Measuring Up.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As the Denver Broncos and Seattle Seahawks prepare to do battle in the Super Bowl a week from Sunday the Packers, like 29 other NFL teams, will be watching the game like hundreds of millions of fans. But it isn't the purpose of the Packers to be spectators. In Titletown they are expected to be participants.

They did get it done 3 years ago but since have been eliminated in the playoffs every year short of the conference championship game. As they and we look to changing that next season a place to start might be to look at the Packers in comparison to the Super Bowl teams and see whether and how our team measures up.

There aren't more than about 7 players on the current Green Bay team who would be starters for either the Broncos or Seahawks.

While Denver and Seattle are certainly happy with the quarterbacks they have either one would gladly swap out for Aaron Rodgers. He's younger and more athletic than Peyton and possesses a more complete skill set than Russell Wilson.

Seattle probably wouldn't trade Marshawn Lynch for Eddie Lacy but the Broncos have probably done some second guessing about passing on him for Montee Ball in the draft last year.

I've got to think the Seahawks wouldn't feel better about having Randall Cobb, Jordy Nelson and maybe also James Jones as their receiving corps going into this game and the Packers' set could certainly give worthy competition to Denver's talented group.

Guard Josh Sitton would probably win a spot on either team's offensive line. And you've got to think Clay Matthews would flourish on the Broncos defense; although I don't think he would fit the scheme in Seattle.

So when you look at the areas where the Packers don't measure up to the Super Bowl champs it's easy to see where the deficiencies in personnel are. All Green Bay needs to get back to the Super Bowl is a defense and o-line. I hope Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy are thinking along similar lines.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Bulaga comes back at RT close to his 2011 form and Bahk goes through that rookie to sophomore jump McCarthy is always talking about ( putting on some extra bulk would probably be step one) then this offensive line would be more than good enough. Most likely a top 10 offensive line.

This is also assuming EDS is resigned.

OP
OP
P

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Bulaga comes back at RT close to his 2011 form and Bahk goes through that rookie to sophomore jump McCarthy is always talking about ( putting on some extra bulk would probably be step one) then this offensive line would be more than good enough. Most likely a top 10 offensive line.

The key word in your reply is "IF." But I agree that IF Bulaga and Sherrod can get and stay healthy, Bakthiari continues to develop, Dietrich-Smith is resigned and Tretter lives up to hopes the o-line doesn't loom as a liability and could quickly to to upper tier level.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The key word in your reply is "IF." But I agree that IF Bulaga and Sherrod can get and stay healthy, Bakthiari continues to develop, Dietrich-Smith is resigned and Tretter lives up to hopes the o-line doesn't loom as a liability and could quickly to to upper tier level.

we saw glimpses of how good they can be at times all year this year. if Rodgers stays healthy, I honestly think this next year is going to be a great year offensively.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've got to think the Seahawks wouldn't feel better about having Randall Cobb, Jordy Nelson and maybe also James Jones as their receiving corps going into this game and the Packers' set could certainly give worthy competition to Denver's talented group.
^ I don't comprehend that ^

Please re-read, and re-explain what you are saying about the receiving group.
You have the word "wouldn't" in there...... what does that mean?

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As the Denver Broncos and Seattle Seahawks prepare to do battle in the Super Bowl a week from Sunday the Packers, like 29 other NFL teams, will be watching the game like hundreds of millions of fans. But it isn't the purpose of the Packers to be spectators. In Titletown they are expected to be participants.

They did get it done 3 years ago but since have been eliminated in the playoffs every year short of the conference championship game. As they and we look to changing that next season a place to start might be to look at the Packers in comparison to the Super Bowl teams and see whether and how our team measures up.

There aren't more than about 7 players on the current Green Bay team who would be starters for either the Broncos or Seahawks.

While Denver and Seattle are certainly happy with the quarterbacks they have either one would gladly swap out for Aaron Rodgers. He's younger and more athletic than Peyton and possesses a more complete skill set than Russell Wilson.

Seattle probably wouldn't trade Marshawn Lynch for Eddie Lacy but the Broncos have probably done some second guessing about passing on him for Montee Ball in the draft last year.

Guard Josh Sitton would probably win a spot on either team's offensive line. And you've got to think Clay Matthews would flourish on the Broncos defense; although I don't think he would fit the scheme in Seattle.

So when you look at the areas where the Packers don't measure up to the Super Bowl champs it's easy to see where the deficiencies in personnel are. All Green Bay needs to get back to the Super Bowl is a defense and o-line. I hope Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy are thinking along similar lines.
I disagree.

On my phone's internet if I type in "injuries" the first suggestion from Google is "injuries Packers". What does that say about this team? I'm about to use a lot of "ifs" here so I apologize in advance if I'm making some unrealistic jumps. But if you follow line by line I think it will make sense.

The Packers played the 49ers very close. Very close. I think the Packers out physicaled them throughout the game with Eddie Lacy, James Starks and defense. The Packers were riddled with injuries. The 49ers were relatively healthy. Frank Rizzo, a fellow member has said mysteriously so. So I think if the Packers were healthy they would have won. The 49ers would go on to play Seattle to the last play of the game. Who's to say we don't pull that game out with a better quarterback and running game? Par a bad call we went in there and won last year?

If those scenarios were to play out we're in the Super Bowl. Contrary to popular belief there isn't a huge drop off from them to us. Especially considering injuries. Their quarterback still struggles passing, their running back is basically the same as ours plus 100,000 miles. Our old tackle cast off they picked up is poor.

Not to take anything away from them, the 12th man and the legion of boom is legit. But I can't help but feeling injures aside their talent is negligibly better...

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
All Green Bay needs to get back to the Super Bowl is a defense and o-line.
Got a kick out of this - that's "ALL" they need. If healthy I don't think the Packers are that far behind and the last 49ers game is evidence of that. Obviously some holes on D need to be filled, particularly safety IMO.

H

HardRightEdge

I donno but I was told in these pages in the immediate emotional aftermath that the key to our beating SF would have been Rodgers playing better, and he doesn't block or tackle anybody. Go figure.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree.

On my phone's internet if I type in "injuries" the first suggestion from Google is "injuries Packers". What does that say about this team? I'm about to use a lot of "ifs" here so I apologize in advance if I'm making some unrealistic jumps. But if you follow line by line I think it will make sense.
Actually, I think it says more about how smart Google is.

But your point is valid.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I disagree.

It means that Google knows you are a Packer fan because of the sites you go to on your phone. Welcome to the age of information technology tracking. Google tracks the pages you go to and then pulls up what might interest you most when you type something like that in.

Go to a home depot page and look up lawn mowers. Then go to Facebook and you will see adds on the right for .........Lawn mowers.

H

HardRightEdge

It means that Google knows you are a Packer fan because of the sites you go to on your phone. Welcome to the age of information technology tracking. Google tracks the pages you go to and then pulls up what might interest you most when you type something like that in.

Go to a home depot page and look up lawn mowers. Then go to Facebook and you will see adds on the right for .........Lawn mowers.
Right.

I get in order:

"injuries"...probably because of some recent research on WebMD and the like
"injuries nfl"...because I look at a lot of NFL stuff, not just the Packers
"injuries in football"...same as above
"injuries on wipeout"...that one's hard to figure

For those who live the unexamined life, these guys know you better than you do.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I use GMail and if I send an email to a friend and mention I would like to go to Tahiti some day, the ads will also reflect that. Does it bother me they are scanning the content of my emails? No. Not really.

Think about this, buy something at the grocery store and use your credit card. The back of the receipt will have coupons for competing products of things you buy. The CC now has a list of things you like to buy. Your advertising mailers are tailored to what you like, but you rarely get coupons for things you already buy.

Google now has partnership with most of the major CC. The data they have on you is amazing. Your google searches will be that much more clever in tailoring to your tastes and spending habits.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Good point. But I closed all my open tabs and deleted my browser history, cookies etc. and I still got the same results. Almost identically similar to Hard Right Edge.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-01-25-13-52-13.png
    Screenshot_2014-01-25-13-52-13.png
    145.2 KB · Views: 56

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There was a story I heard somewhere-maybe the Dave Ramsey show.

A teenage girl was in college and a Target was near her dorm. So, she obviously stopped in often to pick things up after classes and such. At home now (where her parents live) they kept getting junk mail sent to them with her name on it for Target. She must have been paying on a card with the store and gave them her old address they figured. Months go by and all of a sudden the mail that comes from Target starts to be all baby stuff. Baby clothes, baby food etc. The dad is thinking what the hell, so he calls his daughter.

"Is there anything you want to tell me?" he asks, "we've been getting all this junk mail for you for baby stuff" She informs her dad that no, in fact she is not expecting a baby. Relieved, he finishes the call with her and hangs up. Two weeks later he gets a call from her..

"I'm pregnant"

The store knew (based on her buying habits) before she did.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There was a story I heard somewhere-maybe the Dave Ramsey show.

A teenage girl was in college and a Target was near her dorm. So, she obviously stopped in often to pick things up after classes and such. At home now (where her parents live) they kept getting junk mail sent to them with her name on it for Target. She must have been paying on a card with the store and gave them her old address they figured. Months go by and all of a sudden the mail that comes from Target starts to be all baby stuff. Baby clothes, baby food etc. The dad is thinking what the hell, so he calls his daughter.

"Is there anything you want to tell me?" he asks, "we've been getting all this junk mail for you for baby stuff" She informs her dad that no, in fact she is not expecting a baby. Relieved, he finishes the call with her and hangs up. Two weeks later he gets a call from her..

"I'm pregnant"

The store knew (based on her buying habits) before she did.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmir...teen-girl-was-pregnant-before-her-father-did/

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score

I trust our current OL without Bulaga more than I trust Seattle's current line. Wilson is lucky he's quick.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For those that think we need to improve our o line, what position(s) do you see issues at?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
IMO right tackle and depth.

We hope Bulaga can stay healthy, we hope Tretter lives up to expectations, we hope Sherrod is actually healthy and lives up to his draft position, we hope Bakhtiari not only avoids the sophomore slump but improves his strength, we hope they realize getting rid of Marshall Newhouse would be 'addition by subtraction' (at least I do). Even with all that uncertainty I'm not all that concerned about the OL because I think it's likely someone better than Barclay will be starting at both OTs and I think it's likely the depth on the OL will be better.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Good point. But I closed all my open tabs and deleted my browser history, cookies etc. and I still got the same results. Almost identically similar to Hard Right Edge.

It'd be better to use a friends computer that isn't into football for a test. They already have your data from your computer and making it the first thing you do. They already have ya marked.

Packers are a good football team enough said

OP
OP
P

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
^ I don't comprehend that ^

Please re-read, and re-explain what you are saying about the receiving group.
You have the word "wouldn't" in there...... what does that mean?

It's a bit of understatement. Seattle has capable receivers to win a Super Bowl but they are without Percy Harvin and Sidney Rice due to injuries and a potential liability for them is in their capability of "taking the top" off the defense with deep, downfield threat; which the Packer receiving corps can do.

OP
OP
P

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For those that think we need to improve our o line, what position(s) do you see issues at?

I think the perfect illustration is what happened late in the San Francisco playoff. Down near the goal line late in the fourth qtr. with a chance to take the lead they couldn't move their opponent off the line or break open a hole for a big back and had to settle for a field goal to tie. And then the Packers lost the game on a last second field goal.

The Packers went through the 2013 season with two first round draft picks on the shelf with knee injuries, two street free agents playing the center and right tackle spots, and a rookie playing unscheduled on the left side because the intended starter was on IR. And for depth they had Marshall Newhouse.

It's frankly astonishing that the line was as good as it was all things considered.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the perfect illustration is what happened late in the San Francisco playoff. Down near the goal line late in the fourth qtr. with a chance to take the lead they couldn't move their opponent off the line or break open a hole for a big back and had to settle for a field goal to tie. And then the Packers lost the game on a last second field goal.

The Packers went through the 2013 season with two first round draft picks on the shelf with knee injuries, two street free agents playing the center and right tackle spots, and a rookie playing unscheduled on the left side because the intended starter was on IR. And for depth they had Marshall Newhouse.

It's frankly astonishing that the line was as good as it was all things considered.
So what positions do you see as a need to improve? Just depth? The whole line? Tackle?

GreenDeath

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So what positions do you see as a need to improve? Just depth? The whole line? Tackle?

I personally feel like we need to add a pass rusher or two, even with Clay healthy we don't get enough of a push up front. Overall depth at the ILB position and offensive line would be nice. And better play from our corners, they had a very un-Packer like year. Or maybe I've just been spoiled by Woodson and Harris.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I personally feel like we need to add a pass rusher or two, even with Clay healthy we don't get enough of a push up front. Overall depth at the ILB position and offensive line would be nice. And better play from our corners, they had a very un-Packer like year. Or maybe I've just been spoiled by Woodson and Harris.
I was just talking about the o line, the rest is too much to get into in 1 post.

I think maybe a back up guard late in the draft would be nice. I was pretty content with our o line last season and with 2 tackles coming back into the fold I think it will have some depth. We might even have our starting center already under contract and not need eds. Obviously drafting a back up would be needed

D

Deleted member 6794

We might even have our starting center already under contract and not need eds. Obviously drafting a back up would be needed

I don't like the idea of going into the season with two centers who haven't played a single down in the league. Re-sign EDS.

Members online

Latest posts