Jumal Rolle

H

HardRightEdge

Here’s a good packersnews.com story on Goodson and Rolle: http://www.packersnews.com/story/sp...-on-rolle-theres-always-some-regret/70355350/

As the story says, Goodson did suffer a concussion in the last preseason game and the Packers would have had to waive him to get him to the PS, as mradtke66 posted. First, they would have to do an injury settlement with him and then wait six weeks to re-sign him. But that’s not the most important consideration. They had a roster spot available after Mulumba was injured in week 2. I think Thompson’s miscalculation was depending upon Rolle to contact the Packers after another team contacted him. If Rolle (or his agent) had done that, I think it’s likely Thompson would have elevated him to the active roster to keep him.

I think Rolle 'bolted' because he saw a chance to play right away in Houston, as opposed to waiting behind the (at the time) very deep secondary in Green Bay. And if he didn’t understand the Goodson situation (injury settlement, etc.) he may have been justifiably pissed after clearly outplaying him, it looked like Goodson was in front of him.
If it were me, not being promoted when there was an open roster spot, after having clearly outplayed Goodson, would have sent me packing. F*ck around with me once, shame on me, etc., etc.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Thompson has an extremely business-like approach to everything he does.

It's not a bad quality for a GM to have, but I think there are times when it causes him to overlook the human aspects of his decisions. It's not surprising that Rolle felt slighted and was grateful for the opportunity elsewhere.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For every jilted Rolle, there's a Randall Cobb or Bryan Bulaga. not perfect, but I think he does ok

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
If it were me, not being promoted when there was an open roster spot, after having clearly outplayed Goodson, would have sent me packing. F*ck around with me once, shame on me you,etc., etc.
;)

The Packers have had a couple players on their PS notify them of another team's interest and either promoted them or paid them more to stay on the PS. But of course I agree it was a mistake by Thompson not to promote Rolle to the active roster as soon as Mulumba went to IR. Thompson himself talks about how even the deepest positions can become thin very quickly...

H

HardRightEdge

;)

The Packers have had a couple players on their PS notify them of another team's interest and either promoted them or paid them more to stay on the PS. But of course I agree it was a mistake by Thompson not to promote Rolle to the active roster as soon as Mulumba went to IR. Thompson himself talks about how even the deepest positions can become thin very quickly...
I appreciate the edit, but it was a two-fer. Not being on the 53 man roster to start out, minor concussion notwithstanding, when you've clearly outplayed the guy in front of you is a psudo-"shame on me" for accepting the PS. "Psudo" because there might not have been any options at that point, but it's still an acceptance of be being screwed around because the other guy happened to be a draft pick. Then being passed over a second time? That's the "shame on you".

Last edited by a moderator:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you guys wanted the GM to promote one specific player off of the practice squad just because there was an open roster spot? THAT'S LUDICROUS!!! He could have randomly picked any of the guys on the practice squad. There were no indications that Rolle should have been that player. In fact, with our depth he would have been the last guy that I would have promoted to the game day roster. All of this on top of the fact that if the Packers got an injury, they would need to use that open roster spot to fill a need. Since Rolle already had one accrued season (2013) on the practice squad if he spent much time on the 45-man roster, he wouldn't have been eligible to go back to the practice squad. So had an injury occurred, we needed a spot, but TT had needlessly promoted Rolle to the roster without a clear need or known offer from another team, 99% of the people in this forum would have crucified him for making a stupid move.

What Thompson could have done different was the roster at the end of camp. However, as we saw due to the Goodson injury, the call wasn't as simple as deciding which player was better.

There is a lot of arm-chair GMing going on here. Some of it is warranted but most is overblown. In retrospect, yeah it would be great to still have Rolle but there was no clear-cut answer at the time.

Pack-12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rolle isn't even that good to get worked up over. Everyone remembers a couple of plays he made in preseason but forgets he gave up as many catches as Goodson did. It was closer between the two than people act like it was and it was Rolle 2nd year in the league so it's not surprising they went with the rookie. Also yeah he had 3 ints last year but he also gave up a 70% completions, 2 TDs, and over 200 yards in limited playing time behind a beastly pass rush facing QBs like Mettenberger x2, Hoyer, Sanchez, and Dalton. There's a reason even after those INTs why he rode the bench behind AJ Bouye and Darryl Morris. Would it be nice to have him now as depth... sure but if he was going to be in line for any significant playing time this year we would still be in need of an upgrade so the situation really isn't all that drastically different either with or without him here.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was under the impression that they kept Goodson over Rolle because Goodson ended camp with a concussion. He was injured.

As such, they couldn't cut and re-sign him to the practice squad, they would have had to waived him injured, given him a settlement, and then not be able to re-sign him for 8-10 weeks.

I would hope that the reason they kept Goodson over Rolle was because they though he was better for the team. That may not how it turns out but it should be the only reason in the vast majority of cases for keeping one guy over another.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would hope that the reason they kept Goodson over Rolle was because they though he was better for the team. That may not how it turns out but it should be the only reason in the vast majority of cases for keeping one guy over another.

Eh, you're looking at a guy who was our what, 7th or 8th cornerback? Has to be some reason to split those guys apart. Something as little as "who can I sneak to the practice squad" matters.

Yes, I'd rather have Rolle on the roster now, but he's not a world beater. He might latch on as a solid starter or not even make it to Houston's final cuts.

D

Deleted member 6794

So you guys wanted the GM to promote one specific player off of the practice squad just because there was an open roster spot? THAT'S LUDICROUS!!! He could have randomly picked any of the guys on the practice squad. There were no indications that Rolle should have been that player. In fact, with our depth he would have been the last guy that I would have promoted to the game day roster. All of this on top of the fact that if the Packers got an injury, they would need to use that open roster spot to fill a need. Since Rolle already had one accrued season (2013) on the practice squad if he spent much time on the 45-man roster, he wouldn't have been eligible to go back to the practice squad. So had an injury occurred, we needed a spot, but TT had needlessly promoted Rolle to the roster without a clear need or known offer from another team, 99% of the people in this forum would have crucified him for making a stupid move.

What Thompson could have done different was the roster at the end of camp. However, as we saw due to the Goodson injury, the call wasn't as simple as deciding which player was better.

There is a lot of arm-chair GMing going on here. Some of it is warranted but most is overblown. In retrospect, yeah it would be great to still have Rolle but there was no clear-cut answer at the time.

Rolle had a way better training camp and preseason than Goodson and a lot of posters here were surprised the Packers put him on the practice squad. It´s an unprecedented move in the NFL to have a roster spot open for two weeks and once again several regulars advocated for Thompson to promote Rolle to the 53 during that period.

There´s no denying having Rolle on the roster would be valuable after losing House and Williams in free agency and Thompson misjudged the situation thinking he could stack him on the PS last season.

Pack-12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rolle had a way better training camp and preseason than Goodson and a lot of posters here were surprised the Packers put him on the practice squad. It´s an unprecedented move in the NFL to have a roster spot open for two weeks and once again several regulars advocated for Thompson to promote Rolle to the 53 during that period.

There´s no denying having Rolle on the roster would be valuable after losing House and Williams in free agency and Thompson misjudged the situation thinking he could stack him on the PS last season.

I'm not saying he sucks or it was a good move to not sign him but he's really not that good of a player and not worth getting all worked up over.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm not saying he sucks or it was a good move to not sign him but he's really not that good of a player and not worth getting all worked up over.

Rolle would at least add some much needed depth to the position. I agree he allowed to many completions last season playing for the Texans but he showed some promise interceptions three balls in limited action.

fanindaup

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lots of people are ragging on TT over the Rolle loss. I agree it seems in hindsight especially to be a mistake. I even questioned it at the time. However, TT is most likely human and therefore prone to making a mistake. As long as this one doesn't turn out to be on the order of say Jerry Glanville/Brett Favre I'm willing to give him a pass.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just find it very difficult to get too excited about the loss of a player that wasn't even going to see playing time over jarrett Bush last year. BFD, yeah he'd be nice to have right now in terms of numbers, but I have complete faith that a player of his skill level and better will be gotten in the draft or a FA at some point meaning he still would be used sparingly if at all this next year.

I think if we're complaining about the loss of players like Rolle, we must be doing something right.

D

Deleted member 6794

I just find it very difficult to get too excited about the loss of a player that wasn't even going to see playing time over jarrett Bush last year. BFD, yeah he'd be nice to have right now in terms of numbers, but I have complete faith that a player of his skill level and better will be gotten in the draft or a FA at some point meaning he still would be used sparingly if at all this next year.

I think if we're complaining about the loss of players like Rolle, we must be doing something right.

Bush made the team over Rolle because of special teams contributions, he played a total of 42 snaps on defense.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
which means Rolle wouldn't have even seen special teams duties and would have seen less than 42 snaps on defense. I'm still not going to get too excited that Houston took him from the PS

D

Deleted member 6794

which means Rolle wouldn't have even seen special teams duties and would have seen less than 42 snaps on defense. I'm still not going to get too excited that Houston took him from the PS

As I´ve posted earlier in this thread I didn´t expect Rolle to have any impact in 2014 but with Williams and House leaving in free agency he would have been a valuable asset for 2015 and it would have been pretty easy and cheap to hold onto him.

H

HardRightEdge

Lots of people are ragging on TT over the Rolle loss. I agree it seems in hindsight especially to be a mistake. I even questioned it at the time. However, TT is most likely human and therefore prone to making a mistake. As long as this one doesn't turn out to be on the order of say Jerry Glanville/Brett Favre I'm willing to give him a pass.
Most likely.... ;)

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I´ve posted earlier in this thread I didn´t expect Rolle to have any impact in 2014 but with Williams and House leaving in free agency he would have been a valuable asset for 2015 and it would have been pretty easy and cheap to hold onto him.
and he'll probably be pretty easy to replace. I don't have much doubt that at least 1 or 2 CB's will be taken this draft and 1 or both will be every bit as good or better than Rolle. and even if we kept Rolle, I'm certain we'd be picking another CB or 2 in this draft because he wasn't a guy you're betting to nail down the position for the next 7 years either. Now in 3 years if Rolle turns into what Williams did for us, then I'll say it was a mistake. At this point? By next year I'll probably have forgotten he was even on the team

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Could he have signed with the Texans and been gone without giving the Packers the opportunity to elevate him first?

Oh well....its over and done.

TT signed Tramon after Houston cut him years ago. No way this works out as well for Houston as that did for the Pack.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this is sort of like AJ Hawk. If he hadn't been the #5 overall, 90% of the negative comments over the years wouldn't have come up. In this situation, Rolle looked better in camp and seemed to produce in Texas, while Goodson has thus far shown nothing, AND, AS FAR AS WE KNOW, it would have been pretty simple to keep both. Take any of those factors out of the equation, and the heartburn level decreases drastically.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think one intangible we as fans only see in a very indirect way (on field play), is "Football Smarts". The ability of a player to grasp concepts and continue forward. This is something coaches will not say "we cut this guy because he just wasn't getting it". So we as fans look for other reasons. I am not saying this is the case with Rolle and Goodson, but I think it happens more often then we are aware of.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Could he have signed with the Texans and been gone without giving the Packers the opportunity to elevate him first?
It's been suggested by Thompson that this is the case, he bolted without telling the Packers. That tells me that he either felt slighted by the team or just didn't like the fit and wanted to leave. Once that mentality was in place, even putting him on the active roster wouldn't have made him happy. We've seen that unhappy players eventually leave anyway, so in many ways this was bound to happen.

It's interesting how much attention a practice squad player/move is getting. We need camp to come along...SOON!!!

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I think one intangible we as fans only see in a very indirect way (on field play), is "Football Smarts". The ability of a player to grasp concepts and continue forward. This is something coaches will not say "we cut this guy because he just wasn't getting it". So we as fans look for other reasons. I am not saying this is the case with Rolle and Goodson, but I think it happens more often then we are aware of.
I understand your point but regarding Rolle and Goodson, it was just the opposite. Rolle showed he "got it" in TC and preseason; Goodson didn't because he was new to the position. BTW, I hope we forget about Rolle, but just drafting a CB in the first three or four rounds is no guarantee that'll happen. I don't mean to overstate the importance of losing him because I agree more CBs would have been acquired if he were still a Packer. But I would have liked him competing in TC and preseason this season.

Members online

Latest posts