I’ll keep saying it.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong the situation throws me off, but I'm still curious as to what happened. Somebody's going to take a spin on him, and I just hate when we miss on players who could be studs for us and our now studs for our opposition. I'd especially be upset if he went to say, Detroit and now we have problems because he's turned into a star there.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
It was just a month ago that I recall someone saying that the Packers screwed up by not drafting him.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Gary and Charlton are both large edge players from Michigan, but that's where the similarities end. Athletically, Gary is on a different level.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong the situation throws me off, but I'm still curious as to what happened. Somebody's going to take a spin on him, and I just hate when we miss on players who could be studs for us and our now studs for our opposition. I'd especially be upset if he went to say, Detroit and now we have problems because he's turned into a star there.

I'm gonna go ahead and say that a 1st round pick, cut before his rookie contract is up, isn't going to become a star.

He's just not good.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gary and Charlton are both large edge players from Michigan, but that's where the similarities end. Athletically, Gary is on a different level.

I say similar and here's why, but I do give Gary the edge:

Gary
40 - 4.58
Bench - 26
Vert - 38
Broad - 120
3 Cone - 7.26
20 - 4.29

Taco
40 - 4.92 (4.80 Pro Day)
Bench - 25
Vert - 33
Broad - 116
3 Cone - 7.17
20 - 4.39

So yes, Gary is the faster athlete, but that's why he's going to play with his hand in the dirt as well as from a 2 point stance. Taco however would be squarely just in the D-Line mix.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A guy like this will turn it around because of it or will perpetually under achieve and be on 4 different teams in the next 3 years. Well worth picking up and seeing....IMO.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lets see . . .

• Several injuries requiring surgery
  • Very little production
  • Benched multiple times because of attitude issues
  • Couldnt beat out a 6th round rookie
  • Coaches complained he was lazy and didnt seem to care much
  • Abrasive towards teammates

I was about to say no, but then recalled he was a first round pick, so HELL YES!

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A guy like this will turn it around because of it or will perpetually under achieve and be on 4 different teams in the next 3 years. Well worth picking up and seeing....IMO.

Thank you. Somebody finally with some optimism! I'm not saying Taco will be an instant HOF. He may flame out here as well. But he possessed first round talent, had 19 career sacks at Michigan to include a 10 sack performance his senior year. He's dirt cheap as a rookie and to my knowledge had no huge issues at Dallas. What do we have to lose until the 2020 Draft?

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lets see . . .

• Several injuries requiring surgery
  • Very little production
  • Benched multiple times because of attitude issues
  • Couldnt beat out a 6th round rookie
  • Coaches complained he was lazy and didnt seem to care much
  • Abrasive towards teammates

I was about to say no, but then recalled he was a first round pick, so HELL YES!

Fine, he'll goto the Raiders or the Jets then. OR he goes to the Patriots and some how in 12 weeks gets 12 sacks.

But this release could be his wake up call to turn it around. Just saying. Pettine might hold more sway on him then Rod Marinelli.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fine, he'll goto the Raiders or the Jets then. OR he goes to the Patriots and some how in 12 weeks gets 12 sacks.

But this release could be his wake up call to turn it around. Just saying. Pettine might hold more sway on him then Rod Marinelli.

Right. Cause Marinelli is known for being a bum of a DL coach.

Lol.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Not impossible, but not very probable. A guy like this you would have to sit him down and try and figure out what he is thinking before committing a roster spot to.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right. Cause Marinelli is known for being a bum of a DL coach.

Lol.

Not impossible, but not very probable. A guy like this you would have to sit him down and try and figure out what he is thinking before committing a roster spot to.

I'm not questioning Marinelli's ability to coach, but some coaches have a way of reaching athletes others can't. There's a reason why some high school recruits will love Dabo Sweeney, but not care for Nick Saban and vice versa. It's just a matter of personality.

EDIT - I might be on to something here. Marinelli would come from the Tony Dungy coaching tree where Pettine would come from the Brian Billick coaching tree.

Last edited:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not questioning Marinelli's ability to coach, but some coaches have a way of reaching athletes others can't. There's a reason why some high school recruits will love Dabo Sweeney, but not care for Nick Saban and vice versa. It's just a matter of personality.
Im a strong believer that coaching is much more important than talent.

But that doesnt matter with a lazy inmature kid with an attitude problem. Very often, these sorts never live up to their potential. And its too expensive and risky to wait for them to grow up.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I say similar and here's why, but I do give Gary the edge:

Gary
40 - 4.58
Bench - 26
Vert - 38
Broad - 120
3 Cone - 7.26
20 - 4.29

Taco
40 - 4.92 (4.80 Pro Day)
Bench - 25
Vert - 33
Broad - 116
3 Cone - 7.17
20 - 4.39

So yes, Gary is the faster athlete, but that's why he's going to play with his hand in the dirt as well as from a 2 point stance. Taco however would be squarely just in the D-Line mix.

I say different because since 2000, there is only one prospect who has run a sub 4.60 forty at 275+ and it's Gary. And since 2000, there has only been one prospect with a better vertical than Gary at 275+ (Mario Williams). He's only one of only five prospects to have a 120" broad jump at 275+ since 2000.

We don't know what Gary will be as a player, but as an explosive athlete he is in rare, rare company and on a different planet than Charlton.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Damn, I like like Taco Tuesdays!

No Soft Taco Wednesday for me.

Now pass the Clark bar. Brown my steaks with some Lowry seasoning and while you are at it give me a Sam Adams beer!

*BURP*

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tough to predict. There are a good dozen players who the Packers could take. TJ Watt is who I think is most likely. There are 4 or 5 CBs that will be available as well. McCaffery would be a great addition. I dont think Lamp or Taco are on the Packers radar. TT doesnt value OG very highly and Taco has questions about motivation.

From the draft thread.

I remember not liking him, but i dont recall why i said he had motivational issues. But it was there in college.

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

We need more lazy players with attitudes. Is Brent Fullwood still around?

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CBS Sports is reporting that Taco requested the trade, and when Dallas couldn't find one that they mutually agreed to part ways and so Dallas released him. Seems like Taco could be looking for a fresh start. Dallas might have been willing to hold on to him at least until his contract expired.

EDIT - My last ditch effort, cut Malik Taylor and place Taco on the practice squad?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I’ll say this. I know he’s been lukewarm last season etc.. but I watched the last 2 Dallas preseason games and he absolutely reaped havoc against the Texans. Granted it was preseason, but I actually thought he won a starting spot after that game.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw pieces of that game as well. Maybe coming up short, and then going to a team that is also still considered a "contender" with a chance to stick it to Dallas in the regular season AND the playoffs could be all the motivation he needs.

Reaction score
I saw pieces of that game as well. Maybe coming up short, and then going to a team that is also still considered a "contender" with a chance to stick it to Dallas in the regular season AND the playoffs could be all the motivation he needs.
Exactly. I think often times players get motivated when they don’t feel appreciated. Sometimes negative emotion can be as big a motivator as positive encouragement.
As Packer fans, we’ve been on the other end of that with losing several of our players in recent years.

Members online