OJ Howard rumored to be on trade block...

What would you give up for OJ Howard?

• 3rd round pick or less

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • 4th round pick or less

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • 5th round pick or less

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • 6th round pick or less

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Nothing, no thanks

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Trade:

-GB gets OJ Howard (plus 5th year optional)

-Tampa Bay gets Jamaal Williams (last year of his contract) and a 2020 #94 selection.

Tampa Bay lost RB Peyton Barber to the Redskins and Jamaal Williams would step in as the immediate and “very slight “ upgrade as their current #2 RB without so much as a hiccup. Those 2 RBs were roughly parallel #2 RB’s as far as running the ball..(Jamaal is a smidge better IMO) but the sell here is Jamaal would give them a clear upgrade at receiving skills and better blocking for a QB who could use both and Jamaal is still at his peak (4.6 average in 2019).

That new Tampa Bay—Jones/Williams duo sends back an additional and very doable <-$1.3M>net Cap for the Packers (less the #94 draft class compensation) which is basically a wash. GB will be in search of another RB this draft either way. Jamaal is also in year 4, similarly to the concerns with OJ. Thus, Tampa could delay using a pick at RB altogether this draft and likewise, GB could ignore TE altogether.

GB would only need to prioritize RB slightly earlier this draft, where the Packers possess an ideal, SEVEN day 3 selections. The Packers also have the necessary day 3 resources to sweeten it with both a day 2 AND day 3 selection if we are anywhere close to putting a deal together in Win Win fashion.

GB would have a true #1 TE for 1-2 seasons. Then we could feel good about waiting until round 2 at WR if needed.. or even move up round 2 and stick it at WR where it’s not as costly. That leaves #30 for the best available talent (I’d prefer a trench guy at DL or OL) GB could have an All-Star Offensive cast before the day 3 draft sun rises.

Last edited:

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are we certain GB is looking for another RB? I expect Tyler Ervin to get more opportunities with the offense this year, and Dexter Williams could pull himself together this season. With Dexter specifically, we kinda know he can play, he just needs to master the playbook. I would rather Ervin or Dexter be the #2 than a Day 3 rookie, this RB class is pretty weak. The top 5 backs are going to be stars, but after that....nothing.

But either way, I'm not interested at #94, I doubt the Packers are either. I'm certain that Howard's value is probably 4th Round. I get the "potential", but his value is going to be on what teams have seen. No more "Jimmy Graham-esque" deals.

D

Deleted member 6794

The safe option would be bringing Burton in on a cheap 2 year deal like they did with funchess, wagner and Kirksey.

Howard has the potential to become an elite tight end though. On the other hand Burton is a risky option because of his injury history.

That's true, I didn't even consider that Howard would be a FA. We would be trading a draft pick for a 1 year rental. If Howard got 600-800 yards and 7 TDs he's definitely going to want to get paid. So unless we win a Super Bowl, that's a 4 year contract just thrown away for nothing but a feel good story. I'd rather we just unravel and get a Top 15 Pick for the trouble. All 5 of those TEs I mentioned earlier will be available in 2021 at that range.

The Packers should definitely not strive for getting a top 15 pick in next year's draft. Howard might significantly improve the Packers chances of winning a Super Bowl.

He was a first round pick. His contract has a fifth year option the Packers could pick up, no?

True, you have to consider that it would cost at least $6 million to retain Howard after this season though.

Without looking at the cap figure for 2022, I would be leery to take him just to possibly jettison him and draft a TE 2 years later. That doesn't make sense in the long run. It would be purely a Super Bowl or bust move.

With Rodgers championship window closing fast the Packers are in a win now mode. Therefore they need to take some risks to win another Super Bowl.

Why are you jettisoning him? The idea is that he'd turn into an elite TE. Why would you jettison that for a rookie?

Once again, Gutekunst needs to consider that means paying Howard. I'm not opposed to trade for him but that has to be accounted for.

If we can't afford to keep Howard, and he does become the elite TE some think he can be, then why make the trade at all? If we can't win a SB in that 2 years he's on the team before he's playing for someone else, it's a waste.

Obviously the Packers would make the deal to improve their chances of winning a Super Bowl over the next two seasons.

Trade:

-GB gets OJ Howard (plus 5th year optional)

-Tampa Bay gets Jamaal Williams (last year of his contract) and a 2020 #94 selection.

GB would only need to prioritize RB slightly earlier this draft, where the Packers possess an ideal, SEVEN day 3 selections. The Packers also have the necessary day 3 resources to sweeten it with both a day 2 AND day 3 selection if we are anywhere close to putting a deal together in Win Win fashion.

I don't believe the Buccaneers would be interested in acquiring Jamaal Williams either. Adding a second pick to trade for Howard on top of it would definitely be too much compensation in my opinion.

Are we certain GB is looking for another RB? I expect Tyler Ervin to get more opportunities with the offense this year, and Dexter Williams could pull himself together this season. With Dexter specifically, we kinda know he can play, he just needs to master the playbook. I would rather Ervin or Dexter be the #2 than a Day 3 rookie, this RB class is pretty weak. The top 5 backs are going to be stars, but after that....nothing.

I wouldn't have any confidence in Dexter Williams and Ervin being the primary backups at running back entering the season.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True, you have to consider that it would cost at least $6 million to retain Howard after this season though.

Once again, Gutekunst needs to consider that means paying Howard. I'm not opposed to trade for him but that has to be accounted for.

Yes, obviously good players need to get paid. The Packers, unfortunately, NEED GOOD RECEIVERS that are worthy of being paid. Why is it a negative that Howard might be good and deserving of a contract? How, in any way, is that worse than having a rookie who probably won't be worth paying for at least 2-3 seasons? I mean, by the time a rookie TE is worth a darn, Rodgers will be near the end of his current contract.

Reaction score
I don't believe the Buccaneers would be interested in acquiring Jamaal Williams either. Adding a second pick to trade for Howard on top of it would definitely be too much compensation in my opinion.
Maybe on the second pick. But we’re hypothetically talking about a 7th rounder, which isn’t going to make or break us. I doubt we’d need to do both either way, but it’s much better than a 2nd rounder
OJ Howard is a once in a decade talented TE if we can keep him on the field for 2 seasons. I regret losing Cook, we need a true all around #1 and we’ve been reaching ever since Cook left.

There’s no way the Buccaneers wouldn’t want to replace their lost #2 RB with a replacement. The only question is if they think he’s a fit. .
The problem with your answer to my proposal? is if you don’t ask.. you don’t get. That’s a losing proposition either way IMO. I’d take my chances of working a deal Verses taking your safe position Of burying talents. That gets you nowhere fast.
I’ve worked many business deals that people told me “wouldn’t work” only for that same person to come back completely surprised that I closed the deal. Nothing personal. But I no longer listen to other people telling me what someone else will or won’t do and not even having the ****** to offer their own approach to get a deal done. If I did listen I now know it would’ve cost me my career instead of being a top producer ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The more I've thought about it the more IF Gute can swing a trade back and pick up another 2nd or another 3rd and say a 5th in this move as I'd suspect....I'd pick up the phone and say hey Tampa, I got a 3rd and a 7th for OJ. Wouldn't hesitate at all. We still have the draft equity to build but brought in a young TE that could work out to be the future of the position or is a SOLID instant contributor in the offense for two years.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yes, obviously good players need to get paid. The Packers, unfortunately, NEED GOOD RECEIVERS that are worthy of being paid. Why is it a negative that Howard might be good and deserving of a contract? How, in any way, is that worse than having a rookie who probably won't be worth paying for at least 2-3 seasons? I mean, by the time a rookie TE is worth a darn, Rodgers will be near the end of his current contract.

It's not negative in any way but when talking about trading for a player the contract needs to be considered.

OJ Howard is a once in a decade talented TE if we can keep him on the field for 2 seasons.

Howard hasn't proven that he's that kind of talent until now.

There's no way the Buccaneers wouldn’t want to replace their lost #2 RB with a replacement. The only question is if they think he’s a fit.

The problem with your answer to my proposal? is if you don’t ask.. you don’t get. That’s a losing proposition either way IMO. I’d take my chances of working a deal Verses taking your safe position Of burying talents. That gets you nowhere fast.

I would be excited if Gutekunst could acquire Howard for the deal you suggested but realistically the chances are pretty slim the Buccaneers agree to it.

While they will most likely add talent at running back before the start of the season I don't think they will be that excited about the possibility of acquiring Jamaal Williams.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not negative in any way but when talking about trading for a player the contract needs to be considered.

Yes, contracts need to be considered but if the contract becomes something to worry about then it's because the player turned out to be REALLY good; so, by that logic, a potentially expensive contract would be a good thing because it means the Packers have found their TE of the future, right?

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, contracts need to be considered but if the contract becomes something to worry about then it's because the player turned out to be REALLY good; so, by that logic, a potentially expensive contract would be a good thing because it means the Packers have found their TE of the future, right?

You're overlooking the length of the current contract. Howard has at most 2 years left on his deal. A rookie has 4.

And what happens if OJ is above average, but not worth an elite contract? It possible he prices himself out of Green Bay AND THEN turns into an elite player for someone else. All we'd get in return is a 4th round comp pick in return.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Buccaneers have traded for Rob Gronkowski. I guess that means Howard is truly available via trade.

D

Deleted member 6794

Once again, I'm not saying the Packers shouldn't trade for Howard because he will be a free agent after next season but that his contract situation needs to be considered when making a move for him.

In a perfect world teams wouldn't overpay for free agents but taking a look at recent history that has happened to the Packers at tight end with Bennett and Graham recently.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also like that a TE they wanted, their QB wanted and arguably is one of the best (albeit older) ONLY took a 4th. I truly feel if Gute could slide back, pick up some draft equity AND trade for OJ with a 3rd.....call that an old fashioned win no matter how you slice it.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also like that a TE they wanted, their QB wanted and arguably is one of the best (albeit older) ONLY took a 4th. I truly feel if Gute could slide back, pick up some draft equity AND trade for OJ with a 3rd.....call that an old fashioned win no matter how you slice it.

I'm surprised they gave up a 4th, I would have sent a 5th. Gronk has been out of football for....two seasons? Plus he's got a pretty checkered injury history. However, playing in Tampa might help. With the exception of Carolina, he'll have 10+ games in either a dome or South Florida every year.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gronk wasn't going anywhere other than to a party or to play with Brady. and i'm not sure this will be a good version of getting the band back together.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm surprised they gave up a 4th, I would have sent a 5th. Gronk has been out of football for....two seasons? Plus he's got a pretty checkered injury history. However, playing in Tampa might help. With the exception of Carolina, he'll have 10+ games in either a dome or South Florida every year.

Oh I think they were nuts to do a 4th, Patriots yet again fleecing the NFL for picks. I do though think it is an indication possibly I believe OJ is a 3rd.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're overlooking the length of the current contract. Howard has at most 2 years left on his deal. A rookie has 4.

And what happens if OJ is above average, but not worth an elite contract? It possible he prices himself out of Green Bay AND THEN turns into an elite player for someone else. All we'd get in return is a 4th round comp pick in return.

A rookie TE is not that helpful for a team for their first couple of seasons the majority of the time. I'm all about letting other teams pay the player for the development years.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh I think they were nuts to do a 4th, Patriots yet again fleecing the NFL for picks. I do though think it is an indication possibly I believe OJ is a 3rd.
Now that Tampa may be more desperate to part with OJ I wouldn't offer anything more than a 5 & 7. This Gronk trade definitely de-valued OJ, IMHO, as they have less use for him.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now that Tampa may be more desperate to part with OJ I wouldn't offer anything more than a 5 & 7. This Gronk trade definitely de-valued OJ, IMHO, as they have less use for him.

My thoughts exactly. They can have our last 6th and our last 7th. That's at least where I'm starting. Only Bill O'Brien is paying more than a 5th for him now.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Negative, at "best" for us and "worst" for them I see it at a 4th. OJ is younger, has a potential future and is even cheaper to the team most likely depending how Gronk's contract side of things is (I believe something like 9M this year unless he restructures). You are not getting a younger, arguably has the potential to be better for worse compensation.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm surprised they gave up a 4th, I would have sent a 5th. Gronk has been out of football for....two seasons?

Gronkowski didn't play in 2019 but last lined up for the Patriots in their Super Bowl win over the Rams.

A rookie TE is not that helpful for a team for their first couple of seasons the majority of the time. I'm all about letting other teams pay the player for the development years.

With a hard salary cap in place teams have to get production out of a decent amount of players still on their rookie deals.

Negative, at "best" for us and "worst" for them I see it at a 4th. OJ is younger, has a potential future and is even cheaper to the team most likely depending how Gronk's contract side of things is (I believe something like 9M this year unless he restructures).

The Buccaneers will pay Gronkowski a base salary of $9 million this season. He's set to earn another $250K in workout bonuses and $750K in per game roster bonuses.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the news that Tom Brady had something up his sleave the whole time, Rob Gronkowski is a Buc. That could possibly leave Oj Howard as the odd man out at TE in Tampa Bay. Although if I was them is keep Howard and get rid of Brate if faced with that choice. No matter rumors are Howard is available and his value has to sit somewhere right around a 4th round pick.

Would you give up a 4th or 5th round pick for a 6-6 251 pound 25 year old, complete te. He only ran a route on 36% of his 700 or so snaps in 2019. So clearly he was used as the blocking te while Cameron Brate was used as the receiving te. He has vast receiving potential that has been left essentially untapped in Tampa Bay so far. I think it would be an absolute coup to secure him in 2020 for a mid round pick. He fits great with Jace Sternberger as he has proven he can be the online option. And he ran a 4.51 40 with a 6.85 3 cone and 4.16 20 yard shuttle. So as a two te set you would have a lot of options as Sternberger could line up in the backfield in an hback role as well...I say gute should pull the trigger despite the fact that this could be a rental situation as Howard is in a contract year unless his fifth year option is exercised. Which could be the smart gamblers option depending on what the number is. Because I suspect after a season with Rodgers a 26 year old Howard would be in prime position to cash in big time.