Jaire Alexander

H

HardRightEdge

I saw someone dissecting that play earlier in the week on one of the networks, really impressive!

"Alexander the Great and His Glass King Kevin"
No shattered glass so far which surely beats the alternative.

We don't want to get ahead of ourselves, but this play along with the his play on the ball on the Diggs TD (broken down elsewhere) show something we have not seen in the Packers D-backfield since Woodson: a guy who can read, react and make a play outside the structure of the defensive play call.

Now, any knucklehead can do that with mixed results, play making mixed with burns. I can't say I've seen Alexander get burned yet on an "educated guess".

In this case, he seemed to know where Falco was going with the ball before Falco did.

Next step: Alexander against an elite, tall receiver to see if he can overcome the height disadvantage.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
No shattered glass so far which surely beats the alternative.

We don't want to get ahead of ourselves, but this play along with the his play on the ball on the Diggs TD (broken down elsewhere) show something we have not seen in the Packers D-backfield since Woodson: a guy who can read, react and make a play outside the structure of the defensive play call.

Now, any knucklehead can do that with mixed results, play making mixed with burns. I can't say I've seen Alexander get burned yet on an "educated guess".

In this case, he seemed to know where Falco was going with the ball before Falco did.

Next step: Alexander against an elite, tall receiver to see if he can overcome the height disadvantage.

I am going to attribute it all to Joe Whitt finally being shown the door! :whistling: ;) :roflmao: :cool:

H

HardRightEdge

I am going to attribute it all to Joe Whitt finally being shown the door! :whistling: ;) :roflmao: :cool:
At 3-0, possible whipping boys from the past abound! Can we "Fire Capers" again just for laughs? ;) Rodgers seems to be the only guy left to blame for anything bad that happens going forward. :whistling:

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jaire is one of the first guys I'd be willing to pay early to lock up...longer we wait the dude just keeps getting more and more expensive.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jaire is one of the first guys I'd be willing to pay early to lock up...longer we wait the dude just keeps getting more and more expensive.

He has a couple more years before they can even consider it I think.

On a side note I see where the Bucks were fined 50 grand for saying they were going to offer Giannis a supermax contract (whatever the hell that is) 50 grand may be a small price to pay for letting your star player know you are planning on giving him 250 million in the future.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At 3-0, possible whipping boys from the past abound! Can we "Fire Capers" again just for laughs? ;) Rodgers seems to be the only guy left to blame for anything bad that happens going forward. :whistling:
He’s been taking blame all along anyway.... might as well. lol

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Careful, we don't want the Forum getting fined $50K for talking about it. ;)

Too late. Please send me the $50k check for the fine made out to the governing body:

American Marketing Institute for Sports Heroic Men And Females International Association

Or AMISH MAFIA for short.

I will make sure it makes it to the right place.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Too late. Please send me the $50k check for the fine made out to the governing body:

American Marketing Institute for Sports Heroic Men And Females International Association

Or AMISH MAFIA for short.

I will make sure it makes it to the right place.

*SENT*

ignore the ticking sounds that you might hear coming from inside the package. :cool:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, Jaire is probably the first guy in a while I wish you could extend him right away. Barring an injury the dude IMO has proven he is a #1 CB for nearly every team in the league...and those don't grow on trees.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Honestly, Jaire is probably the first guy in a while I wish you could extend him right away. Barring an injury the dude IMO has proven he is a #1 CB for nearly every team in the league...and those don't grow on trees.

While I get what you are saying, with a limited amount of cap each year, hitting pay dirt with a rookie contract should be celebrated. I don't feel "too bad" for Jaire. He was given $12,050,687 on his 4 year rookie deal and as long as he keeps playing the way his is, he will be making way more than that yearly and could comfortably retire at the end of 4 years if he had invested his rookie deal wisely.

All that said, seems like the way of the NFL player, even some on rookie contracts, is to threaten sitting out, unless their contracts are increased at the first chance they can. This is one aspect of the NFL I do not like. Sign a contract, play it out til the end at the terms you agree to. Yes, the Packers always have the option to cut a player, but they don't have the option to say "we were paying you $10 M this year and you played like a $1M player, you owe us $1 M.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was critical of him but I wonder how much of his struggles were due to coaching. Haven’t seen the numbers yet but it seemed like he really started to thrive again once he was allowed to spend more time manning up the opponent’s #1.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was critical of him but I wonder how much of his struggles were due to coaching. Haven’t seen the numbers yet but it seemed like he really started to thrive again once he was allowed to spend more time manning up the opponent’s #1.
Yeah a lot of problems with the secondary were with Barry playing soft zone instead of man. IMO when you have talented, physical corners like Alexander, Stokes, Douglas, you play man. Eventually they got to that, but it was late in the season and the damage was done.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
imo playing Jaire in a zone does not play to his strength. And he always could be one on one with other players in zone. Bad use of personnel imho and a good reason to say goodbye to Barry. Not to mention the linebackers playing zone instead of picking up receivers that are obviously going to sit in the soft area. Like the 4th down reception against Detroit.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
imo playing Jaire in a zone does not play to his strength. And he always could be one on one with other players in zone. Bad use of personnel imho and a good reason to say goodbye to Barry. Not to mention the linebackers playing zone instead of picking up receivers that are obviously going to sit in the soft area. Like the 4th down reception against Detroit.
All good points. That 4th down conversion to Clark should have been covered. But that's Barry's defense - no matter the down and distance, sit back in zone and watch the offense march down the field bit by bit. Pathetic given the talent. I hope MLF is blowing smoke when he said he's fine with the entire coaching staff. Not after an 8-9 season. Changes have to be made, starting with Barry.

Hire an up and coming position coach. There must be a few out there.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does anybody remember what MLF said last year about the staff right after the season? He did hire a new ST coach.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does anybody remember what MLF said last year about the staff right after the season? He did hire a new ST coach.
I don't remember what MLF said but it was probably the same thing. As bad as Barry has been, the Packers' STs coach was awful last year and the unit cost them the Niners' game. But yeah, things change quickly in the NFL, and I suppose if I were MLF, I'd say the same thing - everything is fine - for now....... Barry's seat is still smoking.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He definitely did not say or imply that the ST coach job was safe at the conclusion of last season.

Members online

Latest posts