Fire Joe Barry -- Updated -- he's gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Big ole disagree on that. In fact quite the opposite. Barry isn't some 1st year D coordinator. There's a pretty large body of work that you can look at that says he shouldn't have the job and useing a 3 game sample size with one of those games being against a 3rd string QB and another on against Justin Fields as justification for even possibly keeping him is the definition of a knee jerk reaction
Yet here the Packers are, in the Divisional Round, after the D scored 6, set the offense up for another 6 and held the Cowboys to 16 b4 garbage time. Should have fired Barry at halftime. :rolleyes:

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yet here the Packers are, in the Divisional Round, after the D scored 6, set the offense up for another 6 and held the Cowboys to 16 b4 garbage time. Should have fired Barry at halftime. :rolleyes:
I'm not sure what point your making. Yes Barry called a good game against a good offense. 1 game

Let's just brush over his entire tenure as a D coordinator cause well that one game he had the D play great.

Seriously that's all it takes? Yeah totally not a knee jerk reaction

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The last few games we have not looked like we are just going to let them march down the field practically at will. I like that. Our pass defenders swarm to the ball and we are tackling better. Even on 2nd and 2 we have a chance to make them punt. I hope McDuffie is on. I don't mind seeing Campbell in for passing downs but I like McDuffie out there the rest of the time.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Naturally I have been pleased with the defense’s performance over the past few games.

(There have been whispers that LaFleur himself has taken a bit of a more hands-on role with the defense in that same period. Of course it’s conjecture, but do we know how much of our recent successes should be attributed to Barry rather than LaFleur?)

However, on the whole, I think if you were to look at Barry’s entire body of work for his time in Green Bay… I’d suspect you’d find that the bad or “below average” defensive performances would still outweigh the good or “above average” defensive performances and I suspect the margin between the two would not be terribly close.

Of course we have no choice but to ride it out for the time being but I’m not sure that is a recipe for long-term success.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
(There have been whispers that LaFleur himself has taken a bit of a more hands-on role with the defense in that same period. Of course it’s conjecture, but do we know how much of our recent successes should be attributed to Barry rather than LaFleur?)

How is is just conjecture? MLF stated clearly that going forward he would have more of a role on the defensive side.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Issue I have is Barry always seems to play to the opposition. Standout D against KC and Detroit 2nd time, even Dallas last year. But then we'd get lit up by 3rd string QBs without a running game. Makes me feel better about this weeks tryst.
Anyone else notice that LVN and Enagbare were playing a lot on 1 & 2nd downs the past few games? Saving Gary & Preston for pass rush duties? Those four were rotating in & out almost as much as the linemen.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who was the guy everybody wanted fired before they wanted Barry fired? And the guy before that?

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How is is just conjecture? MLF stated clearly that going forward he would have more of a role on the defensive side.
I don’t think any of us can say with any confidence how much can be specifically attributed to LaFleur at this point. Ergo, we can know that LaFleur has taken on more defensive responsibility (though again - how much is not clear), but I don’t know that any of us have any insider info regarding exactly which changes he’s responsible for and which are possibly being done by Barry himself still.

Mind you, I have no desire to see Barry retained beyond this season. I just don’t know that any of us have much of an informed understanding on LaFleur vs Barry’s defensive responsibilities beyond our own speculation.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who was the guy everybody wanted fired before they wanted Barry fired? And the guy before that?
How far back do you want to go - until we get to someone who shouldn't have been fired, as in when the last time they has a really good D?

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t think any of us can say with any confidence how much can be specifically attributed to LaFleur at this point. Ergo, we can know that LaFleur has taken on more defensive responsibility (though again - how much is not clear), but I don’t know that any of us have any insider info regarding exactly which changes he’s responsible for and which are possibly being done by Barry himself still.

Okay, so you're saying the degree to which he has intervened is conjecture. It kind of sounded like the idea that he has had input at all was conjecture. Either way, there has been substantial improvement and observable changes since he made that statement.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm not sure what point your making. Yes Barry called a good game against a good offense. 1 game

Let's just brush over his entire tenure as a D coordinator cause well that one game he had the D play great.

Have you been following the conversation or just another random poster chiming in with doom and gloom?

I will repeat what I said to someone else who came in with guns blazing wanting Barry fired....no matter what!

I think most of us have not anointed Barry as the second coming. Nor have many of us not said "if this continues". I agree with you that giving JB a new 5 year contract based on Sunday alone would be a knee jerk reaction, but keeping the possibility of keeping him another year open, given the last 3 games, isn't.

Vikings: 10 points
Bears: 9 points
Cowboys: 16 points (before starters pulled with game in hand)

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he has changed and decided to play players who are playing together and playing/tackling very well instead of just the higher draft pick. And if he is now playing tighter in coverage and linebackers closer to the los so that the other team can't just march down the field. And then tighten up when they get close to scoring. Then I see no reason not to keep him. But why give him a big contract? If he does not like that; I have no problem with letting him walk. But we have looked a lot different recently.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have you been following the conversation or just another random poster chiming in with doom and gloom?

I will repeat what I said to someone else who came in with guns blazing wanting Barry fired....no matter what!
So you reposted the exact post that I quoted from you. So I'm once again not sure what exactly point you think your making

How exactly is is the idea of keeping the possibility of retaining him open based on a 3 game sample after seeing a complete body of work from him not a knee jerk reaction like you said?

You said it. I replied to it. It's the definition of a knee jerk reaction. Hense my replies.

Don't say something isn't a knee jerk reaction when what your saying clearly is

Now saying fired "no matter what" simply isn't a true statement. If that's your point ill agree with it. If the Packers win the SB obviously he isn't getting fired as an example. But that isn't just a 3 game sample size against two bad offenses now is it

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

You said it. I replied to it. It's the definition of a knee jerk reaction. Hense my replies.

Don't say something isn't a knee jerk reaction when what your saying clearly is
Again, it wasn't 1 game, it was 3. There have also been several games under Barry when the defense played well.

You calling posts discussing Barry's future a "knee jerk reaction" is incorrect.

I will say it again and this time slower.

I

H A V E

N O T

M A D E

T H E

C L A I M

T H A T

J O E

B A R R Y

S H O U L D

BE

R E T..........A I N E D

S I M P L Y

B E C A U S E

OF

T H E

R E S U L T S

OF

T H E

D A L L A S

G A M E ! ! ! !

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If he has changed and decided to play players who are playing together and playing/tackling very well instead of just the higher draft pick. And if he is now playing tighter in coverage and linebackers closer to the los so that the other team can't just march down the field. And then tighten up when they get close to scoring. Then I see no reason not to keep him. But why give him a big contract? If he does not like that; I have no problem with letting him walk. But we have looked a lot different recently.

I think you also have to look at the players and what they may or may not be doing differently. If Joe Barry isn't getting them to play at their highest level, on a consistent basis, is it because of his scheme? His staff? Players don't like him? When they do play well and they have proven that they can, why the change?

MLF is going to have a lot to think over when the season is done when it comes to Barry. Midway through this season, I think he did everything he could not to fire Joe Barry. Now he is going to have to go through everything again and include the final 4-7 games, players attitudes, etc. Won't be as easy of a decision as most think.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again, it wasn't 1 game, it was 3. There have also been several games under Barry when the defense played well.

You calling posts discussing Barry's future a "knee jerk reaction" is incorrect.

I will say it again and this time slower.

I

H A V E

N O T

M A D E

T H E

C L A I M

T H A T

J O E

B A R R Y

S H O U L D

BE

R E T..........A I N E D

S I M P L Y

B E C A U S E

OF

T H E

R E S U L T S

OF

T H E

D A L L A S

G A M E ! ! ! !
Type in all caps all you want. YOU still were making a knee jerk reaction by pointing to a 3 game sample while claiming it wasn't a knee jerk reaction to do so

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Type in all caps all you want. YOU still were making a knee jerk reaction by pointing to a 3 game sample while claiming it wasn't a knee jerk reaction to do so
Well it's a start. At least I got you to acknowledge that most of us are looking at more than just 1 game. Big picture.

Try to enjoy the game on Saturday!

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well it's a start. At least I got you to acknowledge that most of us are looking at more than just 1 game. Big picture.

Try to enjoy the game on Saturday!
lol wow. I said from the start to look at his body of work and not use a 3 game (2 of which were against bad offenses) sample size to say "well maybe he isnt bad". WTF are you talking about?

Take your own advise. Big picture. Not the small sample size

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol wow. I said from the start to look at his body of work and not use a 3 game (2 of which were against bad offenses) sample size to say "well maybe he isnt bad". WTF are you talking about?

I will say this much: If Barry's defense manages to hold SF to say, under 20 points (not including trash time if we somehow end up with a big 4th quarter lead again) then I'm fine with keeping him on a one year, "prove-you've-figured-it-out" deal. But even then, I'd rather see him replaced. Rex Ryan has to be getting bored with sitting behind a desk, wouldn't you think?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Like I said, I hope you enjoy the game on Saturday and we will all have to wait until the season is over (hopefully around 9pm on Feb. 11th) to find out Barry's fate.

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I think there are two main reasons why Barry's defense has turned it around here late:

1) I think LaFleur probably told him or allowed him or advised him to stop playing so passive in terms of pressure and coverage schemes.

2) The offense started moving the ball consistently, which forced opposing offenses into more of a predictable script.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone else notice that LVN and Enagbare were playing a lot on 1 & 2nd downs the past few games? Saving Gary & Preston for pass rush duties? Those four were rotating in & out almost as much as the linemen.
Unfortunately Enagbare hurt his knee & won't be playing Saturday night. PS elevation or rookie Cox will needto join this Edge rotation & perform admirably.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I cannot waffle on Barry. Dallas played as bad as they possibly could and our offense was on fire. They have large cards for defensive calls due to Barry's communication issues. The defense is more talent than coaching. Pettine Barry Capers were all horrendously bad. Turn the page when his contract is up regardless, because there are better DC's out there that will attack and communicate with the players, and not play 10 yards off the LOS on 3rd and 4. Good if not great young team is what I see. Make them even better by getting them a decent DC.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Barry should still be gone regardless of what happens with the rest of the season.

He will at least (well, so far) be able to at least leave with his head up and not in a state of shame. So for that, good for him.

That's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online