Josh Rosen for 3rd and...

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Deshone Kizer?

Saw this floated online earlier today. Personally, I'm not tied to Kizer at all after seeing live action last season. To me, this is essentially giving away a cut Qb, and using a 3rd Rd pick on a strong development qb that can learn Lefluer system behind Rodgers for 3-4 seasons.

Thoughts? Would you make this trade if available on draft day?

Here's last year's draft card from https://www.nfl.com/prospects/josh-rosen?id=32462018-0002-5600-59bd-f150d938ca3e

Fritter2005

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are not getting Josh Rosen for a 3rd round pick. The best scenario would be pick 30 if even that.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If it's for a 3rd rounder then get this done ASAP. Yeah it kind of sucks we need a backup since AR has had big problems staying healthy of late but getting a guy that gets paid around 2.5 mil per year for his rookie deal is an amazing value. The good thing for us is almost every team has 'their guy' at qb and if they don't they are in position to draft 'their guy' in the draft this year (Cardinals, Giants, Raiders). We probably won't have to deal with too many competing bidders. Mid 3rd rounder, why not?

But like the poster 2 posts before me mentioned, I don't know why people think the Cards would only take a 3rd for the #10 overall pick last year. Even if there aren't many takers I would be irate getting just a 3rd rounder for Rosen if I am a Cardinal fan.

OP
OP
sjb12681

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are not getting Josh Rosen for a 3rd round pick. The best scenario would be pick 30 if even that.

Rumor has him at a 3rd with a kicker. Cards want a qb. But, point taken, gotta imagine that another team has something more than a 3rd for the chance at him

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With them taking Murray (which they will if they trade Rosen) why would the want another unproven guy in Kizer? That makes no sense.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Deshone Kizer?

Saw this floated online earlier today. Personally, I'm not tied to Kizer at all after seeing live action last season. To me, this is essentially giving away a cut Qb, and using a 3rd Rd pick on a strong development qb that can learn Lefluer system behind Rodgers for 3-4 seasons.

Thoughts? Would you make this trade if available on draft day?

Here's last year's draft card from https://www.nfl.com/prospects/josh-rosen?id=32462018-0002-5600-59bd-f150d938ca3e

Kizer flourished under Lafleur at Notre Dame, not giving up on him yet...HOWEVER if I were to give up on him for a 2018 drafted QB it would be Rosen.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers have more pressing needs than to give up a draft pick for a backup quarterback.

Kizer flourished under Lafleur at Notre Dame, not giving up on him yet...HOWEVER if I were to give up on him for a 2018 drafted QB it would be Rosen.

Kizer redshirted in 2014 and didn't throw a single pass when LaFleur was the quarterbacks coach in Notre Dame.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have more pressing needs than to give up a draft pick for a backup quarterback.

Kizer redshirted in 2014 and didn't throw a single pass when LaFleur was the quarterbacks coach in Notre Dame.
Yeah, but he was really good at it.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Josh Rosen is so bad that after 1 year the Cardinals go with another QB at 1st Overall? So why do we want him?

Granted his numbers in perspective weren't abysmal, but has clearly proven he definitely shouldn't have been the 1st QB taken last year.

Not sure if they'd let him go but Tyrod Taylor anyone?

D

Deleted member 6794

Josh Rosen is so bad that after 1 year the Cardinals go with another QB at 1st Overall? So why do we want him?

Granted his numbers in perspective weren't abysmal, but has clearly proven he definitely shouldn't have been the 1st QB taken last year.

Rosen was the fourth quarterback drafted last year. While it's possible he won't develop into a decent starter the Cardinals are giving up way too early on him.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know he wasn't, and that's my fault for not elaborating further. I was touching on how Rosen thought he should have been and was supposed to have "made teams pay" for passing on him.

D

Deleted member 6794

I know he wasn't, and that's my fault for not elaborating further. I was touching on how Rosen thought he should have been and was supposed to have "made teams pay" for passing on him.

There's no doubt Rosen didn't have a successful rookie campaign but in my opinion it's way too early to give up on him.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Not sure if they'd let him go but Tyrod Taylor anyone?
Arizona may go with a new QB because they have a new coach and a new system that may be perfect for Murray.

The mistake, IMHO, is to hire a coach that wouldn't develop and capitalize on Rosens impressive skills.

Rosen is probably the best natural passer to come out of college in a few years. To call him bad or a bust is ridiculous after just a single season. His stats are better than Elways rookie season. No reason to give up on him at this point.

D

Deleted member 6794

Rosen is probably the best natural passer to come out of college in a few years. To call him bad or a bust is ridiculous after just a single season. His stats are better than Elways rookie season. No reason to give up on him at this point.

I agree with most of your post but overall quarterbacks have significantly put up better numbers since Elway's rookie season.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
at this point the Packers have more pressing needs than a backup (or a potential future starter) to give up picks. if they were in long-term mode then ok but they aren't. they're in win-soon mode.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This comes down to win now or continue to win later.

A third rounder could be depth on the oline that's important in any run this year. It could also be our third RB who takes over during a playoff run. Who knows, but third rounders can contribute now when we need depth across the roster.

I'd rather hold onto Kizer and see how he develops in say the next year or two than trade a pick + a possible player. Maybe Kizer is a Craig Nall and won't develop into anything usable, but it's too early in his career to spend draft capital on someone who may be better IMO.

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes please!!!

We don't need to try to get another Newton or Vick or McNabb....

PLEASE bring in Rosen or anyone similar

OP
OP
sjb12681

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who was talking about a Newton Vick or McNabb? Hmmmm... Kizer is nothing like those QBs at all, except for one thing... Hmmmm... Can't put my finger on it...

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also don't feel like a guy like Kizer really "represents" the Midwest really well...

I mean this isn't Atlanta, Houston, New Orleans or D.C. ....

OP
OP
sjb12681

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm hoping I misunderstood sarcasm.

Didn't see anyone else in the thread making a pointed post saying what this post seems to elude to, and as such needed mocking.

Maybe the poster can clarify his comment.