Left Field Picks

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Through three years with Brian Gutekunst, the drafts have been nothing if not surprising.

Whether fans were happy or outraged at the picks, very few people anticipated that the team would select Jaire Alexander, Rashan Gary, Darnell Savage, or Jordan Love.

And yet, year after year, we talk ourselves into a small cluster of players as the only logical options for the Packers.

So this year, who are the guys that are largely off the fan base's radar who could potentially have their name called late Thursday night? Here are some dart throws.

Dyami Brown, WR, UNC: Brown's evaluation has been unusual, because some analysts have watched him and noted how simplistic his offense has been with the Tarheels, while others have chosen to focus on the translatable traits that could help him succeed far beyond the bounds of said offense. I have seen some suggestions that there are teams that rank Brown as their 4th WR in the class. So it's possible that the NFL is much higher on him than the media. His 8.38 RAS would qualify him as a "Packers type" and he won't turn 22 until November.

Walker Little, OT, STAN: Playing 1 game in your final two years of college football will certainly drop you off the radar, but that's what a knee injury (2019) and Covid hysteria (2020) will do for a person. Little's pedigree is about as good as it gets, and in 2018 (and for one game in '19), he gave every indication that he was on his way to being a high end OT prospect. His 4.59/7.44 results in the agilities crushed the Packers' thresholds. He's one of the draft's biggest wildcards.

Milton Williams, iDL, LAT: The Packers have shown a willingness to invest in elite athletes who need to be developed. Williams is certainly that. And while he certainly is not Aaron Donald as a football player, he does have similar athlete tools. It's not completely impossible that the team wouldn't consider trying to draft and develop a poor man's version of the league's best defensive player.

Payton Turner, ED, HOU: If the Packers board is cleared out, I could imagine them just settling for a pass rusher, especially with the high probability that this is Preston Smith's last season. Turner is about as freaky and talented as it gets at the position, and he was not unproductive in college. There are actually a number of high caliber athletes at edge rusher that fit this description: Jaelen Phillips (MIA), Joe Tryon (UW), Boogie Basham (WF).

Baron Browning, LB/ED, OSU:
Where the Fangio/Staley defense has been executed at a high level, they have typically used a true stand-up speed rusher on the outside who can drop (think Leonard Floyd). Browning has been an off-ball SAM and MIKE for the Buckeyes, but has also rushed at times, with a good deal of success. I think he is much closer to being in reality what people imagine Zaven Collins to be as a prospect. I recommend his mockdraftable web. It's basically a filled in circle.

Jevon Holland, DB, OR: The PAC12's irrational cowardice in how they handled the 2020 season cost a lot of their prospects some notoriety. Holland is one-- he was ascending in a big way, but fell off the radar when he didn't play this most recent season. As an 18 year old, he played safety for the Ducks in 2018 and had 5 interceptions and 6 PBU. They moved him to slot corner in 2019, and as a 19 year old he had 4 interceptions and 4 PBU (plus 4.5 TFL and some PR production). As a teenager, he was one of the best and most productive DB's in a power five conference. He tested with a 9.54 RAS. He may have outside corner ability (we don't know what Oregon would have done with him in 2021), but we know he has safety/slot skills. He could push Sullivan off the field, be interchangeable with Savage, and offer ST value. He's being slept on.

So there you have it. Don't say you weren't warned.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Holland is very good and I completely agree if I were to make a list of guys I just don't see coming he and Browning would for sure be on it.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Of these out of the box names, I don't think I'd be upset with any of them.

Walker Little and Jevon Holland would be exciting guys to me, in that I think their upside is really high, but they could help right away.

Some guys that you don't see mocked to GB too often that I would not be excited about:

Eric Stokes, CB, UGA
Tyson Campbell, CB, UGA
Kelvin Joseph, CB, UK
Levi Onwuzurike, iDL, UW
Gregory Rousseau, ED, MIA
Nick Bolton, LB, MIZZ

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Of these out of the box names, I don't think I'd be upset with any of them.

Walker Little and Jevon Holland would be exciting guys to me, in that I think their upside is really high, but they could help right away.

Some guys that you don't see mocked to GB too often that I would not be excited about:

Eric Stokes, CB, UGA
Tyson Campbell, CB, UGA
Kelvin Joseph, CB, UK
Levi Onwuzurike, iDL, UW
Gregory Rousseau, ED, MIA
Nick Bolton, LB, MIZZ
You wouldn’t be excited about Bolton? He would excite me very much. Obviously prefer him in the second, but a gritty and hard hitting player the Packers second level needs.
Other names I would not be surprised by are Stone Foresyth, Kendrick Green, Javonte Williams or Ifeatu Melifonwu.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nick Bolton, LB, MIZZ

I had a buddy ask my thoughts of Bolton and what would happen if we drafted him...

I honestly think it'd be the AJ Hawk experience all over again. A guy that would just go out there, do his job well above average, never be an issue guy on the team, have multiple contracts here - but overall the fans will always expect more since a 1st rounder.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You wouldn’t be excited about Bolton? He would excite me very much. Obviously prefer him in the second, but a gritty and hard hitting player the Packers second level needs.
Other names I would not be surprised by are Stone Foresyth, Kendrick Green, Javonte Williams or Ifeatu Melifonwu.

A 5’10 230 lb thumper who isn’t overly athletic doesn’t do a lot for me. He’s like a poor mans Denzel Perryman.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had a buddy ask my thoughts of Bolton and what would happen if we drafted him...

I honestly think it'd be the AJ Hawk experience all over again. A guy that would just go out there, do his job well above average, never be an issue guy on the team, have multiple contracts here - but overall the fans will always expect more since a 1st rounder.
That wouldn't be such a bad thing, have a "well above average" ILB, good enough for multiple contracts & no issues. He appears to be a mid-2nd-round guy so if Gute would use #62 on him I don't think the expectations would be nearly as high as A.J. 5'-11, 237 lbs., 4.6 40, but a 7.40 3 cone :( .

Would want/need a big DL (Shelvin, Bobby Brown or T. Slaton?) in front of him eating-up blockers, though.

Last edited:

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Milton Williams is the surprise 1st round pick that I can see the most.

He profiles exactly how GB likes at a position of need. Completely traits based pick, which also fits what Gute likes to do.

I probably wouldn’t like it, which means it will be at least decent.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

Nah, I would not be excited about Bolton.

I don't see the skill or traits to be an asset in coverage. Taking a linebacker in the 1st round that isn't a plus on 3rd downs is, to me, comparable to taking a running back who can't help in the passing game.

You can find gritty, hard hitting, two down players later in the draft.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Nah, I would not be excited about Bolton.

I don't see the skill or traits to be an asset in coverage. Taking a linebacker in the 1st round that isn't a plus on 3rd downs is, to me, comparable to taking a running back who can't help in the passing game.

You can find gritty, hard hitting, two down players later in the draft.
I see what your saying. I just find him electrifying on tape. I actually really like the LBs in this class, and that is not something I have seen in a draft class in recent years.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I see what your saying. I just find him electrifying on tape. I actually really like the LBs in this class, and that is not something I have seen in a draft class in recent years.

And maybe he's going to be really electric in the NFL and didn't test like it. I just wouldn't bet on it, myself.