf...my-graham-to-green-bay-packers/article/370397

The Green Bay Packers have a big hole to fill as the team's top two tight ends have become NFL free agents and neither is likely to return.
Quarterback Aaron Rodgers is among the league's best, but finding play makers for him and the offense is a must this off-season. Recent reports have the franchise sitting is good position with nearly $30 million is salary cap space, enough to make a big splash with a veteran signing or two. Bleacher Report writer Michelle Noyer-Granacki has suggested Dennis Pitta is a solid option, but with the amount of money the team has to spend, Jimmy Graham is a far better player and the type of tight end that can lineup all over the field and give Rodgers a big time target in the red zone.
The 27 year-old has transformed the tight end position and has 36 touchdowns over the last three years. With the New Orleans Saints struggling with salary cap room, resigning the talented receiver could be tough and that could leave the door open for teams like Green Bay, who are looking to add the talent necessary to win a Super Bowl.

Read more: http://digitaljournal.com/sports/nfl-news-and-rumors-jimmy-graham-to-green-bay-packers/article/370397#ixzz2tEkRDxLa

Status
Not open for further replies.