Hip Drop Tackle

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another rule to hurt the defense. Need to leave things alone. Tackling is hard enough. The league stated that 15 players were injured for 230 Hip Drop tackles. Pretty soon it could be flag football.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another rule to hurt the defense. Need to leave things alone. Tackling is hard enough. The league stated that 15 players were injured for 230 Hip Drop tackles. Pretty soon it could be flag football.
Less ankle & knee injuries is a good thing. Maybe players will, once again, learn to hit & wrap up instead of grab & fall? IMHO a win for player health.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There'll be a lot of 220 lb running backs dragging 180-190 lb corners 6 yards for 1st downs, partly because the CBs will be afraid of the flags. And there'll be a lot of flags the first couple of months as the refs establish the rule.

We're going to see a ton of 3rd and short stops turn into 1st and 10s, and a lot of replays showing the fans at home what a poor job the refs are doing - because this is going to extremely difficult to enforce accurately and consistently. Games will be lost because of this rule.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There'll be a lot of 220 lb running backs dragging 180-190 lb corners 6 yards for 1st downs, partly because the CBs will be afraid of the flags. And there'll be a lot of flags the first couple of months as the refs establish the rule.

We're going to see a ton of 3rd and short stops turn into 1st and 10s, and a lot of replays showing the fans at home what a poor job the refs are doing - because this is going to extremely difficult to enforce accurately and consistently. Games will be lost because of this rule.
Many of the knee injuries last season were either DB's diving into WR/TE's knees, & LB's hip-dropping RB's. I don't remember seeing CB's hip-dropping on tackles as they're usually moving forward on tackles of RB's. As per usual, the officials will need Tommy John elbow surgery from tossing their flags...but if players aren't getting ACL's torn by D players laying on their knees/ankles I'm OK with the change.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought I read that that won't be a rule this year. And actually, I read a sort of definition but did not understand what a hip drop tackle is. It sounded like dragging a ball carrier down and landing on his leg or something. Immediately I thought of Q. Does he tackle like that?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not high-end football, but when I was in high school, our coach knew that we were much smaller than all of our competition. He told us that if we didn't get the guy down on the initial waist tackle, to drop down slightly and wrap up the legs. Today's players are so massive, that they just use their body mass. To me it's just lazy tackling.

I'm okay with this being legislated out of the game. I think that they should allow the clothes-line tackle again though! :D

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like a tackle to me.
Notice the full body weight of tackler landing on ball carrier's ankles/knees? If we, as fans, are ok with players losing season(s) to preventable injuries then let them play. Imho, hip-drop is an efficient, yet dangerous technique that should go the way of clothesline, horsecollar, & chop block.

Last edited:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My opinion on this is it won't really change much. A few more penalties here and there but overall the game won't change. So many people are crying that they are ruining the game and that the game has changed so much with all these rules. A few minor rules changes and a change in strategies maybe but the game is still 90-95% the same as it was 50 years ago or even more. The ball will still be snapped, handed off or thrown and the defense will try to stop the guy. No one will notice this change except for the few penalties that will be called and even then it will be no big deal.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Its hard to take anything safety related seriously as long as we have Thursday night football LOL
No kidding. And a 17 game season. League is just picking as many nits around the edges that they can hoping it all adds up to something meaningful.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
My opinion on this is it won't really change much. A few more penalties here and there but overall the game won't change. So many people are crying that they are ruining the game and that the game has changed so much with all these rules. A few minor rules changes and a change in strategies maybe but the game is still 90-95% the same as it was 50 years ago or even more. The ball will still be snapped, handed off or thrown and the defense will try to stop the guy. No one will notice this change except for the few penalties that will be called and even then it will be no big deal.
I'm for this new rule only if an offensive player gets flagged 15 and loss of down for leaping to avoid being tackled.
A player with the ball that leaps to avoid tackler is self creating a defenseless player and any/all manners of illegal tackles as well as throat punches should be allowed and will be accompanied by offensive penalties of 15 and loss of down.

I'm sick and tired of defensive players getting flagged for everything in case you haven't noticed. It's time for serious retribution!

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO in the long run this will lead to less injuries than it will to penalties eventually.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
IMO in the long run this will lead to less injuries than it will to penalties eventually.
Hopefully that is the case. I just feel there is going to be a grey area, and some penalties will be called, that shouldn't, and will effect the game. I feel that if a flag is thrown, it should be reviewed to confirm the call... at least for the first year, while players and refs adjust.

OP
OP
milani

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Notice the full body weight of tackler landing on ball carrier's ankles/knees? If we, as fans, are ok with players losing season(s) to preventable injuries then let them play. Imho, hip-drop is an efficient, yet dangerous technique that should go the way of clothesline, horecollar, & chop block.
We used that tackle when we were 12 years old. You had to tackle someone 3 years older and it was like trying to pull down a Brahma bull.

Members online

Latest posts