MLF had better use a lot of shotgun 4/5 WR single back/empty set

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man I'll tell you I don't think I've ever yelled at the TV that much telling a coach to stop running the old tight I-formation garbage with the QB just constantly going under center.

I mean, credit Brian Flores where due, but any DC should be able to do that when the man on the other side is calling predictable sets and allowing him to stay in his base defense most of the game without needing any extra DBs out there. LaFleur needs to take note of this and instead of using slow TEs or wonky old I-formation bootleg calls use that shotgun to get firing those quick drags or slants and then allow Rodgers to go chucking it deep like he likes. Running the ball is all well and good but keep trying to do it out of those stack formations and DCs know what's coming.

Anyhow, Rams just the blueprint of what not to do in today's league.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rams offence has been widely praised all season and suddenly one game later is a "blueprint of what not to do"?

Surely having a no back set is obvious indication of a pass play? I'd rather have backs catching short passes or having more catch and run's to keep D's guessing.

Anyway, over reliance on any single type of play scheme is not the way to go.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dull game, unless you're a fan of punting....

Jared Goff looked like the moment may have been too big for him, and his O-line certainly didn't help him out. Brady didn't look all that sharp either, but, not surprisingly, came up big when he had too. I'm not a Patriots fan, but you have to respect what they've done.

For the Rams, it was an opportunity wasted......Quarterback on a rookie contract, team loaded with high-priced free agents, and not a lot of injuries by season's end. That won't always be the case.....

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rams offence has been widely praised all season and suddenly one game later is a "blueprint of what not to do"?

Surely having a no back set is obvious indication of a pass play? I'd rather have backs catching short passes or having more catch and run's to keep D's guessing.

Anyway, over reliance on any single type of play scheme is not the way to go.

Well maybe I'm just more a believer of forcing defensive coordinators to have to constantly get out of their base schemes because my feeling is they don't like having to do that ... Well at least not unless they want to play shell coverage all game or something. 4 WRs spread with one RB can be effective for running because then they have to constantly be ready for a pass while also having to watch for a run or draw. Sure seems like offenses don't run out of that formation often enough, particularly not last night. But 5 wide can also work, assuming they're all smaller or at least faster WRs and not TEs.

Packer96

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you watched the wrong offense last night, I wish we ran the Pats offense and used their personnel packages.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The team that was patient with the run and dictated the flow of the game won, and this guy thinks we need to do the opposite LOL

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rams were predictable and play calling was atrocious. As a fan, I was calling their 5 step drop back passes correctly much of the game. What do you think Belicheck was able to do? Rams needed to use screens, slants, draws and other quick hitting plays. Nada, they stuck to their game plan and it worked big time. Goff was scared and McVay was stubborn and unimaginative in his play calling. They abandoned the run game for slow developing pass plays with a qb that doesn't have great mobility. Talk about poor coaching. Belicheck wins because he always takes what the other team gives him.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Rams ran every play you just mentioned,most were blown up by the defense. They tried going downfield because the defense was playing everything up close to stop all that you just mentioned. The problem was they couldn’t run,they couldn’t hit quick stuff and they couldn’t protect Goff to hit much downfield either.

They couldn’t get any first downs. That makes it incredibly hard to get anything going. When you call a delayed handoff and your guy get clotheslined for a 4 yard loss you’re behind the chains to start.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
shotgun and empty backfield is one of our biggest problems. it only means one thing is coming. i've said forever that rodgers needs to work from under center more. anything can happen from that formation. passes can actually come out faster. it makes all the motion more relevant. if shotgun and empty backfield is a huge part of the O (as it has been for the last 10 years) it means rodgers didn't buy-in and nothing has really changed.

Members online

Latest posts