Packers linebacker Barnett arrested

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not to sound too pushy, but can anyone answer my previous question and the reason I dug up this thread? I just haven't heard anything new about it and was wondering if it's dropped or what's going on....

all i heard was he was charged with misdemeanor disorderly conduct. And this is the end of this it is highly unlikely he will be suspended. This was minor and he hasnt been in the news a ton like Pacman, Tank Johnson, Chris Henry.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all i heard was he was charged with misdemeanor disorderly conduct. And this is the end of this it is highly unlikely he will be suspended. This was minor and he hasnt been in the news a ton like Pacman, Tank Johnson, Chris Henry.

This is pretty much as I expected would happen. We have to remember that Barnett is a Green Bay Packer in a small town, rural state. Pretty much everything is going to be swept under the rug regardless of the circumstances or if a crime was committed.

Heck, he could probably have beat the lady up and ***** her and simply gotten off with a misdemeanor slap on the wrist, and after reading several of the postings here, it sounds like many would have patted him on the back for doing so.

As any wife or child beater will tell you, it was all their fault.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lare: that is not exactly fair given the circumstance of this case. The woman was stalking and threw a drink in his face. He responded by pushing her away when she jumped back in her faced.

I do not and would never condone violence against a woman. In this case the small town celeb status seems to have worked against Nick -- as there was no police witness and they acted without even minimal information from the parties involved and the ownership of the club.

BTW as far as I know their are NO formal charges as of yet -- though I was on the road and could have missed it.

PackerLegend said:

This is pretty much as I expected would happen. We have to remember that Barnett is a Green Bay Packer in a small town, rural state. Pretty much everything is going to be swept under the rug regardless of the circumstances or if a crime was committed.

Heck, he could probably have beat the lady up and ***** her and simply gotten off with a misdemeanor slap on the wrist, and after reading several of the postings here, it sounds like many would have patted him on the back for doing so.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce, all I'm saying is that despite reading several alleged accounts of what happened that night, I have yet to see any factual accounts substantiated by the police investigation. Yet many people are already bending over backwards trying to find some way to blame the female in question, and condone any actions taken by Nick Barnett.

We have countless examples where professional athletes are held to different standards that ordinary citizens, and it goes both ways. But IMO, when we start trying to justify illegal activities, we're really no better than the criminals themselves.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Lare,

This part of your post is probably the most B.S. post I've ever read on this forum (which says a lot). If you're trying to offend 99.999% of the people that frequent this site, you probably did a good job. I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I definitely do not fall in the category of condoning a ****, much less "patting him on the back" for doing so. I doubt you were thinking of me at all when you spewed that garbage but I just thought I best make it clear. :comp:

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
zero, there arent any girls on here... so you can drop the hero talk. haha... believe me there are plenty of instances where its perfectly fine to shove a woman to the ground... mostly having to do with intimate relations... but nonetheless.

admit, it... punching a girl in the ***** is funny. mean, uncalled for... but funny.

Playful, yea of course. Angry, no.

:)

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Pushing a woman regardless of her 'egging' you on is inexcusable. If it was life threatening and you had to shove her to protect your life, fine. Otherwise, its wrong.
He's a professional athlete, he's not ignorant to how the world works. He knows people want to take the easy road by ******** "stars" over. He needs to be smarter if that is what happened.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lare said:

Lare,

This part of your post is probably the most B.S. post I've ever read on this forum (which says a lot). If you're trying to offend 99.999% of the people that frequent this site, you probably did a good job. I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I definitely do not fall in the category of condoning a ****, much less "patting him on the back" for doing so. I doubt you were thinking of me at all when you spewed that garbage but I just thought I best make it clear. :comp:
I agree with NDfan.
The statement you made was TOTALLY uncalled for. I have stated that if Barnett did something wrong, he should be held accountable. But if the guy was trying to avoid a confrontation with the woman, and he tried to just get her away from himself, does that say he "beat" or "*****" her? I myself have seen some pretty bizarre women when they were tanked up.
I have seen guys try to avoid them when they push right up to them screaming in their faces. There's a HUGE diffenrence from pushing someone away from you to try to keep THEM from hurting you or themselves, and shoving someone to the floor. I wasn't there to see what really went on, and I'm NOT gonna find Barnett guilty JUST BECAUSE HE'S A MAN. Women have a responsibilty for their actions too. Just because they don't have a ***** doesn't give them 100% freedom to attack whoever they want and not have to pay any consequences.
I'm even waiting for the Police findings in the dog fighting case with Michael Vick before i decide if he deserves punishment or not. So it's not just because Barnett is a Packer that i don't automatcally find him innocent OR guilty. I want to know the WHOLE story before i would pronounce a verdict on ANYONE. Don't you think that is being fair? Would you want someone to throw you in jail just because you are a man, and whoever attacked you happened to be a woman?
Women have equal rights in America, and as I see it, equal responsibility for their actions, and the consequences they get FOR their actions.
If Barnett committed a crime, punish him. If he didn't, then he should NOT be punished. I think thats fair, don't you?

mi_keys

Cheesehead
Reaction score

:cheerleader:
R-A-P-E
Nick you've made me proud of thee
Go Barnett!
Go Barnett!

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
mi_keys said:

R-A-P-E
Nick you've made me proud of thee
Go Barnett!
Go Barnett!

OK, I guess mi_keys is in the .001% of those not offended by Lare's earlier post... :rubeyes:

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerLegend said:

It was minor because nothing has been brought up and he hasnt been charged. From all the reports it said the lady wouldnt leave him alone and threw a drink in his face. I dont condone anyone ever hitting or beating up a woman. I dont find anything wrong with him trying to keep his space away from her. She wouldnt leave him alone and threw a drink in his face at some point everyone would snap and do something he pushed her away. No reports said he beat her up or hit her so what is the problem.

Schmitty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Barnett will come out of this crap pretty clean. I think just because he is the greatest Packer on the team, :thumbsup: the media just wanted to blow this thing up. I think it was pretty innocent and I think the case will get dismissed.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So a few people are upset because I don't agree with them in condoning Barnett's actions that night. Well tough. The point I as making is that all we have for information so far is unsubstantiated reports, yet we have many people making things up in order to justify Barnett's actions. The only information I could find with any real information was:

Appleton police released details on the arrest of Green Bay Packers linebacker Nick Barnett early Sunday morning.
According to police, around 2 A.M. Barnett got into a fight with a female acquaintance inside Wet, an Appleton night club, and pushed her to the floor. One woman allegedly threw a drink at Barnett, and another fan grabbed Barnett's arm and asked for an autograph. A bar owner got involved and the owner's argument with Barnett spilled out to the street, where police officers became involved.
“When the officers initially asked Mr. Barnett for some identification, he was uncooperative and very argumentative and refused to provide ID, refused to give a name or anything of that nature. He subsequently did provide identification but continued to argue with the officers," Sergeant Pat DeWall, Appleton Police Department, said.
Officers arrested Barnett. He was booked into the Outagamie County Jail and was released after posting a $500 bond. Police say they plan to pursue a misdemeanor charge of battery against Barnett, but it's up to the Outagamie County district attorney to decide if Barnett will face charges. The district attorney's office said there is no word when or if Barnett is expected in court.

Yet, we have people taking that account and coming up with statements like;

"Actually Z2C it could be construed that he did defend himself. Her constant and unwanted approaches topped off by throwing a drink in his face is assault on its own."

"Is he supposed to just let her get in close where maybe she can gouge his eyes or something?"

"If she DID throw a glass in his face, I'd say he showed alot of self control by not doing anything but push her away from him."

"Maybe he didn't even touch her, and she's just accusing him cause she was pissed at him."

"And a woman has no more right to get violent towards a man then a man does towards a woman. Just because she doesn't have a ***** doesn't give her a free pass to throw a glass into someone's face."

"....believe me there are plenty of instances where its perfectly fine to shove a woman to the ground"

"You know...they want equality, but scream bloody murder when they get smacked back!"

"I have also always believed that a woman forfeits her "right" to protection from stronger males when she strikes the first blow. I don't blame Barnett one damned bit for trying to defend himself. He has that RIGHT!"

"I can see a guy having to do that to get the drunken woman away from him. She probably egged him on so that he would have to get physical to get her away from him. Then she can yell and scream to the Police and get him in trouble. Why wasn't SHE held accountable for her actions?"

So if anyone has any official reports proving that any of the above statements are factual and that Barnett's actions were justified, please share them with us all. Until that happens, I'll stick to my opinion that many people are twisting the facts and making things up in order to condone Barnett's physically assaulting a women far inferior to him physically.

And even if some of the things people are saying happened did happen, someone please explain to me why he didn't just walk away instead. IMO, that's what real men do.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Lare said:
Pushing a woman regardless of her 'egging' you on is inexcusable. If it was life threatening and you had to shove her to protect your life, fine. Otherwise, its wrong.
He's a professional athlete, he's not ignorant to how the world works. He knows people want to take the easy road by ******** "stars" over. He needs to be smarter if that is what happened.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lare, how do you know that Barnett didn't TRY to just "walk away" from her? Sounds to me like she was some tanked up woman that wasn't going to leave him alone no matter what.
Does she have NO responsibility for what happened? Lets see....."According to police, around 2 A.M. Barnett got into a fight with a female acquaintance inside Wet, an Appleton night club, and pushed her to the floor. One woman allegedly threw a drink at Barnett,"
Why is it "allegedly threw a drink at Barnett", but not "Barrnett allegedly pushed her to the floor"??? When the woman does it, they say "allegedly", he doesn't get that for him though.
Plus you have to ask......if this woman was drunk, how much did it take to "push her to the floor"? I have seen women (AND men) that if you breathed on them too hard they would have fell over. He might have just moved his arm to keep her away, and she fell.
You WANT to find him guilty. Me, i would want to know all the FACTS before i pass judgement. But i do that in all cases, with all people. I'm funny that way i guess........i like to know FACTS before i pass judgement.
I don't know if we will ever know the truth of what went on that night.
I just hope that if I'm ever accused of anything, that you arn't on my jury. You'd have me executed before the trial even started.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
From the reports given. it appears he was walking away because the incident apparently happened with the woman grabbing his arm. to me that sounds like he was walking away.

regardless, u dont hit a woman or push a woman down to the ground... err as some would say, shove a woman down to the ground.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you can only grab someones arm when they are walking away?

cant we just ignore this issue. We're not the bengals!

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lare, how do you know that Barnett didn't TRY to just "walk away" from her? Sounds to me like she was some tanked up woman that wasn't going to leave him alone no matter what.
Does she have NO responsibility for what happened? Lets see....."According to police, around 2 A.M. Barnett got into a fight with a female acquaintance inside Wet, an Appleton night club, and pushed her to the floor. One woman allegedly threw a drink at Barnett,"
Why is it "allegedly threw a drink at Barnett", but not "Barrnett allegedly pushed her to the floor"??? When the woman does it, they say "allegedly", he doesn't get that for him though.
Plus you have to ask......if this woman was drunk, how much did it take to "push her to the floor"? I have seen women (AND men) that if you breathed on them too hard they would have fell over. He might have just moved his arm to keep her away, and she fell.
You WANT to find him guilty. Me, i would want to know all the FACTS before i pass judgement. But i do that in all cases, with all people. I'm funny that way i guess........i like to know FACTS before i pass judgement.
I don't know if we will ever know the truth of what went on that night.
I just hope that if I'm ever accused of anything, that you arn't on my jury. You'd have me executed before the trial even started.

Sorry Cheesey, but we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. While the intent of my posts were to get people to wait and base their opinions on the facts of this case, you continue to feel it's necessary to pose hypothetical situations in order to exonerate Barnett, regardless of his guilt/innocence.

By making statements such as "Plus you have to ask......if this woman was drunk, how much did it take to "push her to the floor"? I have seen women (AND men) that if you breathed on them too hard they would have fell over. He might have just moved his arm to keep her away, and she fell." I think it's somewhat clear what your feelings are on matters of this nature, even though you purport to base your opinions on "fact".

As to my being on a jury, if you were innocent I think you would find that you would do well to have an entire jury such as myself deciding your fate. I would base (and have based) my vote on the facts of the case, not on hypothetical situations or theoretical events.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lare, what you call the "facts" of the case are what you saw written up, right? You haven't heard directly from this woman, or any witnesses that actually were there, did you?
I'm just doing what you are doing. You also are basing your decision to find him guilty on the few lines that were written. I'm saying you don't get the true facts based on what little was written. If i were on the jury in this, and the people were under oath to tell the truth, that would be what i would base my decision on.
I'm in no way 'exonerating" Barnett. I'm being unbiased completely in this case. All i want are the REAL facts of what happened. Nothing more, nothing less.
I have seen altercations where when you ask either side what really happened, you not only get 2 different stories, but they sound like 2 completely differnet things. I just haven't seen enough to decide whos really at fault here, or what REALLY happened.
As I said, if he DID manhandle her, then lets see some charges filed and prosecute him. If he didn't, then it will be a non issue.
I don't just automatically believe everything I read.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This commentary was on packerenews.com and the sport pages of the Green Bay Press-Gazette on june 27,2007. Commentary by Sports editor of The Green Bay Press-Gazette Mike Vandermause and article was entitled "Barnett should've walked away"

"Nick Barnett should have known better.

TheGreen Bay Packers linebacker was arrested last week following an altercation at an Appleton nightclub, and Outagamie County district attorney Carrie Schneider is expected to decide soon whether to formally charge the Packers' linebacker.

The incident appears relatively minor, as far as barroom misbehavior goes. Barnett was arrested on a misdemeanor battery offense for allegedly shoving a woman.

There is no excuse or justification for Barnett's alleged actions. However, it should be noted some bar patrons treated Barnett rudely, according to nightclub owner Kathie Peotter. One woman threw a drink at Barnett, and another fan grabbed Barnett's arm and asked for an autograph.

Beyond proving that nothing good happens to a professional athlete at a bar at 2 in the morning, the incident shows Barnett has a lot to learn.

As the Packers' starting middle linebacker for the past four years, Barnett has established himself as a leader of the defense. His efforts were rewarded when the Packers signed Barnett to a six-year, $35 million contract extension in April.

But with fame and fortune come responsibility, and it's high time Barnett, 26, begins acting like a leader off the field.

If Barnett can't handle himself in an acceptable manner in street clothes, then his considerable efforts in uniform will be rendered meaningless.

No one is saying Barnett has to be a choirboy. But a minimum standard of acceptable behavior would be to keep his name off the police blotter.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell is cracking down on players who wind up on the wrong side of the law, and Barnett could face a suspension. Barnett has to know his off-field behavior has consequences that can adversely affect his teammates.

Barnett and other pro athletes deserve some sympathy when it comes to dealing with obnoxious people, particularly in a bar. Players should be allowed to spend a night out on the town without being hassled by belligerent fans.

However, Barnett's experience as a nightclub owner in Green Bay should have taught him knuckleheads inevitably will surface. What Barnett hasn't learned is how to respond to bad behavior.

A prominent football player simply must walk away from potential trouble.

An early-morning nightclub confrontation is no place to prove your toughness or defend your honor. Barnett has ample opportunities to do that every week during the season.

Packers coach Mike McCarthy said he has stressed to his players the importance of avoiding problems in public places.

"(This is) part of the lifestyle of being an NFL football player, and they've got to be smart out there," McCarthy said. "First of all, you need to avoid that type of environment, and when you're in that type of situation, you need to defuse it. We'll continue to talk about those things with our football team."

It's apparent Barnett didn't get the message, either from Goodell or McCarthy.

A suspension would be harsh, considering the circumstances. But maybe that's what it will take for Barnett to learn a hard lesson.

Mike Vandermause is sports editor of the Press-Gazette.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cheesey- At the last minute ,there was a change to a special prosecutor in Nic Barnett case. . The Outagamie County DA Carrie Schneider recused herself because of conflict of interest.

Therefore the DA of Door County will be the special prosecutor in the case. The special prosecuter will have to study the Nic Barnett case before a trail date can be scheduled. Often the County judge's court docket is very busy. This case could take a while before it will be heard.

Since I don't have copy of the article. I would have had to post the whole explanation from memory . There fore I just gave a short explanation and did not go in great detail why the DA took herself off the Nic Barnett case. I wanted to be accurate and memory is not the way to make sure this post would be accurate in this situation.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Cheesey- At the last minute ,there was a change to a special prosecutor in Nic Barnett case. . The Outagamie County DA Carrie Schneider recused herself because of conflict of interest.

Therefore the DA of Door County will be the special prosecutor in the case. The special prosecuter will have to study the Nic Barnett case before a trail date can be scheduled. Often the County judge's court docket is very busy. This case could take a while before it will be heard.

Since I don't have copy of the article. I would have had to post the whole explanation from memory . There fore I just gave a short explanation and did not go in great detail why the DA took herself off the Nic Barnett case. I wanted to be accurate and memory is not the way to make sure this post would be accurate in this situation.

I'm not positive, but I think it was something on the lines of the spouse of the DA owned something that Nick Barnett leased to them. I think. I am not sure though. There was some kind of connection with the DA and Barnett though.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh well......whatever is gonna happen will happen. I have no say in it anyways. So I'm just gonna drop out of this conversation. If he did it......nail him. If not.....let him go. Thats my :twocents:

Members online

Latest posts