How about that? Coach fired.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
This version of the Bucks should come with a warning.

************************WARNING**************************

This team will most likely not perform up to expectations during any given quarter, half or game. Watch at your own risk.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Bucks defy statistics like those. They will win a game 140-105, then lose the next one 120-105. That would give them a net +10, but let's face it, they're still 1-1 in the won/lost column.

Reality is, they're super good against weak teams and fold against good teams, even blowing leads to them on a regular basis.
They can find ways to lose to weak teams too.

OP
OP
weeds

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Two bad teams in a row. I mean BAD. ..and Doc is 15-15 since taking over -- this has all of the earmarks of a Ray Rhodes type debacle.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Two bad teams in a row. I mean BAD. ..and Doc is 15-15 since taking over -- this has all of the earmarks of a Ray Rhodes type debacle.
If it doesn't happen before the season ends, it will happen as soon as they are out of the playoffs...

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If it doesn't happen before the season ends, it will happen as soon as they are out of the playoffs...

Before ownership does anything, they need to dump Horst, and possibly even the President, and get people in who know how to handle an NBA franchise. At that point, they need to decide if they are willing to bite the bullet and dump Rivers as HC, and get someone else, who they can work with, to see if this roster can effectively be modified to be a winner. If that's not the case, they need to start peeling people away through trades that gives them some capital to get players who can make a difference. To me, that means trading solid players for #1 picks, to teams that are still going to be a shoe-in for a lottery pick. If you can end up with two lottery picks for two years in a row, you should certainly be able to find the nucleus for one heckuva ride back to the top.

In my opinion, absolutely nobody on the roster should be safe, including Giannis. As great as his game is, when the legs start to go, the whole game will disappear, and he'd be a big bucks anchor.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm not going to look it up, but I remember seeing that most of the Bucks future draft picks for the next 5-6 years have been dealt to other teams. So that puts them in a definite bind. Looking at the current team, really their only valuable trade pieces are Giannis and Lillard. So yeah, if they decide to go another direction, their only option will be to trade 1 or both of those guys to do a major rebuild.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not going to look it up, but I remember seeing that most of the Bucks future draft picks for the next 5-6 years have been dealt to other teams. So that puts them in a definite bind. Looking at the current team, really their only valuable trade pieces are Giannis and Lillard. So yeah, if they decide to go another direction, their only option will be to trade 1 or both of those guys to do a major rebuild.
It would be the only hope to rebuild from what I can see. Maybe they could hold onto guys like Connie, and Lopez, despite his age. Also, all the lower pay scale guys. With the cap room they'd clear, getting rid of the 3 huge contracts, and adding #1 picks, they could bring in a top level FA or two, and do major improvements that would take a year or two to blossom.

The thing is, they either do it at the end of this year, or they lose all leverage. Lillard has only one more year under contract, and I believe Giannis has an opt out after next year, so you could lose both and get zip for them.

The problem is, if Horst stays, he's going to try to save face, and make it work, and lose these assets without much in return. He threw away the future the day he went all in to get Lillard, when Holiday was by far the better player for the team from a team perspective. The last thing we needed was a pouting super star, and that's what we got.

As far as role players, the majority are aging out on us, and some will decide to go elsewhere instead of sticking with a team that's going to flounder. The only three that I would honestly try to keep would be Lopez, Connaughton, and Portis, because all three of them are pure team players, who will sacrifice their own game to make the team better. They'll never be stars, but they are what's needed to surround stars.

So, what would I look for in picks? I'd be willing to sacrifice for the next draft to get a real haul the following year. I'd say take 2nds for the 2024 draft, and get firsts for the stars in 2025 & 2026. Give away the 2024/25 season to get your own lottery pick in 2025, and sit on top of 3 firsts in each of two years, and possibly give away next year's #2, if we have one, to get a #1 for Middleton in 2026.

That would give you a full nucleus of players in first contracts, young, and the future, along with the better FAs you can afford to grab without the super star contracts we have now. It's just a matter of picking guys that are budding super stars through free agency, and letting them blossom while making mistakes.

Giving away one or two years to become a powerhouse is the way to build a dynasty, if you have coaches and a front office who understands the chemistry of the game. Quite honestly, we don't have that, and Doc Rivers is not the guy to try to reach the promised land with at the helm.

But that's all just my opinion, and all possible. The problem is, they won't think it through. They'll make dumba$$ decisions.

OP
OP
weeds

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Yikes and gazook! 3 losses in a row to sub'.500 teams. I got nuthin" to say... except ... yeesh...

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yikes and gazook! 3 losses in a row to sub'.500 teams. I got nuthin" to say... except ... yeesh...
2 of which were home games. I didn't watch any of the games, but did watch the "highlights" of all 3. Lillard sat out the first 2 games and Giannis sat out last nights game. I couldn't help but notice that at times, Rivers had many of the bench players in. They should have a policy of: "If you attend a home game and starters play less than a combined total of 75% of the game, you can get a refund on your ticket." :coffee:

One thing I appreciated about Buds teams, for the most part, they looked like they were out there trying their best every game. The clips I saw from yesterdays game, looked like a team going through the motions.

I am just guessing, but I doubt Rivers and the players have given up on the season. Perhaps Doc is resting guys as much as he can, getting valuable playing time for others and seeing what combinations work. Well that might work for getting into the playoffs, when you take over a team that was in the Bucks position at the time Doc came in. However, this team is 4 losses away from being the 8th seed. They may think that they can coast into the playoffs, turn up the heat and make it into the finals, but they are more likely to get swept in the first round playing like they did the last 3 games.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They're slowly giving away any potential home court advantage for the playoffs, and are not very good on the road this year. It's a total failure. Between the GM and coaching, along with the trades, this team has been systematically destroyed. I don't like what's coming, with the team being broken up, but it is about to happen.

I probably won't live to see them be a power again. I'll never understand why they wanted to get losers to run their program. Herb Kohl would have never tolerated this crap. He loved his team, and the players. He was part of it, because to him, the players were family. That's why guys like Jhrue Holiday would have still been there, and this team would be hitting on all cylinders. There would be coaches on the sideline that considered the players as part of their family.

One of the worst jobs of managing any pro sports team I've ever seen, and I saw this one coming two years ago, when the whole thing started to disintegrate. I hate being right on this one. It does not feel good, and at my age, I'll probably never see them rise to the top again. Thanks for nothing Horst! You're an idiot, who makes stupid trades, and the head coaches you bring in are nearly as stupid as you are. They're there, to collect the checks, and the severance, after they are let go because of your incompetence.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like all the sports forums, I hope this kind of situation will silence those that use the 'they're professionals' excuse for clearly bad choices by GMs and coaches.

OP
OP
weeds

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
If they are saving themselves for the playoffs, they'll be starting from a dead stop

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If they are saving themselves for the playoffs, they'll be starting from a dead stop
With only 5 regular season games left, they better start stepping on the gas or they may find themselves playing the Cavaliers in the first round as the 7th seed.

Their last 5 games are pretty rough too:

@Magic (45-32)
@ Thunder (52-25)
Magic (45-32)
Celtics (61-16)
Knicks (45-32)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Or some small coconuts. Believe it or not, my high school's cheerleading crew caught hell for using that chant on a dare. In the mid 70's, that was pretty egregious... but our huddle just about died laughing...
I was a certain Mascot in College and got reprimanded for giving opposing hockey Goalies the old "putting a hex on him with my hands" thing. :rolleyes:

Someone called and complained that it was "unsportsmanlike". Some people just need to get a life.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The nba is unwatchable...rules need to change and get rid of the entire officiating crew. The bucks won a title and I was astonished.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was a certain Mascot in College and got reprimanded for giving opposing hockey Goalies the old "putting a hex on him with my hands" thing. :rolleyes:

Someone called and complained that it was "unsportsmanlike". Some people just need to get a life.

Get a life is at the bottom of the list of things they need to do. They carry that same attitude to their children, and everything the kid does is just wonderful, because, after all, nobody is keeping score. Laud the kids for not even trying, and boost their confidence level.

Of course, when the kid hits the real world, they find out that failing at something doesn't get you a lollipop, but sacked from a job, or kicked out of school, they run home to Mommy & Daddy for "recertification" of their self worth which has been so badly damaged.

They never end up understanding what life is really all about.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Bucks are done. I'm not going to believe for a heartbeat that they're playing up to their potential. Not even close to it. They're nothing more than bottom feeders at this point, because of their play. Watching the game against the Knicks was like watching a replay of the, "I don't want to be here anymore," comments that I'd guess a lot of players are saying behind closed doors.

Then I read about how Jhrue Holiday, who was traded as if he didn't matter, by Horst. Jhrue is the difference maker for the Celtics, and the reason they're going to stomp the Bucks and everyone else in the East to get to the finals. They're probably going to win it all.

I'm sick about what the ownership has allowed Horst to do to this team. They're fools!

OP
OP
weeds

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Holiday was the guy in my book. Lillard, in my book is just here for his next big gig.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Well....that was the Bucks you want playing in the playoffs. Of course The Celtics were down 2 players and had zero motivation to win.

Losing Giannis for the playoffs? Even for the first round, probably ends the Bucks season.
Odd non-contact injuries, hope it isn't an Achilles.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well....that was the Bucks you want playing in the playoffs. Of course The Celtics were down 2 players and had zero motivation to win.

Losing Giannis for the playoffs? Even for the first round, probably ends the Bucks season.
Odd non-contact injuries, hope it isn't an Achilles.
I hurt my soleus pushing a weighted sled at the gym a few months ago. LTF is right - to us non-MDs it's a calf strain. It can be extremely painful. I could walk on it fine but could not stress it, so no running. Took about a month to heal. So maybe that's two weeks for Giannis. Hopefully it's not worse......

Last edited: