Joe Whitt / Winston Moss FIRED - merged threads

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I also rest my case that Whitt was not Pettine's guy and got forced on him. If that wasn't the case, Pettine would have told MLF to keep him.
While I am never 100% sure about something like this, unless the facts are 100% clear and accurate, I think its the most logical conclusion. Not to mention, how silly would the Packers look interviewing Whitt for the DC job and then immediately firing him....

Hope nobody realizes Joe Philbin was just interviewed for the HC job. :whistling:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
There are alternatives to him "getting forced" on Pettine-- replacements could now be available that were not last year, or he could have been open to Whitt but not enthused after actually coaching with him.

Or he could have been forced on him. But that's not the only conclusion to be made.

smacker

Smacker = Smack talking Packer Fan
Reaction score
What I see as important is the housecleaning of coaches, and I think it needs to continue.

Southside

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers officially kept Pettine as defensive coordinator on Friday, and two sources said it was not Pettine’s call to part ways with Whitt. Citing a source, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported that the decision on Whitt was likely made “by the front office.” Pettine, while hired by McCarthy, came aboard last year.

“They just want to move on from the guys who were with McCarthy the longest,” one league source told the State Journal. “They want to make a clean break.”

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers officially kept Pettine as defensive coordinator on Friday, and two sources said it was not Pettine’s call to part ways with Whitt. Citing a source, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported that the decision on Whitt was likely made “by the front office.” Pettine, while hired by McCarthy, came aboard last year.

“They just want to move on from the guys who were with McCarthy the longest,” one league source told the State Journal. “They want to make a clean break.”
which brings us to another question, is having coaches taken from your better, worse, or the same as having them "forced" on you? LOL We could keep this thing going for years.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
which brings us to another question, is having coaches taken from your better, worse, or the same as having them "forced" on you? LOL We could keep this thing going for years.

And as long as there are people who will claim to have 100% clear and perfect insight into what's going on, and the rest are just blind in their homerism or whatever, it will go on for years.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And as long as there are people who will claim to have 100% clear and perfect insight into what's going on, and the rest are just blind in their homerism or whatever, it will go on for years.
We probably need 2 distinct threads. "The FO needs to get out of LaFleur's Way" and "The FO needs to step in and force decisions when I want them too"

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

I'm sure the answer to that varies with each situation. What was the agreement in the employment contract? Guessing Pettine wasn't given exclusive or possibly any authority to be the guy who hires or fires his assistants. But when a firing and hiring of a defensive assistant happens, I really doubt Gute and/or LeFleur didn't at least consult with Pettine prior to making that decision. The firing of Moss might have been an exception to that.

Basically, whatever Pettine agreed to in his contract, he should be prepared to accept the outcomes.

Also, if the assistant coach is doing a good job and has a good relationship with the organization, Pettine and the players, why fire him?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He could have gotten fired for drinking all the coffee in the employee lounge after Winston Moss made a tweet for all I know. Maybe he has no couth and a courtesy flush was unbeknownst to him and the rest of the staff found it distracting. I don't know. Head coach is gone, a major house cleaning is hardly unexpected. He's been here for 10, 13, 16 years? I don't know but it's been a while. Very easily could have been nothing more than, it's time to move on. Or maybe he just sucks.

and I'm sure Pettine is probably ok with it, and will be involved with the choosing of his staff.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure the answer to that varies with each situation. What was the agreement in the employment contract? Guessing Pettine wasn't given exclusive or possibly any authority to be the guy who hires or fires his assistants. But when a firing and hiring of a defensive assistant happens, I really doubt Gute and/or LeFleur didn't at least consult with Pettine prior to making that decision. The firing of Moss might have been an exception to that.

Basically, whatever Pettine agreed to in his contract, he should be prepared to accept the outcomes.

Also, if the assistant coach is doing a good job and has a good relationship with the organization, Pettine and the players, why fire him?

It is confusing some times based on 'news' reports. Is LaFleur interviewing/hiring his assistants or is the FO?

I would think that if Pettine was not in favor of letting Whitt go and the FO did it anyway, that would cause problems, wouldn't it?

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We probably need 2 distinct threads. "The FO needs to get out of LaFleur's Way" and "The FO needs to step in and force decisions when I want them too"
Funny how some of the same people are taking both of those positions.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

And who could forget the "The FO needs to do something very particular that I want them to do that's sort of in between and only an idiot could fail to see how obvious this very particular thing that I want them to do is" thread.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Well of course, usually it's either the HC or GM making the final call. But Whitt was not Pettine's guy, and Pettine was not going to bat for him.

smacker

Smacker = Smack talking Packer Fan
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I see Offensive Line coach James Campen has taken a position with the Browns. It is not a surprise with the number of personnel people that have went from the Packers to the Browns. I guess my question is would this be a better position or is it bailing before being fired? Not that is really matters, it is an opening for a new coach. My next question is will the Packers have a new Strength and Conditioning coach? Something I see as badly needed.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He wasn’t fired, but they did allow him to interview. My guess is he felt like moving on and the Packers weren’t overly committed to him so they let him.

I’m guessing LaFleur thought I can use him, but I also have my eyes on others I think will work as well or better.

TornSolace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also rest my case that Whitt was not Pettine's guy and got forced on him. If that wasn't the case, Pettine would have told MLF to keep him.
Why would whitt be MLF or pettine's guy? He has underachieved for years and its suprising he has been there for so long so I dont know why anyone would think otherwise.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
He wasn’t fired, but they did allow him to interview. My guess is he felt like moving on and the Packers weren’t overly committed to him so they let him.

I’m guessing LaFleur thought I can use him, but I also have my eyes on others I think will work as well or better.

The rumor is that they're looking to hire San Francisco's Assistant OL coach, Adam Stenavich.

What's hilarious is that Stenavich actually played for the Packers under McCarthy and with Rodgers (2006-2007). He's only 35.

So it would seem that Petals wanted someone schooled in specifically coaching the Shanahan outside zone, which is the basis for so much of that offense.

I love Campen, but it's obviously for the best ultimately if they have the staff to match the scheme.

D

Deleted member 6794

I was surprised the Packers allowed Campen to interview with the Browns but it seems their thinking was similar to what you suggested.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I was surprised the Packers allowed Campen to interview with the Browns but it seems their thinking was similar to what you suggested.

Given the rumor that he's looking into SF's Assistant OL coach, it would seem that he wants someone with a background in coaching in Shanahan's offense.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like we're going to end up with a Staff of all young and hungry coaches wanting and needing to prove themselves. this will end gloriously, or tragically, or somewhere in between. I'll be here every day if anyone is need of some stellar prognostication.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

My understanding is that he kinda got a promotion. He is also associate HC if I'm not mistaken. I always liked him. Thought he did good work with the players he was given.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the Packers tried to keep Campen? I have to assume that they weren't that interested in doing so.

Some of these "add on titles" are kind of funny. Last year the Packers added to Campen's title "Run Game Coordinator" and at the time he even said that his role in that had not been defined. Some of these titles seem like window dressing or gold stars added on to a coach's job description, just to announce that they are a bit more important to a team than just the job that they are actually doing.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm going to assume if they were committed to keeping Campen, they would have just blocked his interview. At best I see it as a, we can work with your or without you situation. At worst a, you're under contract and if we can't get any of the others we want, you're a nice failsafe, situation. But it was probably closer to the first situation than the 2nd, and then toss on top, another team wanting his services and probably him wanting to go too they just allowed it.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see if and when former Packer coaches get re-hired by other teams and in what capacity. Of course some of that has to do with if that coach is interested in continuing to coach.

Campen and Raih immediately found new jobs. McCarthy, Moss, Zook, Whitt are still unemployed. I read that McCarthy has decided to take the next year off to spend it with his family in Green Bay.
'
Interesting article on McCarthy's interview with the Jets and why he didn't get the job. If you read between the lines the Jets felt a lot of MM's success was due to 2 HOF QB's and the guy they chose, Adam Gase was able to get more out of less talented QB's. Locker room discipline and attitude is also mentioned, but not sure if that was a knock on MM or just praising Gase for addressing it. Hints of MM wanting full control of who his staff would be seems to be another issue.

Maybe whomever wrote the article has been visiting our forum? :roflmao:

https://nypost.com/2019/01/14/jets-ceo-wants-fans-to-get-over-their-mike-mccarthy-regrets/

Last edited: