Nick Perry's Preseason

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I gotta say, he looked a lot better than I thought he would against the Chargers. Obviously had the one sack, but also generally seems to be a big solid guy who gets at least a good push into the pocket on most every play.

It should be interesting seeing him progress through the season. Anyone else see anything good or bad out of him Thursday night?

Reaction score
I though he looked real solid. He bull rushed and helped collapse the pocket. Everything I could ask of him. He still is a work in progress but the talent is absolutely there.

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
I'm a huge Nick Perry fan, so I'm biased. However, I thought he showed explosive strength, which is very impressive for a rookie. He has the raw physical talent to emerge as a very good to great player, it will just be a matter of personal motivation and coaching as to how far he takes himself. So far, so good, though. Perry and Mathews will be a nice combination. Now we just need another defensive linemen to step up from the fray.

CheeseHead87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His bull-rushing has been really impressive. I really think his greatest contribution will be how much pressure he takes off of Clay.

B-ri

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's good to see Perry playing well and making an impact but let's remember that the OT he went up against in SD is just awful. Still, he's shown more in a family night scrimmage + preseason game than we've ever seen from Walden/Jones/Zombo ... So that's promising.

H

HardRightEdge

Among the young guys, I thought House was the most impressive until he got hurt. Perry had the nice assist with the bull rush, which was actually a Matthews sack...the QB took a dive when he saw Matthews closing fast. Otherwise Perry looked solid; not bad for the first time out.

The young safeties...all I can say is a lot more work needs to be done.

Datko and Taylor...good thing they're working with that 2.5 second clock in camp.

I liked the way Tyler ran hard after the first couple of carries. Seeing a guy get warmed up by taking a couple shots and then picking up the pace is always a good sign.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's good to see Perry playing well and making an impact but let's remember that the OT he went up against in SD is just awful.

The chargers tackle he was beating for the first part of the game is a 4 year starter at that position for the chargers. May not be top 3 or an elite tackle but its not like he's just some warm body either.

W

wxman2003

If you read what most pro scouts said after that game, you would discover just how average his play was. He got pushed around a lot, was lost trying to cover players. I would say without hesitation, the Chargers defensive rookies played a whole lot better than the Packers. Perry may turn out to be a good player. He is not that now. He had 1 sack. Whoopee. Even AJ Hawk looks good once a game.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perry still playing slow, there was a criticism i read on JSONLINE that he isn't at the point where he can just react to a play and play at full-game-speed...once he learns more and gets more experience, we can judge him accordingly...just way too early to get negative on the guy

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
If you read what most pro scouts said after that game, you would discover just how average his play was. He got pushed around a lot, was lost trying to cover players. I would say without hesitation, the Chargers defensive rookies played a whole lot better than the Packers. Perry may turn out to be a good player. He is not that now. He had 1 sack. Whoopee. Even AJ Hawk looks good once a game.

Perry pushed the pocket several times. True, it's a first preseason game, but he showed talent. Will you please post a link to "most of the pro scouts" that were talking about how average his play was? I've read quite a bit that says the exact opposite, and of course I saw it for myself. Just because the Chargers two main rookies played better doesn't mean anything. Ingram was viewed as one of the best pass rushers in the draft, and was drafted 18 overall. Honestly, he is expected to be better, and is a truly unique talent. Comparing Perry to their 2nd round defensive linemen is apples and oranges and pointless anyway.

Anyone that knows anything about football knows that not much can be said about the entire preseason as a whole, and ultimately, even the first several years. However, Perry did not look bad. He showed NFL strength and talent, which is impressive as a rookie. Even if he looked bad, it wouldn't mean anything. The fact that he didn't is even better. He doesn't need to be great, he just needs to be good. Anything beyond that will be a bonus. Anything Ingram does has no bearing on Perry, especially considering the lousy offensive linemen he was mostly going against: a rookie 7th round pick in Datko and a journeymen who hasn't even played in awhile in Taylor. Datko has struggled all throughout training camp, especially at pass blocking. It's not surprising at all he was schooled by a superior talent.

H

HardRightEdge

Perry pushed the pocket several times. True, it's a first preseason game, but he showed talent. Will you please post a link to "most of the pro scouts" that were talking about how average his play was? I've read quite a bit that says the exact opposite, and of course I saw it for myself. Just because the Chargers two main rookies played better doesn't mean anything. Ingram was viewed as one of the best pass rushers in the draft, and was drafted 18 overall. Honestly, he is expected to be better, and is a truly unique talent. Comparing Perry to their 2nd round defensive linemen is apples and oranges and pointless anyway.

Anyone that knows anything about football knows that not much can be said about the entire preseason as a whole, and ultimately, even the first several years. However, Perry did not look bad. He showed NFL strength and talent, which is impressive as a rookie. Even if he looked bad, it wouldn't mean anything. The fact that he didn't is even better. He doesn't need to be great, he just needs to be good. Anything beyond that will be a bonus. Anything Ingram does has no bearing on Perry, especially considering the lousy offensive linemen he was mostly going against: a rookie 7th round pick in Datko and a journeymen who hasn't even played in awhile in Taylor. Datko has struggled all throughout training camp, especially at pass blocking. It's not surprising at all he was schooled by a superior talent.

DP, I agree with that perspective when evaluating talent. Whether some guy on another team is better than this guy is a matter for fantasy football leagues and postseason awards. The question with Perry is whether he will do what we need him to do in the context of our defense. That book is still wide open, but it has absolutely nothing to do with what Ingram does for SD.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Now if we could just get one of our 23,534 defensive lineman to stand up.
Clay Matthews recently said in an interview that the Packers pass rush was back. He mentions Perry but also the D-line. I think the line is much improved. They have some active rushers and a few run stuffers. A nice balance for Dom to play with. I feel pretty good about what I've seen and heard.
Really am not going to be too critical of Perry, he's got alot to absorb with a big position change but what I've seen indicates he'll only get better with time. There is no question the physical tools are there.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I though he looked real solid. He bull rushed and helped collapse the pocket. Everything I could ask of him. He still is a work in progress but the talent is absolutely there.

That's what I loved about him against SD. He is different from Matthews and if this continues will provide a much needed change up in the pass rush. Brute strength (Perry) with all around elite talent (Matthews).

Perry still has a load of work to do though. He has a long way but the potential is certainly there.

Could be one of the nastier 1-2's in the league sooner than later.