• 7th Round?

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Nothing.

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's in the final year of his contract and the Bengals declined his 5th year option. I don't think Ross gets anything on the open market. But I think for a 6th Round pick that probably lands us a fringe player could be be worth a look?

We know Rodgers makes every WR on this roster better, and while we have MVS to take the top off a defense, Ross takes that to a whole new level, and I believe he possesses the ability to make catches MVS struggles to make. So even if he never lives up to his Draft status, I believe Ross could possibly "salvage" his career as a serviceable 3rd or 4th WR with Rodgers.

Also at 5'11, he can be that slot/gadget/YAC guy that we don't have with Ervin out, as well as being a noteworthy option in the kicking game.

The Packers currently have 2 open roster spots, worth a shot?

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For me, a trade has to have a big impact, or at least make some difference. I don't see that with Ross

OP
OP
Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's low risk/high reward. A 6th Round in 2021 which will be a vary volatile draft in terms of perceived value I think is worth a stab. In 2021 we could easily wind up with a guy who ends up on the practice squad and cut a year later.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
For me, a trade has to have a big impact, or at least make some difference. I don't see that with Ross
The two open roster spots tells me Mgmt is on the prowl. Which they may be all the time, but especially now.

OP
OP
Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The two open roster spots tells me Mgmt is on the prowl. Which they may be all the time, but especially now.

If they make this happen, I'm going to be on the prowl in Madden 21 after the rosters update. I'm lobbing hail marys all day long with Ross and MVS on the opposite side of the field.:roflmao:

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I absolutely agree. The question is with their cap situation, will it be an impact move or just shuffling the bottom half of the roster with practice player types.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he won't get much on the open market why give the Bungles anything for him? I'd wait and see if you can get him this offseason for "free" instead. IMO WR isn't the issue with this team right now. It is trench play on both sides of the line.

OP
OP
Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he won't get much on the open market why give the Bungles anything for him? I'd wait and see if you can get him this offseason for "free" instead. IMO WR isn't the issue with this team right now. It is trench play on both sides of the line.

To clarify, I mean he'll be a cheap pickup. The 6th Round pick just ensures he comes to Green Bay. By no means will the Packers try to outbid anyone.

While Ross' contract is fully guaranteed, by being at almost the halfway point of the season I can't imagine Ross costing more than $1.5M the rest of the way. For a boom or bust, I believe it could be worth a shot before Gute decides to invest a higher pick in a WR, which I currently don't see being higher than 3rd Round.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind perse, but tbh he doesn’t offer anything we don’t already have, he’s got the same skill set as MVS except he doesn’t know the system and is more injury prone.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As badly as I want a receiver upgrade, none if I'm being honest. He will be owed I believe about 5.5 mil the rest of this year which would take up a lot of the remaining cap room. He's been in the league 3.5 years now and has made very little impact in his time. He has a career 41% catch-target percentage which is 8% worse than MVS.

I don't think Dallas would but I'd be much more interested in giving a 4th for Michael Gallup who I think has another year left on his contract. I would like Brandin Cooks as a player but not for what we'd have to pay him for his contract, unless he was cut.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Considering the compensatory draft picks that Green Bay will be netting in 2021 after the departures of Bryan Bulaga, Blake Martinez, and Kyler Fackrell in free agency, it’s certainly a price that they can afford. However, despite Ross being the 9th pick in the 2017 draft, he has been a big disappointment, so I don't see him as much of an upgrade over MVS. He is probably better than EQ and Taylor, but not worth a one year rental for an average to below average guy IMO.

There is the outside chance that Ross has just been stuck in a bad system/team and has wanted out. Coupled with that and injuries, he may have been underperforming on his true potential. But I don't know if you would want to spend even a late round pick, plus a prorated share of his $2,798,981 salary to find out.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
As badly as I want a receiver upgrade, none if I'm being honest. He will be owed I believe about 5.5 mil the rest of this year which would take up a lot of the remaining cap room.

Nahhhh....only the pro-rated share of his yearly salary of $2,798,981 would be the Packers obligation. $1.75M if they made the trade next Monday.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind perse, but tbh he doesn’t offer anything we don’t already have, he’s got the same skill set as MVS except he doesn’t know the system and is more injury prone.

John Ross is probably tops speed-wise in the NFL. He ran a 4.22. Faster than Hill's 4.29 and faster than Goodwins' 4.27.

"skill" is a different story, but he's on a different level than MVS athletically. Why he's not catching on in Cinci is beyond me, he kinda was breaking out last year, but then that got derailed.

Worth a 6th? Maybe. I'd be more concerned about getting Rodgers the time to throw the ball deep if that's where we want our plays to go. Won't matter much having this guy if Rodgers gets smoked winding up the arm to throw deep.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just read an article on if Ross is good fit for GB...this was one crucial part:

• 26 catches, 452 yards, 5.7% drop rate, 48% catch rate, 8.1 yards/target
  • 28 catches, 506 yards, 17.5% drop rate, 50% catch rate, 9.0 yards/target
One of these players is 2019 Marquez Valdes-Scantling. The other is John Ross. I’ll leave it up to you to figure out which is which...

MVS is the first one...

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just read an article on if Ross is good fit for GB...this was one crucial part:

• 26 catches, 452 yards, 5.7% drop rate, 48% catch rate, 8.1 yards/target
  • 28 catches, 506 yards, 17.5% drop rate, 50% catch rate, 9.0 yards/target
One of these players is 2019 Marquez Valdes-Scantling. The other is John Ross. I’ll leave it up to you to figure out which is which...

MVS is the first one...

Statistically at least, looks like pretty much a wash. Although Ross has dropped a lot more

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
For a conditional later round pick, I see zero harm in this idea.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't think Ross would improve the Packers receiving corps but as Dantés pointed out it would make sense to take a look at him for a conditional late round pick.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
6th round pick for a WR picked in the 2nd round? Yes

Sub 4.3 40yd speed? Yes

On his rookie deal? Yes

Chip on his shoulder? Yes

Hell yea...call Cincy!!!

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They should sign brown... if Seattle gets him not good for anyone else in the nfc

Bojack

"All pro DL , you sure the hell dont play like it"
Reaction score
He's in the final year of his contract and the Bengals declined his 5th year option. I don't think Ross gets anything on the open market. But I think for a 6th Round pick that probably lands us a fringe player could be be worth a look?

We know Rodgers makes every WR on this roster better, and while we have MVS to take the top off a defense, Ross takes that to a whole new level, and I believe he possesses the ability to make catches MVS struggles to make. So even if he never lives up to his Draft status, I believe Ross could possibly "salvage" his career as a serviceable 3rd or 4th WR with Rodgers.

Also at 5'11, he can be that slot/gadget/YAC guy that we don't have with Ervin out, as well as being a noteworthy option in the kicking game.

The Packers currently have 2 open roster spots, worth a shot?
I think "bungals" think they should get a 4th. There are many Wr needy teams that will come calling. He will cost a 5th easily. We got a 6th for Davis. I have no problem with giving a 5th. Matt needs this type of recievier in his scheme. 4.2 on jet sweeps and quick pass then with the same formation drop it in over the top to MVS . With this edition we will have the final piece to what this offense needs to bad Bengals did not pick up 5th yr option cheap speed like this is hard to find.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brown is a hard sell for a lot of fans of Green Bay. The off the field stuff runs counter to the image Green Bay wants to uphold. I think adding Brown would bring back vibes of 2015, but I don't think the organization wants to handle the negative reaction.

Bojack

Reaction score
Brown is a hard sell for a lot of fans of Green Bay. The off the field stuff runs counter to the image Green Bay wants to uphold. I think adding Brown would bring back vibes of 2015, but I don't think the organization wants to handle the negative reaction.
Yeah Brown has some mental health issues and I dont say that to be funny. I really think he has some issues that I dont think he is mature enough to get help for or failed by putting wrong people in his inner circle. I have been hoping we trade a 5th or 6th and josh jackson to Dallas for Gallup. A better DT would be the best piece we could had really. I like our offense think we let every get to us and could not recover in that bucs game. I think Matt will see how he failed the interior run game would have worked and took pressure off of the oline.

Bojack

Reaction score
Send a 5th round pick.

Better idea, offer Steelers a 2nd and 3rd for JuJu.
Nah he is overrated is at best a teams #2 would not give up only a 3rd for him at best and thats if they called us. He will be looking to be paid and we have a #1 reciever already . He has not played great since AB left and now that Claypool is there he looks good again.

Members online