how important are stats

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK GB is 4-0, great. some people are pounding their chest about the great job TT has done. How defense is the heart of the team. i was really suprised when i saw where the team ranks in defensive stats.

overall we are 19th,
takeaways we are 9th,
23rd in giving up passing yards
15th giving up rushing yards
points allowed 9th

do the packers have a top flight defense? I feel right now the defense is good, but not great.

we still have no running game, out first two draft picks in the 2007 draft are invisible, but hey we are 4-0 so who cares!

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
I'm sure those stats are amplified by this most recent game, at least in the rushing yards and such.

All that matters in the end if the # of wins and losses.

OP
OP
D

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure those stats are amplified by this most recent game, at least in the rushing yards and such.

All that matters in the end if the # of wins and losses.

OK, but aren't other teams going to try and exploit the Packers defense the way the Vikes have?

and what about the passing stats?
I thought we had shut down corners, and a great pass rush.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
arrowgargantuan said:
we f'n stink.

maybe i should be banned for trying to start a discussion about football on a packer forum..........

b/c we are 4-0 so why discuss anything!

i don't get it.

look at those ranking buddy, it's pretty clear we aren't that good. thats what i want to discuss all day, how deceiving our record really is, and why we will be in the toilet by the seasons end.

so i'll say it again, we f'n stink!

ban that dh!

OP
OP
D

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dhpackr said:
arrowgargantuan said:
we f'n stink.

maybe i should be banned for trying to start a discussion about football on a packer forum..........

b/c we are 4-0 so why discuss anything!

i don't get it.

look at those ranking buddy, it's pretty clear we aren't that good. thats what i want to discuss all day, how deceiving our record really is, and why we will be in the toilet by the seasons end.

so i'll say it again, we f'n stink!

ban that dh!

well sir, you have a great evening.

i think teams will be trying to take advantage of bush, and our defense that was so great at stopping the run.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think stats at this point can be somewhat deceiving but as the season wears on they definately tell a story.

After just four games it's hard to tell a lot. A team could go up against three of four teams with a stout running game or very good passing game and their stats don't look that great.

Another team at this point in the season could be the beneficiaries of playing teams that can't throw it at all and their pass d looks great....for now.

As the season goes on, however, the stats will start reflecting where teams stand and there's no arguing history. SB teams generally always rank in the top five on defense and most often top three.

Going back to 2000 only one team's defense was outside of the top five defenses and won the SB. There's more there than coincidence.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
OK GB is 4-0, great. some people are pounding their chest about the great job TT has done. How defense is the heart of the team. i was really suprised when i saw where the team ranks in defensive stats.

overall we are 19th,
takeaways we are 9th,
points allowed 9th

do the packers have a top flight defense? I feel right now the defense is good, but not great.

we still have no running game, out first two draft picks in the 2007 draft are invisible, but hey we are 4-0 so who cares!

Maybe its just me, but this is getting on my nerves.

Who the hell is pounding their chest boasting, gloating or whatever about how GREAT Ted is and how great of a job he has done? From what I've read and I do read quite often, I've seen people happy we are 4 - 0 and understand we need a running game to make it far.

I haven't seen anyone go I TOLD YOU SO HAHA POUND CHEST POUND CHEST, I WAS RIGHT YOU SUCK or any of that garbage that keeps repeatedly being stated.

The people who bashed Ted's every move, every **** break, every glance and what not are unable to conceive the notion that ... maybe, MAYBE Ted knows what the hell he is doing more than THEY do.

Face it, Packer fans are just happy we are winning. NO one is gloating, no one is boasting about Ted, so stop preaching fictional recycled trash to intelligent people. No one is stupid enough to fall for it.

Okay, now that I got that off my ... POUND POUND chest...

I think stats are telling if you are smart enough to factor in the non statistical factors and as long as you don't take the number as 100% telling tale.

Many have us listed in the top five in the league for instance. I disagree. I think we're about 7th - 9th best team in the league right now.

OP
OP
D

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dhpackr said:

overall we are 19th,
takeaways we are 9th,
points allowed 9th

Who the hell is pounding their chest boasting, gloating or whatever about how GREAT Ted is and how great of a job he has done? From what I've read and I do read quite often, I've seen people happy we are 4 - 0 and understand we need a running game to make it far.

I haven't seen anyone go I TOLD YOU SO HAHA POUND CHEST POUND CHEST, I WAS RIGHT YOU SUCK or any of that garbage that keeps repeatedly being stated.

The people who bashed Ted's every move, every **** break, every glance and what not are unable to conceive the notion that ... maybe, MAYBE Ted knows what the hell he is doing more than THEY do.

Face it, Packer fans are just happy we are winning. NO one is gloating, no one is boasting about Ted, so stop preaching fictional recycled trash to intelligent people. No one is stupid enough to fall for it.

Okay, now that I got that off my ... POUND POUND chest...

I think stats are telling if you are smart enough to factor in the non statistical factors and as long as you don't take the number as 100% telling tale.

Many have us listed in the top five in the league for instance. I disagree. I think we're about 7th - 9th best team in the league right now.

OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!
do you have dual personalities????????????????
you brang up a bunch of old threads, and some one else started another thread dedicated to the i told you so about TT!
take your meds and relax.

axelred13

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll throw another stat I heard today into the mix.

The Packers are 4-0...GREAT!...but the teams we beat have a combined record of 5-11.

I too think the defense has been overrated by a number of "experts".

but like someone earlier said, there is only one stat that matters at the end of the day.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!
you brang up a bunch of old threads, and some one else started another thread dedicated to the i told you so about TT!
I've tried sticking up for you, saying you just need to take a minute to think before you post, but obviously what is said about you, is true.

Read my post again and maybe you will understand. If not, I will assist you.

I dug up a few threads with the Ted bashing to see if those people who had harsh opinions had changed them at all or if they were still holding true.

One person said it was an I told you so method and others who are mindless followed suit.

Then there was the thread created you had mentioned.

Which is why I just posted what I did. I'm tired of the fictional ******** being thrown around. Read...

Piece it all together now buddy, I know you can do it, I know you can find the logic in what I posted and maybe you can be smarter than those who just mindlessly follow suit with the fictional bull-garbage of "i told u so" crap.

OP
OP
D

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dhpackr said:
OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I've tried sticking up for you, saying you just need to take a minute to think before you post, but obviously what is said about you, is true.

I dug up a few threads with the Ted bashing to see if those people who had harsh opinions had changed them at all or if they were still holding true.

One person said it was an I told you so method and others who are mindless followed suit.

Which is why I just posted what I did. I'm tired of the fictional ******** being thrown around. Read...

Piece it all together now buddy, I know you can do it, I know you can find the logic in what I posted and maybe you can be smarter than those who just mindlessly follow suit with the fictional bull-garbage of "i told u so" crap.

i say
you can take the boy from the country, but you will never take the country from a boy

do not **** on my back and tell me it is raining

if it quacks like a duck, it is a duck

you have a weak mind , and are full of ****!!

I am born and raised in Milwaukee Wisconsin, where the weak are killed and eaten

support your local outlaw!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
dhpackr said:
OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i say
you can take the boy from the country, but you will never take the country from a boy

do not **** on my back and tell it is raining

Can this guy get banned? Is that possible?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
dhpackr said:
OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i say

do not **** on my back and tell me it is raining

I am born and raised in Milwaukee Wisconsin, where the weak are killed and eaten

support your local outlaw!

Since I didn't take all my meds, I'll give you whats left.

OP
OP
D

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dhpackr said:
Zero2Cool said:
dhpackr said:
OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i say

do not **** on my back and tell it is raining

Can this guy get banned? Is that possible?

AND OH YEAH, SNITCHES ARE A DIEING BREED!!!!!

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stats bear this out.

Packers are tough inside the 20. Even the mighty Charger offense struggled and the Vikings who otherwise moved the ball vs. the Pack struggled as they got closer to the endzone.

Packers are not a DOMINANT defense as the stats bear out but, they sure can play inside the redzone and will be feared throught the season.

Call them Tough when it counts, or bend but don't break but call them if you need a good defense as the opponents get closer to the Endzone.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

overall we are 19th,
takeaways we are 9th,
points allowed 9th

Looks like we're going off topic here so I want to reply to the original post because it is important.

Do stats matter? Yes. With an asterisk.

There are 2 stats that are above all else - Points For, and Points Against. We are #8 in PF, #9 in PA.

As for defensive yards, I'm not at all concerned because we're designed to bend and not break. Opposing Os get a few first downs here and there, roll up some stats, then either are forced to punt or turn the ball over. It looks bad on paper, but our #9 PA speaks for itself. Where it really matters is they don't score much. With opposing QBs dancing around back there, sooner or later, Kampman or KGB will get them and they'll have to punt.

As for offensive yards, yes, we are currently having problems running. But that's ok given who we've been playing. MN is #1 against the run. #1. DO NOT run against MN. It's like attacking a tank with a stick. That's just dumb.

The NYG had a poor pass defense. So, pass! Screw the run. It worked.

The Chargers had a good front 7 but a mediocre DB. So once again, screw the run. Let Favre beat Rivers in a shootout. That's what we did, and it worked.

Da Bears have four for four of their starting DB from the beginning of the year not starting now. So once again, screw the run. Pass! It will work. That's what the Lions did and look what happened.

When we play a team with a poor run D, run the ball down their throats.

I understand your concerns, but don't worry. We'll be fine. We're #8 in O, #9 in D. We'll probably go 12-4 and lose in the Championship Game to the Cowboys this year, then win the SB next year (as long as my main man Brett Favre comes back). I'm sure TT will patch up our holes in the next off season.

OP
OP
D

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dhpackr said:

overall we are 19th,
takeaways we are 9th,
points allowed 9th

Looks like we're going off topic here so I want to reply to the original post because it is important.

Do stats matter? Yes. With an asterisk.

There are 2 stats that are above all else - Points For, and Points Against. We are #8 in PF, #9 in PA.

As for defensive yards, I'm not at all concerned because we're designed to bend and not break. Opposing Os get a few first downs here and there, roll up some stats, then either are forced to punt or turn the ball over. It looks bad on paper, but our #9 PA speaks for itself. Where it really matters is they don't score much. With opposing QBs dancing around back there, sooner or later, Kampman or KGB will get them and they'll have to punt.

As for offensive yards, yes, we are currently having problems running. But that's ok given who we've been playing. MN is #1 against the run. #1. DO NOT run against MN. It's like attacking a tank with a stick. That's just dumb.

The NYG had a poor pass defense. So, pass! Screw the run. It worked.

The Chargers had a good front 7 but a mediocre DB. So once again, screw the run. Let Favre beat Rivers in a shootout. That's what we did, and it worked.

Da Bears have four for four of their starting DB from the beginning of the year not starting now. So once again, screw the run. Pass! It will work. That's what the Lions did and look what happened.

When we play a team with a poor run D, run the ball down their throats.

I understand your concerns, but don't worry. We'll be fine. We're #8 in O, #9 in D. We'll probably go 12-4 and lose in the Championship Game to the Cowboys this year, then win the SB next year (as long as my main man Brett Favre comes back). I'm sure TT will patch up our holes in the next off season.

great post. i hope it all happens! and that is all i wanted, different opinions, from different posters.
big deal

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
great post. i hope it all happens! and that is all i wanted, different opinions, from different posters.
big deal

Thanks DH. I just try to see the whole picture when I look at stats. Yes, stats are important, but you have to understand their context.

Members online

Latest posts