Koren Robinson visits with Packers

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you know guys he has a disease I grew up in a house with an alcoholic brother and father so he needs help if it takes a year for him to fight it so be it

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I'd rather us be looking at Peter Warrick. I don't really agree with this. A look never hurt anyone. (See Madusa)

If he does sign with GB it could be good. True, this state is the drunkiest of them all. With that said I have had personal affiliations with the AA programs here and they are stout to say the least. I however do not have any others to compare them too. I just know they helped my step grandfather save himself and I am forever thankful for it.

GB has less oppurtunities to cause problems.

I mean I can see with those things in mind why, but I still can't agree with looking at Koren Robinson and NOT looking at Peter Warrick. I don't know much about Peter except what I've learned in the last few days, but everything I find about him. He sounds like he'd be a legit return guy for us.

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From PFT.com:

PACK CHASING K-ROB

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that the Green Bay Packers have visited with free-agent receiver Koren Robinson, who was cut by the Vikings last month after being arrested on multiple charges, including felony fleeing from police.

It has been widely presumed that Robinson will be suspended by the NFL for a year in the wake of the August incident, which resulted in a finding that Robinson's blood alcohol content was in excess of the legal limit for driving a motor vehicle. Robinson is in Stage Three of the NFL's substance abuse program, and another violation will result in a minimum banishment of one year.

As we see it, the more pressing concern isn't whether Robinson will be suspended, but whether he will be incarcerated. He was on probation resulting from a 2005 DUI guilty plea, and he could be facing up to 364 days in jail in Washington.

But the Packers are desperate for help, and they currently are carrying only four receivers on the roster. Robinson also could return kicks for the Packers; he was named to the 2005 Pro Bowl based on his performance in that capacity with the Vikings.

In Green Bay, Robinson would be reunited with three men who were instrumental in his selection by the Seahawks as a top-ten pick in the 2001 draft -- Ted Thompson, John Dorsey, and John Schneider. The Packers made a run at Robinson in 2005 when the Vikings released him prior to the first game of the regular season (in order to avoid owing his full salary for the season), but he decided to return to Minnesota because the Vikings had given him an opportunity when everyone else had turned their backs on him.

The biggest question in our view is whether quarterback Brett Favre would welcome Robinson with open arms. Though Favre would surely be interested in seeing the team get better, Robinson's squandering of his ability seems to be the kind of thing that Favre wouldn't approve of.

Our guess? The Pack will likely make a run at Robinson after the first game of the season, in order to avoid owing him his full salary for the entire season, due to his status as a vested veteran.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
see, theres all those rules and bylaws that we have no idea about. i dont like it though.

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just so you all know, this guy would probably be signed to a 1 year contract making close to veteran minimum. He'd do this because no one else wants him right now, and if he can prove he's cleaned up his act, he can make some more money next year. I don't like bringing in guys like this, but if it's a 1 year contract and it's cheap as a ****, why not give it a shot.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Minnesota did the same thing with Robinson last season -- waiting until right after the first game to sign him, which makes his (and any Vet in his situation) salary a week to week non-guarenteed. All Veterans on the roster for the first game of the season are assured of a seasons salary -- players signed after are prorated week to week.

I am not saying the Packers will pick him up, but I am simply pointing out that the Vikings did that last season (it gives the team some leverage on discipline).

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JbShell said:
you know guys he has a disease I grew up in a house with an alcoholic brother and father so he needs help if it takes a year for him to fight it so be it

i feel your pain, shell. i have a recovering alcoholic husband - sober 11 years now but before that...yikes!! :shock:

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They are JUST looling at him. And we woundn't have even KNOWN if there hadn't been a rule saying they had to tell everyone. That doesn't mean he's signing here. I'm not worried about it.
Maybe Robinson's agent asked for GB to let him come here for a look see. Stuff like this gets SO blown out of proportion. The "TT" haters just seem to love to jump on stuff like this that means nothing.
IF they did sign the guy, and he turned his life around and straightened out, it would be convieniently forgotten what was said here.
TT makes no moves.....gets blasted. He just takes a look at a guy, and some are ready to lynch him.
The Packers look at dozens of players every year, and don't sign them. Why blow all this out of proportion?

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
They are JUST looling at him. And we woundn't have even KNOWN if there hadn't been a rule saying they had to tell everyone. That doesn't mean he's signing here. I'm not worried about it.
Maybe Robinson's agent asked for GB to let him come here for a look see. Stuff like this gets SO blown out of proportion. The "TT" haters just seem to love to jump on stuff like this that means nothing.
IF they did sign the guy, and he turned his life around and straightened out, it would be convieniently forgotten what was said here.
TT makes no moves.....gets blasted. He just takes a look at a guy, and some are ready to lynch him.
The Packers look at dozens of players every year, and don't sign them. Why blow all this out of proportion?

Huh???

Who is a TT hater? And who suggested lynching him in this thread? It is legitimate news that the Packers brought in a player facing serious jail time, whether they sign him or not.

I have no problem with the Packers bringing him in for a talk, but it is a legit discussion -- esp given his talk of "Packer People" -- which most of us agree is bull ****!

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I started a thread about K-rob in the smack area. i hate the vikings and love that the packers are saints compared to them. its the first point i bring up when arguing with a vikes fan. just because it ****** them off so bad. and i shouldnt be ok with us getting K-rob but......

the dude is a solid to exceptional wide out. DD, Krob, Jennings, Fergy, Blackmon, that all of a sudden looks like a solid receiving corp. I basically wouldnt be upset either way... on the one hand we still dont employ criminals, rejects, ******, drunks... but on the other hand we steal a great reciever from Minny. and if he comes here and stays sober, that just adds to the green bay is classier than minny argument.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers | K. Robinson visits with team officials
Mon, 4 Sep 2006 22:12:15 -0700

Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports free agent WR Koren Robinson (Vikings) met with officials from the Green Bay Packers this weekend and left without a contract, according to sources close to the situation.

BoydAvery

Cheesehead
Reaction score
kmac said:
Just so you all know, this guy would probably be signed to a 1 year contract making close to veteran minimum. He'd do this because no one else wants him right now, and if he can prove he's cleaned up his act, he can make some more money next year. I don't like bringing in guys like this, but if it's a 1 year contract and it's cheap as a ****, why not give it a shot.

It's not going to happen.

packerman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hoos said:
tromadz said:
cuz he went to the pro bowl last year? cuz hes talented, at an area we need talent in?

im not for the move, ill tell you that, but....why bash a GM for looking at options?

I'll tell you why we bash the GM for looking for options, because all TT wants to look at is garbage heap and project players.

Now let me do your argument for you

<you>: TT is the GM and obviously knows more about the situation than I do.

Yes, this is true, TT is certainly more in the know. However, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that Koren won't play this year, and we're wasting our time with this basket case. We need a WR that can dress for the entire year. Warrick or Calico would work.

His suspension will go to the league office, however, it will be appealed by one of the best player attorneys and he will play this year....hopefully he will get that DUI thrown out and only face a charge for the flee which would be minor....prob get a 30 day sentence in seattle for the summer and be good to go next yr....prob sign for league min for a vested vet....it can work out, local packers would just need to support him instead of waiting for him to screw up and say i told u so...hey, if he signs, we take care of our own...right...unlike them punk vikings.....i say bring him on and let him rip into them and the bears...from what i heard, he made it look to easy against their def anyway in practice, thats why he hated going to optional workouts...it was waste

packerman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:

lol....an agent doesnt say hey let my guy come up there to look around...apparently, if they flew him up here to meet and took the time to look into all his matters, its serious and he is the best WR out there, so its def a serious matter.....Ted is where he is for no reason, otherwise all these ted haters would have his job...lol..

packerman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BoydAvery said:
kmac said:

It's not going to happen.

if they did offer him a contract, it would be 2 yrs not 1..thats would be idiotic..why offer him 1 yr and he has another pro bowl season and then lose him to free agency..sign him to a 2yr min deal, if he dont pan out this yr, you can always cut him...nfl not like any other league, no guaranteed contracts here

Since69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember much wailing and gnashing of teeth in '96 when Andre Rison was brought in - for many of the same reasons.

OTOH, this is not exactly the same situation, though. In '96, we were a Superbowl-quality team with a huge hole at WR. Rison filled that hole nicely and allowed the Packers to live up to that potential. If we don't sign KRob, then what? We'll lose 11 games instead of 9? It's not as if this guy is the final piece of the puzzle, after all.

OTOOH, when you have holes in your roster (WR and KR), and a player like KRob who can fill both of those holes, and the opportunity to pick him very cheaply, how can you not take that chance? I'd be more likely to bash TT if we passed on KRob and he went somewhere else and kept his nose clean and had a great year.

His base salary will be very low - probably vet's minimum - and we can protect ourselves with options like roster bonuses and morality clauses. We don't have to put all our eggs in his basket. Low risk with a potentially huge reward.

Not that my opinion matters, but I'm all for giving KRob another chance.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce said:
cheesey said:

Huh???

Who is a TT hater? And who suggested lynching him in this thread? It is legitimate news that the Packers brought in a player facing serious jail time, whether they sign him or not.

I have no problem with the Packers bringing him in for a talk, but it is a legit discussion -- esp given his talk of "Packer People" -- which most of us agree is bull ****!

I don't know if anyone said anything about "lynching" but re-read the entire thread if you want some TT bashing. I don't think he should be "GM of the Year" at this point, but we all need to wait until the season unfolds for cripes sake...I hope some of these guys on this forum don't have tickets next to me for the Rams game on October 8 because I don't think I could handle all the negativity.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Koren Robinson faces jail time regardless of the outcome of his current legal troubles. The judge who placed him on probation with 1 year of jail time if he got in any alcohol related trouble has said he wants an immediate violation hearing in Washington. That judge does not need to wait for the trial on the current charges -- it is a violation simply to be arrested and charged when on probation.

That is the biggest barrier to him playing this season and also why no one would want to get struck guarenteeing him a years salary at any level.

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NDPackerFan said:
I don't know if anyone said anything about "lynching" but re-read the entire thread if you want some TT bashing. I don't think he should be "GM of the Year" at this point, but we all need to wait until the season unfolds for cripes sake...I hope some of these guys on this forum don't have tickets next to me for the Rams game on October 8 because I don't think I could handle all the negativity.

Sorry dude, I have tickets to the Rams on 8 October, but you better believe I am hoping for a win.

If you reread my comments, my gripe over this whole fiasco is that the guy is facing 1 year of jail time. We need a receiver that isn't going to go on hiatus to the big house Week 3. For the life of me I have no idea why this is even being considered... So we can beat the Bears Week 1 while Robinson still enjoys his freedom???

Additionally, we were inundated with B.S. all preseason about "Packer People" and how "the culture of this team will change". Then as soon as a three-time loser WR facing a year in jail (who happened to play in the Pro Bowl) comes available, TT flies him in talk about playing in GB. Maybe you don't have a problem with people turning their back on their principals, but I do. I also have a problem with people that feed you a line of B.S. just to make themselves look good... Which TT was apparently doing with his "Packer people" nonsense.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i agree about turning your back on principals, but the guy has a disease. hes not out murdering\******. his problems are within himself.

i still dont want him, but want to clarify.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"And here's to you, Koren Robison.
TT loves you more then you will know, whoa whoa whoa
god bless you please, Koren Robinson, Heaven holds a place for those who play, in Green Bay, hey hey hey.

Laugh about it shout about it when you start to choose,
Just stay the heck away from the booze!"

(Ever since this thread started, i can't get the tune "Mr.s Robinson" out of my head! So i HAD to do this!)LOLOLOL!!! :lol:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts