Fußball-Bundesliga

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
That sounds like a terrible experience with LH, Croak.
Very often German Companies and the word "service" simply do not fit together.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
It looks like the boys and I will be able to go to the National Team game in Washington D.C. :tup: I'm going to go decked out in my Germany shirt and hat and see what kind of reactions I get! :cool:

OP
OP
PackerFan71

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
It looks like the boys and I will be able to go to the National Team game in Washington D.C. :tup: I'm going to go decked out in my Germany shirt and hat and see what kind of reactions I get! :cool:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cool :tup:
I think you wont be the only one. :)
But I guess you would route for your National Team if it wouldnt be a friendly match ? I am right ? ;)

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Good enough reason, i've no German links but ill be cheering them in the World Cup, but only because Scotland wont be there.:rolleyes:

Interesting but a sad truth. In WWII my Dad and some uncles fought on the Allied side. Their second Cousins were in the Luftwaffe. There are a lot of my family from down in Bavaria. I met a couple of them here in the states.

OP
OP
PackerFan71

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Interesting but a sad truth. In WWII my Dad and some uncles fought on the Allied side. Their second Cousins were in the Luftwaffe. There are a lot of my family from down in Bavaria. I met a couple of them here in the states.

Actually yes there are slight links now i come to think of it, similar story to yours my father also fought for the Allies during WWII. I think he was in the Artillery, and he was in parts of Germany and Austria. I remember him saying the region was spectacular. He always wanted to go back at some point.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
The USA is simply a land of immigration. Every time when we visit the US we have interesting conversations with people with german roots.
Its always the same situation and starts like this :D :
Q: "Hey, are you guys from Wisconin?" (Because of my Packers hat or my wifes Badgers shirts ;) )
A: "No, we are Packers fans but we are from Germany".
Q: "Packers fans from Germany ? Awesome. Where do you live in Germany ?"
A: "We are from Hamburg, northern part of Germany."
Q: "Do you know xxxxx (Heilbronn, Stuttgart..) ? My grandfather, father, cousin, uncle, I..... was born there........." :)

This time in Phoenix we met a former US Air Force officer who was based in Hanau (near Frankfurt) and married a german wife and is now living near Las Cruces and in Tucson we met a sales assistant in a shop with name "Trudy" (born as Gertrude) whose family is living in the Stuttgart area.

My grandfather had to fight in WW II, on the German side, and never talked about war until I was a teen because of his horrible experiences.
When I went to Scotland for the first time an older collegue of my father told me his story that I didnt know before.
He was in Scotland as a prisoner of war and had to work on a farm somewhere in Scotland. He made friends with the farm owner and his family and after beeing released he returned almost every year to visit the family and his beloved Scotland.

PackerFan71, Marko Marin on starting line-up? :rolleyes:

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I spoke with one of our family members who was in the Luftwaffe. He said he was first captured by the Russians, then sent to a French prison camp, then to an English one. He said the English treated them the best of all. After the war he received a "care" package from someone in Texas with a brand new suit in it. He couldn't understand why someone from Texas would send him (a German) a suit after that horrible war. So he decided in his terms "I must see this country, America." He came over for a visit and decided to stay in the U.S. He found a wife in the upper midwest and actually touched a lot of people in his own small way before he died just a couple years ago. Ironically I visited him a couple times at his home in Gettysburg of all places.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I spoke with one of our family members who was in the Luftwaffe. He said he was first captured by the Russians, then sent to a French prison camp, then to an English one. He said the English treated them the best of all. After the war he received a "care" package from someone in Texas with a brand new suit in it. He couldn't understand why someone from Texas would send him (a German) a suit after that horrible war. So he decided in his terms "I must see this country, America." He came over for a visit and decided to stay in the U.S. He found a wife in the upper midwest and actually touched a lot of people in his own small way before he died just a couple years ago. Ironically I visited him a couple times at his home in Gettysburg of all places.

Thats a nice, moving story.
Nowadays most of us have a love-hate relationship with the US. ;)

OP
OP
PackerFan71

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
The USA is simply a land of immigration. Every time when we visit the US we have interesting conversations with people with german roots.
Its always the same situation and starts like this :D :
Q: "Hey, are you guys from Wisconin?" (Because of my Packers hat or my wifes Badgers shirts ;) )
A: "No, we are Packers fans but we are from Germany".
Q: "Packers fans from Germany ? Awesome. Where do you live in Germany ?"
A: "We are from Hamburg, northern part of Germany."
Q: "Do you know xxxxx (Heilbronn, Stuttgart..) ? My grandfather, father, cousin, uncle, I..... was born there........." :)

This time in Phoenix we met a former US Air Force officer who was based in Hanau (near Frankfurt) and married a german wife and is now living near Las Cruces and in Tucson we met a sales assistant in a shop with name "Trudy" (born as Gertrude) whose family is living in the Stuttgart area.

My grandfather had to fight in WW II, on the German side, and never talked about war until I was a teen because of his horrible experiences.
When I went to Scotland for the first time an older collegue of my father told me his story that I didnt know before.
He was in Scotland as a prisoner of war and had to work on a farm somewhere in Scotland. He made friends with the farm owner and his family and after beeing released he returned almost every year to visit the family and his beloved Scotland.

PackerFan71, Marko Marin on starting line-up? :rolleyes:

Thats funny! all that you have written there is exactly what i and many others from the Outer Isles hear all the time when we meet people with similar heritage, it must be the same for everyone the world over. :)

The normal German people at the time were only doing their job and their duty. Its those at the top that were to blame for everything and caused such misery, my dad also worked as a farmhand in Germany. he got to know and like many Germans they were just normal people like he was.

Yep appears he was in the squad a 2-1 defeat :rolleyes: Benitez magic strikes again!;) No matter both will be gone in the summer.

OP
OP
PackerFan71

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score

Nice story im glad for his sake he got away from the Russians.

OP
OP
PackerFan71

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
This has been the highest defeat in our 125 year club history.
Well done players and coach, please quit ! :mad:
Btw, no practice today and tomorrow - well deserved ! :rolleyes:

Its a sore one alright, sooner or later a result happens like that to every team. But i'm sure that does not make you feel any better, hey at least it was not a Final or something just 3 points. FCB will be thinking they are the lords of creation now, (pride comes before a fall.) ;) I remember in the 80s the mighty Liverpool lost something like 1-6 away to Luton Town on their plastic pitch, so if it can happen to them it can happen to anyone.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Its a sore one alright, sooner or later a result happens like that to every team. But i'm sure that does not make you feel any better, hey at least it was not a Final or something just 3 points. FCB will be thinking they are the lords of creation now, (pride comes before a fall.) ;) I remember in the 80s the mighty Liverpool lost something like 1-6 away to Luton Town on their plastic pitch, so if it can happen to them it can happen to anyone.

Mia San Mia....:ninja:

Members online

Latest posts