Good News about the Offense

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Despite the offense's seeming ineptitude, the road offense is actually putting up more points than last year.

2014- 21 ppg on the road
2015- 24.8 ppg on the road

Not a huge improvement, but a small one. A little bit of optimism in case we need to go on the road in the playoffs.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But people will cry because we are not winning pretty and we are getting them all their stupid fantasy points.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problems are the 3 and outs and the 3rd and shorts. But I'm optimistic.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But people will cry because we are not winning pretty and we are getting them all their stupid fantasy points.

Don't do fantasy, so won't address why people are crying about that. However, I am concerned about ugly wins (and shudder at the 'a win-is-a-win' philosophy). The only game in which I'm not worried about that is the Super Bowl. For all the games leading up to it, I look at an ugly win and wonder what that promises for the future - I'm much more comfortable with a win that shows a good all-around game that indicates the Pack could repeat the process. As always, personal opinion, but not invalid.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Same here, although it appears that definitions impact this thread as they do all others - a close win isn't necessarily, in my opinion, an ugly win, nor is a big win necessarily pretty.

Wynnebeck

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From now until the Super Bowl if they won ugly (by from 1-3 points every game) I would be as happy as I would be astonished.

Didn't the Packers win ugly all the way up to the SB in 2010? The ATL game was the only game I remember them firing on all cylinders.

OP
OP
red4tribe

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't the Packers win ugly all the way up to the SB in 2010? The ATL game was the only game I remember them firing on all cylinders.

The Bears win was pretty ugly, but I wouldn't say the Eagles or Steelers games were. We just got ahead early and put them into too big a hole to climb out of.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Bears win was pretty ugly, but I wouldn't say the Eagles or Steelers games were. We just got ahead early and put them into too big a hole to climb out of.

The Bears win WAS ugly. But when are Bear-Packer contests ever a thing of beauty? Mistakes on both sides. We had a chance to go up by 17 but Urlacher picked ARod and then lets no. 12 trip him up. An INT off Driver's foot. Our big break came when Cutler and his back up went down and the Bears had to finish the game with their no. 3 QB. The kid did OK rallying the Bears but 2 INTs in crunch time finally let us win.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You guys must be talking specifically about the playoffs, right? Otherwise, those references make no sense to me. The 2010 season was the one in which they never lost by more than four, never trailed by more than a TD, where "next man up" was indeed the mantra, and where several of the wins were total blowouts. Even someone like me had to be impressed - I always thought they were out of the big picture, and they kept proving me wrong.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You guys must be talking specifically about the playoffs, right? Otherwise, those references make no sense to me. The 2010 season was the one in which they never lost by more than four, never trailed by more than a TD, where "next man up" was indeed the mantra, and where several of the wins were total blowouts. Even someone like me had to be impressed - I always thought they were out of the big picture, and they kept proving me wrong.
Yes, that was specifically about the playoffs. We had two ugly OT losses during the regular season to the Skins and Dolphins. Some of that was precipitated by not having a running back most of the season due to Ryan Grant's Week One injury. Starks did not become activated until the 9ers game. We also had the horrific 7-3 loss in Detroit where Rodgers suffered the concussion going into halftime. We had to play 2 quarters without him there and 4 quarters without him in New England the week following that.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The "winning ugly" thing is a problem because this team doesn't have the defense to make it work... Like they did in 2010.

The offensive problems are not going away this season and that is a problem.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No more expectations so anything good that happens from here on out will be gratefully accepted.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No more expectations so anything good that happens from here on out will be gratefully accepted.

Also on a bright note... The Packers are now 4 of 6 on two point conversions. Tied for the second best percentage of any team with more than one attempt.

Sadly the two they missed were to tie the game. But has anyone given out the math on whether going for 2 every time could be worth it?

Wouldn't it be a good idea statistically to really work on plays from the two? I mean it's an extra 1 point per touchdown. Seems like kind of big deal if you could do it somewhat reliably. (over 50%)

Edit: Perhaps I should be making a separate thread on this topic.

Last edited: