If You Could Add One Player.....

Don Barclay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we're talking a position, I would go tackle or center. If we're talking specific individuals, I think F.J. Barry is my choice.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I suppose I should ask for an OT, but you can't have too many great DEs, for having a big impact on the game.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
no thanks on an opinion? thought that was what this was not a gauntlet
Did I not engage the conversation in a manner in which you approve? My apologies. I didn't mean to offend. Perhaps the humor was lost in translation. I'll try to do better.

Reaction score
I'd take any OL right about now. Yes, LT would be great but there are issues up and down that line right now.
We’re about to get our LG back I suspect either Monday night OR after the Bye. That will help some.

I’m beginning to think we’re trying too hard to get cute on OL.
You can’t tell me (not you literally I mean they) that Royce Newman is our best 5 left. If he’s better then the other guys on our Roster were in need of at least 3-4 OL in this draft and FA

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'm going to tweak the OP's prompt. If I could add any one player that's likely to be a trade candidate from a team that's likely to be a seller at the deadline, I would want:

Khalil Herbert, RB, Chicago

1) Anyone the Packers might add should be young. There's no point in adding an older veteran to try and give them a boost this season. They aren't chasing a title right now.

2) I would not want anyone that would be a "progress stopper" for a younger player on the roster. I don't want a veteran tackle; I want to see what the Packers have in their younger guys. I don't want a veteran wide receiver; I want Watson, Doubs, Reed, Wicks, etc. to play all the snaps and develop.

3) If they added anyone, I would want that player to be someone who can help us get a better assessment of Love. Right now, the running game is struggling and putting too much on Love's arm. In part, that's due to offensive line injuries which, with the exception of Bakhtiari, should improve. But the other problem is that the runners after Jones plain stink. Herbert is a gifted runner.

4) Given that Herbert is a former 6th round running back with one year left on his rookie deal, he wouldn't be expensive on the cap and he shouldn't cost more than a mid round pick to acquire. He also has one more season remaining, which would help them bridge the gap to life post Jones and Dillon.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score

1) Anyone the Packers might add should be young. There's no point in adding an older veteran to try and give them a boost this season. They aren't chasing a title right now.
Sounds reasonable. As long as we aren't going back to the '70s. I had flashbacks of that last week. Talk about cold sweats.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds reasonable. As long as we aren't going back to the '70s. I had flashbacks of that last week. Talk about cold sweats.
Brockington & Lane ground and pound don't do it for you? Well add in getting wasted with Chester Marcol the night before the game. (Don't let him forget where his glasses are.)

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm going to tweak the OP's prompt. If I could add any one player that's likely to be a trade candidate from a team that's likely to be a seller at the deadline, I would want:

2) I would not want anyone that would be a "progress stopper" for a younger player on the roster. I don't want a veteran tackle; I want to see what the Packers have in their younger guys. I don't want a veteran wide receiver; I want Watson, Doubs, Reed, Wicks, etc. to play all the snaps and develop.

3) If they added anyone, I would want that player to be someone who can help us get a better assessment of Love. Right now, the running game is struggling and putting too much on Love's arm. In part, that's due to offensive line injuries which, with the exception of Bakhtiari, should improve. But the other problem is that the runners after Jones plain stink. Herbert is a gifted runner.

4) Given that Herbert is a former 6th round running back with one year left on his rookie deal, he wouldn't be expensive on the cap and he shouldn't cost more than a mid round pick to acquire. He also has one more season remaining, which would help them bridge the gap to life post Jones and Dillon.

You can usually draft running backs, so I wouldn't trade for one unless it was an absolute steal. Herbert doesn't move the needle for me.

As far as backs still in college, I like the sophomore playing for Oregon Jordan James. I don't know if he's coming out after the season or not, but he looks NFL ready to me.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reaction score
The more I ponder it. I think adding a really good Safety/CB who can play both Run and Pass D at an high level.

I do also see Safety, James William from Miami as a good fit overall (3rd-4th Rounds) , maybe not as strong against the Run, yet. He’s big, fast and physical.

Terrion Arnold from ALabama (across from Kool-Aid) he could easily play Slot n has experience across from top Talent (such as Malik Nabers). Alabama has 2 premier DB’s and either would really help our team both in run or pass. Kool-Aid is currently better, but imo Arnold is going to be better with growth. He’s a 20 year old Sophomore and 1st Team SEC. Kid is going to be special

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you want a slot CB that would be an instant upgrade from Nixon that isn't going to take a massively high draft pick you HAVE TO bring up the best slot corner in this draft - Mike Sainristil - shorter cat at 5'10' but is one of those dogs on the field that you instantly toss the measurables. He doesn't play small, will rock a ball carrier and play through the whistle every single play.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
i think Dexter Lawrence of the Giants might help this team some. Don't know anything about his contract or injury status though.
I'm concerned that it may be difficult for us to get a good D-lineman in the upcoming draft.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think Dexter Lawrence of the Giants might help this team some. Don't know anything about his contract or injury status though.
I'm concerned that it may be difficult for us to get a good D-lineman in the upcoming draft.

Not at all - this upcoming draft there are a handful of guys that I bet if we used one of our second rounders would instantly jump everyone along our front and/or at worst would make having to resign Slaton not needed. Newton is really the only guy on many radars for first round.

I would love to see us nab one of the Texas guys...Sweat immediately makes the bigger Slaton a guy you can afford to just let walk...Murphy would come in and probably lead to Wyatt never reaching his potential because I see him outplaying him.

Reaction score
on D in a perfect world. Javon Kinlaw would be tremendous if paired with Kenny Clark. Obviously you can a difference when Quay is out, but Yeah Kinlaw would go a long ways to fixing the run D

For me fixing the Run would force teams to go 1 dimensional. It would also get them abused by our more Pass rush oriented DL.

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Not at all - this upcoming draft there are a handful of guys that I bet if we used one of our second rounders would instantly jump everyone along our front and/or at worst would make having to resign Slaton not needed. Newton is really the only guy on many radars for first round.

I would love to see us nab one of the Texas guys...Sweat immediately makes the bigger Slaton a guy you can afford to just let walk...Murphy would come in and probably lead to Wyatt never reaching his potential because I see him outplaying him.
So essentially you're saying that we would need a new DL coach since it might appear that he hasn't shown much in the development of the guys already in that position group?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So essentially you're saying that we would need a new DL coach since it might appear that he hasn't shown much in the development of the guys already in that position group?

Truthfully I think it's more a Wyatt thing. Slaton this year has been a surehanded big plugger more than I think many every thought he could be, and Wooden and Brooks are arguably progressing faster (may not be better quite yet overall) than Wyatt ever has.

The group seems to excel and making pressures but run defense we suck - that aspect needs to be better...and it is very hard for a guy who doesn't know intimately the playcalls on sunday or the practices during the week if that is more Barry or the players before Coach Montgomery

Reaction score
Truthfully I think it's more a Wyatt thing. Slaton this year has been a surehanded big plugger more than I think many every thought he could be, and Wooden and Brooks are arguably progressing faster (may not be better quite yet overall) than Wyatt ever has.

The group seems to excel and making pressures but run defense we suck - that aspect needs to be better...and it is very hard for a guy who doesn't know intimately the playcalls on sunday or the practices during the week if that is more Barry or the players before Coach Montgomery
I’ll be the first to say.. we might’ve struck out with Wyatt. He disappears entire games, it’s concerning. Rookie Karl Brooks is outplaying a Day1 selection.

I was a big supporter of Wyatt but he’s actually disappeared for the most part. I do wonder if he’s not being used properly though. That’s very possible. My opinion is Wyatt is suited better in a 4-man front

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’ll be the first to say.. we might’ve struck out with Wyatt. He disappears entire games, it’s concerning

So truth be told if Wyatt was a Third or Fourth rounder I think everyone would be content or vastly more so....but being a first rounder you would expect by now to have a clear starter level guy and you just don't feel that about him usually.

Reaction score
So truth be told if Wyatt was a Third or Fourth rounder I think everyone would be content or vastly more so....but being a first rounder you would expect by now to have a clear starter level guy and you just don't feel that about him usually.
Exactly. He plays like a 3rd Rounder. He’s not terrible. He’s just nowhere close to a top #28 or whatever.

I hear he can knock an apartment door smooth off the hinges though :whistling: