Packers hint they will rest starters next week

News Bot

News Bot
Reaction score
When the Packers were undefeated, coach Mike McCarthy talked about not “playing scared” down the stretch. Now that his team has a loss on the register — and the No. 1 seed in the NFC — McCarthy’s tone is changing. “We do need to get healthy as a team,” said McCarthy after Sunday’s win via…
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Source: ProFootballTalk.com

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I heard Jordy on Bob and Brian 102.9 out of Milwaukee say it might be like a pre season game??

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So MM isn't going to have Rodgers chuck the ball all over the field to the starters up to the final whistle(with a 3 +td lead) in an attempt to set some records like some other recent game I remember?????

Rodgers or Brady could easily have that record as well this season if they had been throwing deep with a huge lead at the end of the 4th quarter.

skibum55

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My guess is that the starters will play for the 1st qtr, just to stay sharp. Then Matt Flynn will come in to play the 2nd and 3rd qtr, and possibly Graham Harrell for the 4th qtr.

Just my guess, though.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be ok with Finley and Jordy not playing at all. Along with the guys who are already a little beat up like Starks and Woodson and Jennings (who i doubt would play anyway right?)

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
I heard Jordy on Bob and Brian 102.9 out of Milwaukee say it might be like a pre season game??

This is what is should be like. Starters play for quarter. Then put in the back-ups. If MM wants Clifton to play to get an idea of where he is, he's going to have to play for more than just one series.

LombardiChick

Win or lose, I love this team.
Reaction score
I just wish it wasn't against the Lions. Those thugs don't deserve a victory over GB.

Right there with you. I'm firmly in the ANYBODY BUT DETROIT Super Bowl camp, as well (in the NFC). I'd rather have seen the Bears get in. [Insert audible gasp, hush from the crowd.] Seriously.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
He should rest the starters. All of you wanting them to start won't be saying that if Rodgers or someone goes down in the first quarter. That would look REAL SMART on McCarthy when this game means nothing at all.

Oh and BTW as far as "we can't rest starters, that will make them rusty in the playoffs" that is not true. Look up the 1994 49ers. They had the #1 seed locked up, rested starters in final game, and lost, and went on to win Super Bowl, as did New Orleans in 2009.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Since the perfect season is Gone with the Wind I don't think I care anymore. Would be nice to beat the Lions but then again I think momentum heading into the playoffs is a tad overrated. How much momentum is truly going to carry over a few weeks later and the Packers did play to win vs. the Bears so we are only talking one game.

Sometimes I look at this Pack team and feel some of the issues are being tired as stupid as that might sound. Maybe they all need a break to regroup a bit, especially on defense where they are getting sloppier and sloppier.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
We need to really try to avoid playing these guys in the post season.

I don't mean to sound like Mr. negative, but I just don't like playing someone 3 times a year what so ever.

A divisional team has a much higher chance of beating you than any other team. The Lions will definitely throw things around that they didn't do earlier this year.

Don't forget what happened to NE in the playoffs last year. We are actually in the same position as them. Think about it, last year NE ranked 31st in total defense yet led the league in interceptions. We are that team this year. The Jets came out there and proved just how easy it was to beat them. Their defense couldn't stop anyone, but if you shut down Brady and have a field day against that defense, you can easily win. Also NE struggled to run the ball come playoff time last year, and the Packers right now are struggling for a run game.

For some reason I feel like the Lions could do that to us. When we played them earlier, there was tons of screw ups that led to punts. Like Finley's dropped passes on 3rd downs. We actually got lucky in that game that Stafford threw it away. Yeah you can brag all day how we shut down Megatron but all that did was open up routes to other guys, and Calvin Johnson is not their only good guy, they are loaded with talent. But also, we failed to run the ball against Detroit, and we seen last week their run defense is improving. An upset like the Jets doing it to NE last year is very possible, since afterall this defense is a complete reflection of that 2010 Patriots team, and you can also say the run game is too.

I would rather these guys lose in the first round than face us, as it could be a nightmare.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
We need to really try to avoid playing these guys in the post season.

I don't mean to sound like Mr. negative, but I just don't like playing someone 3 times a year what so ever.

A divisional team has a much higher chance of beating you than any other team. The Lions will definitely throw things around that they didn't do earlier this year.

Don't forget what happened to NE in the playoffs last year. We are actually in the same position as them. Think about it, last year NE ranked 31st in total defense yet led the league in interceptions. We are that team this year. The Jets came out there and proved just how easy it was to beat them. Their defense couldn't stop anyone, but if you shut down Brady and have a field day against that defense, you can easily win. Also NE struggled to run the ball come playoff time last year, and the Packers right now are struggling for a run game.

For some reason I feel like the Lions could do that to us. When we played them earlier, there was tons of screw ups that led to punts. Like Finley's dropped passes on 3rd downs. We actually got lucky in that game that Stafford threw it away. Yeah you can brag all day how we shut down Megatron but all that did was open up routes to other guys, and Calvin Johnson is not their only good guy, they are loaded with talent. But also, we failed to run the ball against Detroit, and we seen last week their run defense is improving. An upset like the Jets doing it to NE last year is very possible, since afterall this defense is a complete reflection of that 2010 Patriots team, and you can also say the run game is too.

I would rather these guys lose in the first round than face us, as it could be a nightmare.

Last years Pats and everyone else got a bit too high on the beatdown that NE put on the Jets in the regular season. I think many forgot that the Jets handled the Pats well though earlier in the year in a NE loss.

Last years Jets also was playing some lights out D. In the WC round they kept Peyton from truly doing much either and Revis shut down Reggie Wayne for 1 catch for negative yards. They did not let anyone get open for NE in the playoffs.They beat Manning and Brady in back to back weeks. I think they got a lot of confidence finally getting by Peyton. Peyton had always owned Rex Ryan but it did help that Clark and Collie were out.

I don't think Detroit has the secondary that last year's Jets did even if they are good up front.

The D that would be best able to limit the Packers from the NFC is the 49ers. This years Niners are a bit like last years Jets in terms of a great D, a great run game and a game managing QB. The physical nature of both teams is nearly the same. A truly physical team can sometimes do some damage to a more finesse squad in the playoffs.

Reaction score
I am confused on your take, Bogart. You think it's best to rest the starters. On the other hand you don't want to meet us in the playoffs. If you don't want to see us in the playoffs then wouldn't you want the Packers to beat us in W17, forcing us to play @ NO instead of @ NYG/DAL? Because if we get #5 we can roll through the #4 and it's guaranteed we'll be playing you guys in the divisonal because #6 ATL will not get past #3 NO

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I am confused on your take, Bogart. You think it's best to rest the starters. On the other hand you don't want to meet us in the playoffs. If you don't want to see us in the playoffs then wouldn't you want the Packers to beat us in W17, forcing us to play @ NO instead of @ NYG/DAL? Because if we get #5 we can roll through the #4 and it's guaranteed we'll be playing you guys in the divisonal because #6 ATL will not get past #3 NO

Your already in the playoffs, it's not worth that risk.

I really respect the Lions as a team. I wanted Stafford to succeed watching him in Georgia, and I'm happy he turned out to be the real deal. But from a divisional stand point, I think that one team you play twice a year has a better 50/50 shot at beating you than any other team in the league, cause after all you play them twice, you know what they are going to do.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Your already in the playoffs, it's not worth that risk.

I really respect the Lions as a team. I wanted Stafford to succeed watching him in Georgia, and I'm happy he turned out to be the real deal. But from a divisional stand point, I think that one team you play twice a year has a better 50/50 shot at beating you than any other team in the league, cause after all you play them twice, you know what they are going to do.

It might be for them though. The Packers can't move from #1. It's locked. They may play starters a little just to keep something going but thats it. I honestly don't know but it sounds like GB may have an evaluation/glorified preseason game now.

Detroit is in but has a real chance to win and avoid going to NO first with a win over GB.

And in the AFC most will have to play to win but Houston doesn't. They are locked into #3. But, I hear they will go full speed in this game likely and thats the word. They have lost the last two and don't want to go into the playoffs with a young team losing 3 in a row. Yates needs more practice/Wade is back finally and so is Andre.

It depends on the team. GB probably can rest this game and still be fine. They are experienced enough and need to get healthy.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I would much rather see Lions at Saints though. Could be a pretty exciting game if Detroit does not do anything dumb.

Also let's not count out Matt Flynn if he comes in the game early. ;)

Fazeman

Setting The Pace
Reaction score
I believe they'll alternate the starters because you can't have one without the other.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!