Moving Up

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow. That's very interesting. Very thorough. Fascinating piece in there where he speculates on the effect the Trey Lance trade might have had on San Francisco's Super Bowl, a couple of months ago. Intriguing bit of "connecting the dots that might have been".

I was a little surprised with all that deep-diving, he couldn't find any time for the Jordan Love trade-up, but honestly, that's probably not as relevant to the majority of NFL fans as it is to us Cheesheads.

I just loved the way he broke down the total absence of rational reasoning (not to mention basic arithmetic) we saw on Day One with those Vikings trades. So many draft "experts" were ga-ga over those deals, because they looked really shiny and exciting if you only have a 30-second attention span, but like several of us on this board, Barnwell points out that it was utterly foolish to give up so many picks (over the span of two full drafts) for just one edge rusher. I love reading articles about the Vikings that use words such as "disaster", "mirage of mirages", "nightmare", and "huge mistake." :laugh:
I spend a fair amount of time listening to the talking heads on Sirius XM NFL Network and it's been very noticeable this week how little I'm hearing about the Packers, especially seeing that we had a large number of top 100 picks. About the only thing I've heard Packer related is when they are talking about the philosophy of Atlanta drafting Penix.

Charlie Weis did say yesterday that he thought Dane Brugler's assessment of the Packers being the 6th best team in the NFL was a little too high. Everyone is convinced the Lions are better than us.
We're still a little under the radar league wide it appears and Gutekunst is well under the radar.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Imo, it's a bit disingenuous to compare successful team's starters to bad teams starters. They aren't equal imo. Also, drafting 25th in every round is far different than drafting 5th in every round.
Unless the draft success numbers take these variables into the equation, the final number is very sketchy imo.

Certainly. I prefer nuance.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Charlie Weis did say yesterday that he thought Dane Brugler's assessment of the Packers being the 6th best team in the NFL was a little too high. Everyone is convinced the Lions are better than us.
We're still a little under the radar league wide it appears and Gutekunst is well under the radar.
I'm honestly not entirely sure how to slot us. On one hand, we were one of the final 4 in the NFC, which implies we're at least 8th best. I also think we got hot at just the right time and that could be an over-achievement.

New defensive scheme, new running back, and we still don't entirely know where Watson is. Top 10, yes. More specific than that? I'm not entirely sure yet.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree whole-heartily. There is not enough consistency in our roster/coaching staff to nail down a prediction. I'd widen the net to Top-15 by saying that any one of, or all of, our receiving corps could hit a sophomore slump (except the two that were already sophomores). I have tons of excitement and muted expectations for this season, but am aware that the sobering reality of sports could easily win out.

Members online

Latest posts