Nate Solder And The Patriots O-line Coach...

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watching the Patriots game and Wow! Really wish we moved up a few spaces and took Nate Solder instead of Sherrod. This kid is a beast and I had a feeling he was gonna be something special. He's already starting and completely dominating. On another note, but similar note... you gotta give props to New Englands O-line coach. He got a rookie ready to start and give Brady hours in that pocket still. Something I wish we could do with Rodgers. If Rodgers could stand back there like brady does, we'd win 3 titles in a row!

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brady gets a ridiculous amount of time, I counted 10 seconds on one throw, 10 SECONDS! No defensive backfield in history could cover receivers that long.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Might be coaching more than the player. Just wonder if Camp has what it takes to develop an OL.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Whenever I see a post or hear a fan say the Packers should have drafted so-and-so I think that would be much more valid if that was posted/said anytime before the draft up to opening day. After that, it's easy to second guess GMs after the fact. I don't mean to be picking on Cheesehead625 as lots of fans engage in second guessing, I am just using this thread to make a point: IMO you have to consider the cost when proposing a trade-up.

Beyond the second-guessing aspect, I have a couple of problems with this proposal. First, the Packers would have had to move up more than "a few" spots to get Solder, it would have taken a move up from 32 to 17, assuming NE was willing to trade that pick. According to some draft pick value charts the 17th pick is worth 950 points and the 32nd pick is worth 590, so approximately another 360 points of value would have had to be traded to get up to pick 17. Those charts of course aren't exact but I think they give fans an idea of what it would take to move up in the draft. For example in one of the best trade-ups in NFL history, Ted Thompson gave up 890 points of value (picks 41, 73, and 83) in return for 726.6 of value (picks 26 and 162) and grabbed pro bowler Clay Matthews. That pick was obviously worth a lot more than the 163.4 point difference. Back to the most recent draft: Rather than saying it would have been great to move up to grab Solder, the question IMO is would it have been worth trading the chance to draft Sherrod (590 points), Cobb (270) and pick #129 (43) which turned into TE DJ Williams and LB DJ Smith. And keep in mind the Packers would still have been short 47 points so more picks may have been required. Even after watching Solder play one game, today who would trade Sherrod, Cobb, DJ Williams and DJ Smith for Solder? I wouldn't.

The other problem I have with it is Solder has played exactly one regular season game. How will he compare to Sherrod two or three seasons from now? Even if Solder is still better what if Sherrod is an above average LT by then? What if Cobb's performance in his first NFL game is truly a foreshadowing of his career? It's possible his acquisition alone will be more important to the Packers than Solder's will be to New England. And of course Williams and Smith both have a shot at legitimate NFL careers.

Of course I'd love to be certain Sherrod will adequately replace Clifton and be a solid LT for the foreseeable future and while I believe that will be the case, I'm not certain. But even with the hindsight one regular season game provides I wouldn’t make the trade proposed.

BTW, I am not a big fan of Campen and IMO Thompson, McCarthy and staff have made more mistakes regarding the OL than any other position group. But Sitton and Bulaga developed under the Campen and the current staff.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To move up we would certainly have had to give up a second rounder. So we wouldn't have Cobb. We'll see how all this works out. I think Sherrod will develop and we have a replacement for Driver with Cobb.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watching the Patriots game and Wow! Really wish we moved up a few spaces and took Nate Solder instead of Sherrod. This kid is a beast and I had a feeling he was gonna be something special. He's already starting and completely dominating. On another note, but similar note... you gotta give props to New Englands O-line coach. He got a rookie ready to start and give Brady hours in that pocket still. Something I wish we could do with Rodgers. If Rodgers could stand back there like brady does, we'd win 3 titles in a row!
Like you said, their OL coach is unbelievable. Campen is unbelievable also, but let's not get in there.

They had a gameplan just for Solder. They would leave him 1-on-1 with Wake, but they didn't ask Solder to do much, to pick up blitzes... Solder's only job was to neutralize Wake. He has the physical tools to excell 1-on-1, and that's what he did, he drove Wake to the ground and fell on top of him. They trusted the other guys would take care of the rest.

It was a great plan, but if they play a defense like ours, that has multiple looks, he won't be able to play on Matthews all day long.

As for Sherrod, you need to remember this guy never played in a 3 point stance in college! And he had only 1 month to learn how to in the pros. It's too early to say anything about Sherrod, the guy has one of the quickest feet I've seen coming out of college.

OP
OP
ThePerfectBeard

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I didn't think of what it would have cost in this draft... was thinking other drafts, but you're right. However, I don't think i'm wrong about their o-line coach. And why if they game planned to stop just cameron wake, did they not just rush more to that side?