Jordy Nelson injury

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd go after James Jones after he was cut, if he was cut. I'm not giving up a draft pick though for a guy cut from one team, and on the bubble for another. I think he'd be better than what we have, but then I think we have plenty of options even if Jordy is not there. There are a lot of ways to call an offense, and while losing Jordy as an impact, nobody can convince me that a qb like Rodgers can't make use of Lacy/Starks tandem, Cobb and Adams and even our 2 TE's need to be nothing more than average TE (though I think Rodgers can be more) and our offense should be just fine.

Not to mention, Janis and White.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where are all these dropped passes you speak of? When you say "greatly reduce" it implies that there has been an egregious excess of drops. I've seen every snap he's played and I've only seen one play where he didn't catch a pass that a defender didn't get a hand on, and even then The Rock said on the radio he was pretty certain a defender got just enough of a finger on it to deflect it's path at the last second. The replay looked like he may have been right. Janis has things to work on, like everyone does, and everyone who has coached him has indicated he has made good progress. With Jordy out, it's time to throw him in the lake and see if he swims. I think he'll do fine, but it would be silly not to expect some hiccups along the way. It took Jordy several seasons to get where he is. It would be unrealistic to expect Janis to do everything Jordy does in his second year and that should not be the standard of measure at this point.
Thanks I must have overstated the dropped passes. I agree with you throw Janis in now. He'll have to earn ARod's trust though. The time to test that is right now. I'm pulling for him.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven't had a chance to look at that again, but if you're talking about the play that was first ruled in bounds and later changed to not-a-catch I don't know if his awareness was as much of a factor as where Tolzien threw the ball. Perhaps Janis could have dragged a foot but if he had it would have been a spectacular catch. BTW, as I remember it he did catch that ball at full extension so at least his catch radius wasn't an issue on that play.
Yeah it was an excellent, Nelson-like catch. And only someone with height and reach could have made it.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Even if the News is bad on Jordy, which I think most of us are expecting, at least there is almost 3 weeks to find "the next man up". Whether that player is on the team now or becomes a Packer. My trust is in TT for decisions between now and then to address the situation and my trust is in AR to continue to be the great QB he has become and work with what he has.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is a blow. You can sugar coat it all you want and dig out whatever stats you want but Nelson is a proven top 10 WR imo and they're pretty useful!

It annoys me when people or analysts question his ability because ACR is tossing the ball to him. Jordan would be productive is most teams.

However, the cornerstone is 12 and that's where SB hopes rest.
Jordy would be a #1 receiver on a lot of teams, with or without #12.

D

Deleted member 6794

I wouldn't jump the gun on Aaron not trusting people over drops. James Jones, Jermichael Finely, Jordy Nelson. What do they have in common? They've all gone through spurts of dropped passes..And it didn't necessarily effect Rodgers targets to those players knowing the impact that they could have should he connect with them.

There's a huge difference between all the guys you mentioned and Janis is that those guys caught a ton of balls from Rodgers while having the occassional drop. Janis hasn't been targeted once by Rodgers in a game situation so far, there's no reason for the QB to put any trust into Janis if he continues to drop balls like that.

I haven't had a chance to look at that again, but if you're talking about the play that was first ruled in bounds and later changed to not-a-catch I don't know if his awareness was as much of a factor as where Tolzien threw the ball. Perhaps Janis could have dragged a foot but if he had it would have been a spectacular catch. BTW, as I remember it he did catch that ball at full extension so at least his catch radius wasn't an issue on that play.

It would have been a tough catch for sure but that's what Rodgers was talking about giving guys a chance to separate themselves from the pack during the first week of camp. If you want to get on the field with the #1 offense you have to make some difficult plays.

I disagree. If he hasn't earned PT, who has? White? Montgomery? Fact of the matter is all 3 of those guys are going to see time, but when it comes to the role of the big WR with the speed to stretch the field, only one of those guys has the tools to fill that role.

None of them have done anything so far warranting to be a starter entering the season, that's why Thompson should consider bringing in a veteran. Montgomery is most likely ahead of them on the depth chart right now but that could change until the end of camp.

I'm not using a different standard. See above. One reason I've been supportive of him is due to his high potential. Another reason is when a player is harshly criticized for reasons that make no sense, I'm going to rebut that.

Yes, you do. From the moment he caught two passes during practice in camp last year you have been talking about him like he's the next Jerry Rice.

What about White and Montgomery's mental lapses? You only seem to be critical of Janis. Talk about double standards.

I posted last week that I was disappointrd in White's performance vs. the Patriots and Montgomery hasn't done anything during a game to get excited about. I'm capable of objectively evaluating the receivers fighting for a roster spot or playing time.

Exactly. And Driver actually dropped more passes than any of the guys you mentioned. The idea that Rodgers refuses to throw to guys who occasionally drops passes or runs the occasional bad route completely ignores that he does that every single game. It's a huge myth that got wings when some nay-sayers jumped on a comment Rodgers made about Janis still needing work. Of course he still needed work. It was half-way through his rookie camp.

Rodgers hasn't even targeted Janis once in a game during his time with the Packers. Let's get that out of the way first before talking about coming back to him if he messes up.

He also had back-to-back catches at another point. And Larry McCarren said on the radio that a defender got a finger or two on the drop. Still a drop because it hit him in the hands, but when the path of the ball is altered the difficulty goes up. So much like White's drop on the sideline last week, I don't think either of them are anything to be worried about.

Geez, that was a horrible drop, every wide receiver on an NFL team has to make that catch. Not admitting that makes you look like a fool.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, but any half-competent trainer would have no trouble detecting a Grade 3 and if they detected one, they wouldn't have let him walk to the locker room like that. I'm still banking on a low to moderate severity Grade 2 at this point. Here's hoping...
If it is low severity does it still require surgery? I'm no sports dr!

OP
OP
TJV

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
It would have been a tough catch for sure but that's what Rodgers was talking about giving guys a chance to separate themselves from the pack during the first week of camp. If you want to get on the field with the #1 offense you have to make some difficult plays.
I posted this a little while ago after having a second look at that non-catch:
However, I just looked at that play again and my initial impression was wrong. First, he did have plenty of space to drag his left foot. Instead he took a full stride and only about one-half of his left foot was out of bounds. Second, while he did catch the ball away from his body, he didn’t fully stretch out for it – his elbows were at about a 90% angle. (I’m not blaming him for not stretching for the ball – he didn’t have to – I’m just saying what I remembered was incorrect.). Finally if you play it in super slo-mo it looks to me like he bobbled the ball as he was stepping out of bounds. Other than those three things I was spot on. ;)

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Rodgers will have to target Jeff Janis in the next game. Make Janis run Nelson's plays and give him some reps with the #1's in camp.

OP
OP
TJV

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Just going to throw this out there.....if you were TT would you go after James Jones and what would you be willing to give the Giants for him?
If the now awakened Packers pro personnel department determined he is the best option available I would go after him.

Last edited:

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, but the instability puts the other ligaments of the knee at unnecessary risk and they wouldn't have done that.

There isn't enough instability to put other ligaments at risk with just walking, assuming he doesn't step wrong and twist his knee.

It's why people who don't play sports can be perfectly functional without a surgery to fix the ACL. The instability comes into play with running, cutting, etc involved with sports. My source is being a physical therapist.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If it is low severity does it still require surgery? I'm no sports dr!

Grade 1 no. Grade 2 maybe as it can vary from a little bit of it torn to almost all of it. Also depends on where the partial tear is. If it's in a spot with good blood supply, probably no surgery.

Last edited:

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe Jordy's ACL was ready to go bad. It would have happened sooner than later. At least the Packers can work on replacing Jordy for the next few weeks.

PackersBacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
God this sucks. I don't think Adams can completely fill the role of flanker either, he's more a possession guy. Guys like Montgomery and Janis may get some chances in that role.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
God this sucks. I don't think Adams can completely fill the role of flanker either, he's more a possession guy. Guys like Montgomery and Janis may get some chances in that role.

Janis has a year on Montgomery in the offense. Janis is more suited to Jordy's role, a big fast receiver.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe Jordy's ACL was ready to go bad. It would have happened sooner than later. At least the Packers can work on replacing Jordy for the next few weeks.

This is *usually* how it works. When you tear an ACL, it *usually* means that it was about to go anyway and there really isn't anything you can do about it when you're an athlete. Sadly, if it didn't happen now, it would have happened during the season at some point. So the only saving grace from this, and perhaps the only thing positive to come out of it, is that we have a few weeks to figure out who his replacement is before the bullets fly for real. So its not like we are in a bind or anything and have to scramble and rush someone into his spot.

Dieseljunkie12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i dont know, i dont buy into usually was about to go thing. i think it just happens when it happens. mine was a freak basketball accident and i am only 30 years old. i dont think it was detoriating over time. but thats my own opinion.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i dont know, i dont buy into usually was about to go thing. i think it just happens when it happens. mine was a freak basketball accident and i am only 30 years old. i dont think it was detoriating over time. but thats my own opinion.
but it is true. healthy tendons and ligaments don't just snap without severe auto crash or plane crash type accidents, or if say a 300lb lineman plows full on into your knee, but otherwise healthy tendons or ligaments are immensely strong. They don't just rupture from normal movement forces generated by your body unless they are diseased or unhealthy for a while before hand weakening them

Brandon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.packers.com/news-and-eve...y-Nelson/54a77345-091d-49ac-bd20-75609d3acfbe

Direct link to the update as well. I love Jordy, and I think his leadership on the field that pairs along with Rodgers will be missed, but I just have this feeling in my gut that Davante Adams is going to emerge as a star this year because of Nelson's absence. Someone that may by the end of the season have us all wondering if a new #1 is in order. Just a gut feeling.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know why anyone was hoping for a "partial" ACL tear. A partial tear is not better. It requires the same recovery time as a complete tear.

Members online

Latest posts