official Packers vs Seahawks MNF

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is the kind of attitude that gets us loses. The Packers weren't worried about the Giants either until it was damn near over. You have to be worried about Seattle. The crowd is mean up there, and Russell Wilson can really burn you if you let him.

I do think that our receivers will have an advantage over their DBs because of our experience vs. their youth, but I would not take that advantage for granted.

As in the TNF Bears game, defense will be the big difference between and win and a loss. I hope to see the Seahawks on their backs, begging for the game to be over, obviously but I cannot say I am not worried about them.

Also, I hope that MM gets Benson another 20 touches and he does what he did in the Bears game (or even better!). That will really help to keep the 'Hawks honest and really open up our passing game even more.

LOL nothing any fan thinks about anything gets anyone losses.

Anyway, we're going to play base and pack the box (McMillion should have tons of fun with this) and try to force Wilson to beat us throwing. If they can do this, they could very well beat us. I suspect though that if we can cover Marshal and Jeffrey all day than we can do it with Tate and Rice. Another week of big and slow guys shouldn't worry us too much. On offense, hopefully we'll be able to do what we did with the bears (when they're playing back run the ball) and then we'll run the ball and throw underneath until they play straight up. It seems like most of our game this year will be getting teams to play us the way they did last year and to do that we'll have to do something different.

silkmonkey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seahawks fan here just to weigh in. My local bar/tavern/sports watching place was the Packer bar in Seattle growing up. (Mustard Seed in Newport Hills for those in the area.) Still get beers there from time to time and took my Steelers fan girlfriend there on a first date. Amazing there was a second...

Anyway I've been fired up for this matchup since I realized the schedule meant we got GB at home. I wasn't surprised that it got flexed to Monday night with the obvious Flynn-Rodgers storyline. That didn't happen ;)
I admit to rooting for the Pack to beat the Steelers because hey Pittsburgh can (verb) a (adjective) (noun) (direction) their (part of the body).

Long rambling preview ahead:

I was curious to see Flynn and admit he had good numbers agains the Lions. But I didn't buy the smoke and mirrors. The Packers have a hell of a receiving corps. Some Seattle area fans will try to talk us up but Sidney Rice hasn't stayed healthy for 16 games in 3 years (though he had a heck of a season with some idiot named Brent Favor in Minnesota). Golden Tate is most noteworthy for breaking into a donut shop and being inactive, though losing his job to an (admittedly pretty good) UDFA in Doug Baldwin is pretty close.
I don't fear any one weapon in Green Bay (though Cobb has freaky athleticism) but their success comes from a very effective QB and the fact that at any one moment one guy is probably about to get open. Great route running from what I've seen and the YAC leads to some outlandish numbers.

I think Seattle has a clear edge in the running back game. Cedric Benson has always stuck me as a top..second tier guy. With a home run hitter/big play guy I'd be a lot more worried. I think the Pack missed out on a ridiculous steal for Marshawn, though I'm not sure GB would have been the ideal situation for him or the organization. Seahawks rookie Robert Turbin looks to be pretty decent and his biceps look like my neck. My forecast for monday: skittles showers as Marshawn runs one in.

Defensively, it's no secret what Seattle does. Shut down your run. Oh you had 120 yards last week and a score. You can claw for 40. Red Bryant is a big bad man. His radio voice is hilarious, very soft spoken, but nasty on the field. He's a converted DT (who was a bust at DT) that now holds the edge on running plays and pushes the pile backwards against two or three guys. If he's on, good luck running. Mebane and a host of rotating D linemen provide decent depth. The biggest challenge for the Seahawks D in Weeks 1 and 2 were third down conversions. Pass rush has been problematic, though if you take away a couple of Romo spin-out-of-sack moves the rush was there last week. Linebacking corps is decent; a rookie MLB in Bobby Wagner and one of two players from Super Bowl XL (ugh) in Leroy Hill playing strong side. KJ Wright is the guy to watch from the LB corps. He's quick, explosive and has a good head on his shoulders, not a lot of mental errors this year and has the versatility you want (he played nearly every LB spot as a rookie last year).

The secondary (or Legion of Boom as we like to call them) is capable of scary-good play. 6'4 225, 6'3 212, 6'3 231, 5'10 197. Guess who is who? The DBs are at their best pressing at the line with Browner (39) a CFL vet, and Sherman (25) a second year 5th round pick out of Stanford. Browner is susceptible to double moves after a few lead in plays, but damned if he doesn't end up with picks (8 in 17 career NFL games). Sherman is starting to get his own shut down corner type recognition from the league (held Fitzgerald in week 1 to under 60 yards) and will likely get the task of shutting down Jennings (if healthy) or Nelson. I admit I'll feel better seeing Jennings listed as inactive. Kam Chancellor (31) at SS plays in the box a lot like a "deathbacker" and hits TEs and running backs who go out for passes. He hits like Sean Taylor though doesn't have elite speed. It works because Earl Thomas might be the best safety in the league right now. He has a tendency to play as the center fielders (like a cover 1) but has ridiculous speed to close. He was clocked in the 4.3s pre-draft and you might not see him on the TV copy until a small blue blur hits a green and yellow dude. Or the ball is going the other way.

Anyway thats more than enough for me. Feel free to drop me a line on twitter @aiiye and I'll follow up if anyone would like.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
What a great post by VegasSeahawk - thanks. I can only hope Packers fans who visit other teams' sites (I never have) are as classy and informative. One player he didn't mention was Breno Giacamini. He is starting at RT for the Seahawks, isn't he? During his time in Green Bay, with his size and the way he moved while pass blocking he reminded me of Frankenstein - big and strong but not great feet. I trust he's improved but on obvious passing downs I'd love to see Clay vs. Breno, but I don’t think we'll see Clay one-on-one against anyone Monday night. Still, it's a good thing for the Seahawks Wilson is as mobile as he is. Breno was much better run blocking but OL who struggle pass blocking don't stay in Green Bay long term. I also thought Breno was a bit stiff run blocking against agile DL so I'll be interested to see how he does in both - and of course I'll be disappointed if he's improved a lot!

As a Badger fan I'm very familiar with Wilson - what a smart, talented, and classy kid. I wish him all the luck in the world with the exception of next Monday night of course. His "escapability" matched with a power running game make him dangerous. If Seattle had to rely on the pass more, I'd hope the Packers D could confuse him but my guess is they'll be concentrating mostly on stopping the run.

As a Packers fan, reading Seahawks fans post about their teams lack of a pass rush is music to my ears. The best DBs can't cover forever. And even when they do get a good rush, Rodgers is also very mobile. The best hope for the Seahawks D IMO is that Rodgers doesn't regain his 2011 pin-point accurate form. Also, unless he gets hurt in practice this week, Jennings will be starting.

BTW Einstein McFly: McMillian doesn't start in the base D, Burnett and Woodson are the safeties in the 3-4.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lots of very informative posts Seahawks fans. Gives me a very good idea of a team that I knew little about up until now.

Just one comment: Marshawn Lynch would have cost the Packers too much with big contracts coming up for Greg Jennings, Rodgers and Matthews. Also it's doubtful Lynch would have fit into the Packers' offense as well as he does in Seattle.

Benson vs. Seattle run defense and Lynch vs Packer run defense will be interesting. Benson doesn't need to be as productive as he was last week if the OL buys Rodgers time in the pocket, but he needs to run the ball effectively enough. Packer run defense did pretty well against Chi last week but there were a couple of stretches when I noticed our defense getting pushed back off the line and Bush running for some nice gains.

60six

DIE HARD
Reaction score
I think this game comes down to Lynch and the running game for the Hawks. If the D can keep Wilson in 3rd and long , I like our chances.

On the other side I'd like to see Benson with 15-18 touches and Rodgers getting into a rhythm early.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
This is the kind of attitude that gets us loses. The Packers weren't worried about the Giants either until it was damn near over. You have to be worried about Seattle. The crowd is mean up there, and Russell Wilson can really burn you if you let him.

I do think that our receivers will have an advantage over their DBs because of our experience vs. their youth, but I would not take that advantage for granted.

As in the TNF Bears game, defense will be the big difference between and win and a loss. I hope to see the Seahawks on their backs, begging for the game to be over, obviously but I cannot say I am not worried about them.

Also, I hope that MM gets Benson another 20 touches and he does what he did in the Bears game (or even better!). That will really help to keep the 'Hawks honest and really open up our passing game even more.

WTF ever man. It don't matter what I say, that is MY opinion, it CANNOT change the outcome of a game. OHHHH.....WAIT....My words must be magic.....OMG.....I'm magic now....holy crap. I will put my magic to use and curse all other teams from here on out.....WOOOO....WOOO...WOOO.....

BTW: What I said wasn't bad, stop reading into stuff, it makes YOU look like a tool.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
WTF ever man. It don't matter what I say, that is MY opinion, it CANNOT change the outcome of a game. OHHHH.....WAIT....My words must be magic.....OMG.....I'm magic now....holy crap. I will put my magic to use and curse all other teams from here on out.....WOOOO....WOOO...WOOO.....

BTW: What I said wasn't bad, stop reading into stuff, it makes YOU look like a tool.

What? Aren't you afraid of the "butterfly affect"?;)

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This matchup might feel a little like the 49'r game with a solid run and good d but there are differences. If you remember the 49'rs actually came out throwing the ball to Davis and an improved WR group...and it worked. They then went into run/play action mode and it was uphill.
With iffy pass protection and a rookie QB I don't see the Seahawks risking this kind of attack, or, it being as effective as the 49'rs were. So I think they will have to go out and pound the ball and hope it will open up the play action for Wilson.

Also, the 49r's rush was enough to disrupt Rodgers and they had several sacks that killed drives and if that's a weakness for Seattle you can expect him to finish drives. I don't care how good their DB's are if he has time.

Some of this could be offset by the refs if they don't figure out what defensive holding and interference is. I have seen way to many games where DB's are obviously grabbing jersey's especially far down field and they aren't making the call. Then you see a pass interference call where it looked like the offensive player was making most of the contact.

There's a lot of chatter about how bad they have been.

OP
OP
HyponGrey

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Wow, lots of good informative posts!With all that crowd noise don't expect too much hurry up: audibles won't be. I expect the Seahawks to limit our run game and force Rodgers to pass into tight coverage. It could be just the kick in the pants the Offense needs. And with the limited pass rush It should also help our OL get their heads on straight. I also expect that the TE sets (should Miller recover from his knee injury) and hard running game will make for valuable experience for our young defensive players, especially Smith, Burnett, and the rookies. That's not to say this will be a walk in the park or that it's just a tune up on the way to a championship. This will be a hard fought and exciting game. I can hardly wait! I expect it will be a two score game, but which way is anybodies guess.

As for the refs, seems like we get a bad crew every other week, so I wouldn expect much of anything decent this week.

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I guess what I meant to say was that, that is the kind of attitude that gets us an L in the loss column if the PLAYERS think like that. I should have been more specific.

Now, gently remove your ****** and lets try and get along. Kthnxbai.

H

HardRightEdge

So what's the word on the CenturyLink turf? I'm led to believe new FieldTurf was installed for this season.

Fast track?

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To simplify things if the Seahawks can't create pressure (2 sacks in two games) and they don't pass protect I think they have much more to worry about then the Packers.
It means little to Arod if the opposing D is shutting down the run but can't get to him. There have been a ton of games where we didn't do much in the run game and still won big. I don't care if we don't top 40 yards rushing if they can't get to Rodgers he will light them up.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
^ good call.

I am not very up to date on the seahawks. I know the big names, like flynn, wilson, rice, lynch....but who do they have on their D that is a legit pass rusher? Any real threat to our LT, since that is a weak spot?

OP
OP
HyponGrey

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
^ good call.

I am not very up to date on the seahawks. I know the big names, like flynn, wilson, rice, lynch....but who do they have on their D that is a legit pass rusher? Any real threat to our LT, since that is a weak spot?
Chris Clemons, their RDE. They just drafted a guy out of WVU in the first round named Bruce Irvin, he's fast, but still unproven.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
http://www.seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=50807

LOL.... they are predicting the seahawks win 35-6 and that we dont have decent DB's...lol

Oh yeah, I am from Wisconsin but live in Seattle. Going to the game actually on Monday. Hawk fans are treating this like a super bowl. Everyone is on the bandwagon talking smack. It's disgusting. LOl. I really hope Rodgers comes out and picks them apart.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Here's McGinn's review of the Seahawks.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packfoe20-ou6trfe-170441856.html

Very interesting what he says on the sidebar about why Wilson is starting over Flynn. And I had lost track of Darrell Bevell after he left the Vikings - he's their play-caller. Also of note is the Seahawks blitzed Dallas more in game 2 than they did in game 1. If Rodgers is on, he picks blitzes apart. Actually if Rodgers is on... :D

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hi guys, Seahawk fan here!

I've been watching football for a long time. Long enough that I was actually a die hard Packer fan before I was a die hard Seahawk fan (Seattle didn't get a team until 76). Funny how that works out. It's no surprise then that I've always had a soft spot for the Packers, even to this day. It doesn't hurt that you have classy fans as well.

Here is some info on our team as I see it. I'd love to get some thoughts about your team / players outside the big names I already know so much about. Where do you think you will struggle / excel? Why?

On to the Seahawks..

Defensively, we have an excellent secondary. Brandon Browner gets a lot of love from the media, but Richard Sherman is actually our best CB and a pro-bowl type guy. Kam Chancellor, our starting strong safety and one of my favorite players on the team, is built more like a LB and lays down the wood like one too. Whitten got decked by him in the last game and dropped numerous balls after the hit. Earl Thomas is the big name guy on our defense, and quite honestly, probably one of our best players. Our front four are stout against the run, with Mebane and Red Bryant being the centerpieces in my eyes. Keep an eye on Big Red Bryant, he is a nasty big man who loves to disrupt any and all plays.

The problem with our defense, which I think the Packers will expose quickly, is our inability to get to the passer. To address this, we signed Jason Jones in the offseason for his ability to rush up the gut. We selected Bruce Irvin in the first round, and while he had a .5 sack on Sunday (mostly due to Jason Jones coming up the middle), he hasn't shown much. Chris Clemons is our veteran DE and our best pass rusher.

On offense, you know the drill. Our OL-men are mean and nasty road graters. The fight, spit, punch, and kick their way through the game. Real hard nosed guys. While our running game is explosive, our pass protection has been anything but. You might see PC switch our RG throughout the game. The reason this is interesting is that Seattle selected a DL in the 7th round of this years draft named J.R. Sweezy and converted him to OL. The coaching staff has been really high on this kids potential. He started our first game against Arizona, played poorly (in retrospect he was pretty good for a guy who hasn't played OL before), and split reps with our previous starting RG John Moffit this Sunday against Dallas. If I were GB, I would be looking to exploit J.R. Sweezy's lack of experience.

Our LT Okung has a ton of potential but is always hurt, which has earned him the nickname Russel BrOkung. He sat out last week with a knee contusion. Elvis Dumervill kicked his *** in the preseason as well, so as a Seahawk fan I am quite worried about Clay Matthews. Expect him to have a big day if Okung comes out as slow and stiff as he did in the Arizona game.

Russell Wilson is a rookie, but has more poise than most. He isn't afraid to take a hit and doesn't get rattled. He had great accuracy in the preseason, but routinely sailed balls high during the first game, and through most of the first half on Sunday. When he finally settled down in the 2nd half our offense began to click. He is mobile and will gash your defense if you let him. The good news is that Seattle has been running a really vanilla offense with him. Russell Wilson is an extremely bright kid, so one can only assume that Seattle wants him to "manage" the game and minimize mistakes rather than carry the team on his shoulders. This is why we lean heavily on our run game, so that we do not have to rely on our rookie QB to make all the plays.

Outside of Lynch (who I'm sure you are all familiar with), our rookie Robert "The Hulk" (find a photo of this guy to see why we call him the Hulk) Turbin is a hard powerful runner just like Marshawn Lynch. Leon Washington is our special teams standout and is always a threat to return a punt or kickoff.

Receiver wise I would peg Golden Tate as our best wide out. Most Seahawk fans would point to Sidney Rice, but Tate is going to be huge this year. Doug Bladwin was our best wide-out last year, but he has been relatively quiet thus far. Sidney Rice is great, but he has trouble staying on the field. TE's Zach Miller and Anthony McCoy have both been playing good football but we've rarely run two TE sets.

While I'd love to peg this up as a win for Seattle, I think we will struggle due to our lackluster pass rush. I think GB will have some great opportunity to put a lot of points on the board.

That said, hopefully this Seahawak team will surprise some of you guys and earn some respect. They are tough as nails and fight tooth and nail through the whistle.

So here is to a good game and no injuries to either side!

Good luck, and if Seattle doesn't make the playoffs this year I'll be rooting for you guys all the way.
Very informative post. The Hawks appeared to get enough pressure on Romo last week. The loud crowd may have made a difference. The Packers have not protected Rodgers as well as last season. And he has not escaped as well either. Maybe it's because we faced the 9ers and Bears. We have a number of new faces on the field this year and although they are Green Bay Packers they have never experienced MNF on the road nor the 12th man in Seattle. The Packers have to hope they don't fall into the same trap that the Broncos succumbed to last Monday night. Before they realized it was showtime they had 4 turnovers, clashes with the refs, and down 27-7.
We have to keep the false starts to a maximum of three.

HansGruber

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pretty darn hilarious (in an ironic sense) to see Packers fans saying Seattle fans underrate Packers DBs, then listen to Packer fans talk about our secondary giving up tons of yards/TDs. That's just too rich.

You all have severely misjudged our secondary, they're called the Legion of Boom for a reason. Real big dudes that like to hit really ******* every play, jamming guys at the line, disrupting routes, getting multiple INTs and turnovers every game, and just playing classic smash-mouth football out there. You can't compare us to the 49ers, our secondary is hands-down another step up from them. You haven't experienced anything like it yet.

You probably didn't see what happened to Dallas unless you were at the game, since the TV cameras didn't show it. All those ignorant analysts talking about Dallas dropping the ball and imploding, because they didn't watch the game. They didn't see the Cowboys getting beat up on every down. There's a reason their receivers were all dropping passes, looking upfield before they caught the ball and cowering like girl scouts in a prison yard. Almost every play, our DBs were hitting fools really hard. Anyone who crossed the middle got smacked, whether it was before or after the whistle didn't matter. Seattle DBs were hitting receivers that weren't even targets on the play, bad-*** hard hits that you could hear in the stands. CRACK!! There goes Witten again. Witten got hit so hard and so often, he completely dropped out of the game by the second quarter. Ogletree got clocked a couple times really good, once when he was out-of-bounds, and he started dropping passes too. Dez Bryant was totally off his game because we got in his head too, same thing - when he wasn't dropping passes, he was out there pissed off and trying to throw punches because guys were taking HUGE shots on him almost every down, whether he had the ball or not. Thank god for the scab replacement refs or we would have had a whole ton of penalties.

Do you really honestly believe your receivers are that much tougher than the Dallas corps? You better hope so. Because if we do to Finley what we did to Witten, and we do to Jennings what we did to Bryant and Ogletree, Rodgers is gonna have a hard time finding reliable targets to throw to.

Yeah, Rodgers is gonna put up some yards. But it's gonna come at a price. And just think, y'all still have to play the Cards. Welcome to the new NFC West - home of the most brutal physical defenses in the NFL. Good luck and hope your players find a way to escape the Clink healthy.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We should treat this like we are going into Atlanta for a playoff game a couple of seasons ago.
We came out firing guns and got behind. But then we slowed up Turner and it put the pressure on Matt Ryan and he faltered for the first time all season. Don't play so conservative. Treat this like an up tempo playoff game.Don't put our guns back in the holster until the clock runs out.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Pretty darn hilarious (in an ironic sense) to see Packers fans saying Seattle fans underrate Packers DBs, then listen to Packer fans talk about our secondary giving up tons of yards/TDs. That's just too rich.

You all have severely misjudged our secondary, they're called the Legion of Boom for a reason. Real big dudes that like to hit really ******* every play, jamming guys at the line, disrupting routes, getting multiple INTs and turnovers every game, and just playing classic smash-mouth football out there. You can't compare us to the 49ers, our secondary is hands-down another step up from them. You haven't experienced anything like it yet.

You probably didn't see what happened to Dallas unless you were at the game, since the TV cameras didn't show it. All those ignorant analysts talking about Dallas dropping the ball and imploding, because they didn't watch the game. They didn't see the Cowboys getting beat up on every down. There's a reason their receivers were all dropping passes, looking upfield before they caught the ball and cowering like girl scouts in a prison yard. Almost every play, our DBs were hitting fools really hard. Anyone who crossed the middle got smacked, whether it was before or after the whistle didn't matter. Seattle DBs were hitting receivers that weren't even targets on the play, bad-*** hard hits that you could hear in the stands. CRACK!! There goes Witten again. Witten got hit so hard and so often, he completely dropped out of the game by the second quarter. Ogletree got clocked a couple times really good, once when he was out-of-bounds, and he started dropping passes too. Dez Bryant was totally off his game because we got in his head too, same thing - when he wasn't dropping passes, he was out there pissed off and trying to throw punches because guys were taking HUGE shots on him almost every down, whether he had the ball or not. Thank god for the scab replacement refs or we would have had a whole ton of penalties.

Do you really honestly believe your receivers are that much tougher than the Dallas corps? You better hope so. Because if we do to Finley what we did to Witten, and we do to Jennings what we did to Bryant and Ogletree, Rodgers is gonna have a hard time finding reliable targets to throw to.

Yeah, Rodgers is gonna put up some yards. But it's gonna come at a price. And just think, y'all still have to play the Cards. Welcome to the new NFC West - home of the most brutal physical defenses in the NFL. Good luck and hope your players find a way to escape the Clink healthy.

You really think our Wr arent better than Dallas?

Witten only had 2 catches when they beat Giants..Witten is also 30 years old, and before the Seattle game, some talk if he was slowing down

You mention it is good thing the replacements refs were there or would have had penalties..I think Tate got a huge fine..So I am HOPING the league warns the officials to watch for that type of activity especially on a Monday night Game..

If the refs see it happening and put a stop to it right away, there might not be the type of hits your talking about

Just recall the SB we won..People talked how Pitts would beat us up..turns out we were just as physical as them

GL!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts