Packer Report - Wideouts

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just signed up for a full year of Packer Report, which sorta comes with signing up for total access to Scout.com's Packer Report. Here's a good rundown on Wide Receivers ----

Unit by unit: Wide receivers

By Todd Korth
[email protected]
Date: Feb 3, 2006

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

PackerReport.com's series on breaking
down each position continues with wide
receivers. While Donald Driver shined
for the Packers last year, the team was
hurt by injuries to others, or lackluster
performances.

Starters - Javon Walker, Donald Driver
Backups - Antonio Chatman, Robert Ferguson, Rod Gardner, Andrae Thurman, Terrence Murphy

The wide receiver position is very deceptive for the Green Bay Packers. On the outside, the Packers appear to be deep with talent, but because of a few serious injuries to key receivers last season, and weak showings by others, the position will need plenty of attention this off-season.

The Packers suffered a huge blow in Week 1 of the 2005 season when first-time Pro Bowler Javon Walker suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee after catching a 55-yard pass from Brett Favre in the third quarter of the season-opening loss at Detroit.

With Walker lost for the season, Robert Ferguson was in position to have a breakout season, but his persistent woes with injuries continued and he never made an impact. Ferguson didn't have more than four receptions in any game, finishing with a just 27 and suffered a torn knee ligament at midseason that kept him out of five games and landed him on injured reserve for the final week. It's possible Ferguson, who's signed through 2008 but has a salary-cap number of $2.8 million this year, will be cut loose, especially if unrestricted-free-agent-to-be Rod Gardner is re-signed.

Donald Driver turned out to be the only legitimate threat at receiver for the Packers, and easily the team’s MVP. He fought his way through a multitude of double coverages on routes mainly over the middle to set career highs with 86 catches for 1,221 yards.

Because of injuries to Walker and Ferguson, Antonio Chatman started three times and made the most of his opportunity. The 5-foot-9 Chatman was more than serviceable in a prominent role (three starts) and more than doubled his 2004 output with 49 catches. Expect Chatman, who also doubles as the team’s punt returner, to be re-signed as a restricted free agent this off-season.

Look for the Packers also to re-sign the 6-foot-2, 215 pound Gardner. The former first-round draft pick of the Washington Redskins had four catches for 67 yards in the final two games of the season for Green Bay. He began the season with Carolina before the Packers signed him off waivers in mid-December. He has ideal size for the West Coast offense and showed an ability to run with the ball after making a catch.

The future Terrence Murphy, a second-round draft pick last year, is uncertain. He sustained a bruised spinal cord on a hit by Carolina's Thomas Davis while returning a kickoff in Week 4 and hasn't been cleared to return to football activity. There is a good chance that Murphy will retire from football. Even if he does return, he likely will fight to regain the confidence that he had prior to the scary injury.

Andrae Thurman had a number of opportunities to make an impression last season, but like Ferguson, was unable to capitalize. His fumble on a kickoff return late in the game against Philadelphia sealed his fate on special teams. He did little to distinguish himself in four-receiver sets throughout the second half of the season.

The Packers need to select a receiver in the upcoming NFL draft to improve depth at this position. There is no guarantee that Walker will be the same player he was prior to his knee injury. Same with Murphy. If Ferguson is cut to clear room under the salary cap, look for the Packers to select a receiver on the first day of the two-day draft.

================================

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Todd Korth

Todd Korth is managing editor of PackerReport.com and Packer Report.
E-mail him at [email protected].

mrhustle11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
thanks for the preview..... i really like chad jackson out of florida, he looked pretty good from some of the highlights, but he is a florida wr. since i am from madison i also wouldnt mind taken orr or williams. orr is a big/ fast wr that has talent that is still to be tapped. after reading the article it makes me think that we have another position that we need to address this offseason because i dont want to see chatman running routes again next year

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That was a very accurate report of Wide receiver situation of the Packers for '06 season by Todd Korth of Packer report

slackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, a real good article on the WR situation. Gardner seems like a no brainer to me; hopefully they resign him! I'm sure Chatman will get another chance, but I'd like to see them consider Tim Dwight this year. I can't understand why TT didn't bring him in last year?? Hopefully, JWalk comes back strong and Driver continues his All-Pro play. Nevertheless, they'll still need at least one young guy to develop. I can't see a high pick being spent on the WR position; maybe TT can find another street FA like Gado or D. Lee??

OP
OP
I

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah - I tended to agree with his assessment of Ferguson - he's had (what) three years to prove his ability.... Especially after *****in' about not bein' thrown the ball, and then to perform so badly when they finally do... I got the opinion after awhile that he was just gunshy about bein' hit.... Had high hopes back in the beginning, tho'

Same could be said for Terence Murphy - his situation is a real shame, if he never gets that chance to even try.....

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's disappointing not to have the receiver position more settled after all the attention it has received in recent years. Like most fans, I would favor cutting Ferguson and signing Gardner at this point. Basically, if Chatman is our #4 guy, we are in good shape, and that is quite possible with Driver, Walker, and Gardner on the roster. But we do need another guy in the mix. I would not favor drafting a receiver on the first day, considering all the other needs this team has. But maybe Thompson can pick up a diamond in the rough, sort of a Donald Driver type, on day two.

Favreforever721

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel very bad for Terrence because he may never get to play the game he loves again. It's a real shame what injuries can do.

But, that is a good summary of the WR position. I think we should let Robert Ferguson go, keep Chatman(he's improving) and keep Gardner. If we do decide to draft a WR in the draft(very unlikely) I think we drop either Chatman or Gardner.

yourout

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Brandon Williams or Johnathon Orr are available in the late rounds the Pack would be wise to take a look.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
this guy was right on with everything...except for I don't think we need a WR day one, i'd say somewhere 5th-6th round...unless of course we swing a deal to trade down and end up with extra day one picks, which is a longshot

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we're in pretty good shape to develop a WR out of the draft. Driver and Walker will step right in as starters. Gardner and Chatman fill in nicely as backups and in 3-4 WR sets. This leaves a perfect opportunity to develop a 5-6 round pick at WR.

It's obvious that this is not a position of glaring need, just some draft attention.

Members online

Latest posts