It's go time!!!

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After a little old school coaxing. I realized the Off season whine session needs to be over. Yeaaaaa. It was different.... Its new... Its youth taking the reigns...

I remember when #12 took over. There was major turmoil in packerdom.
I was one of the raging mad loyalists who wanted Favre... And didn't get Favre....
After a good week of straight *****ing.... I had a flip. I decided this young qb. If he was ever going to have ANY chance of success. He would need his loyal packer backers.....

Without all the fog of hatred. I had a clear view of Rodgers rise. And historic success winning the super bowl... It was awesome backing that underdog and winning it all... Better than going 15-1 and steamrolling through the playoffs. Imo. It was a glorious battle... And we won...

So I think.... Even though these obviously stoned mofos took too much and didn't get my Clemson nose. I am ready to saddle up and get ready for battle... :)

All this new speed.... We are going to Swarm........

Its go time!!!

H

HardRightEdge

September 5th. is go time. Given the raggedy play in the NFL the first few weeks, go time might be week 4 at home against the Eagles.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I always take the blame!
You da man old school. :)

And it was time to end my hold out anyways. Get back to work backing the pack...

Im optimistic... But my concern is injury..... I'm remembering back to the last championship... If I remember right, we had very few injuries ... The oline stayed intact I think .. The whole team came together midseason and peaked when other teams were breaking down.
In the same thought on the other side... If there was 10 min more in the game after woodson went out. I doubt we win it...

So injuries... Thats the missing link. We have the qb. We have the weapons offensive and defensive both. Just need to stay healthy...
And gute has made choices based on that , I believe... 2nd contract. Good injury histories... All the free agents should be there to contribute week 18 , if the numbers play out properly...

Gary..... Fastest 40 by a guy his size.... Ever?

D

Deleted member 6794

Im optimistic... But my concern is injury..... I'm remembering back to the last championship... If I remember right, we had very few injuries ... The oline stayed intact I think .. The whole team came together midseason and peaked when other teams were breaking down.
In the same thought on the other side... If there was 10 min more in the game after woodson went out. I doubt we win it...

So injuries... Thats the missing link. We have the qb. We have the weapons offensive and defensive both. Just need to stay healthy...
And gute has made choices based on that , I believe... 2nd contract. Good injury histories... All the free agents should be there to contribute week 18 , if the numbers play out properly...

According to Football Outsiders Adjusted Games Lost metric the Packers were the third most injured team when they won the Super Bowl in 2010.

That team had a lot of quality depth though.

H

HardRightEdge

You da man old school. :)

And it was time to end my hold out anyways. Get back to work backing the pack...

The 2010 injury losses were considerable with several starters missing large chunks of the season. Scroll to the bottom of the following link. Red boxes are missed games:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/gnb/2010_injuries.htm

As for the O-Line, Taucher missed the back half of the season. Perhaps the biggest loss was Ryan Grant. The running game was anemic all season with Brandon Jackson as the #1 until they plugged Starks in at the end of the season and for the playoffs.

What the chart does not show is Woodson going out of the Super Bowl in the first half with a broken collar bone. Shields also went out in the first half, but came back for the second and the defense held it together.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree on the number and extent of injuries. What I always come back to, though, is that those injuries were either to (1) "who's that?" players, (2) players who were replaced with better options, or (3) players who were replaced with guys who had career years. Obviously, room for debate on certain guys/positions, but, overall, it was the definition of "next man up".

H

HardRightEdge

Agree on the number and extent of injuries. What I always come back to, though, is that those injuries were either to (1) "who's that?" players, (2) players who were replaced with better options, or (3) players who were replaced with guys who had career years. Obviously, room for debate on certain guys/positions, but, overall, it was the definition of "next man up".
You evidently did not look at the link in the my post just above yours. There are quite a few guys who were not "who's that?" players that missed half the games or more.

If it was "next man up" then why assume it would not be this time? Wait, I know the answer.

2010 had a very strong defensive core playing at the peaks of their careers: Raji, Matthews, Jenkins, Hawk, Woodson, Collins and Tramon Williams, a group that missed only three games between them, all Jenkins. Then Harris came off PUP midseason for the run. The QB and WRs were a strong offensive core as well even if the Finley dynamic wasn't replaced. Good O-Line with only Taucher missing the back half of the season. The notable "next men up" were Bishop for Barnett (addition by subtraction in my opinion), and Starks taking over the #1 RB position though that was a Jackson performance issue not an injury situation.

In short, the key difference between then and now is the 2010 team had a very strong roster and nearly all the core difference makers missed few games. You might say that team underperformed getting to 10-6 were it not for the lousy running game before Starks was installed.

This roster? A lot of new vets and unproven talent which makes getting to that critcal mass of core high performers a question mark.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Apparently a situation of two people looking at the same thing and seeing it differently.

Did look at the link. Agree that there were a number of significant players who were injured. Hence, my (2) and (3) comments.

Agree that 'next man up' most likely wouldn't work this year, because we don't have the (2) and (3) types of players.

Biggest disconnect is that I wasn't considering this year when making my comments. I was just reiterating my viewpoint on 2010 injuries.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s a QB (and coach’s) league. We’ve supposedly had the QB with one title/appearance to show for it. If we leave the Favre/Rodgers era without another title it will represent by far the biggest squandering of QB talent in NFL history. Thank god (was it Philly?) missed a short FG so we could even back into the playoffs in 2010. I don’t want to hear about injuries or new systems, youngest roster blah blah blah. In the Army we had a saying. Maximum effective range of an excuse is ZERO meters. Anything other than an NFC North title this year will represent FAILURE.

H

HardRightEdge

Apparently a situation of two people looking at the same thing and seeing it differently.

Did look at the link. Agree that there were a number of significant players who were injured. Hence, my (2) and (3) comments.

Agree that 'next man up' most likely wouldn't work this year, because we don't have the (2) and (3) types of players.

Biggest disconnect is that I wasn't considering this year when making my comments. I was just reiterating my viewpoint on 2010 injuries.
None of your (1), (2) and (3) accounted for the number and quality of core players at their peak performance who were not injured.

Reaction score
It’s a QB (and coach’s) league. We’ve supposedly had the QB with one title/appearance to show for it. If we leave the Favre/Rodgers era without another title it will represent by far the biggest squandering of QB talent in NFL history. Thank god (was it Philly?) missed a short FG so we could even back into the playoffs in 2010. I don’t want to hear about injuries or new systems, youngest roster blah blah blah. In the Army we had a saying. Maximum effective range of an excuse is ZERO meters. Anything other than an NFC North title this year will represent FAILURE.
So that means the 2010 season is deemed a failure? We were a 6th seed and Chicago won our Division. I don’t think you meant that, but lots of ways to have success.

If we get into the playoffs in any format at 10-6 or
11-5 etc.. and win at least one playoff game I’d consider that a success. Anything past that (such as making the Championship game or SB) would be considered a huge success for a 1st year coach.

D

Deleted member 6794

Well, the impressive thing about the 2010 team was that Thompson had put together a roster with a ton of quality depth capable of making up for several key injuries.

Reaction score
Well, the impressive thing about the 2010 team was that Thompson had put together a roster with a ton of quality depth capable of making up for several key injuries.
Go Starks! I don’t think Dexter will disappoint. But I know you won’t believe me :roflmao:

Bojack

"All pro DL , you sure the hell dont play like it"
Reaction score
Packers depth is bad in a few but important positions that cant just have the next guy up mentality to over come with out trades. Our lack of ilb depth. Ot looks grim if injuries come up. Like the gaurd and center depth. Rb with out Jones. Saftey, Te and cb depth have to be our strongest i would have said dline but that changed in a hurry.

Reaction score
Our lack of ilb depth.
Ironically, it’s not so much not having decent backups that are serviceable for rotating, but more not having an adequate starter opposite Martinez.
Burks, Bolton and Crawford would all make decent backups (still to early to tell with Ty)

1 more top coverage LB to compliment Martinez on the other side and we become very intriguing

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Packers depth is bad in a few but important positions that cant just have the next guy up mentality to over come with out trades. Our lack of ilb depth. Ot looks grim if injuries come up. Like the gaurd and center depth. Rb with out Jones. Saftey, Te and cb depth have to be our strongest i would have said dline but that changed in a hurry.

I agree the Packers lack quality depth at inside linebacker but am not as worried about the other positions you mentioned.

In addition I don't believe the talent level on the defensive line took a significant blow with Daniels being released.

Ironically, it’s not so much not having decent backups that are serviceable for rotating, but more not having an adequate starter opposite Martinez.
Burks, Bolton and Crawford would all make decent backups (still to early to tell with Ty)

With neither of them having any experience the Packers simply don't know if one of them would even present a decent backup.

Gutekunst should definitely add a veteran at the position before the start of the season.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This squad is nowhere near the 2010 one in both talent and depth. Only at OLB and does the current Packer team surpass the 2010 team in depth. I would argue that only at o line and rb is this team better than the 2010 team in starting talent. The 2010 team underperformed during the regular season but then turned it up a notch in the playoffs. "Go Time" starts Sept 5th !

D

Deleted member 6794

This squad is nowhere near the 2010 one in both talent and depth. Only at OLB and does the current Packer team surpass the 2010 team in depth. I would argue that only at o line and rb is this team better than the 2010 team in starting talent. The 2010 team underperformed during the regular season but then turned it up a notch in the playoffs. "Go Time" starts Sept 5th !

This year's team definitely has several question marks entering the season but that was true in 2010 as well. Hopefully the talent level will be better than a lot of people seem to give the Packers credit for at this point.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's probably much like he said last time everyone was so concerned he didn't play in the preseason a few years ago now.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Gutekunst should definitely add a veteran at the position before the start of the season.

Captain, I'm banking on THIS. No way do you start the regular season with the current ILB group.

Gute went out and traded for Antonio Morrison last year on August 26th. The Colts got a safety that they needed (Lenzey Pipkins) and the Packers got an ILB that they needed at the time.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts