Packer Free Agents: What should the Packers do? Track Their Decisions

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Just as long as you don't break your stride. We wouldn't want to slow you down.

Great, now every time I read a Mondio post I am going to picture this guy....

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Although I admit and I told Mondio this once, I used to picture this guy...

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
So I guess if I reassessed this through the lens of my "no one 29+" and "no one year deals" idea, then the only Packers I'd look at possibly retaining are Breeland, Ryan, and the RFA/ERFA's.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think this is the first move made by the Packers in a resigning of their own?

The Packers resigned defensive lineman Fadol Brown to a one-year deal.

Not a big resign, but Brown has good size at 6-4, 285 and is only 25. Could add decent depth to the DL and who knows, maybe he will continue to get better.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers have tendered Justin McCray. He will make $645K in 2019 and become a restricted free agent next offseason.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Has Fadol Brown been playing in the AAF?
I doubt it. The Packers picked him up on Waivers from the Raiders on December 5. He suited up for the Packers final 4 games and had a couple of big hits on Matthew Stafford.

Edit: Maybe I missed the sarcasm of your question. :cool:

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

Besides Brown and McCray, exclusive rights FAs include Kumerow, Gilbert, Tonyan and Patrick.

ERFAs have no bargaining power. They must take what the team offers or sit out the season. Consequently they are quite inexpensive. McCray's $645,000 is the league minimum for a player with 2 years accrued service. It's the lowest amount he could be paid under the CBA.

I would expect all of these guys to be tendered for something at or close to their minimums.

I wouldn't take an ERFA signing to mean anything other than they want the guy on the 90 man camp roster. There's typically no guaranteed money in these contracts. The only consequence of any one of these signings at this point is, for example, McCray's $645,000 moves him into the top 51, $150,000 more than the 1st. year minimum of a guy who rolls off the top 51.

I don't believe any of the other 5 have even 2 years accrued service, and if I'm not mistaken Kumerow's minimum would be $495,000, same as first year player, since he does not have a full year of accrued service.

In other words, the consequence of signing these players is little different from having already signed the guys at the bottom of this list:

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/green-bay-packers/

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Sounds like Nick Perry is very aware that the Packers may simply release him before March 15th.

If that is the plan, rip the band-aid and just do it or would you offer him a restructured deal and at what price? Cutting him before 3/15 "saves" the Packers $10.7375 M, but they will get hit by his full dead cap of $11.1M.

Depending on what the Packers do in Free Agency, keeping him around on a restructured deal might be smart, but those seem to rarely happen and not sure he is worth much more than just the roster bonus ($4.8M) he is due if kept. Guessing on the open market he is looking at nothing better than a 1 year prove it deal in the $3-6M.

H

HardRightEdge

Sounds like Nick Perry is very aware that the Packers may simply release him before March 15th.

If that is the plan, rip the band-aid and just do it or would you offer him a restructured deal and at what price? Cutting him before 3/15 "saves" the Packers $10.7375 M, but they will get hit by his full dead cap of $11.1M.

Depending on what the Packers do in Free Agency, keeping him around on a restructured deal might be smart, but those seem to rarely happen and not sure he is worth much more than just the roster bonus ($4.8M) he is due if kept. Guessing on the open market he is looking at nothing better than a 1 year prove it deal in the $3-6M.
I'm pretty confident that if the Packers sign a starting caliber edge in the opening days of FA then Perry will be cut before that roster bonus comes due.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm pretty confident that if the Packers sign a starting caliber edge in the opening days of FA then Perry will be cut before that roster bonus comes due.
I am hoping that is the case, at least the signing of a starting caliber edge FA. Perry shouldn't be viewed as guy you ink in as your starter, with any team. Might be some value in being your rotational 3rd down guy though, at the right price of course. In either case, I think the Packers will be looking for 2 new starters at EDGE.

One thing I am anxious to see though is Kyler Fackrell in 2019. Was his 2018 season a fluke or did his play get much better and is also benefiting from Pettine's defense? I'm just glad that 2018 wasn't Fackrell's contract year and we have 1 more season to try and see who he really is.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yet if we weren't to sign any of the interesting edge guys, I think Perry is a must stay given the state of our OLB group. Perry, First round pick, Fackrell, Gilbert isn't a scary group by any means but one we may be able to live with.

Even if we sign an edge guy in FA and we draft one high, im not sure if I am in favor of cutting Perry. Realistically what are the odds that he will be able to play 75% of the regular season. Surely quite high. Does gaining 3m in cap space really outweigh his value that he can provide as a situational edge rusher who will play roughly 75% of the season? I'd probably still prefer to keep him for one year and see how he fares when he garners less attention by opposing defenses. We could always cut him the year after when the dead cap wouldn't be as proportionally big to the rest of our cap space.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think everyone on earth can see that Perry being cut is a very real and likely thing that will happen in the coming week.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yet if we weren't to sign any of the interesting edge guys, I think Perry is a must stay given the state of our OLB group. Perry, First round pick, Fackrell, Gilbert isn't a scary group by any means but one we may be able to live with.

Even if we sign an edge guy in FA and we draft one high, im not sure if I am in favor of cutting Perry. Realistically what are the odds that he will be able to play 75% of the regular season. Surely quite high. Does gaining 3m in cap space really outweigh his value that he can provide as a situational edge rusher who will play roughly 75% of the season? I'd probably still prefer to keep him for one year and see how he fares when he garners less attention by opposing defenses. We could always cut him the year after when the dead cap wouldn't be as proportionally big to the rest of our cap space.

The dead cap is just what it is, dead cap. That $11.1M is on the books either in full this year or spread out for however long Perry is a Packer. So cutting him by 3/15 actually saves $10.7375 M in salary and bonuses, if I did my math right.

I agree with Mondio and most other posters, he is going to get cut, unless the Packers and him can restructure the deal.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have released LB Antonio Morrison. $2.02 million off the books.
I thought he'd at least make it training camp and have to be beaten out by someone. He's limited in what he can do, but at least he provided a thump when he was in there. Hardly a guy they can't replace, but also a guy good for competition. Though maybe they saved more by cutting him now?

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I thought he'd at least make it training camp and have to be beaten out by someone. He's limited in what he can do, but at least he provided a thump when he was in there. Hardly a guy they can't replace, but also a guy good for competition. Though maybe they saved more by cutting him now?
I could be off in my thinking, but this leads me to believe that the Packers value the cap savings at this point in time more than a camp body. I think the Packers want as much money at their disposal as soon as the free agency clock starts.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I could be off in my thinking, but this leads me to believe that the Packers value the cap savings at this point in time more than a camp body. I think the Packers want as much money at their disposal as soon as the free agency clock starts.
Could be, but since Morrison wasn't due any workout, roster or other any bonuses, his $2.025 M if he makes the 53 man roster, in my opinion would have been worth keeping around, until they absolutely need the cap space or they find his replacement.

The release of Morrison leaves the Packers with Blake Martinez, Oren Burks and James Crawford. So it's clear the Packers will address the inside linebacker position in free agency or in the draft.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jake Ryan as well.
Could be, but since Morrison wasn't due any workout, roster or other any bonuses, his $2.025 M if he makes the 53 man roster, in my opinion would have been worth keeping around, until they absolutely need the cap space or they find his replacement.

The release of Morrison leaves the Packers with Blake Martinez, Oren Burks and James Crawford. So it's clear the Packers will address the inside linebacker position in free agency or in the draft.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Sometimes you just know the guy isn't going to make it so what is the point of keeping him around? Now he is gone and its one less guy to have to concern yourself with no matter what.

I guess if I was a linebacker destined to have 1 sack in my professional career Tom Brady would be a nice guy to have it against. 50 years from now he will be drunk out of his skull somewhere muttering "GOAT my ***. He may have six rings but HE never sacked ME."

Members online