On to 2021!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If there's a DB playing at a major program, especially one like OSU, and he's more athletic and more healthy than king because of his build he is not lasting to the 3rd round. or even end of the 2nd.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
What position groups stand out as being better than average for this upcoming draft?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What position groups stand out as being better than average for this upcoming draft?

Honestly, WR and OL are some of the stronger positions I'm seeing in my research. Haven't delved DEEP into the 2021 draft class yet...but I am loving the WR, OL strength of position - I also think Edge is a rather strong/deep position which could be huge in replacing Preston possibly getting cut.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another odd insight....two of my favorite Edge guys herald from the same college/university.....

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score

WR is deep but the talent level is definitely off from 2020....I'm worried the Packers will "reach" for a WR in the 2nd Round and because of his draft position we expect a lot more than what we initially see. But said player should still improve the group significantly.

OT has a definite abundance of studs. I'm assuming we fix the right side of the OL in between Rounds 3-5, if Gute doesn't wait too long and they're all gone.

CB is pretty deep, you'll find a lot of starters but Pro Bowlers/Elites I'm not sure.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
WR is deep but the talent level is definitely off from 2020....I'm worried the Packers will "reach" for a WR in the 2nd Round and because of his draft position we expect a lot more than what we initially see. But said player should still improve the group significantly.

OT has a definite abundance of studs. I'm assuming we fix the right side of the OL in between Rounds 3-5, if Gute doesn't wait too long and they're all gone.

CB is pretty deep, you'll find a lot of starters but Pro Bowlers/Elites I'm not sure.
I’m expecting a CB to be taken early as insurance for Alexander’s expiring contract after 21 season and King leaving. I do think that they’ll also get a WR with one of the first 5 picks (end of round 4).
I haven’t begun to look yet at what is available this draft but I’d like them to get a defensive end in the first half of the draft too.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is the wrong draft for a 3-4 DE, Gute really screwed the pooch in 2020. Unless he trades up or reaches in the 1st, they're all gone VERY quickly.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There’s a few. Nixon/Dixon (I can’t remember) from Iowa has been playing well.
I haven't looked at him yet. But I have been looking at his teammate Golston who we might be able to grab in the 5th-6th. This DE class is VERY fickle. I'd kind of rather we invest multiple picks Day 3 then end up with a major bust Day 1 or Day 2.

OP
OP
G

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t know if he will enter this year or not, but Brant Kuithe (TE Utah) is exactly the type of player that LaFleur would love. Does everything. Good athlete. Only downside is he’s a little smaller than your typical TE, but that can be schemed around.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
With Ervin set to be a free agent and the team kicking the tires on Austin, I wonder if they'd be interested in Rondale Moore out of Purdue. The Boilermakers use him a ton in jet motion, and he's incredibly crafty with the ball in his hands.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Ervin set to be a free agent and the team kicking the tires on Austin, I wonder if they'd be interested in Rondale Moore out of Purdue. The Boilermakers use him a ton in jet motion, and he's incredibly crafty with the ball in his hands.

I watched some of his tape a while back...wow! If they're not interested in him I'd be shocked. Only problem is he's gonna go high I think his low slot is the 2nd round. More likely he'll be a first round pick the dude is an explosive versatile playmaker.... I'm sure every team has some level of interest in him

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Those of you who follow draft prospects closely, please provide thoughts on the following players. Potential fit for Packers, round etc.

DL Mustafa Johnson - Colorado
OT Ben Petrula - Boston College
TE Josh Pederson - Louisiana-Monroe
CB Asante Samuel - Florida State
RB Stevie Scott - Indiana
EDGE Patrick Jones - Pittsburgh
RB Mohamed Ibrahim - Minnesota

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Those of you who follow draft prospects closely, please provide thoughts on the following players. Potential fit for Packers, round etc.

Asante is an option at our first pick, I predict not end of 2nd however. I'm mixed on him. His aggression can get him in trouble but rather have a guy make aggressive mistakes than timid ones. Is it too early to take him end of 1st...some argue yes, but chances of him lasting past 50 is SLIM.

Mustafa, is a plug I like. He has holes in his game which is why most feel he will be an early day 3 guy unless he shines at combine. One of my favorite names and a guy I've predicted to us in my early mocks.

Any of the Pittsburgh guys in this draft are worth being well aware of. I dont have but my phone right now and his name is escaping me...but the DL guy that didn't play this year is a STUD and I love him if there in 2nd...wouldn't argue against him in first but I think there will be slightly better options should we go DL like maybe Shelvin or Tufele.

Petrula is a guy I dont dislike, but at his most likely round there are others I like better personally.

Scott does fit what I like but tough to gauge exactly what we do RB wise...if we resign one of the two Jones/Williams what we need could change and probably be Day 3. If we sign neither...probably a Day 2 RB is in the game possibly

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Johnson - DPR only. I look at him like I do Tipa Galei, he's steak in the run game. If you ask me Johnson needs to lose 30 lbs and play 4-3 DE/OLB.

Petrula - Priority UDFA.

Pederson - If you're thinking a Tonyan Jr, maybe. I wouldn't mind a camp invite.

Samuel Jr - I don't think he falls to us, but I like him.

Scott - Did he declare? He's a RS Sophomore if I remember correctly. He's back end Day 2 and I don't want any more RBs drafted this year.

Jones - Been watching his climb. Not sure where he falls, his Combine and Senior Bowl will make him either top of the 2nd Round or Mid 3rd.

Ibrahim - Rashan Gary probably ran a faster 40 than he will. Injuries are a concern as well. I'm not sure how much he'll offer in the passing game either.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Who are some of the better right tackle prospects that would be a good fit in the Packers offensive scheme?

P.S. Thanks for your input.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay @PikeBadger I'll probably attempt a full write up thread of its own like I did for undersized or underappreciated WRs with OTs, but here are some of my favorite Tackles...not necessarily meaning I like them to stay at RT, but some of my favorites. There are plenty others to like, but tried to space out realistic few for each day of the draft:

End of 1st/Early 2nd Guys:

Liam Eichenberg - This cat out of Notre Dame I love, I'm talking I have no doubt with a full training camp he could compete and start at LG/RG/RT and maybe even LT (not needed). IF Gute chose to select Liam or the next guy also possibly around late 1st while not pretty we all know Aaron would be smiling and so should we.

Rashawn Slater - This stud along the Northwestern front opted out...which IMO is the only reason he now will be in play possibly when we are on the clock. Arguably IMO the second best prospect outside Sewell heading into the season..but year off and such draws some mild concerns and others had great seasons to push past him.

Few other names to know Leatherwood (Alabama) and Radunz (North Dakota State)

Tier 2 types 2nd/3rd Rounders:

Daniel Faalele (Minnesota) is a GIANT of a man. Literally a GIANT. Nimble relative to his size arguably more than most TEs are....moves well and if refined the ceiling of his is possibly the highest of the class. His weight starts with a 4 ya'll and stands 6'8"

Walker Little (Stanford) is a tall and long LT that many are high on, while others point out he doesn't excel at anything to an elite level. Personally I see him as that very high floor type guy that may have a shorter ceiling but is very capable of playing for years at the next level. He has the length to be Bahk's backup and/or while playing elsewhere for us (RT).

Spencer Brown (Northern Iowa) is a 3rd round talent that has a nice long 6'9" frame that could hold more and that is good because his main downside is his strength needs improved. Skillset is there to build on, IMO has good movement despite some tighter hips. RT is a strong likelihood, not LT unless coached up some, but there again isn't any massive holes in him if he cures the strength category.

4th/5th Round types:

Tyler Vrabel (Boston College) - Personally I pray AJ Dillon is bugging the entire staff to make sure they get this guy. He is my mid round Jon Runyon of this year's draft. Arguably he is at a lower point than those listed before but has a much higher ceiling and flashes great ability when watching. Pedigree from the Vrabel name doesn't hurt (nod to Runyon). Like Runyon he is a college Tackle that I envision a strong chance of moving inside or maybe given a chance at RT. I am not mad despite many not saying he is worth it, if we pull trigger on him in the 3rd.

Cordell Volson another North Dakota State guy makes the mentions...raw with immense potential is the quick way to describe him for me. His agility and movement is visible but his heart and desire to be a finisher every play may make one feel he is more active than his body real is. That motor though cannot be coached and the trench bigguns will tell you sometimes it is that desire that gets the victories. I'm not sure where he will end up, but I wouldn't remove RT from possibilities, but I believe he is best suited groomed in the interior for us...or as the next swing type guy.

Brenden Jaimes makes the Cornhuskers proud and shows not only bad news is coming out of Nebraska. Little shorter than some OL at 6'5" but that lower point makes his anchoring ability shine on tape, that mixed with solid strength typically finds himself not losing many battles. While he played LT, and did serve at RT as well...I see very good Guard written all over him, his reach measurement at combine could cement this, but many scouts will tell you he is a guy with the experiment and ability to get you out of a game if pinched at tackle due to injuries though. The more you watch of Jaimes the more you'll see a solid gem hidden in the later rounds, don't ask him to start in year 1 but also don't shy away from using him (Runyon-esq).

Late Rounds

Alaric Jackson (Iowa) is a guy from a proven lineman school and is set to add to the list of draft picks going to the pros. He is that protypical prospect tackle that lacks the length and quickness to stop edge rushes at the next level found later in the drafts. Does he succeed at this transfer, I would bet Alaric can...but unlike some of the others I would scratch even a chance of Tackle out despite years of experience at it. He is rising up the boards it seems lately....

Syrus Tuitele (Fresno State) - Caught with poor hand placements against good rushers consistently...and is why I think he is a true candidate to swing inside. In pass blocking he seems almost rigid and robotic, and appears more fluid when tasked with run blocking...but some fear lacks the agility to seek out and find defenders that are off ball...his first step is dynamite though and with some coaching the technique and fluidness may come.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, if you have a choice of these guys with our 1st pick, who are you taking?

Carlos Basham
Shaun Wade
Nick Bolton
Kyle Pitts
Asante Samuel
Rondale Moore

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok, if you have a choice of these guys with our 1st pick, who are you taking?

Carlos Basham
Shaun Wade
Nick Bolton
Kyle Pitts
Asante Samuel
Rondale Moore

If all them are there id say we traded up...but given choice right now I'm going Wade or Bolton

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
If all them are there id say we traded up...but given choice right now I'm going Wade or Bolton
I’ve done 8 different mock drafts on Fanspeak using different filters. This was actually the one I did an hour ago. Would you be overall satisfied with this result?

31: R1 P31 LB Nick Bolton - Missouri

63: R2 P31 CB Israel Mukuamu - South Carolina

94: R3 P30 DL Levi Onwuzurike - Washington

133: R4 P31 EDGE Shaka Toney - Penn State

139: R4 P37 OT Tyler Vrabel - Boston College

172: R5 P31 CB Chris McCloud - Notre Dame

174: R5 P33 WR Chatarius Atwell - Louisville

209: R6 P30 RB Mohamed Ibrahim - Minnesota

218: R6 P39 OT Alaric Jackson - Iowa

252: R7 P30 3.1 Quentin Lake - UCLA

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally yes, most of these players have made my mocks or threads over in the draft section break downs.

Vrabel is a guy I love like I did Runyon.

Shaka is the guy I keep hoping is there where you said but I just think he may not last.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Personally yes, most of these players have made my mocks or threads over in the draft section break downs.

Vrabel is a guy I love like I did Runyon.

Shaka is the guy I keep hoping is there where you said but I just think he may not last.
It is unbelievable how differently the players are ranked by the different guys over at Fanspeak. Leads me to believe that getting a load of picks between 40 and 125 could really be the way to go. May be just too early to make a good assessment. See what things look like after the combine.