Jake Kumerow

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Eligible to return in time for Week eight against the Rams? Intrigued to see the Packers offense with Cobb and Allison returning. Rodgers favorite guy Kumerow. AND these rookie recievers coming in and doing work.

D

Deleted member 6794

Eligible to return in time for Week eight against the Rams? Intrigued to see the Packers offense with Cobb and Allison returning. Rodgers favorite guy Kumerow. AND these rookie recievers coming in and doing work.

While Kumerow will be allowed to practice next week he can't be activated from injured reserve until the Packers home games vs. the Dolphins.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Assuming that Cobb and Allison return from injury and that the position stays healthy, I don't think that we will see Kumerow this season. The other young WRs are doing well and have been there. With Kumerow, break glass only in case of emergency.

Reaction score
Assuming that Cobb and Allison return from injury and that the position stays healthy, I don't think that we will see Kumerow this season. The other young WRs are doing well and have been there. With Kumerow, break glass only in case of emergency.
While I also think Kumerow is an intriguing young player, our draft picks have so far, relatively, lived up to their potential.

There’s no reason to believe Kumerow will beat out the likes of a rising MVS or a returning solid playing Geronimo in the 2018 campaign.
For we already know at WR specifically, that Cobb and Adams are our primary targets and can both be dangerous if not accounted for.

I absolutely would however like to see him get back into practice and be injected into a live game where he can prove himself in the second half of this year. You can never have to many weapons for #12.

D

Deleted member 6794

I absolutely would however like to see him get back into practice and be injected into a live game where he can prove himself in the second half of this year. You can never have to many weapons for #12.

The Packers can only activate two players from injured reserve all season. Therefore Gutekunst might want to wait another few weeks before making a decision on which ones to bring back to the roster, especially with the team currently not in need of adding another receiver.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trevor Davis is also there. I think it would make more sense to activate him rather than kumerow if they’re going bring back a wr because I think his value as a returner over Montgomery and Tramon is greater than what Kumerow would provide given the emergence of the youngsters.

D

Deleted member 6794

Trevor Davis is also there. I think it would make more sense to activate him rather than kumerow if they’re going bring back a wr because I think his value as a returner over Montgomery and Tramon is greater than what Kumerow would provide given the emergence of the youngsters.

With the Packers currently being ranked 27th in punt return average you might be right about it.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score

No way. Davis sucks. He only returns the ball when he has a wide open path. He had more fair catches on returnable punts than anyone. He makes bad decisions as a returner. I'm all for cutting the guy. He has absolutely no value as a WR.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the Packers currently being ranked 27th in punt return average you might be right about it.
Davis's return average is overinflated. He doesn't even try unless he has a 10 yard cushion in front of him. He had one of the worst averages per punt fielded last year.

D

Deleted member 6794

would you rather have Kumerow at this point or Jmon Moore...I say let Kumerow suit this week...

Kumerow isn't eligible to play this week even if the Packers decide to activate him.

Davis's return average is overinflated. He doesn't even try unless he has a 10 yard cushion in front of him. He had one of the worst averages per punt fielded last year.

There's no doubt Davis has to improve his decision making but he's definitely the most explosive returner on the roster.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
That doesn't matter if he's afraid to return most punts. Cobb is better in every way.

Everyone freely admits that Davis needs to improve his decision making from last year, but he returned 24 punts and fair caught 22, so this is a mis-characterization.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone freely admits that Davis needs to improve his decision making from last year, but he returned 24 punts and fair caught 22, so this is a mis-characterization.

This was gone over in great detail months ago. His apprehensiveness to return punts is not in any way a mischaracterization.

https://www.packerforum.com/threads/roster-predictions.79888/page-5#post-782939

He only returned 52% of the punts he touched. That is about as low as it gets. Most good returners return at least 65% of the punts they field. Maybe he's fixed his bad decision-making. But who knows? He's barely touched a football since last year.

Last edited:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is eligible to return to practice, not to play.

The only way I would activate either of these guys is if they can play safety or OLB.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not in a hurry to activate either. I'd rather have Jaire, Tramon, Cobb returning punts, and I don't care if they only average 6 yds per return. If they took into account yards lost from boneheaded fair catches or letting the ball bounce or fair catch without anyone within 10 yards of him etc, he'd probably be at the bottom of the league. He offers zero in the passing game and 3 times he might show up in the return game. Who cares.

D

Deleted member 6794

That doesn't matter if he's afraid to return most punts. Cobb is better in every way.

Cobb has returned only seven of 12 punts he touched this season averaging only 6.6 yards per attempt. He's definitely not better than Davis in every way.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cobb has returned only seven of 12 punts he touched this season averaging only 6.6 yards per attempt. He's definitely not better than Davis in every way.

And why are you only looking at 7 of his 89 returns? Cobb's career average is 9.3. He's only 28 years old. It's not as if he's over the hill.

As for this year, a few of those returns were when he had guys bearing down on him which results in a lower yard per attempt. Davis probably wouldn't have even tried to return more than 4 or 5 of those punts. He cherry picks his return attempts. I also doubt he would have even touched 12 punts. He likes to let them go over his head if there is a defender within 5 yards of him. There were several times last year he would call for a fair catch and then abort the catch to let the ball hit the ground because he had someone in his face. If he improved his decision-making and fielded those punts and actually tried to return some of the ones where he could help the team by picking up 3 or 4 yards, his average would go down. But he only returns them if he has a big hole.

D

Deleted member 6794

And why are you only looking at 7 of his 89 returns? Cobb's career average is 9.3. He's only 28 years old. It's not as if he's over the hill.

As for this year, a few of those returns were when he had guys bearing down on him which results in a lower yard per attempt. Davis probably wouldn't have even tried to return more than 4 or 5 of those punts. He cherry picks his return attempts. I also doubt he would have even touched 12 punts. He likes to let them go over his head if there is a defender within 5 yards of him. There were several times last year he would call for a fair catch and then abort the catch to let the ball hit the ground because he had someone in his face. If he improved his decision-making and fielded those punts and actually tried to return some of the ones where he could help the team by picking up 3 or 4 yards, his average would go down. But he only returns them if he has a big hole.

Cobb's career average doesn't mean a whole lot at this point as 57 of those 89 punt returns occured in 2011 and '12.

Once again, there's absolutely no denying that Davis has to improve his decision making but on the other hand it's pretty obvious that he's the most explosive returner on the roster.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cobb's career average doesn't mean a whole lot at this point as 57 of those 89 punt returns occured in 2011 and '12.

It absolutely does mean a lot. He averaged 13.5 just 2 years ago and he's only 28. He hasn't lost any athleticism and if anything he's smarter than he was 6 years ago.

Once again, there's absolutely no denying that Davis has to improve his decision making but on the other hand it's pretty obvious that he's the most explosive returner on the roster.

Only when he wants to be, and that's only when he has a big hole. He has no interest in returning if there's only 3 or 4 yards to be gained. I'll take Cobb's decision-making over Davis's selective explosiveness all day long.

D

Deleted member 6794

It absolutely does mean a lot. He averaged 13.5 just 2 years ago and he's only 28. He hasn't lost any athleticism and if anything he's smarter than he was 6 years ago.

Only when he wants to be, and that's only when he has a big hole. He has no interest in returning if there's only 3 or 4 yards to be gained. I'll take Cobb's decision-making over Davis's selective explosiveness all day long.

Cobb had a total of only four punt returns in 2016. That's even a smaller sample size than this season. In addition he has definitely lost some athleticism compared to his first two years in the league.

It seems like you have a hard time understanding that no one is arguing that Davis mostly made good decisions. There's absolutely no doubt he's the most explosive returner on the Packers though.

Members online

Latest posts